Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Someone explain tainted Jacob to me because "chased endlessly by monster that one(two) hit kills you and also you get killed if it dies accidentally" just feels so awful compared to, say, tainted Maggie or tainted Keeper.

I literally get stressed out trying to play T Jacob. Not being able to even stop and think for a moment without pausing is just the worst. I know you can theoretically use Esau to damage enemies, but that's a pretty poor tradeoff to having run after run be an extended version of the Mines 2 mom chase.

Am I missing something? Or is he that terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The one "trick" is that you can toggle anima sola off to release Esau and force the charge at a specific moment. That at least takes him from literally impossible to close to impossible.

They haven't removed the glitch where if you exit the game when Esau is in his death animation and re-enter Esau will disappear for the floor and you'll still be a human. If learning the character is of no interest to you, it would not be so bad to abuse that.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Thanks. Did not know I could turn off the chains. That would be helpful.

I've barely touched the character. Is Esau invincible while he's charging? That could theoretically help in regards to having him be a weapon against stationary bosses...

I tried the glitch but having to redo it every floor and having only a small window to pull it off wasn't very appealing either. Might just be a character I slog through the post-its and then never touch again. Shame.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah as it stands I doubt I'm going to bother unlocking Death Certificate without some major reworks to multiple characters. I struggled through J+E to get Mega Mush but I don't know if I can handle another 5 or 6 equally bad characters. In a way it's kindof impressive how many different ways Repentance found to make Isaac unfun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Picking up Damocles in the Genesis room is pretty wacky. I think it generates 3 extra pedestals per round, and the extra pedestals don't disappear when you grab one, so you're essentially quadrupling your items at the cost of the room erupting into complete chaos. You can't tell from the screenshot but most of the pedestals are either vibrating wildly or spinning around each other in circles. Shame this happened after I full cleared the void and no R Key spawned.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Of the tainted characters, I think most of them are pretty neat in some way. I'd like a mod for tainted Cain to randomize the bag recipes so you can't just memorize the best ones and roll every time. The playstyle is really interesting.

Tainted Lazarus / Jacob / Lost can go away forever, though.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In a way it's kindof impressive how many different ways Repentance found to make Isaac unfun.

So it's not just me...

I love most of the gameplay additions and items but am underwhelmed by most of the tainted characters. Their gimmicks are so pronounced it's hard to play without having that be the sole focus of your run. I guess I prefer a more subtle character rather than one where every run will absolutely focus on one very specific idea/strategy. Like yes, Dark Arts is cool, but if you're that character, then that is the main way you will spend all of his runs. Meh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

iirc tainted lazarus is literally not finished

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'm fine with most of the Tainted characters being really extreme because we already have a lot of characters that do the 'play a basic game of Isaac except with X' in most of the normal characters. If I want to play a really standard game of Isaac I already have Isaac, Maggie, Cain, Judas, Eve, Samson, Azazel, ???, Lazarus, Apollyon, Bethany, as well as now T.Isaac, T.Apollyon, and kinda T.???. Most of the Tainteds being really different and striking gimmicks without all being straight-out challenge characters like Lost or Keeper is cool and even if they're not all hits I'm definitely welcome to the idea of characters who play a radically different game of Isaac at this point then 3/4ths of the normal characters even if it's not something I'd want to dump more then the occasional attempt into.

That said, it'll be even cooler once some of them get a second pass, like T.Laz and T.???, since it's pretty clear Repentance got shoved out the door like 75% done at best and the Tainteds were where a lot of the unfinished work shows.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 19, 2021

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Had an epic run with Forgotten. First item was Chocolate Milk, and I then picked up Compound Fracture, Parasite, and Infestation 2. One-shot bosses and made enemies explode in a shower of spiders and bones enough to slow the game. I beat boss rush and Hush before dying to Delirium. Good game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Mr. Locke posted:

I'm fine with most of the Tainted characters being really extreme because we already have a lot of characters that do the 'play a basic game of Isaac except with X' in most of the normal characters. If I want to play a really standard game of Isaac I already have Isaac, Maggie, Cain, Judas, Eve, Samson, Azazel, ???, Lazarus, Apollyon, Bethany, as well as now T.Isaac, T.Apollyon, and kinda T.???. Most of the Tainteds being really different and striking gimmicks without all being straight-out challenge characters like Lost or Keeper is cool and even if they're not all hits I'm definitely welcome to the idea of characters who play a radically different game of Isaac at this point then 3/4ths of the normal characters even if it's not something I'd want to dump more then the occasional attempt into.

That said, it'll be even cooler once some of them get a second pass, like T.Laz and T.???, since it's pretty clear Repentance got shoved out the door like 75% done at best and the Tainteds were where a lot of the unfinished work shows.

Yeah there's already a ton of normal characters in the game. And some of them are kind of in a weird place now. Like ??? was originally a challenge character in Flash Isaac, but since the move to Rebirth non-red heart builds were king and now he's just kind of a weird alternative. Granted with the nerfs to armored heart generation he sorta has that position again?

That being said yeah it's clear a bunch of them need a second pass and where Repentance really was missing a bunch of work (since they added like all those 17 at once.) There's some that are literally unfinished like Tainted Lazarus and Tainted Apollyon. Now Tainted Maggy and Judas have pretty big central gimmicks but you still can't neglect their tear attacks so there's alternate ways to play them. Meanwhile Tainted Forgotten revolves around one singular playstyle with very little to change it unless you find something like Birthright. Tainted Jacob as is is basically a 3rd version of The Lost with very little of the upsides, and his gimmick completely falls apart later and turns into accepting Dark Esau will get himself killed and turn you into The Lost.

I'm pretty much holding off on some of the tainteds as a result until the game gets polished up there. It's pretty clear they had a lot of neat ideas on paper they didn't really have time to fully realize.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

comingafteryouall posted:

Three Apollyon runs tonight trying to get dad's note. First one ends when I forget to take the fool with me into the mom fight. Whatever, I'll just do it again. Second one, I get a crawl space on Depths II that leads to a developer room, and traps you with a stairs to the next level, so I use my fool card to get out. I see 8 more cards bombing everything on the level and buying booster pack from the store, but none of them can teleport.

Third run, I run into a crawl space again on Depths II and stupidly think THIS ONE has to be the black market, but get trapped in another development room.

They have to have ramped this up in the last update or something. Because something very similar happened to me the other day and I just now today had it happen AGAIN doing tainted lost runs. And I'd never seen it at all before.

When you go to the dark room on tainted lost it only lets you take one of the four devil deals. Dumb!! Let me take them all there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Another question in that line - did hosts used to spawn under skulls as often as they do now? It seems like every other skull has a host under it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

No Wave posted:

Another question in that line - did hosts used to spawn under skulls as often as they do now? It seems like every other skull has a host under it.

It's always been pretty common from what I can remember.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

When you go to the dark room on tainted lost it only lets you take one of the four devil deals. Dumb!! Let me take them all there.

It's a bug. You have to open the chests one at a time then take them immediately to take all 4. I'm guessing they didn't make a separate codepath for those specific Devil Deals to account for The Lost being there.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
glowing hourglass + birthright as tainted lost meant it was a matter of time really, but for fucks sake, delirium telefragged me two different attempts, but im done with that particular grind at last

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

oh poo poo i didn't realize there were 3 achievements / unlocks tied to the daily challenge :shepface:

when do the dailies reset?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It feels like the telefragging got worse if anything from Afterbirth+.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Just had the ultimate Tainted Lost run with Triple Shot, Paschal Candle, Apple, Tough Love, Ghost Pepper, Holy Light and Tractor Beam. Of course with Perfection trinket. Mega Satan fight didn't give me delirium portal. gently caress YOU. Now I got these Haunted Chests to deal with.

Mega Satan got absolutely bulldozed too even through his boss armor. Didn't get a single attack off.

All I have left now is Delirium on 3 different guys(TLost, TLaz, and TEden) and boss rush+Hush on TLaz. Guess I'll just do Chest runs until it gives me Delirium.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 19, 2021

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I've hit that point like with every previous Isaac iteration where I've done the unlocks with the fun characters, and most of the rough unlocks that I really wanted with the less fun characters, and I'm running out of steam to spend hours grinding the other stuff. I don't see a universe where I beat dogma with Tainted Lost or Tainted Jacob, for example, I just don't possess the skill. I still think the game is significantly better and more fun for this new expansion overall though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

thank u d20

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

what in the goddamn

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Fun:
Tainted Lost with Rocket Bombs and Dr Fetus: Endless rocket launcher as your attack. And since you have spectral tears the rockets don't blow up when they hit a rock. Felt like playing Nuclear Throne.

Also, Bookworm + Perfection means most every shots are doubled. Any non boss dies instantly. Most bosses, too.

Extra fun: Pause item plus using normal bombs mean you can freeze every boss and blow them up with zero retaliation.

Not fun: that mimic chest

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

thank u d20

dear god

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there a good up-to-date cheat sheet for which characters have unlockable starting items and how to unlock them?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

ArfJason posted:

thank u d20

I thought they nerfed it??

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Greenplastic posted:

Yes,

quote:

Empty chests cannot be re-rolled.

but also no.

quote:

Can re-roll pickups into Lil' Batteries and other battery pickups.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Ariong posted:

Is there a good up-to-date cheat sheet for which characters have unlockable starting items and how to unlock them?
Sure.

Isaac now holds the D6! -- Defeat Isaac as ???
Cain holds Paperclip -- Donate 68 coins to the Greed Donation Machine
Eve now holds Razor Blade -- Donate 439 coins to the Greed Donation Machine
Lost holds Holy Mantle -- Donate 879 coins to the Greed Donation Machine
Laz Bleeds More! -- Complete Backasswards (challenge #31)
Maggy Now Holds a Pill! -- Complete Aprils Fool (challenge #32)
Samson holds Child's Heart -- Complete Ultra Hard (challenge #34)
Keeper now holds... A Penny! -- Defeat Hush as Keeper
Keeper holds Wooden Nickel -- Defeat Isaac as Keeper
Keeper holds Store Key -- Defeat Satan as Keeper

I believe that's all of them.

Edit: Added Ultra Hard. Thanks No Wave

END CHEMTRAILS NOW fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 19, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Samson holds child's heart is Ultra Hard.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

they did, but with enough luck you can still break the game in half

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Love to pick up an active item as my first item in DELETE THIS that has a timed charge but seemingly does nothing. And then pick up a use item that uses Baby Plum and Glass Cannon at the same time on a 2-room charge, only to accidentally turn it into a dozen troll bombs later when I decide to use my third active item just to see what it did.

And also have an item that makes me fart randomly. And an item that causes a d20 effect on a timer??? Maybe??? This challenge is something :psyduck:

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

had a promising lost run i was planning to take to the beast when i found the red key and accidentally went over the border on depths 2.

:shepface:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah as it stands I doubt I'm going to bother unlocking Death Certificate without some major reworks to multiple characters. I struggled through J+E to get Mega Mush but I don't know if I can handle another 5 or 6 equally bad characters. In a way it's kindof impressive how many different ways Repentance found to make Isaac unfun.

I fully completed everything in the game in each major update to the game, but Jacob and Esau sound awful, and most of the tainted characters even less fun than that. I think I'm going to go for full completion on the un-tainted characters that are fun, and then download a 10000000000000% or whatever save so I can go back to my routine of playing Eden runs and seeing what kind of fun I can get with bizarre synergies.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

After doing an absurd run with Tainted Maggy that had Unicorn Stump plus Sharp Plug that killed Hush (with the chaos card lmao), Isaac, and ???, I just gotta say

ArfJason posted:

after 5 delirium kills or whatever the portal to void after mega satan lamb and blue baby should be 100% cause this is loving bullshit man

The worst part is the portal spawned after Isaac and I was like "no I wanna go to the chest to complete the satan/lamb/isaac/??? unlock" and hey guess what didn't spawn after blue baby :shepface:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

I fully completed everything in the game in each major update to the game, but Jacob and Esau sound awful, and most of the tainted characters even less fun than that. I think I'm going to go for full completion on the un-tainted characters that are fun, and then download a 10000000000000% or whatever save so I can go back to my routine of playing Eden runs and seeing what kind of fun I can get with bizarre synergies.

Most of the Tainted Characters are way more fun than J&E, good even! A few suck though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Where's the mod that enables health pickups in Ultra Hard

Or anything

Doing my Lost runs was more fun then this stupid horseshit.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Color Printer posted:

After doing an absurd run with Tainted Maggy that had Unicorn Stump plus Sharp Plug that killed Hush (with the chaos card lmao), Isaac, and ???, I just gotta say

The worst part is the portal spawned after Isaac and I was like "no I wanna go to the chest to complete the satan/lamb/isaac/??? unlock" and hey guess what didn't spawn after blue baby :shepface:

I'm trying to remember if it's possible for the portal to spawn twice...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Where's the mod that enables health pickups in Ultra Hard

Or anything

Doing my Lost runs was more fun then this stupid horseshit.

if you just want to flip the birds at a challenge there's a mod that puts a trophy in the starting room

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Man, Tainted Eden is not fun at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Eclipse12 posted:

I'm trying to remember if it's possible for the portal to spawn twice...

They can indeed spawn multiple times in one run thankfully.