Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Butterfly Valley posted:

performatively poo poo on beans on toast

Hey, leave my mom out of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

For any question like "aren't/isn't American ______ all ____________" the answer is probably "no." It's a big country and tastes vary.

I mean your standard baked beans in tomato sauce from a tin, I always thought the reason Americans find it super weird we have them for breakfast in a fry up is that they are a sweet thing over there

boar guy posted:

beans on toast just seems like the kind of thing you'd only eat if there was literally nothing else available, just pure poverty food

Nah

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 19, 2021

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/jeeeverz/status/1394873128430358530

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

boar guy posted:

beans on toast just seems like the kind of thing you'd only eat if there was literally nothing else available, just pure poverty food

biscuits and gravy, my friend

I dare you to tell me biscuits and gravy aren't amazing, and thats basically the same thing

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sound!
https://i.imgur.com/sgOlOnK.mp4

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RFC2324 posted:

biscuits and gravy, my friend

I dare you to tell me biscuits and gravy aren't amazing, and thats basically the same thing

????

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'd eat it, but I'm a pothead

besides, aussies turn everything on its head

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

boar guy posted:

Sounds like the kind of thing you'd see a homeless person eating in a Pixar film so you feel really bad for them.

I'd be down to try it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So what do these british beans taste like then?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah you've had beans on toast - but have you ever tried toast under beans?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Toast in beans

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Beans, beans, the gooniest fruit
The more you eat, the more you derail a thread to talk about their quality as a food item

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm an American but i don't understand the befuddlement of using a bread thing to scoop up other food for eating. it's something people do in just about every culture in the dang world.

if Heinz baked beans are the default canned Brit bean and Bush's are the American one, the main difference in ingredients seems to be Heinz features tomato prominently and Bush's has bacon and mustard.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Absurdly blessed. Unbelievably blessed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

boar guy posted:

Kinda yes and now, I eat beans on toast all the time by choice. Though obviously being thoroughly middle class nowadays it's organic beans on homemade sourdough toast. Just really great, maybe with a touch of Worcester sauce on there as well.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

frytechnician posted:

Absurdly blessed. Unbelievably blessed.

And absolutely worth a second watch. I was so focused on the dad when he opens it, but watched it again --- and watch her try to keep a straight face, she can't. :kimchi:

Sheer blessings

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And absolutely worth a second watch. I was so focused on the dad when he opens it, but watched it again --- and watch her try to keep a straight face, she can't. :kimchi:

Sheer blessings
I scrolled back up and noticed her Twitter name after the dad read it :blessed:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

For any question like "aren't/isn't American ______ all ____________" the answer is probably "no." It's a big country and tastes vary.

Obviously not all beans but yes it seems canned beans generally have more sugar/maple syrup in the US:

wikipedia posted:

Despite their international fame, there are currently substantial differences between the Heinz baked beans produced for the UK market (descended from the original American recipe) and the nearest currently equivalent American product (Heinz Premium Vegetarian Beans).

The American product contains brown sugar where the British beans do not, and the U.S. product contains 14 g of sugar per 16 oz tin[24] compared to 7 g for the British version (equating to 140 versus 90 calories).

boar guy posted:

So either you think the entire British Isles is an impoverished wasteland (lol it's heading that way but not yet), or that every British person is indulging in some long con game where we pretend to like something to annoy Americans? Or your imagination is so terrible that you can't possibly believe that a thing you haven't tasted could be good?

No-one's trying to argue it's haute cuisine but it's an extremely quick and tasty breakfast or lunch while being relatively nutritious. The argument that its solely a nostalgic thing is bollocks, I live in Europe and have regularly made beans on toast either by itself or as part of a larger fry up for international friends whenever they've stayed over and they've all enjoyed it. My Turkish girlfriend loves it.

Sorry for all of these unblessed words about an extremely benign subject but evidently it rustles my jimmies when people scoff at something so inoffensive.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

nah its all good but like when i was young and real poor sometimes id eat pancakes for like two weeks in a row and i dont care if wolfgang puck makes them im not loving eating pancakes any more

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao maple syrup

Now, proper baked beans have molasses, it's true

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Argh

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skarsnik posted:

I mean your standard baked beans in tomato sauce from a tin, I always thought the reason Americans find it super weird we have them for breakfast in a fry up is that they are a sweet thing over there

Nah

It's more like the reason tacos and pizza aren't breakfast foods, and pancakes aren't for dinner: it just isn't traditional.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I'm an American who has never eaten baked beans because they look disgusting. Black beans are where it's at.

In blessed news, today is Ollie's 12th birthday.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I started adding baked beans to my breakfast after watching too many British cooking shows, and both the sweet and more savory versions work just fine.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

GI_Clutch posted:

I'm an American who has never eaten baked beans because they look disgusting. Black beans are where it's at.

Baked beans are in an entirely different food category to any other beans though, you can't really compare the two

You don't use baked beans in any kind of actual cooking. They just get heated up and dumped on or next to a thing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This entire thread is entirely blessed:
https://twitter.com/zizifothsi/status/1395039903440900101

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Baked beans are in an entirely different food category to any other beans though, you can't really compare the two

You don't use baked beans in any kind of actual cooking. They just get heated up and dumped on or next to a thing

NO, you eat them cold from a tin can you just took from your bindlestick, then you steal a pie that is cooling on a windowsill. It's like people forgot how to hobo!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's because it's so expensive to get into these days, just look at the prices for an entry-level bindle!

http://www.bindlebros.com/new-products

(I sincerely apologise for putting content from the cursed thread in the blessed thread)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Arguing about food isn’t blessed

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

whydirt posted:

Arguing about food isn’t blessed

It's all good, we're on to hobos now

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

How about some #blessedbeans

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/153877/somewhere-i-have-never-travelledgladly-beyond

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

A blessed spread that I stole from Reddit, I imagine most American's might only find a problem with the blood pudding.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

nomad2020 posted:

A blessed spread that I stole from Reddit, I imagine most American's might only find a problem with the blood pudding.

Solid hot sauce choice, but those beans have no business being there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

nomad2020 posted:

is this made by a person in the USA or can you actually get yucateca in Britain? they could use a hot sauce injection over there.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

It's more like the reason tacos. . . aren't breakfast foods

My man, what part of the US are you in where breakfast tacos or burritos aren't a thing?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Beans on toast is a snack rather than a full meal. If you're properly hungry you have to make a full fry up.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

GI_Clutch posted:

In blessed news, today is Ollie's 12th birthday.

Happy Birthday Ollie :3:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ironhead posted:

My man, what part of the US are you in where breakfast tacos or burritos aren't a thing?

Most US breakfast tacos don't include beans. It's typically eggs, meat, and cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007