Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Got the Ravenloft book and I love it. But why doesn't it list the monsters alignment.

Is there any guidance in the new ravenloft book regarding various divination/detection spells? I understand that any commune with higher power potentially allows the darklord to intervene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So the most likely thing on everyone's minds is...

How did they handle the Vistani?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

change my name posted:

It's because you can make them whatever you want. Maybe that carrionette is evil, but maybe you run into a little killer doll who's actually possessed by a kid ghost and just wants to play, not really hurt people. Or whatever. It's WoTC moving towards a "let the DM decide who is good or evil" system rather than imposing racial alignments.

The nonsensical alignment system in D&D has become more and more of a vestigial organ, first in practice if not in word, so it's legit good to see this is progressing along.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
So are any of the class changes and expanded abilities from Tasha's Cauldron objectively bad or unbalanced? Many of the changes seem like much needed balance updates but with the silly "oPtIoNaL aSk YoUr DM" framing it's really hard to tell if the changes should be treated like an errata or if any are like "use at your own risk" rules.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Not Keyser Soze posted:

So are any of the class changes and expanded abilities from Tasha's Cauldron objectively bad or unbalanced? Many of the changes seem like much needed balance updates but with the silly "oPtIoNaL aSk YoUr DM" framing it's really hard to tell if the changes should be treated like an errata or if any are like "use at your own risk" rules.

every single thing in dnd 5e is given this treatment for better or for worse. nothing from tashas is going to be an issue unless players were using some awful class or absolutely screwed their build by doing something like charisma ranger

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Not Keyser Soze posted:

There's some fairly obvious power boosting; the Tasha's Beastmaster is pretty obviously not balanced with the PHB one and the sorcerer bloodlines give you extra spells. But it's boosting the underpowered stuff - the only things I'd side-eye are the new cleric domains.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The nonsensical alignment system in D&D has become more and more of a vestigial organ, first in practice if not in word, so it's legit good to see this is progressing along.

I played in a game a while back that where the DM would have NPCs "detect as" an alignment based on what they'd actually done recently. So, as a paladin, I could track evil acts, regardless of the creature's theoretical alignment, and conversely I couldn't track a supposedly evil creature that hadn't been up to anything recently. I wouldn't mind seeing that become the accepted standard, let Paladins detect evil actions, let protection from evil defend against evil attacks, etc etc. Might depend on a bit too much on the DM and group but I'm sure they could make some clear bullet points for adventure league or whatever.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Libertad! posted:

So the most likely thing on everyone's minds is...

How did they handle the Vistani?

Much like in the CoS, they're no longer Roma stereotypes of thieves and murderers. In fact, they made it so the "Vistani" who turned Van Rcihten's child over to vampires were not actually Vistani, but pretendde to be for nefarious purposes.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Megazver posted:

They're all Hella Evil, I imagine.

I was gonna make a joke of asking where Hella Evil fits on the traditional alignment matrix, but anyone who's played DnD knows that the answer is actually True Neutral.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Mash posted:

I was gonna make a joke of asking where Hella Evil fits on the traditional alignment matrix, but anyone who's played DnD knows that the answer is actually True Neutral.

Don't know about their place in the matrix, but their Outer Plane is the Double Hell:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Sorry for the stupid annoying interruption but I'm thoroughly confused about adventurer's league concept. The D&D website says that you can play AL games anywhere, including game stores, in your own home, or online, like Roll20. They also says the adventurer's league is currently running the Rime of the Frost Maiden, which is extremely my jam - brutal, barren, frozen wastelands on the outskirts of the world? Yes please. I've never played a rollplaying game (except for Hero Quest) so I figured this is the perfect starting point. Well obviously board game stores are a no-go right now, so I filter on Roll20 for games that are AL, and nothing comes up. I search for Rime of the Frost Maiden, nothing comes up.
Am I missing something? Has literally everybody just bounced off AL and Rime and is doing their own thing instead?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Much like in the CoS, they're no longer Roma stereotypes of thieves and murderers. In fact, they made it so the "Vistani" who turned Van Rcihten's child over to vampires were not actually Vistani, but pretendde to be for nefarious purposes.

That's good, although that really just covers what they are not anymore. Does it expand on them much as a people and culture? How are other things handled, like the use of tarot cards and that inborn "evil eye" thing?

Also can PCs be Vistani, or are they still a mysterious NPC only group?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Libertad! posted:

That's good, although that really just covers what they are not anymore. Does it expand on them much as a people and culture? How are other things handled, like the use of tarot cards and that inborn "evil eye" thing?

Also can PCs be Vistani, or are they still a mysterious NPC only group?

quote:

Vistani

Known throughout the Land of the Mists, Vistani (singular: Vistana) are a people with a unique understanding of the Domains of Dread and the hidden paths between them. Following itinerant traditions, many Vistani travel between domains, learning much of hidden lands, the many faces of evil, and the strange wonders of the Mists. A people unto themselves, Vistani refuse to be captives of a single domain, the Mists, or any terror.

Vistani Culture

Unlike the denizens of individual domains, Vistani are inhabitants of the Land of the Mist as a whole. Although they trace their origins to the same world as Barovia, many Vistani look toward the future, learning from their traditions and from one another to better face whatever lies ahead.
Vistani bands consist primarily of one or more extended human families who can trace their heritage back to age-old Vistani clans. Over generations of exploring the Mists, though, individuals of other ancestries have been accepted into some clans and now are full-fledged members of Vistani culture (see the “Vistani Characters” sidebar for details).
As they travel, members of a Vistani band walk, ride on horseback, and drive ledge wagons, stopping at night to set up camp. Vistani bands occasionally camp near welcoming communities to trade and resupply, but rarely stay more than a week—though this can be complicated if a Darklord closes a domain’s borders. Most bands make their living primarily through craftwork (especially delicate silversmithing), horse rearing, and trading wares carried between domains.
Meetings between Vistani bands are opportunities to trade, catch up with friends, and share both news and warnings of dangers ahead or behind.

Vistani Magic and the Mists

Vistani pass their varied teachings through their families as stories and songs, detailing lessons learned from generations of travelers, warnings specific to visited domains, and traditional magic. Spellcasters aren’t uncommon among Vistani bands, with many favoring divination magic for the practical help it provides in avoiding danger. Spellcasters often incorporate their people’s traditional divination tools into their spellcasting, including the fortune-telling cards called tarokka decks.
With their experience navigating the Mists, many Vistani understand how to employ Mist talismans (detailed at the start of this chapter) to reach specific domains, or possess the Mist Walker Dark Gift (see chapter 1), allowing them to make their way between domains. Vistani don’t enter the Mists lightly, though, knowing that each such passage holds inherent danger. Caravan leaders ensure that every family member is accounted for before moving on, ensuring no one gets lost in the Mists.

Views of Vistani

Their travels across domains bring many Vistani into contact with a wide range of people. As the only outsiders that some remote communities see in the course of a year, the news and goods Vistani bring ensures a genuine welcome and renewal of longstanding trade relationships. Some more dismal communities view Vistani with suspicion, though, being wary of anyone who emerges from the Mists. But even these communities often find the lure of news and trade too tempting to forgo entirely.
Most people who live among the Domains of Dread know the following things about Vistani:

They don’t fear the Mists and can travel safely through the Mists to other lands.

They carry goods and stories from far-off lands.

They’re protective of their families, which includes members of other caravans.

Most don’t discuss their culture or beliefs with outsiders.

Their travel routes are unpredictable, and a community might go years without seeing a Vistani caravan.

Traveling with Vistani

Members of Vistani bands understand the disorienting, dangerous nature of the Mists better than anyone. Vistani caravans sometimes take pity on those who ask them for help, especially strangers from unfamiliar lands hopelessly searching for home, allowing such wayfarers to travel with them as far as the next settlement. In rare cases, a clan might even adopt a gracious, helpful traveler.
Characters who befriend or do right by members of a Vistani band might be allowed to take shelter or travel with a caravan for a time. But Vistani travelers quickly share tales of danger and of those who’ve wronged them with other caravans, and those who slight one Vistana often meet others who share a grudge against them.

VISTANI CHARACTERS
Being a Vistana makes a character part of a larger family and cultural tradition. Most Vistani are human, but many bands incorporate other peoples, particularly halflings, wood elves, orcs, and tieflings. Vistani have a range of skin, eye, and hair colors. When players create Vistani characters, consider asking them the following questions.
Did you leave your clan’s caravan? If so, are you seeking to right a wrong done to them, or to spare them from harm? If not, how do you balance your adventures with your family’s travels? Are there ways you and your family keep tabs on one another?
How much do you know about navigating the Mists? Do you know how to travel between domains? Do you use divination magic to guide your fate? Or do you know little about it, having left navigation to others?
How do you feel about being away from your people? Do you enjoy socializing with a variety of people? Did you seek a settled life? Do you want to finish your tasks quickly and return to your family?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

stratdax posted:

Sorry for the stupid annoying interruption but I'm thoroughly confused about adventurer's league concept. The D&D website says that you can play AL games anywhere, including game stores, in your own home, or online, like Roll20. They also says the adventurer's league is currently running the Rime of the Frost Maiden, which is extremely my jam - brutal, barren, frozen wastelands on the outskirts of the world? Yes please. I've never played a rollplaying game (except for Hero Quest) so I figured this is the perfect starting point. Well obviously board game stores are a no-go right now, so I filter on Roll20 for games that are AL, and nothing comes up. I search for Rime of the Frost Maiden, nothing comes up.
Am I missing something? Has literally everybody just bounced off AL and Rime and is doing their own thing instead?

That's weird, there might be some filters on Roll20 you didn't hit. I'm in a Frostmaiden game right now and saw more than one recruiting when I searched this week for open games

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are arcane focuses magical at all?

I'll probably DM fiat it so that yes, a PC looking for one could find traces of magic used on one, but I couldn't tell what the official ruling was.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Acerbatus posted:

I'll probably DM fiat it so that yes, a PC looking for one could find traces of magic used on one, but I couldn't tell what the official ruling was.

Pretty sure an arcane focus is no more magical than e.g. bat guano.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

no, and interestingly enough arcane focuses are not defined anywhere other than mechanically so they can look like whatever you want

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Dexo posted:

Vistani

Thank you for posting all that. They do seem to be portrayed better than prior editions, although that's not exactly a high bar and this section is rather brief for my liking.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Libertad! posted:

Thank you for posting all that. They do seem to be portrayed better than prior editions, although that's not exactly a high bar and this section is rather brief for my liking.

I skipped some stuff

quote:

Vistani Knowledge

Vistani travelers have a holistic perspective on the Domains of Dread and know the following secrets:

The Mists are more than weather and are manipulated by forces that seem fickle and often cruel.
The Mists can carry travelers between lands and can be coerced but never controlled.
Evil is real and embodied by individuals of terrible power.
Time, reality, and memory don’t always move in reliable ways, particularly between domains.
One might glimpse their fortune, but such things endlessly shift. Every soul makes their own fate.

Famed Vistani

Some Vistani are legends among their people, and their bands might be encountered anywhere. The individuals noted here number among the most famous Vistani band leaders:

Hyskosa. A renowned poet and storyteller, Hyskosa leads a caravan that embraces the Mists and goes where they lead it. As a result, his clan is unmoored from time and reality, appearing in different ages, in strange versions and configurations of domains, and even on worlds beyond the Domains of Dread. His lyrical accounts of his travels are often viewed as prophecies.

Madame Eva. A controversial figure among Vistani, Madame Eva made a bargain with the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich. As a result, the evils that lurk in Barovia avoid Vistani. However, Madame Eva and her followers occasionally ally with the infamous count, giving them a sinister reputation. Madame Eva and her unique band of Vistani are detailed in the adventure Curse of Strahd.

Mother Luba. The halfling Mother Luba is known for putting unquiet spirits to rest and transporting wayward souls through the Mists to their rightful homes. Those wicked spirits beyond her aid she trapped within her tarokka deck, which became known as Luba’s Tarokka of Souls (detailed in Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything).

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
Session two of curse of stradh with three pcs. I am a warlock along with a paladin and a cleric. We play 7 hour sessions.

We left daggerfell with the visani. We spent a lot of time milling around daggerfell and got to madame Eva. We started after the cards today. We proceeded to preform wonderfully at all interactions. He added an artificer that we befriended and agreed to help recover rare materials.

We were tricked into fighting three dire wolves by stradh and the paladin used divine sense, saw him, and we just destroyed the wolves by the road. We also challenged the old man's son to a contest, the paladin beat him in unarmed combat 65 hp vs 24 with a potion of heroism, and took him for his sword.

I presented the wolves as a heroes feast and we partied through the night. The visani know the pally as the captain beater and we are very well liked. We talked the chef into joining us as a sidekick, and set out for the village of barovia at level three. Paladin got us trapped in death house.

Super enjoying this campaign so far. Dm says we are killing it dragging it off rails and it feels so good.

Having a great time.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

I'm hoping to get back into running a campaign, but my last homebrew campaign eventually burnt me out, so I was hoping a published adventure would make things easier for me. Are there any published adventures that people really enjoyed running? Preferably around level 5.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How did Iron Kingdoms Requiem turn out, by the way?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

lightrook posted:

I'm hoping to get back into running a campaign, but my last homebrew campaign eventually burnt me out, so I was hoping a published adventure would make things easier for me. Are there any published adventures that people really enjoyed running? Preferably around level 5.

Mentioned in the past on this thread already but I'm currently running Odyssey of the Dragonlords, and really recommend it:

It's great if you like classic myths (Gods, titans, medusas, labyrinths, pretty much all of the callouts from the Ilyad, the Odyssey, the Argonautica etc.). It's written by former Bioware people - James Ohlen, Jesse Sky, and Drew Karpyshyn off the top of my head, so it has the staples of Bioware games: companion quests (for your PCs and for NPCs both), world-ending main quest, romanceable NPCs, which might not be everyone's cup of tea.

It's level 1-20 but you can easily skip the prologue for a higher level start if you want; the beginning can be a bit deadly at low levels so you can also start them at higher level and keep the prologue. Really enjoying it so far (we're about one third in I'd say), players are enjoying it too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lightrook posted:

Do Keep on the Borderlands followed up by Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. This is how I open almost all D&D campaigns, but I put some twist on it.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Do Keep on the Borderlands followed up by Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. This is how I open almost all D&D campaigns, but I put some twist on it.

Does the Goodman Games 5e version exist in PDF format?

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

It's print only for the Goodman OAR line.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poor life choice posted:

They exist but you can't buy the pdf :ninja:

Honestly I just run it straight from the 1e module. Aside from Armor Class the statistics for monsters are very similar between 1e and 5e

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

poor life choice posted:

5E is very strict about PDFs of official material, unfortunately.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Devorum posted:

5E is very strict about PDFs of official material, unfortunately.
:psyduck:
Why would Wizards of the Coast give them permission to use all the old art and writing, but forbid them from putting a PDF up on DMs guild?

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

Because WotC is a poo poo company.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ForkBanger posted:

Not an empty quote

The D&D stuff is the only thing in the Goodman store with no PDF.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wonder if lack of PDFs is because of some kind of exclusive that D&D Beyond has for digital on official content?

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Keep in mind the "Into the Borderlands" loads you down with treasure - +1 weapons and armor EVERYWHERE. Paladins with a 21 AC at level 3? It could happen TO YOU!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Wonder if lack of PDFs is because of some kind of exclusive that D&D Beyond has for digital on official content?

It's because of piracy concerns, it's a policy running back to 4e. The pirates just scan the book and OCR it themselves, it's very easy to do these days.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Arivia posted:

It's because of piracy concerns, it's a policy running back to 4e. The pirates just scan the book and OCR it themselves, it's very easy to do these days.

Oh yeah, totally doesn't happen anyway...

Also, for those who have Van Richten's (I'll buy it when it goes on sale), did they actually do anything with the combat wheelchair or establish solid rules for using it?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

change my name posted:

Also, for those who have Van Richten's (I'll buy it when it goes on sale), did they actually do anything with the combat wheelchair or establish solid rules for using it?

I haven't seen anything about a combat wheelchair or anything. Did they ever actually say they were gonna put one in or something?

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 20, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dexo posted:

I haven't seen anything about a combat wheelchair or anything. Did they ever actually say they were gonna put one in or something?

I saw people hyping it up and there are adventurers in wheelchairs in some of the official book art:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

change my name posted:

Not at all. Not only did they simply rip off Mustang's idea for a glorified photo-op, they did so without any consult from wheelchair users resulting in the unusable abomination in the art.

They've got a whole thread about it on Twitter.

Fake Combat Wheelchair

ForkBanger posted:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

change my name posted:

That's weird, there might be some filters on Roll20 you didn't hit. I'm in a Frostmaiden game right now and saw more than one recruiting when I searched this week for open games

Ok I figured out what I was doing wrong. Searching for "Rime" in the wrong place. Looks like most, if not all, the open games on roll20 are pay-to-play, which I wasn't expecting but makes sense. The Adventurer's League game group filter only returns one hit, a weekly lobby. So I guess I'll drop them a line and see what happens.
Btw I only need the player's handbook and I'm good to go yeah? I don't need the Rime of the Frostmaiden book itself, that's just for the GM right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

stratdax posted:

Ok I figured out what I was doing wrong. Searching for "Rime" in the wrong place. Looks like most, if not all, the open games on roll20 are pay-to-play, which I wasn't expecting but makes sense. The Adventurer's League game group filter only returns one hit, a weekly lobby. So I guess I'll drop them a line and see what happens.
Btw I only need the player's handbook and I'm good to go yeah? I don't need the Rime of the Frostmaiden book itself, that's just for the GM right?

You can search for only free games, I've never paid. And correct, the book is really only for the DM, there's no new classes or anything in there apart from two new spells (which my party never came across and we don't have a wizard anyways)