Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still looking for a mildly affordable low profile single slot GPU with a sub-40W constraint and a "heatsink/fan does not extend over the height of the bracket" size constraint, with some kind of encoder/decoder - h264, 1080p60, single session is enough. AMD AMF or NVENC both work.

I bought a GT 730 2GB GDDR5 on eBay and was sent a flashed counterfeit that lied about its firmware/model, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You seem angry about crypto.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Black Sunshine posted:

This is totally normal!

I said as much in the feedback thread (and you're welcome to air your opinion in there) but most of us in this thread were there for the 2017/2018 boom, and we did not tear each other apart. What we did not have is a poster who was using the moment to start wealth-building and give us updates on it and talk it up as cool and good.

But since that guy was perma'd, there likely will be less delicate dancing to deal with a single guy who has more in common with a lightweight 4chan poster than most people here.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

axeil posted:

:laffo:

Can't say he'll be missed, but at least we don't have to worry about him ever coming back to this thread again.

Neat

I just got a 4k@160 monitor and am wondering about the best way to drive 90+ fps on FFXIV

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 19, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Biowarfare posted:

I'm still looking for a mildly affordable low profile single slot GPU with a sub-40W constraint and a "heatsink/fan does not extend over the height of the bracket" size constraint, with some kind of encoder/decoder - h264, 1080p60, single session is enough. AMD AMF or NVENC both work.

I bought a GT 730 2GB GDDR5 on eBay and was sent a flashed counterfeit that lied about its firmware/model, lol.

If you are 100% positive that this card will work for you I own one sitting around doing nothing, and I own a replacement for it (single slot 1030) so it truly is extra and I'm happy to sell it. (edit: VCGGT7301D5LXPB is the model #)

Your other options get pretty slim, I think there are some wacky non-US cards that were single slot but not LP. 1050ti and try to mod the fan? what about a pci-e riser or a usb-c card with an external gpu?

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 19, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
there is one 1660 super single slot from a single company that I have an ebay saved search set up for in case it shows up and that alert email has literally never once fired lol

edit: was 1660 ti https://www.anandtech.com/show/14494/colorful-has-a-singleslot-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-graphics-card

you can do a quadro but they're big bux unfortunately

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 19, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I have cleared so many older but still usable GPUs out of my house this year my wife is so happy

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I dunno if this the right place but I've been cleaning my desktop trying to keep my old gpu alive and im wondering if there's any lightweight alternative to constantly buying cans of compressed air everytime i wanna blow clean smth

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Biowarfare posted:

Quadro P400/P600/P620/T400/T600

Should be around hundred on eBay depending on the moon and tide and stuff.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

spunkshui posted:

With a place like Corsair the cooling, fans, case, ram, mobo everything will be much much higher quality and able to be swapped out or replaced.

I mean look at what dell has been up to. Look at those loving ram sticks and that mobo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DMg6hUudHE

I love Steve, but I've worked on so many Dells and HPs that nothing about the physical design/build of that machine phases me, and some of his complaints don't make much sense.

Like complaining about the tiny chipset heatsink or the basic RAM. Does he think those components need more cooling? Are we so poisoned by Gamer poo poo that we think 1.2V DDR4 needs a heatspreader? Putting a VRM heatsink on that machine would be a waste of the buyer's money even if it cost 50 cents.

They screw the heatsink into the case because they know FedEx guys will literally dropkick any box that looks like it might have a computer in it (I've actually seen them do this).

Really the only terrible thing there is the non-standard power supply, which sucks and hopefully they switch to the actual ATX12VO spec once it's available.

Well, the really terrible thing they're doing is the "free" warranty that isn't free and recurring billing shenanigans, but that's not related to the build of the computer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
fwiw, my experience with dell cs has been excellent

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

FuturePastNow posted:

They screw the heatsink into the case because they know FedEx guys will literally dropkick any box that looks like it might have a computer in it (I've actually seen them do this).

I mailed a box full of pc components (cpu, gpu, drives, etc) to a friend for his budget build last week. Friend sent me a video from his camera of the driver walking up to the door and just dropping the box from chest height onto the ground and then walking off. No doorbell ring or an attempt for a signature (as I requested). Thankfully it was well packed and everything was fine but what an rear end in a top hat driver lol.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
ShopBLT is taking pre-orders for LHR 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080s. EVGA models. Last I checked the queue was less than 100 long! Just search for '3080 LHR' and you'll get the list.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I dunno if this the right place but I've been cleaning my desktop trying to keep my old gpu alive and im wondering if there's any lightweight alternative to constantly buying cans of compressed air everytime i wanna blow clean smth

I've used this guy: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=air+blower&qid=1621447844&sr=8-5 for about 4 years and it's great, loud as poo poo though

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Honest Thief posted:

Take it apart and use a paintbrush?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

I love Steve, but I've worked on so many Dells and HPs that nothing about the physical design/build of that machine phases me, and some of his complaints don't make much sense.

Like complaining about the tiny chipset heatsink or the basic RAM. Does he think those components need more cooling? Are we so poisoned by Gamer poo poo that we think 1.2V DDR4 needs a heatspreader? Putting a VRM heatsink on that machine would be a waste of the buyer's money even if it cost 50 cents.
it's not about cooling on those components, the video was focused mostly on the teardown and support issues. there's already a mention in the video that the ram is marked as 3200 but won't run at that speed, and it's single-rank on a single-dimm so there goes double-bank perf advantages

it's a lot of cost-cutting focused on saving a penny on the oem's side to pass on half-assed goods to the consumer resulting in e-waste. this isn't a machine meant to go into an office, it's a pre-built targeted at someone wanting to play games. the benchmarks and thermal performance will an interesting followup. prior dell talk is that they only consider a thermal issue if there's repeated thermal shutdown events, running at 90c+ is working fine so the coolers on there are going to be a mess and downclocking more components

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Any generic compressor would work as well, loud as poo poo is correct.

Edit: For canned air replacement chat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's not about cooling on those components, the video was focused mostly on the teardown and support issues. there's already a mention in the video that the ram is marked as 3200 but won't run at that speed, and it's single-rank on a single-dimm so there goes double-bank perf advantages

it's a lot of cost-cutting focused on saving a penny on the oem's side to pass on half-assed goods to the consumer resulting in e-waste. this isn't a machine meant to go into an office, it's a pre-built targeted at someone wanting to play games. the benchmarks and thermal performance will an interesting followup. prior dell talk is that they only consider a thermal issue if there's repeated thermal shutdown events, running at 90c+ is working fine so the coolers on there are going to be a mess and downclocking more components

personal example: my alienware has an i5 6400. afaik the socket should be good for a 7700k, but the bios simply won't let you.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Kunabomber posted:

ShopBLT is taking pre-orders for LHR 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080s. EVGA models. Last I checked the queue was less than 100 long! Just search for '3080 LHR' and you'll get the list.

Thanks for the heads up on this, got in line for a 3070 with less than 50 people in the queue.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Rinkles posted:

personal example: my alienware has an i5 6400. afaik the socket should be good for a 7700k, but the bios simply won't let you.

i'm not saying it should be impossible because that's not right either at all but they are selling you a whole unit, not a bunch of parts. an entire unit that they've engineered and guarantee will run at the specced level.

its not tesla putting features behind a soft paywall, upgrading the cpu on the same board is something we take lightly but it's like bleeding edge enthusiast stuff. i would never, ever expect to upgrade the CPU in a pre-built desktop, gaming or not.

if i buy a 2017 car from ford i dont complain that it gets mad if i try and change out any of the drivetrain for one from a 2019.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 19, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
High velocity compressed air will cause static because of impurities and will kill things on occasion. Don't use an air compressor to dust sensitive low voltage electronics like PC components. One of those portable blowers is probably fine, but also probably doesn't work as well as a duster. Also, even with dusters you need to be holding on to fan blades or you will kill things. You can't just rev a fan to 30,000 RPM and expect the bearings and everything else to be fine, that won't always be the case. The best way to deal with dust is to buy better cases with easily accessed front dust filtration so you can keep them clean in the first place.

Also, if you're bothering pulling out a GPU to maintain it, you may as well pull the stickers off the fans and put some lightweight grease down the axle hole, working the fan around to help it get into place. In practice cheap fans usually die because they work all the grease out of position and start wearing badly, if you don't let this happen it's amazing how long they can run.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this, got in line for a 3070 with less than 50 people in the queue.

Also managed to sign up for a 3070, curious to see how it goes. Thanks for the tip! Looks like the website is having issues now...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
relatively cheap too, thanks

Nothus posted:

Take it apart and use a paintbrush?

i could but i always end up with spare pieces when i disassemble smth and put it back up, i dont think i ever bricked smth before though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bus hustler posted:

i'm not saying it should be impossible because that's not right either at all but they are selling you a whole unit, not a bunch of parts. an entire unit that they've engineered and guarantee will run at the specced level.

its not tesla putting features behind a soft paywall, upgrading the cpu on the same board is something we take lightly but it's like bleeding edge enthusiast stuff. i would never, ever expect to upgrade the CPU in a pre-built desktop, gaming or not.

sure, but that isn't necessarily obvious when you're buying it, and demonstrates how prebuilts can have unexpected downsides (this is more a theoretical problem anyway, cause have you seen the asking price for a 7700k?)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Kunabomber posted:

2nd post to thank you for helping out

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Joiny posted:

Any generic compressor would work as well, loud as poo poo is correct.

Edit: For canned air replacement chat.

Please note though that some compressors can eject oil particulates, which obviously you don't want microscopically slathered all over your computer's innards.

Make sure yours has a proper passthrough for air.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

This is late but:

A+: Name-brand full modular PSU with normal model number and extra cables in the box
A: The above minus the extra cables
B: Name-brand or respected OEM standard ATX PSU
C: Standard ATX PSU, probably non-modular and greybox
D: Fully 12VO compliant PSU, including mounting holes, connectors, and cable lengths
F: Custom PSU mounting or connectors

See me after class, parent teacher conference requested, "You are not qualified to become a certified forklift operator": Custom 12VO PSU with non standard connectors and custom form factor with mystery cable layout

Also a GPU with mystery Dell BIOS, oh boy... I don't think they are doing that BIOS lock trash very often but that doesn't inspire confidence

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you search GameStop for GeForce 3070 there's an in stock GPu/PSU/MB bundle for $1200

Edit: got spot 22 in line at shopblt for a 3070 X3C Ultra. Hope that pays off before December

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 19, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Nomyth posted:

2nd post to thank you for helping out

I'm just glad to contribute instead of shitposting all the time!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I posted a little while ago in the PC building thread about buying an Alienware to get a 3080. I didn't really want to buy a whole PC only to rip one part out so I figured I'd just go all in and get the specs I wanted

- Motherboard is OEM but I think standard micro-ATX and not nearly as hosed up as the one in that video
- Case cooling isn't great. The interior is pretty packed and only has two fans; one intake on the front and one exhaust on the top with the CPU radiator
- The OEM GPU is fine. You can see the card here. I believe it's just a reference card manufactured by MSI. With mild overclocking maxes at like 74-79ish. A bit hot but within safe ranges. Have not tried undervolting yet. Apparently pretty easy to deshroud and strap better fans to it if you really want
- The CPU on the other hand was an 11700KF with their 120mm liquid AIO and was hitting 90-100c out of the box. Upgrading case fans, adding a second fan to the radiator, and replacing thermal paste got it to 80-85 under load. AIO pump is pretty noisy though
- Replacing OEM fans causes a diagnostic to run and complain at startup
- RAM was HyperX Fury rather than OEM, probably because I ordered 3400mhz
- PSU folds up and will snap the power connector off your hard drive if it's still plugged in :). Also sometimes chirps and spins up a very whiny fan

Ultimately if you're just looking to buy a box that works without having to touch anything the main concern is the CPU temp but YMMV there. I was able to get to a decent state but it was still fairly loud and noisy so it's gonna depend on what your tolerances are there

I was looking at trying to improve a few other things by replacing the noisy AIO and PSU and removing the HDD bracket to add another fan. Eventually I decided rather than spending any more money on it to just salvage the usable parts for a new build

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Image saying its ok to save yourself 50 cents to have poo poo vrm cooling on your janky mobo you know the customer must come to you to replace when it dies.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Kunabomber posted:

I think this is dead now 0 results show.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, people are discussing that this was a legit pre-order and they shut it down once they reached the # of orders they have coming in :tinfoil:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

mysteryberto posted:

I think this is dead now 0 results show.

They made a statement that they were temporarily pulling the LHR listings and they can't say when they'll be back up but anyone who has already preordered will be kept in the queue.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kunabomber posted:

Yeah, people are discussing that this was a legit pre-order and they shut it down once they reached the # of orders they have coming in :tinfoil:

Ugh, don't post stuff like this. It gives me a little bit of hope.

I'm going to be painting clown makeup on my face at the end of this aren't I.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, don't worry. We're all in full red noses and squeaky shoes at this point. Anyone who's been looking to land a GPU for longer than a couple weeks has done some stupid dorky poo poo to try to get one and failed.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

axeil posted:

:laffo:

Can't say he'll be missed, but at least we don't have to worry about him ever coming back to this thread again.

This guy offered in PMs to buy me a 3070 at MSRP plus shipping but then marked it up to scalper prices anyway. He was also incredibly rude to me in DMs, using edgelord language that''d get you banned here. I'm not sorry to see him go.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
he was certainly a...puzzling culture fit, really. I'll tell the truth - when I had to go trawling to find my current card on some of the worst discords in the world - like, they're kind of all like that? our hobby is mostly horrible people unfortunately.

I'm very curious what the price variance will be between LHR and the current variant? I hope whoever was doing those average price posts includes them I am very curious.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The ShopBLT pre-orders look like they were priced at the usual AIB markup above MSRP for the reference card, i.e. the base model EVGA 3080 LHR was $20 above the original Nvidia launch MSRP of $799

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The 3080 FE was $699

The tariffs are still in place for Americans so I think even if the cards are readily available, the best case we can expect is that + 20%