Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

I can't imagine the batteries required to move an RV over interstate distances.

The Hummer pretty much figured this out for everyone. 200kWh, IIRC. At an RV park, that'd take what, 36 hours to charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

The Hummer pretty much figured this out for everyone. 200kWh, IIRC. At an RV park, that'd take what, 36 hours to charge?

Assuming 10%-80%, almost exactly 24hrs at 6kW, if it comes with a 12kW AC charger and you can find full 50A rated outlets on 60A circuits, you could cut that down to 12hrs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

Assuming 10%-80%, almost exactly 24hrs at 6kW, if it comes with a 12kW AC charger and you can find full 50A rated outlets on 60A circuits, you could cut that down to 12hrs.
I was thinking about electric RVs today and wondering if some might just do dual inlets. I'm not a big smarty pants but thought that might be a bit of a cheat they could do :shrug:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Charles posted:

I was thinking about electric RVs today and wondering if some might just do dual inlets. I'm not a big smarty pants but thought that might be a bit of a cheat they could do :shrug:

I reckon you might start seeing CCS chargers at RV parks. You might even see options to retrofit older RVs to use CCS chargers: they probably already have an inverter anyway.

If this happens in my lifetime, I promise all of you right now that I will remark "what a time to be alive".

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don’t understand this mentality, or the “I won’t get a loan for longer than the warranty” mentality.

I understand the reasons for not getting a 7-year loan when it comes with a higher interest rate than what you can get with a shorter loan.

Is this because I’m 100% a “drive it into the ground” type of person rather than a “sell it and get something new every 3 years” person? When I buy a car, I’m not at all looking at or worrying about the resale value because I know I’m gonna drive it into the ground and maybe get like $1000 for it when I’m done with it. I’m 38 years old, have had a car almost consistently since I turned 16, and I’ve only owned 3 cars in my life. The one I bought a couple years ago being the first and only one I’ve bought new. 🤷🏻‍♂️

There’s a major difference between choosing a longer finance term because you got a good rate and choosing a larger loan because it got you more vehicle than you could otherwise afford. If you can only afford $500/mo for a vehicle and $0 down that tells me a $4,000 transmission is not something you could afford to pull out of your rear end.

The simple and sad fact is that the people who would most benefit from buying a $5,000 car and running it until death are also the people who cannot afford to do that. They can’t afford the initial outlay, they can’t afford to be picky with the purchase, and they can’t afford to do the maintenance every older car needs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
good news: you can now buy service on payment so that solves the last problem :v:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I’m thinking of a Ford Transit EV.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

good news: you can now buy service on payment so that solves the last problem :v:

Take it from your boy Ice T

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This seems to be the appropriate thread to ask about this, my wife is looking at a new vehicle and we're going to be considering hybrid and fully EV options. One such option she likes the look of is the 2021 Range Rover Velar the "P400e" is their new hybrid and the internet discusses it in articles and videos, it seems to EXIST, and yet when I look at car aggregator buying websites and dealer websites, and even their own build your own car tool - the car/engine option doesn't exist.

Am I going crazy and just missing something about buying one in the US?

One example of an article about the car - "For the first time, the 2021 Range Rover Velar P400e is available with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine paired with a 105-kW electric motor producing a combined 398 hp and 472 lb-ft of torque, enabling the electrified luxury SUV to sprint from 0-62 mph in 5.1 seconds. A 17.1kWh lithium-ion battery located under the floor provides an all-electric range of 33 miles and can be charged to 80 percent in 30 minutes using a fast DC charge point."

I could just call a dealer but I'm trying to avoid return calls for weeks from salespeople.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

cruft posted:

https://www.blue-bird.com/buses/electric-school-buses
155kWh gets a 240km(150mi) range on this ev schoolie.
this is all medium/heavy duty truck hardware. Class-As are also built on medium/heavy duty truck hardware.

Eaton has a new fascinating electric drive axle utilizing some of the legacy parts that's coming into the heavy duty arena through Freightliner. https://freightliner.com/trucks/ecascadia
its rated at 475kWh and 400km(250mi) @ rated capacity which is 37k-kg(82k-lb)

With the tandem axle class-A RVs (mind you not tag) being rated for 27.8k-kg (48k-lb) gross, that affords a lot of battery.
The hummer is four tons with 200kWh.
9k-kg(20k-lb)** unladen base frame and body, 2.3k-kg(5k-lb) rv conversion. that leaves 10k-kg(23k-lb) for battery. Say without all the GMthiccness you can pack in 6 hummer battery modules. That's 800kWh.

** this is factoring the weight of the original medium duty engine/transmission.

Give it time. The RV industry is sometimes much like the vehicles themselves in that they're slow to respond. Electric campervans are starting to crop up partly because of the vanlyfe trend driving luxury appointments.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 19, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

tangy yet delightful posted:

This seems to be the appropriate thread to ask about this, my wife is looking at a new vehicle and we're going to be considering hybrid and fully EV options. One such option she likes the look of is the 2021 Range Rover Velar the "P400e" is their new hybrid and the internet discusses it in articles and videos, it seems to EXIST, and yet when I look at car aggregator buying websites and dealer websites, and even their own build your own car tool - the car/engine option doesn't exist.

One example of an article about the car - "For the first time, the 2021 Range Rover Velar P400e is available with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine paired with a 105-kW electric motor producing a combined 398 hp and 472 lb-ft of torque, enabling the electrified luxury SUV to sprint from 0-62 mph in 5.1 seconds. A 17.1kWh lithium-ion battery located under the floor provides an all-electric range of 33 miles and can be charged to 80 percent in 30 minutes using a fast DC charge point."

I could just call a dealer but I'm trying to avoid return calls for weeks from salespeople.

That article is about the UK variant, I only see the Sport and full big-boy model here :(
As for salespeople, I used a Google Voice throwaway number, yes they do really keep calling! :P

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I know this thread will probably like the Ford Lightning, but do you think it will sell well outside of fleet / govt sales? No one that I know who currently owns an F-150 wants a Lightning, and my buddy who leased a Volt a few years ago and at first really liked it is now looking at replacing it with a Tacoma because he does a lot of road trips and cold weather driving, but I still feel like it should do decent numbers just from the sheer number of people who buy an F-150.

Advent Horizon posted:

The simple and sad fact is that the people who would most benefit from buying a $5,000 car and running it until death are also the people who cannot afford to do that. They can’t afford the initial outlay, they can’t afford to be picky with the purchase, and they can’t afford to do the maintenance every older car needs.

I'm surprised someone hasn't come out with a company that will loan you money to buy a 20 year old LS400 or similar car. The used car market is ridiculous right now and it's an easy way to make 4-?% interest.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My bank will loan cash for a used car at 2.9%, though I think it's limited to 10 year old cars at most. But a 10 y.o. Corolla should be enough for everyone really.

Since interest rates are low and opportunity costs are high, I've been looking for ways to finance an older Porsche but it seems like buying with cash and then taking out a margin loan from the broker for the amount I would've financed might be a way around thess limitations and get you lower rates. Obviously not an option in every case.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 19, 2021

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Look at this pretty little thing:

147 hp, 31kWh battery and around 200 km of range.

Four speed manual and manual windows :haw:

No word yet if they are actually gonna build it but i hope they do. The world needs more cars like this and less CUVs.

Oh and the area between the headlights is actually a screen which can display the Opel logo or whatever else you want. No way that is going to end up in a production version though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How it started

Shai-Hulud posted:

Now it's going:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

They ruined it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's the Opel Manta GSe ElektroMOD.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/opel-manta-gse-rear-drive-ev-manual-box
By the fact that you don't see the battery pack hanging off the bottom, it's either really squeezed in there, or just a mockup / render.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For fancy SUVs you can get a Cayenne PHEV or there will be a Macan EV next year. It's OK not to take them on the track btw.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/cayenne-models/cayenne-e-hybrid-coupe/

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/elektroauto/porsche-macan-2023-elektro-suv-und-verbrenner

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Charles posted:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/opel-manta-gse-rear-drive-ev-manual-box
By the fact that you don't see the battery pack hanging off the bottom, it's either really squeezed in there, or just a mockup / render.

Huh, looks like at least it's a new thing then. I thought for sure it's what was build to sell the Mokka cuv. My grandfather had a Manta B for a bit so I'd love a real Manta EV but these kind of things rarely go into production.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, at least they had the Mokka lurking in the background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUvL4AuvZPk

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Charles posted:

Theres supposedly at least one real one they built. Its only a 30kWh battery so its not that big. You could cram it under the hood and the seats easily. They managed to fit a 36 kWh battery into my Mii which is a much smaller car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my pro car buying tip is don't buy a LR

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shai-Hulud posted:

147 hp, 31kWh battery and around 200 km of range.

Four speed manual and manual windows :haw:

No word yet if they are actually gonna build it but i hope they do. The world needs more cars like this and less CUVs.

Oh and the area between the headlights is actually a screen which can display the Opel logo or whatever else you want. No way that is going to end up in a production version though.

Those beautiful thin A pillars... :cry:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

If it's real I hope they used Quaife internals for the gearbox, those M20's they used to use would handgrenade if they got even a hint of EV style torque but it looks like a render so *shrug*

At least I think it was an M20, the Opel gearbox that was in the local Torana here I seem to recall was in a few Opel models, not 100% sure if it was in the Manta too. Be that as it may the Opel 4 speed wasnt exactly known for strength

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I know this thread will probably like the Ford Lightning, but do you think it will sell well outside of fleet / govt sales?

Yup.

I figure the demographic who never wants anything done for the first time will start coming around to electric in 2-4 years. It'll start with the farmers who have solar arrays in the corners of their fields that don't get irrigated. Never need to buy gas for the truck again? Sign me up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If there's a fleet offering coupled with fed incentives it'll start there, and then guys who are exposed to them if they're good will buy them for personal use.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the F-150 will sell like hot cakes for fleets and spread from there. People are paying insane prices for trucks nowadays, the EV pricing of an Electric F-150 will fall right in line with what people are already dropping.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Provided the specs are good I’ll definitely be trading in my Tesla for an E-F150

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The fact that Ford kept the frame basically the same between the 2015+ generation(s) and the new Lightning means that retrofits a few (or more) years down the road will be relatively easy.
Which is fantastic.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

McTinkerson posted:

The fact that Ford kept the frame basically the same between the 2015+ generation(s) and the new Lightning means that retrofits a few (or more) years down the road will be relatively easy.
Which is fantastic.

It's a fully boxed frame, like the older Toyota Hilux pickups. It is very strong.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/jalopnik/status/1395032890124079106?s=21

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A Ranger EV would be nice, hopefully that is forthcoming soon. I liked the Ranger but hated the powertrain.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, batteries are heavy. Wait'll they find out about the new Hummer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

VideoGameVet posted:

It's a fully boxed frame, like the older Toyota Hilux pickups. It is very strong.

Well that's a far cry from the swiss cheese frames of the early 80s.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Yahoo maybe just broke embargo and listed the starting price for the F150 under 40k. The mid-range model is 53k. Seems nuts!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

particle9 posted:

Yahoo maybe just broke embargo and listed the starting price for the F150 under 40k. The mid-range model is 53k. Seems nuts!

quote:

How Much It Will Cost and When Can I Buy One?

Although an official date has yet to be announced, the F-150 Lightning is expected to arrive in dealerships during the middle of next year. The automaker did announce that the standard-range model will start at $39,974, before any federal or state tax credits, while pricing for the mid-range model begins at $52,974. We’re still waiting for more info on different trim levels or a launch edition, so don’t be surprised if it ends up costing a bit more when it first goes on sale.

That's game over if it's true. The R1T is supposed to be $69k?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

That's game over if it's true. The R1T is supposed to be $69k?

Going to the double cab is a $9k option on the base F-150 so bear that in mind

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

Going to the double cab is a $9k option on the base F-150 so bear that in mind

I can’t see a regular cab being an option though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Someone on twitter estimated 145 kWh battery based on the weight, isn't that a fair amount larger than anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MomJeans420 posted:

Someone on twitter estimated 145 kWh battery based on the weight, isn't that a fair amount larger than anything else?

My napkin math looking at the quoted charge rate and time to charge puts it in the 150kWh range as well so this battery is definitely beefy.