Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
:colbert: Joseph is the real JoJo of part 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hel posted:

Who watches every new tv series, plays every new game or reads every new book? It just seems really odd to expect that from anime people.

What's really funny about this, is that film and game journalists have, for years, kind of just been expected to play (and according to the Hardcore Gamers: Complete) or watch every major release if they wanted to have their opinions heard, it seems like a really lovely way to expect people to function and a great way to ensure that people make a lot of unmotivated reviews for things they give less than zero shits about.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hel posted:

Who watches every new tv series, plays every new game or reads every new book? It just seems really odd to expect that from anime people.
Given that all of the stuff is being produced by a fairly small number of companies, I'd say it's closer to the people who try to watch every single super hero tv show, cartoon, and movie. Or every horror movie. Both of which are real groups of people.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Nuebot posted:

What's really funny about this, is that film and game journalists have, for years, kind of just been expected to play (and according to the Hardcore Gamers: Complete) or watch every major release if they wanted to have their opinions heard, it seems like a really lovely way to expect people to function and a great way to ensure that people make a lot of unmotivated reviews for things they give less than zero shits about.

That's bad and way too much, but it's even just big mainstream game is still a smaller slice of the pie than every TV anime. And at least with games you aren't looked to broadcast times.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

lobster22221 posted:

I have been highly amused how horned up the internet has been for Lady Dimitrescu. Almost certainly played up by marketing, but funny as well

Based on what the RE8 devs have said, they were legitimately caught off guard by the internet being so horny for the giant woman, but made the smart decision to lean into it for marketing. This tragic(?) thing is that Lady D is not the major antagonist at all, and in fact dies pretty early in the game.

Also the bee daughters are hotter :colbert:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hel posted:

That's bad and way too much, but it's even just big mainstream game is still a smaller slice of the pie than every TV anime. And at least with games you aren't looked to broadcast times.

In the time it takes to finish the average AAA game you could watch several TV anime, and with those AAA games you have an even stricter timing window since the first week is the biggest week for reviews and such.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I make a point of keeping up with any music release that gets decent reviews. Sometimes it feels like a compulsion, and sometimes I find a gem that I'd never have heard otherwise. I'm under no illusion that I'll ever hear everything worth listening to, though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Didn't really care for Maggie Mae Fish's new one. It was basically half an hour of explaining Heidecker's joke. You could replace her example of Schneider with say Tim Allen and it would be the same thing. Even beyond that, it seems weird to draw the comparison with Schneider to begin with when the target of Heidecker's parody is other comedians.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I see that Jeremy Parish is now starting to use his Gaiden series to pair up several relevant games so he doesn't have to remaster episodes in a few years, which is probably good as he was starting to have completion dates around the 2040's several years ago before he started doing Sega titles, while Doctor Sparkle is slowly catching up after his really dire past few years.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 19, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maggie may poo poo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
people who actually try to keep up with anime seasons have severe brainworms, and I say this as an extremely brainwormed and way too online poster myself

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I have fun watching JoJo but I really wish less than 90% of the dialogue wasn’t just a character describing what is happening or about to happen. Araki has fun creative ideas but most of his characters come off so one-note and it is unfortunate that for a visual medium all the writing is dedicated towards description.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macaluso posted:

Based on what the RE8 devs have said, they were legitimately caught off guard by the internet being so horny for the giant woman, but made the smart decision to lean into it for marketing. This tragic(?) thing is that Lady D is not the major antagonist at all, and in fact dies pretty early in the game.

It's funny watching streamers and such get to... let's call it the second antagonist and be all 'there's more game?' And then we find out if they have a phobia about creepy dolls and/or giant fetuses.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Old Swerdlow posted:

I have fun watching JoJo but I really wish less than 90% of the dialogue wasnt just a character describing what is happening or about to happen. Araki has fun creative ideas but most of his characters come off so one-note and it is unfortunate that for a visual medium all the writing is dedicated towards description.

That's kinda a manga/anime thing, it's like every mangaka is really into Claremont-style fight dialogue. It works a bit for Jojo because things get so...bizarre that it's plausible that the characters go "wait wtf is happening oh"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It wouldn't be "anime" anime without loud and constant proclamations, declarations and other statements of the obvious.

Makes the shows and movies that use dialogue in understated and subtle ways stand out more, imo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

As he explains in the video, half of all anime tv shows that have ever been produced have come out since 2010. the scaling up of anime series in the last decade has been exponential, Kadokawa has recently said they're going to be producing 40 anime series per year, which is more than an entire season used to be, and that's a single company's output.

Anime is out of control.
it's absolutely out of control, it's bad for the artists who continue to be paid less than minimum wage at most studios, and it results in some serious quality issues with animation in several shows (farewell my dear cramer this season)

FOR THE CONSUMER THOUGH.............. it means that there are more decent-to-good shows to cherry pick even if you have to wade through more garbage. and that volume represents more variety in genre.

so for this season, you get a good balance of action (SSSS.dynazenon, back arrow, joran, continuation of jujutsu kaisen and demon slayer), drama (snow white notes, shadows house, to your eternity, moriarty the patriot), sci-fi (86, vivy, tokyo revengers), slice of life (super cub, let's make a mug too, dragon goes house hunting), and sports (megalobox, backflip, kabaddi)

and then on top of that, because production committees are so thirsty for anime, you end up getting some unique or just bizarre shows... odd taxi being the one everyone is talking about this season, but there's also the SHAFT-as-gently caress pretty boy detective club, there's zombieland saga revenge...

so that plays out in the anime fan's favor, even if it's bad for the industry

Old Swerdlow posted:

I have fun watching JoJo but I really wish less than 90% of the dialogue wasn’t just a character describing what is happening or about to happen. Araki has fun creative ideas but most of his characters come off so one-note and it is unfortunate that for a visual medium all the writing is dedicated towards description.
that's just a feature of shonen anime. you're always going to have hot blooded heroes, people on the sidelines reacting to the action, long explanations of fighting techniques and flashbacks... that's why i tend to avoid those shows

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Usually yeah, but without it how would you possibly follow a JoJo fight without being told that what you're seeing is Foreigner is using his stand, Dude Looks Like A Lady, which has the power to turn mustard blue, to bend the wavelength of light around latent mustard particles in the air, using the friction to ignite Manfred Mann's dick to precisely 872 degrees Celsius, the boiling point of human skin, and the only way to counter his invincible stand You Make My Dreams Come True which turns dicks into missiles made of K'Nex sets?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

As he explains in the video, half of all anime tv shows that have ever been produced have come out since 2010. the scaling up of anime series in the last decade has been exponential, Kadokawa has recently said they're going to be producing 40 anime series per year, which is more than an entire season used to be, and that's a single company's output.

Anime is out of control.

Aren't a bunch of shows 5 or 15 minute episodes? Back when I was watching stuff I felt annoyed when manga adaptation that I was excited for ending up having a 5 minute runtime which made it impossible for any part of it to take its time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grondoth posted:

Aren't a bunch of shows 5 or 15 minute episodes? Back when I was watching stuff I felt annoyed when manga adaptation that I was excited for ending up having a 5 minute runtime which made it impossible for any part of it to take its time.
there are short shows but not a ton of them per season. and it'll usually depend on the source material. for example let's make a mug too is a short anime because it's one half anime and one half live-action tourism. everything else i listed is full length

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jojo part 3 is funny about that in the beginning since the plot is assassins are chasing them around the world but at least half of them have to announce who they are and what their powers are to the team right away.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQuaAHB2W9Q

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gently caress yes. I need more Zach screaming in my life.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

CelticPredator posted:

Maggie may poo poo

:emptyquote:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hel posted:

I remember there was a youtube channel that some Something Awful let's play folk were a part of ten years ago, where they played and gave short reviews to each of the new indie games released on Steam.

It lasted maybe three or four months before the rate of new released became too overwhelming to even pretend to look at them all.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Captain Invictus posted:

Anime is out of control.

I think this is a product of "market research is useless, let's just throw everything at the wall for one season and see which one get's meme'd enough to get an audience". Nobody seems to know whether a shitpost concept or a serious attempt at a show is going to be a breakout hit, so they just make everything.

That combined with the diminishing returns of in-app-purchases viewership means hit and run is better. With rare exceptions once that viewer peak tapers off, you're done; might as well just start another series for that initial audience hit.

Besides, a longer-running series means you have creators who can start to actually have some power in the negotiations. This is the equivalent of keeping a steady stream of one-hit-wonders so they don't get famous enough to call their own shots.

If they have the people willing to do it, it makes sense from a business perspective. It kinda sucks for quality output, but then again you just have to pick and choose what you watch I guess.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Schwarzwald posted:

I remember there was a youtube channel that some Something Awful let's play folk were a part of ten years ago, where they played and gave short reviews to each of the new indie games released on Steam.

It lasted maybe three or four months before the rate of new released became too overwhelming to even pretend to look at them all.

Yeah I believe that was Shotgaming, but when he started it Steam released a couple of games every week so it was easy for him to keep up, then Greenlight started and Steam started opening the floodgates to all the crap out there he had to stop doing that show.

I miss the days when mostly quality titles was released on Steam, I would check the front page of the store every once in a while to see what was new.

The days when Bad Rats was considered a bad game, nowadays it looks like gold compared to all the other poo poo out there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shotgaming ... does not hold up. Axemaniac was bad.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what did he do i forget

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Kamrat posted:

Yeah I believe that was Shotgaming, but when he started it Steam released a couple of games every week so it was easy for him to keep up, then Greenlight started and Steam started opening the floodgates to all the crap out there he had to stop doing that show.

I miss the days when mostly quality titles was released on Steam, I would check the front page of the store every once in a while to see what was new.

The days when Bad Rats was considered a bad game, nowadays it looks like gold compared to all the other poo poo out there.

Personally I prefer that we have access to the countless good and interesting games that would otherwise not have enough clout to wind up on a closed storefront, it's not a physical store so it's not like its a zero-sum game where every bad game on Steam is taking away valuable space from a good one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't get why anime seasons breaks people's brains. It's a release guide like everything else we consume. E3 rolling around and showing all the new games coming out in fall or q3 or whatever, movies releasing in October etc.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Sorting Algorithms posted:

Personally I prefer that we have access to the countless good and interesting games that would otherwise not have enough clout to wind up on a closed storefront, it's not a physical store so it's not like its a zero-sum game where every bad game on Steam is taking away valuable space from a good one.

It actually makes me notice less games on steam so I think it's actually bad for indie-games in general, it used to be a mark of quality to be released on steam and now it means nothing, I agree that steam should have had a better process for letting games on steam but the way it is now I don't even care about the store-front any more, I never check it any more. I want a curated store, not a store full of poop that I have to dig trough to find the gold.

But hey, Valve is making big bucks on this so I'm sure they don't care.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Impermanent posted:

what did he do i forget

excited to shamelessly quote myself from a few pages back and subject you all to this once again

fatherboxx posted:

always bet on duke

also drawings of woman-shaped toilet (or a woman restructured as a toilet? I forgot)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Impermanent posted:

what did he do i forget
I saw a real "here's me ensuring I'm burning bridges as I run out of the room screaming with double middle fingers in the air" sort of post he made at some point that someone acreenshotted recently, real gross bigoted poo poo

disappointing

Edit: yeah that one

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RareAcumen posted:

I don't get why anime seasons breaks people's brains. It's a release guide like everything else we consume. E3 rolling around and showing all the new games coming out in fall or q3 or whatever, movies releasing in October etc.

Yeah it feels goofy and performative.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sorting Algorithms posted:

Yeah, with Steam's near monopoly on mainstream PC games, locking games out of the platform is pretty damaging and being permissive there does outweigh the problems of it being hard to find the stuff you are actually interested in. Still wish Steam stopped recommending me games I already own or have ignored over stuff I'm actually interested in though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Heck, even American tv works that way! Fall lineups and whatnot. It's nothing out of the ordinary at all.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jordan7hm posted:

Shotgaming ... does not hold up. Axemaniac was bad.

:lol: I completely forgot that was Axemaniac. Hoof.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
New Yhara!
Yhara Zayd-"The Day Rue "Became" Black"
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie9NOhSG6rI
I've been waiting for someone to make a video about that weird racist reaction to a dark skinned, black book character being portrayed by a black, biracial actress.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Srice posted:

Heck, even American tv works that way! Fall lineups and whatnot. It's nothing out of the ordinary at all.
American tv lineup generally has significantly fewer new shows expected to appeal to the same demo, instead relying on stuff that is expected to be episodic and last for a decade or more. A better comparison point would be netflix and its constant production of individual original series of varying quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

American tv lineup generally has significantly fewer new shows expected to appeal to the same demo, instead relying on stuff that is expected to be episodic and last for a decade or more. A better comparison point would be netflix and its constant production of individual original series of varying quality.

That was more about the very concept of anime seasons, notsomuch the quantity.