Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Smythe posted:

i dont like it

Yeah quickcast sucks. I wanna say some patch years back turned it on and it was loving me up.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
quickcast owns, but you gotta configure it to cast on key press, not key release, and add it to items and attack

my only issue with quickcast was that it removes double click to self-cast and I suck at pressing alt+hotkey to self-cast, but you can set the alt modifier to any other key, so I have it set up to mouse 5 (the "forward" browser button) and even that alone is way better than double click to self-cast

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Like, even if you don't use quick cast, turning off double tap to self cast and using alt instead is worth it. No longer do I get flamed for accidentally shallow graving myself in the heat of a battle (now I just get flamed for not using it at all)

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Can anyone teach me how to play some new offlane heroes? 2.2kmmr and had a lot of fun with vanguard aghs bristleback but I feel a nerf incoming and need soon hints on a different easy dude to play.

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Can anyone teach me how to play some new offlane heroes? 2.2kmmr and had a lot of fun with vanguard aghs bristleback but I feel a nerf incoming and need soon hints on a different easy dude to play.

Try centaur - it's a very straightforward gameplan. Strong disable, your only job is to get in there and whomp a dude. Loves tanky items, so pick up components to vanguard -> crimson guard or hood -> pipe (or both!) depending on what aura your team needs (do they have a Phantom Lancer or lots of physical attacks? Crimson Guard! The death summary popup from Dota Plus and deaths is pretty useful for this. I think it's borderline criminal how many centaurs pick up a hood for themselves to mitigate double edge damage and don't continue on to pipe; and similarly for vanguard. It's a boatload of effective healing and resistance for the team, and at least as influential as mek (and probably moreso).

Beyond that, you generally just want to get a blink dagger for initation and then either more aura items, more defensive items that help prop up squishier members of your team, or an Aghanim's Scepter.

Even in lane, the skill build is flexible. If you can be aggressive, you'd level double edge to really punish poor lane setups, and if you aren't, you can level retaliate to try and recovery farm once you hit the jungle. IIRC hoof stomp has been nerfed to require more active point scaling, so a lot of the time I'll end up at 1-4-1-1 or even 2-4-0-1.

e: I should caveat this with I am not great at this game as I sit in mid-Ancient and don't really have the time to devote to DOTA that I used to, but here's a replay! 5987217779 Pretty sure what you'll see here is me losing to jugg and/or making some boneheaded plays, but sticking to the gameplan of get defensive item and blink, help team, which I think illustrates cent pretty effectively.

feedtheid fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 19, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw this on discord and it was too perfect to not share. :v:

Smythe posted:

i dont like it

It's okay to be wrong :smug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

i only play beastmaster, sorry.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if someone picks beastmaster ill play underlord who doesnt do anything but somehow you win sometimes. strange hero. he is more like the wind, or a smell, than an active participant in the game.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

feedtheid posted:

Try centaur -...

I genuinely appreciate the effort post, I'll give it a go with your advice on mind this weekend.

Any tips for the laning stage? I just can't quite figure out what's broken about centaur. Most heroes have a easy thing to understand that's brokenly good about them, with centaur i feel I have an okay stun, a okay nuke, an okay passive that's useless past the laning stage and a decent ult that helps my team initiate. I just doesn't click for me what my power spikes are.

But I am a Bad.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I'm bad too, but enjoying the whole newbie discovery aspect of it. Working through the roles alphabetically, one from each, to try and figure them out. Thing I've noticed so far is that DOTA feels way more subdued presentation-wise than other MOBAs but every new hero I try feels amazing to play.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

I genuinely appreciate the effort post, I'll give it a go with your advice on mind this weekend.

Any tips for the laning stage? I just can't quite figure out what's broken about centaur. Most heroes have a easy thing to understand that's brokenly good about them, with centaur i feel I have an okay stun, a okay nuke, an okay passive that's useless past the laning stage and a decent ult that helps my team initiate. I just doesn't click for me what my power spikes are.

But I am a Bad.

The ult is pretty good as is just having way more str gain than any other hero. The nuke and the passive good vs summon and illusion heroes. He's like smythe's description of Underlord, he doesn't do anything but then you win. Also his ult is like underlord's in that it's an initiation ult that always gets used as an escape instead. (at least escaping with centaur ult your carry's not going to be abandoned to die because he was diving instead of getting on the bus)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

His passive does scale past the laning stage but you must build str items to make shine (though he does have the best str gain in the game as well). One of my buddies played a ton of centaur and I found him a useful teammate in a lot of lineups, but as mentioned best against summon/illusion heroes.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

But I am a Bad.

centaur is a big strong beefy boy who psychologically dominates your opponents by forcing them, via Yuri's Psycho Dominator, to uselessly cast their spells upon his large shambling form, allowing for Rylai to channel her ultimate to completion (dealing over 9000 damage) and Mangina the Anti-Mage to cut through their backline like an adamantium thresher through jello

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can rush a Vanguard and become almost unkillable for 10 minutes. You make a lot of space by dominating the safelaner and killing their tower with Retaliate, and later on you have utility as a tanky initiator with a low cooldown nuke and an ultimate that's great for entering or leaving fights.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

theres some skills quickfast feels mandatory on, spirit breaker charge for example

This is insane to me. The only skill I have on quick-cast is Lion & SS hex, even that feels bad when you want to precast.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
What is precast?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You can rush a Vanguard and become almost unkillable for 10 minutes. You make a lot of space by dominating the safelaner and killing their tower with Retaliate, and later on you have utility as a tanky initiator with a low cooldown nuke and an ultimate that's great for entering or leaving fights.

3,000 Hours played and Today I Learned that Retaliate gets triggered off towers too

Maybe I did know that once upon a time, but DOTABuff says my last game as Centaur was in 2015 lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

wait you can set quickcast for only specific heroes and hero abilities not all? This is one of many reasons why I'm bad at this game.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 19, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

What is precast?

press the button and hover ur mouse over leoric as he rezzes

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bawfuls posted:

wait you can set quickcast for only specific heroes and hero abilities not all? This is one of many reasons why I'm bad at this game.

Click unit specific hotkeys, then set Quickcast to Abaddon's coil (or whatever) and regular cast to shield for example.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

theres some skills quickfast feels mandatory on, spirit breaker charge for example

Spirit Breaker is by far my most played hero and I can say it is not.

Smythe posted:

Part of the reason I could never get a feel for quickcast in "MOBAs".

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i don't understand how anyone could not use quickcast on basically everything

like, you literally turn 2 buttons into 1 button. you do everything faster.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Smythe posted:

with actual quickcast, this is just called "hover the mouse over leoric" tho

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cock hero flux posted:

i don't understand how anyone could not use quickcast on basically everything

like, you literally turn 2 buttons into 1 button. you do everything faster.

It's barely any difference in time and we've played RTS games for like thirty years and it's how the controls worked for all of those.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Plank Walker posted:

The ult is pretty good as is just having way more str gain than any other hero. The nuke and the passive good vs summon and illusion heroes. He's like smythe's description of Underlord, he doesn't do anything but then you win. Also his ult is like underlord's in that it's an initiation ult that always gets used as an escape instead. (at least escaping with centaur ult your carry's not going to be abandoned to die because he was diving instead of getting on the bus)

Can you elaborate on using Dark Rift to initiate? Underlord is cool but I suck at this game and rarely make good use of his ult.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
That was just kind of a snide aside, I've rarely witnessed it in my low skill games but you can use it like a Io's relocate to bring your carry and some other teammates to an aggressive position, instead of just always using it to tp to fountain as an escape valve for when a dive goes bad. It's good as an oh poo poo panic button escape but if you have the coordination to use it offensively it can really punish the other team. In pubs though, it's just really hard to get everyone to commit to a mass aggressive tp unless you like just got wiped and are all in base or something, and it requires more setup than Io relocate since you need a creep wave pushing to tp onto, and at least at my MMR there's no correlation between fight location and creep wave location

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Like in theory you can Underlord ult your whole team to turn a solo push into a full 5 man gank or a free tower, in practice though, your underlord is going to use it to tp all but one of you out of a teamfight that you maybe could have otherwise won

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

with actual quickcast, this is just called "hover the mouse over leoric" tho

Disgusting

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
As Underlord, buy a Helm of the Dominator and control a random creep and plant it deep in the trees next to the lane on the enemies side of the river. Teleport your whole team to that creep and catch someone extraordinarily off-guard then turn it into a pushed objective. A little bit of planning or trickery can end a pub match, though many times noone will comply and you'll salt out.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Uncle Spriggly posted:

As Underlord, buy a Helm of the Dominator and control a random creep and plant it deep in the trees next to the lane on the enemies side of the river. Teleport your whole team to that creep and catch someone extraordinarily off-guard then turn it into a pushed objective. A little bit of planning or trickery can end a pub match, though many times noone will comply and you'll salt out.

seems like a lot of effort when instead you can mindlessly derp around pressing the green aoe spell until you either win or lose

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Smythe posted:

seems like a lot of effort when instead you can mindlessly derp around pressing the green aoe spell until you either win or lose

Yeah, I'm better at doing this one.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You don't really have to do anything to win as Underlord

If you can finish 2 aura items before the enemy team goes highground you're probably going to win

feedtheid
Oct 17, 2006

we get it, you're too busy fellating Gabe to put yourself into someone else's shoes

TOOT BOOT posted:

You don't really have to do anything to win as Underlord

If you can finish 2 aura items before the enemy team goes highground you're probably going to win

Also an aoe root can do horrible things to mobility heroes like storm and dawnbreaker.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

everybody buys gleipnir on underlord now and it loving sucks to play against

do that, i guess

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

cock hero flux posted:

everybody buys gleipnir on underlord now and it loving sucks to play against

do that, i guess

I did get a Rod of Atos one game and it got us a couple kills, but we still lost.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Unrelated to the discussion at hand, I have a CM hero quest to Frostbite creeps... But it doesn't count for Neutral creeps?? So dumb because I'm not going to steal creeps from my carry in lane, then I'm with the team pushing / fighting. If I'm actually in lane alone I'd way rather just Crystal Nova poo poo and right click down what didn't die, not Frostbite the loving ranged creep.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Unrelated to the discussion at hand, I have a CM hero quest to Frostbite creeps... But it doesn't count for Neutral creeps?? So dumb because I'm not going to steal creeps from my carry in lane, then I'm with the team pushing / fighting. If I'm actually in lane alone I'd way rather just Crystal Nova poo poo and right click down what didn't die, not Frostbite the loving ranged creep.
In my experience the hero quests/challenges are wildly unbalanced. Some like this seem almost counter-productive to the hero's typical role. Some are in line with the hero's role but numerically very difficult to reach without a 60 minute game. Others are nearly guaranteed 3-star in any win.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive done a hero challenge intentionally and i never will

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
theres only 1 quest in dota: to drive you enemies to uninstall the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I like some of the taunts you can earn. Still working towards the Treant one where he says "ah fresh fertilizer"