Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Levitate posted:

You can change the order and location of the data in that layout though, just to be clear

This. But Garmin gives you even more customization if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

I had one when I left my first Wahoo on the bumper of the truck and lost it and wanted to see if I could make due with a cheaper computer.

I sold it after a few months and got another Wahoo.

The NeosTrack is bad.

Wow, look at this big GPS propaganda.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Unsinkabear posted:

Does the Wahoo have the "return to start" button that someone mentioned the Garmin having upthread?

The Wahoo phone app can get your computer to direct you wherever you want including return to start, but I don't think there's a way to do it without pulling out your phone, which may or may not be a huge inconvenience depending on what you're doing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I have on a very few occasions edited the fields on my garmin mid-race, and in that context it was nice to not have to pull out my phone since it was not with me.

This is absolutely not a reason to buy one vs. the other though, because you could just not be an idiot in the first place unlike me.

One differentiator (I think? maybe this has been added since I switched from my Bolt to a Garmin 530) is that Garmin handles different cycling profiles/types better. Like, you can have a different set of screens/data layouts for road, or touring, or mtbing, or track, or cx.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

bicievino posted:

One differentiator (I think? maybe this has been added since I switched from my Bolt to a Garmin 530) is that Garmin handles different cycling profiles/types better. Like, you can have a different set of screens/data layouts for road, or touring, or mtbing, or track, or cx.

Yeah, on my 530 I have profiles for Road, Road w Power, Race and Indoor, each with a different set of screens.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Do the Elemnts really not have ANT+ Light Network support? It’s really nice being able to swipe down on my 830, switch to the lights menu and override the default light patterns with auto/solid/flash/off for each light.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Are the modern varias different to the original? The one I tried didn't have those features. Just told you there was a car coming.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Are the modern varias different to the original? The one I tried didn't have those features. Just told you there was a car coming.

The horizontal chunky things? Those could detect more than one car from what I remember. Could be the head unit you were using.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I feel like a camera that captures the plate of the person who murdered you is probably more use than radar that lets you know you're about to be murdered but I dunno. I guess it would be useful to have more warning about cars on fast A roads.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
A camera coupled to an accelerometer, so it could automatically upload the video as an Instagram Story while you lie bleeding out in the road.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If my Garmin detects a hard fall it automatically posts a GoFundMe.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
:siren:

NPS website posted:

Plows have reached Tioga Pass. Plowing of side roads, turnouts, parking lots, etc., are in progress. Additional work, including road repairs, removal of trees that may fall onto the road, utility system repair, etc., must all occur prior to road opening.

The full length of the road will be open to bicycles May 21–23, conditions permitting. Important things to know:

A reservation is required to drive into the park. A reservation is not required to enter the park by bicycle (but the $20/person entrance fee still applies).

Be prepared for a long ride with many hills and major elevation gain/loss.

No services are available. Bring adequate water and food for a strenuous ride.

In case of emergency, expect a delayed response from rangers and/or ambulance. Cell service is not available on Tioga Road.
:siren:

I have a hookup to get me into the park on Saturday May 22. If anyone is interested in riding Tioga without any cars but doesn't have a YNP day use car reservation (and doesn't want to risk trying to get a day-of reservation), let me know. We might be able to work out a carpool arrangement. I'll be heading out from Mariposa early Sat morning.

e: here's the route

spf3million fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 19, 2021

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I had a long conversation with my brother who is a lil more hardcore about bikes than I am (he does triathlons).

He gave me 4 tips:
1) Git your bike fitted to you
2) Get more bike underwear or a kit. Use it once and throw it on the wash.
3) Get a bike trainer because sometimes you want to bike and the outside sucks balls.
4) Get a biking computer once you get to a spot where its useful for you.

I think my brother is wise.

Apr 7, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

I had a long conversation with my brother who is a lil more hardcore about bikes than I am (he does triathlons).

He gave me 4 tips:
1) Git your bike fitted to you
2) Get more bike underwear or a kit. Use it once and throw it on the wash.
3) Get a bike trainer because sometimes you want to bike and the outside sucks balls.
4) Get a biking computer once you get to a spot where its useful for you.

I think my brother is wise.

I'm pretty sure using your underwear once and then washing it is SOP whether you bike or not?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm pretty sure using your underwear once and then washing it is SOP whether you bike or not?

You'd think so, but I know a lot of people who wear sports kit multiple times without anything beneath it

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It was specific to biking kit yes, also he learned his lesson the hard way lmao

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

...underwear? :confused:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

cebrail posted:

A bib is technically underwear. You don't wear anything underneath it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

cebrail posted:

Ah! A fellow from Portland Oregon I see...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You'd think so, but I know a lot of people who wear sports kit multiple times without anything beneath it

I re-use jersey's and even baselayer because I don't sweat a lot and it's usually cool in the mornings
not with bibs though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

EvilJoven posted:

There's actually multiple layouts on Wahoo.

But drat that return to start Garmin has sounds really awesome. Wahoo doesn't even let you navigate to a POI natively, you gotta upload your route from another source like RWGPS or Strava.

This is not true btw, you can navigate to anywhere via your phone in a few clicks and it'll appear on the head unit

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 19, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

More like Wahoo Smellement

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Skarsnik posted:

This is not true btw, you can navigate to anywhere via your phone in a few clicks and it'll appear on the head unit

yeah you gotta do it with your phone but on the ride screen in the app you can go to "Select Route" or whatever and from there you can pick "Take me to..." and select anywhere on the map and it will create a route and sync it with your device.
You can also do reverse route from that screen or take me back to beginning

Honestly I barely ever use routing stuff unless it's like an event ride or race and I want to make sure I don't miss a turn, though I thought about it the other day when I was trying to follow a trail to see where it went and there was no internet access for me to check google maps or something

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Levitate posted:

yeah you gotta do it with your phone but on the ride screen in the app you can go to "Select Route" or whatever and from there you can pick "Take me to..." and select anywhere on the map and it will create a route and sync it with your device.
You can also do reverse route from that screen or take me back to beginning

Honestly I barely ever use routing stuff unless it's like an event ride or race and I want to make sure I don't miss a turn, though I thought about it the other day when I was trying to follow a trail to see where it went and there was no internet access for me to check google maps or something

Onboard trailforks maps is nice for this when out of cell coverage, for sure.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
530 maps also have road names which I do find helpful when I need to use the map.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

vikingstrike posted:

530 maps also have road names which I do find helpful when I need to use the map.

Does Wahoo not? That seems like a key thing you would need to read a map

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Unsinkabear posted:

Not on the Bolt (unless this has changed since I switched). I believe the Roam does.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Unsinkabear posted:

The Bolt tells you street names like "turn right on 123rd street" when it gives you directions, if you look at the map on the unit it just has a bunch of lines. Of course the app has a full map, but if you're getting your phone out and could be looking at google maps or whatever if you wanted to.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

I do hate that I load a RideWithGPS route on my Garmin and it calculates it's own turn-by-turn. No, I don't want to go down these random side streets just to end up on the same road!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gohuskies posted:

The Bolt tells you street names like "turn right on 123rd street" when it gives you directions, if you look at the map on the unit it just has a bunch of lines. Of course the app has a full map, but if you're getting your phone out and could be looking at google maps or whatever if you wanted to.

This is an insane UI decision

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is an insane UI decision
It's not like it's a featureless map of lines. There's a route line and your current position also on the map. The cue sheet states whatever it's programmed to state. It might be "Left on 123rd Ave" or it might say "Jesus dude, just go loving left already" if you've been hand editing cues for an hour now and you're starting to get sick of it. Ridewithgps tends to default to the first option.

I wasn't aware of this, but it sounds like Garmin routes its own turn-by-turn directions even when you load in an already made breadcrumb route. I'm just going off of what someone (edit: Tigren) said earlier. That's probably really handy for turn-by-turn in lieu of cues inside a route. But if it adds in other turns instead of whatever the route has in it then that's completely insane.

Another edit: Here's a couple of route screens I dug up from previous rides. Might not be great examples because I only took these photos because what was loaded on my element didn't actually match recent (or not recent at all) changes in infrastructure.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 19, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

TBH the Bolt's screen isn't big enough to have road names and stuff on it and have it make sense. The route is clear when you're using one and you can get it to do turn by turn directions, but if I really wanted to do lots of stuff with routes and wanted to stay on Wahoo then I'd be looking at the ROAM. It probably doesn't do street names either, looking at pics, but would be easier to see the routes

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've never felt like I needed road names when following a route, its not like anything outside of the city even has any which is where I do most of my cycling

Even navigating within civilization im not using names for getting around . Just 'turn next left' or whatever

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I feel like a camera that captures the plate of the person who murdered you is probably more use than radar that lets you know you're about to be murdered but I dunno. I guess it would be useful to have more warning about cars on fast A roads.

I mean, don't ride a bicycle on fast A-roads, and instead plan rides on scenic and interesting C- and D- roads?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018
The XOSS G GPS bike computer is a kickass deal if you want something simple that records a route, gives you a speed and distance, and can be linked to Strava.

I got one for ~$30 recently and it's super nice not having to deal with wires for a bike computer. I wanted something to track mileage and show me the time and it is perfect for that. To download tracks you have to Bluetooth connect it to some crappy app, but I haven't tried doing that yet. Obviously it isn't for navigation, but that's fine.

The only downside is that it beeps when it thinks you are pausing and restarting, so riding really slow uphill causes it to beep a lot. Otherwise it's been a great choice for my amateur rear end.

I still have a cheap wired bike computer on my commuter, but that's just to log miles during commutes and figure out how fast I'm going when I'm feeling zippy.

Eventually I'd like to get a nice GPS (either a 530 or the more general purpose eTrex e32x) for long trips, but there aren't any long trips in my near future so I can't really justify dropping mad skrilla on that right now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

They make AXS only Allez frames?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

They make AXS only Allez frames?

Early Allez frames were mech-only.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I have no idea but I LOVE that color way.

And also drilled frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Are any of the bike computers now able to do reasonable turn by turn directions that pay attention to bike infrastructure. Our bike lane system is pretty good, and there's no reason to not be on it most of the time in the city. If I want to go somewhere new, though, I don't always know where they are. Google maps generally routes along bike routes when you use bike directions, so last time I looked at bike computers I just decided it was better to use my phone mounted on the handlbars. It lets me use Maps and Strava, which are my two bike things. That's a pain for battery life, though. Honestly, most of the time, I just pull up the city bike lane map and route plan myself ahead of time.

Has anyone come up with a non-garbage thing for this that isn't $800. I wish I could figure out a way to use my old/backup phone as a bike computer, but connectivity without paying for another phone plan or running my main phone in hotspot mode seems like a problem.