Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Rayman games are so good I wish they weren't attached to a massive weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zaphod42 posted:

Seconding this, OS2 is better and you won't feel remotely lost if you jump into 2 not having played 1.

It was better than windows NT, that's for sure.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Out of everything concerning Ubisoft last year nothing was as...bizarre as Michael Ancel not just denying the allegations made against him about how he treated people who worked for him, but he typed up a faux-interview between himself and Jade from Beyond Good and Evil to denounce said allegations.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFvH559q7uS/?hl=en

That I believe, was an industry first.

It's not quite the same thing but the guy who voiced Cullen in Dragon Age, released a YT video where he ranted about sexual assault allegations, against JOHNNY DEPP, in character as Cullen. He was promptly fired.

This hilariously is one of the last things Bioware has said publicly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Relax Or DIE posted:

I finished raging loop last night, it's a fun ride. I don't generally engage with stories like this in a way where I'm really trying to figure everything out before the story, I can imagine if you're a fan of mystery stuff and trying to piece together clues the back end of this game would be frustrating.

I didn't play any of the extra episodes yet, not sure if I will
The extras are just kind of OK in my opinion (the best one is the epilogue of Rikako being the grumpiest shitbird to Nosato) but the Reminisce mode or whatever it's called (where there's some extra content in the main story) was fun with some of the best bits of comedy in the whole thing so I'll generally say that's worth going through.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Help Im Alive posted:

The Rayman games are so good I wish they weren't attached to a massive weirdo

Don’t think of the weirdo, think of the hundreds of others that touched the game that made it good despite him.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

managed to buy a ps5 today, can't wait to play all my ps4 games on it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Out of everything concerning Ubisoft last year nothing was as...bizarre as Michael Ancel not just denying the allegations made against him about how he treated people who worked for him, but he typed up a faux-interview between himself and Jade from Beyond Good and Evil to denounce said allegations.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFvH559q7uS/?hl=en

That I believe, was an industry first.

It's wild that the allegations against him barely made an impression next to everything else people said about the company. What a disgusting cesspit.

e: And I'd be amazed if BG&E ever made it beyond a vague prototype stage. The snippets they showed off were clearly nothing more than a sandbox full of assets - there's no game there and never will be.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1395065977566543872?s=20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
poo poo I put down my controller wrong and now Gepetto is hostile, can I salvage this run?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

YOU LIED

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

stev posted:

It's wild that the allegations against him barely made an impression next to everything else people said about the company. What a disgusting cesspit.

e: And I'd be amazed if BG&E ever made it beyond a vague prototype stage. The snippets they showed off were clearly nothing more than a sandbox full of assets - there's no game there and never will be.

Yeah, the gameplay they showed was hilariously sparse on literally everything (gameplay, art, mechanics, design, concept, everything). It was like running one of those benchmark tech demo scenes where the camera flies around a single scene with butterflies following a set path and going "This is our new open world AAA game where you can be a bounty hunter or a farmer or a sci-fi housewife and by the way, see those mountains over there? YOU CAN GO TO THEM".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

didn't read the article, I assume nose length is a game mechanic

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
smh not even trying over there

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bear
Seek
Seek
Lest this whale swallow you whole

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mutata posted:

Yeah, the gameplay they showed was hilariously sparse on literally everything (gameplay, art, mechanics, design, concept, everything). It was like running one of those benchmark tech demo scenes where the camera flies around a single scene with butterflies following a set path and going "This is our new open world AAA game where you can be a bounty hunter or a farmer or a sci-fi housewife and by the way, see those mountains over there? YOU CAN GO TO THEM".

"Hi I'm Michel Ancel and I'm a one man dev team. I'm working hard on my latest project but please be patient because the scale of my game is going to rival the largest AAA studios. Here's v0.1, running in Unreal 5. It's a bit barebones right now but it should be fully playable in a few builds. For early access to new builds please subscribe to the €100 tier on my Patreon."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Watch Nintendo make a loving peripheral

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jesus christ, that is really impressive looking. The snow, hair effects, and the rat coming out of the dead body, were really nice looking. That was all in-game real time too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I said come in! posted:

That was all in-game real time too.

it was?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2W_7ph4wY

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Suffer like P did...

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

What the gently caress?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Khanstant posted:

not to rankle any freddy heads itt - but isn't five nights at freddie's a really lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage, not-scary game mostly know for being associated with lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage youtubers who believe screaming is a form of entertainment? what's missing from this film that you think the proper FNAF movie will cover?

I don't particularly care that it's copying FNAF, other than that game's time in the limelight was years ago. That does not factor in to why I think it's a cheap scam cashgrab piece of garbage.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i will not play fnaf or see the movie or see this crappy movie thats not fnaff

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This sounds weird, but I am all for more weird unique games existing. I also love soulsbornes so if it isn't bad this'll be my jam.

Yeah this one is great.

I also loved his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3MBQciFeHo

Like he just nails the audio sound of those fire/water/air/earth temples

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

I loved Bravely Default 1 and still kinda bounced off Bravely Default 2. It just didn't really have the same spark for me, unfortunately, even as someone who loves turn-based JRPGs.

I was thinking Yakuza: Like a Dragon would be a really good gateway game for turn-based JRPGs, too. A little bit more active stuff during the combat and a relentlessly charming cast of characters with a good story.

Other games I'd recommend for someone looking to get into turn-based (or pretty much turn-based) JRPGs, if they're cool with SNES games, would be Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger. Mountains of charm, combat that's simple but with enough going on to still be engaging, and a nice, breezy pace that doesn't get bogged down.

Barkley is a great first RPG unironically. Funny, short, timed hits and stuff to make fights interesting...

Same goes for the Mario RPGs (Excluding the Partners in Time and the 3ds ones, rip) minus the short part.

LAD and P5 are super long.

I'm legitimately still kinda sad Barkley got featured creeped to death.

wuggles posted:

"Keigh3" is right there

huh is it not "keh-lee?"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no gay marriage in rune factory 5

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Do people who post contextless links expect anyone to ever click on them? Do people? :iiam:

hatty posted:

Don’t think of the weirdo, think of the hundreds of others that touched the game that made it good despite him.

A lot of poo poo people make good stuff. Unfortunate but that's how it is. :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

not to rankle any freddy heads itt - but isn't five nights at freddie's a really lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage, not-scary game mostly know for being associated with lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage youtubers who believe screaming is a form of entertainment?

the culture around fnaf is terrible but the games themselves are a great example of doing a lot with a little. each new entry has innovated on the basic concept in unique ways, and beyond the tedious lore associated with the series, the moment-to-moment writing (when it exists) has some excellent black humor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acerbatus posted:

huh is it not "keh-lee?"

Tingle Tingle Keighley Limpah

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

that new high-production FNAF game looks kinda neat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY9-jWQQHgw

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

VideoGames posted:

Willing to give anything a try and I had played a small amount of persona 5 a long while ago. I think I entered the first dungeon before putting it down and never picking it back up. Well a while ago I got P5R (do not remember how, only that I did not buy it) and I am giving it a go again.

My one piece of advice going into this game is to play on Merciless. I know I always talk about liking hard games, but Merciless actually probably makes the game the easiest, but also its most fun. Merciless triples the damage that you do when you exploit an enemy's weakness or when you exploit a status ailment (attacking a sleeping enemy, casting wind on an enemy who has caught fire, etc). Combine this with what Wuggles said about baton passing and you end up doing these huge chains of attacks that totally wipe encounters. Now, enemies will also deal 3x damage for exploiting weaknesses against you, but there's tons of ways to prevent that - most importantly, the fact that almost every encounter you're going first because of Preemptive Strikes.

In base P5, Merciless cut EXP and money gain by half, but in Royal, you get 1.2x EXP and money, so now you'll have a lot more money to mess around with in the social parts of the game, more money to get all the best equipment, and more money to spend on messing around with fusion. It's a super fun way to play the game, I almost never use status ailments in JRPGs but here they're like, some of the best skills in the game because they let your party members who can't change Personas chain baton passes on enemies they wouldn't normally be able to hit with a weakness.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my enjoyment factor of umineko climbs and plummets precipitously depending on whether a scene has the annoying kid that talks like a toddler the whole time (are they supposed to be neurodivergent?? or is this just supposed to be a cutesy quirk/affect?)

battler being horny for his cousins should also stop imo

just have all the parents sniping each other and being big shits, that's the juice

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I loved Bravely Default 1 and still kinda bounced off Bravely Default 2. It just didn't really have the same spark for me, unfortunately, even as someone who loves turn-based JRPGs.

I was thinking Yakuza: Like a Dragon would be a really good gateway game for turn-based JRPGs, too. A little bit more active stuff during the combat and a relentlessly charming cast of characters with a good story.

Other games I'd recommend for someone looking to get into turn-based (or pretty much turn-based) JRPGs, if they're cool with SNES games, would be Super Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger. Mountains of charm, combat that's simple but with enough going on to still be engaging, and a nice, breezy pace that doesn't get bogged down.

Yeah its hard to go wrong with Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger for your first.

Its funny, when VG said "turn based" my brain instantly went to strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre over just general RPG. Which, basically everybody I've shown Final Fantasy Tactics to has instantly been hooked on it, so maybe not a bad call there either. Its much more fiddly than something like Mario RPG or CT though for sure.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Also we had the conversation the other day about the Subnautica fear and I thought "hmmm I never experienced that with the game" and I just went to the loving car wash and they blast your car with foam and it was so thick it blacked out all the windows for like a full minute and I was like oh no this sucks

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its hard to go wrong with Mario RPG or Chrono Trigger for your first.

Its funny, when VG said "turn based" my brain instantly went to strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre over just general RPG. Which, basically everybody I've shown Final Fantasy Tactics to has instantly been hooked on it, so maybe not a bad call there either. Its much more fiddly than something like Mario RPG or CT though for sure.

Yeah it's more fiddly, but I think it might also be easier to grasp for some types of people because you can conceptualize it as a board game. You've got this grid, you move your little pieces around on their turns, there are some dice rolls in the background, that sort of thing. It's a different kind of experience from a more standard JRPG but for some people I imagine it has more of a hook.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

(P5R difficulty stuff)

One important note is that P5R is happy to let you change the difficulty at any time outside of combat, so there's no risk in trying out different difficulty levels to see what feels good to you.

It's also pretty amusing that for much of the game Merciless really is easier than Hard, especially for one particular mid-game boss.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Also we had the conversation the other day about the Subnautica fear and I thought "hmmm I never experienced that with the game" and I just went to the loving car wash and they blast your car with foam and it was so thick it blacked out all the windows for like a full minute and I was like oh no this sucks

I miss the multicolored soap, it was like a hundred wonderful magical unicorns jizzing all over your face

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hwurmp posted:

I miss the multicolored soap, it was like a hundred wonderful magical unicorns jizzing all over your face

You mean on your car right?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the two best beginner JRPGs are probably Paper Mario TTYD or one of the Pokemon games. Theres a huge list of games that I love but don't think people would like unless they were already fans of the genre. Like, FF9 is a great game but the actual process of playing the game is pretty simple, and there's very little to do in terms of building your characters and fights are incredibly simple. Paper Mario is kind of like FFX in that there's a ton of little micromanagey things to keep you engaged for fights. Those two games are good at introducing you to the concepts that are the center of some of the best JRPGs like the SMT series, so they're great learning games for the genre.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

the culture around fnaf is terrible but the games themselves are a great example of doing a lot with a little. each new entry has innovated on the basic concept in unique ways, and beyond the tedious lore associated with the series, the moment-to-moment writing (when it exists) has some excellent black humor

Legitimately love that the series spawned from Scott Cawthon reading criticism for his earlier games and going "Oh they think my characters look like creepy animatronics? I'll show them creepy animatronics"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Khanstant posted:

not to rankle any freddy heads itt - but isn't five nights at freddie's a really lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage, not-scary game mostly know for being associated with lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage youtubers who believe screaming is a form of entertainment? what's missing from this film that you think the proper FNAF movie will cover?

I mean no not really but it most definitely spawned copy cats that are exactly what you're describing