Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I love that we’re insisting that ogre is just a race of human and not an entirely separate species that lives in swamps alone and doesn’t at all work as an analogue for a human society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fiona being an ogre is a basic-rear end subversion of fairy tale tropes, that's literally all the thought that went into it. Examining why that appealed to the writers is fine, but I am begging you to just learn to enjoy things on a surface level, for the love of god.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ogres represent the true emancipation of the working class from the tyranny of wage labour that civilized society demands, shrek is the ideal, the anarcho primitivist existing harmoniously with nature, free from any god or master, producing his own candles from his earwax, but he must learn to collectivise with the other magical creatures to resist the encroachment of the imperialists and their table manners.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jakabite posted:

I love that we’re insisting that ogre is just a race of human and not an entirely separate species that lives in swamps alone and doesn’t at all work as an analogue for a human society.

*looks nervously at JK Rowling's goblins*

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

She’s not though is she, she’s an entirely different fantasy species. Reading it as ‘ogres = black people’ and ‘humans = white people’ is some A-Level essay poo poo. Like it’s not like it’s even two species with similar societies - Shrek lives alone in a swamp and bathes in mud and is a big scary ogre.

As I said, I don't think the movie was made by KKK members trying to sneak the 14 words into children's brains. But the writers considered a relationship between Shrek and Fiona and simply couldn't conceive that a big ugly green ogre and a beautiful (white) human woman could plausibly be together, so their solution was that Fiona had to secretly be an ugly ogre too. It's indicative of a mindset of unthinking racism.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1395028031266299912

At the risk of being insensitive, does anyone else find it a bit gross that Labour have apparently pushed Jo Cox's sister to run for her seat? Someone who describes herself as "not political" and has never been a member of the party?

Maybe it's just me but I don't find it a touching tribute at all, it seems like a cynical play to get sympathy votes and neutralise opposition attacks. Part of me wonders if her sister has any real interest in being an MP or if she's been pushed into it/tempted by the big salary and expense account.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Marxism–Shrekism

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1395045719187283971

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Comrade Fakename posted:

As I said, I don't think the movie was made by KKK members trying to sneak the 14 words into children's brains. But the writers considered a relationship between Shrek and Fiona and simply couldn't conceive that a big ugly green ogre and a beautiful (white) human woman could plausibly be together, so their solution was that Fiona had to secretly be an ugly ogre too. It's indicative of a mindset of unthinking racism.

It's an inversion of the classic Beauty and the Beast ending and I doubt any more thought went into it than that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Shippers unbound?

More like Shippers BOUND (by an NDA).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I think shrek is a movie thats at times pretty sincere but its also kinda low key spiteful and edgy sometimes.

If I was Scottish I imagine Mike Myer's Fat Bastard retread accent would be a large barrier to enjoyment.

I don't think the internet's 'ironic enjoyment' of shrek is quite the same as with other stuff. Like everone sincerely likes Waluigi now, the irony was a front all along but Shrek love still feels jokey and distant. Iirc it really took off with Tim and Eric, but the joke there was that they started promoting the third movie as if it as a very serious and culturally important movie as a reoccurring bit. Its also just fun to say 'shrek' a lot I think.

Smash mouth are absolutely in the sincere love column for me though all is forgiven for not eating the eggs

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's an inversion of the classic Beauty and the Beast ending and I doubt any more thought went into it than that.

I agree that they probably didn't think much about it. My argument is that they probably should have.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I will never stop arguing about shrek.
I guess arguing about shrek is better than actually watching shrek

by which I mean, BETTER OUT THAN IN I ALWAYS SAY

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

the unfortunate moment when you realise the political failure you're mocking was once head lawyer for the uk

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1395028031266299912

At the risk of being insensitive, does anyone else find it a bit gross that Labour have apparently pushed Jo Cox's sister to run for her seat? Someone who describes herself as "not political" and has never been a member of the party?

Maybe it's just me but I don't find it a touching tribute at all, it seems like a cynical play to get sympathy votes and neutralise opposition attacks. Part of me wonders if her sister has any real interest in being an MP or if she's been pushed into it/tempted by the big salary and expense account.

it's probably this, but it's also funny that the labour right hate the labour party so much they're now against electing their own members

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I don’t think your analogy stands up because an ogre loving a human probably would be extremely dangerous, in a way that different races of people loving isn’t. Only another ogre can handle that big ol’ swamp log of a dong

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

If I was Scottish I imagine Mike Myer's Fat Bastard retread accent would be a large barrier to enjoyment.

I'm Scottish and I never gave it a thought. It's better than average for Hollywood fake Scottish accents.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lootbox politics

"I got means-tested benefits!!!"

Vote for us 9 more times for a guaranteed legendary policy!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Thing is though that they agree that they love each other before she becomes a permanent ogre

In fact, when the sparkles happen everyone expects her to become a permanent human, having found true love

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shrek is Scottish and also wants to keep the humans out of his swamp, clearly ogres are a metaphor for the SNP.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

jabby posted:

Well, not really, because the big reveal that her "true form" is an ogre comes after they fall in love and kiss. So they fall in love both fully expecting to be a human/ogre couple.

It's been a while since I watched Shrek, but I thought Fiona knew she was really an ogre?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

She was a princess, he lived in a shack beyond polite society
could i make it any more obvious

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I swear to god if we don’t get a crispix Salmond Shrek crossover I’ll be deeply disappointed

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WhatEvil posted:

It's been a while since I watched Shrek, but I thought Fiona knew she was really an ogre?

Aren't her parents humans though?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She knew because she changed into an ogre at night, it's like you've never even seen Shrek in tiny gif form

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

She was cursed to turn into an ogre wasn't she? I know a curse was involved.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

sebzilla posted:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

When the trio nears Duloc, Fiona takes shelter in a windmill for the evening. Donkey later enters alone and discovers that Fiona has transformed into an ogress. She explains she has been cursed since childhood, forced to transform every night after sunset and changing back at sunrise. She tells Donkey that only "true love's kiss" will break the spell and change her to "love's true form"..... The sun sets as Fiona transforms into an ogress in front of everyone.... Shrek and Fiona profess their love and share a kiss. Fiona assumes "love's true form" as the curse predicted, permanently remaining an ogress. No longer believing she is beautiful, Fiona is consoled by Shrek, who tells her she has always been. They marry in the swamp with fairy-tale creatures in attendance, then leave for their honeymoon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Pal_action/status/1395020837846233091

Fireman Sam is a comrade.

(Seriously the FBU are loving solid and it's weird and disappointing that MPs backed by them are invariably melts)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can we all agree that if nothing else the fairytale characters in Shrek are awful?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

stev posted:

Can we all agree that if nothing else the fairytale characters in Shrek are awful?

No.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I thought ogre Fiona was pretty cute tbh

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

sebzilla posted:

She's half-human, half-frog

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/israel-gaza-uk-james-cleverly-b1850137.html

I am fuckin' steaming. Absolute bloody disgrace particularly when everyone in the world can see quite plainly that Israel kicked this latest lot off with its invasion of Al Aqsa on Leilat Qadr.

gently caress this fuckin' government.

Unfortunately most everyone in the country only sees what the media says and that's what they are saying.

Nobody knows what Al aqsa or leilat qadr even are, sounds antisemitic

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

IMO shrek is a movie in which the inherent oppressiveness of class based society and bourgeois social mores are scathingly deconstructed and laid bare and in which Fiona (who is the most important character) must make a decision as to whether to be a class traitor and become part of the aristocracy or whether she should embrace true proletarian freedom by living in the swamp with the wretched of the earth. Shrek is in fact an icon of the working class and we should all strive to uphold ogre thought.

um shrek is a landlord whose entire modus operandi is getting the deed to move an unwanted community out of his swamp and is therefore The Worst hth

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

bump_fn posted:

lmao beyond parody

is this actually real, it can't be real, its so loving stupid I refuse to believe its real.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Doccykins posted:

um shrek is a landlord whose entire modus operandi is getting the deed to move an unwanted community out of his swamp and is therefore The Worst hth

he isn't seeking to extract wealth from a tenant class or exploit the land resources for profit, his aim is simply to remove the threat of incursion from an interloper and is therefore more closely analogous to a first nation people

Let's do toy story next

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Look at the ears

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Shrek is Scottish and also wants to keep the humans out of his swamp, clearly ogres are a metaphor for the SNP.

This implies the English are human which is very problematic

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tenebrais posted:

I knew you brits had issues with the french but come on

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

No, it's strongly implied (basically confirmed by the second film) that she started off human. And her line after becoming an ogre is something like "I don't understand, I'm supposed to be beautiful". Also she wouldn't have been planning to marry Farquaad if she thought kissing he would make her an ogre forever.

The curse's exact wording is she will assume "love's true form", which everyone assumed would be her original human form but turned out not to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

he isn't seeking to extract wealth from a tenant class or exploit the land resources for profit, his aim is simply to remove the threat of incursion from an interloper and is therefore more closely analogous to a first nation people

Let's do toy story next

Seems like we could fork this discussion neatly into the I/P thread for a meta-derail.

the last few pages have been strange. "Supermechagodzilla but for Shrek and with Marxist tendencies" is a gimmick I wasn't prepared for