Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The 7th Guest posted:

no gay marriage in rune factory 5

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

The 7th Guest posted:

my enjoyment factor of umineko climbs and plummets precipitously depending on whether a scene has the annoying kid that talks like a toddler the whole time (are they supposed to be neurodivergent?? or is this just supposed to be a cutesy quirk/affect?)

battler being horny for his cousins should also stop imo

just have all the parents sniping each other and being big shits, that's the juice
All those things are definitely going places, I can guarantee that much.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Relax Or DIE posted:

every superhero movie is worse than willy's wonderland

Remember. You've gotta take breaks! <after murdering creepy animatronic animals>

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The 7th Guest posted:

no gay marriage in rune factory 5

Has that game not come out yet???

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Shinjobi posted:

Has that game not come out yet???

Next week

e: this is a pretty good deal for 20 bux

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/bandai-2021

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 19, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I’ve played like ten hours of P5R this past week and it’s so good. I’m wrapping up some mementos and confidant stuff before taking on the last base game palace.

I’m putting it on my list twice in a row and no one can stop me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My one piece of advice going into this game is to play on Merciless. I know I always talk about liking hard games, but Merciless actually probably makes the game the easiest, but also its most fun. Merciless triples the damage that you do when you exploit an enemy's weakness or when you exploit a status ailment (attacking a sleeping enemy, casting wind on an enemy who has caught fire, etc). Combine this with what Wuggles said about baton passing and you end up doing these huge chains of attacks that totally wipe encounters. Now, enemies will also deal 3x damage for exploiting weaknesses against you, but there's tons of ways to prevent that - most importantly, the fact that almost every encounter you're going first because of Preemptive Strikes.

In base P5, Merciless cut EXP and money gain by half, but in Royal, you get 1.2x EXP and money, so now you'll have a lot more money to mess around with in the social parts of the game, more money to get all the best equipment, and more money to spend on messing around with fusion. It's a super fun way to play the game, I almost never use status ailments in JRPGs but here they're like, some of the best skills in the game because they let your party members who can't change Personas chain baton passes on enemies they wouldn't normally be able to hit with a weakness.

I think I'm gonna switch to Merciless based on this...

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
finished up anodyne 2 today, after playing it (and some pokemon sword) through a web continuing ed conference today. good rear end game, highly recommended. understandable if the aesthetic(s) don't vibe with you. i think it's really well served if you go in to it blind.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

not to rankle any freddy heads itt - but isn't five nights at freddie's a really lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage, not-scary game mostly know for being associated with lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage youtubers who believe screaming is a form of entertainment?

No, not at all

They're children's horror titles by a Christian dude who used his artistic talent of making weird-looking 3D stuff that made people feel uncomfortable to put out some black comedy horror games. Then he was so excited about developing games that he kept putting out more, as well as including lots of little secrets in them to give people something to latch onto if they want or otherwise just have an interesting and short simple time management horror game. Also he kept changing up lore stuff to gently caress with the people who kept trying to dissect the lore of his games which was pretty funny.

Ignoring the people associated with the fandom of his work, he's a cool and good guy who puts effort into stuff, has gone above and beyond when dealing with backlash to his work (mainly the weird fnaf rpg he made), and to be honest I'd probably compare his work and output to your own art but if you were making simple short horror games with your art and not just the art itself.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

finished up anodyne 2 today, after playing it (and some pokemon sword) through a web continuing ed conference today. good rear end game, highly recommended. understandable if the aesthetic(s) don't vibe with you. i think it's really well served if you go in to it blind.

Did you finish just the regular ending or the post ending stuff? The post ending stuff is fascinating.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Acerbatus posted:

Did you finish just the regular ending or the post ending stuff? The post ending stuff is fascinating.

I saw everything the game had to show me. I apprecaited when Melos decided to casually break the 4th wall and say "hey thanks for playing!"

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I saw everything the game had to show me. I apprecaited when Melos decided to casually break the 4th wall and say "hey thanks for playing!"

The stuff with Nora legitimately freaked me the gently caress out. Just the art style shift kinda put me on edge and then OH CHRIST WHAT IS THAT :gonk:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

The stuff with Nora legitimately freaked me the gently caress out. Just the art style shift kinda put me on edge and then OH CHRIST WHAT IS THAT :gonk:

That stuff was so good. I didn't make use of it, but I did appreciate the 4th wall break there too where the game tells you "hey you, yes you if you're not digging this or having a bad time you can just skip it by climbing out the window" which was a neat thing to do. There's so much fun, interesting, unique and genuinely heartfelt stuff in the game that I want other people to play it to see what they latch on to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When Genshin Impact first launched, I bounced off it right away. There is a new update out now, and I am going to give it another try. I can't stay away from the anime waifu's.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are the Persona Q games any good? I've heard that they are generally just snapshots of character traits without much depth but are they any good as dungeon crawlers?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Are the Persona Q games any good? I've heard that they are generally just snapshots of character traits without much depth but are they any good as dungeon crawlers?

The first game is awful stay away

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Check out the soundtracks though cause they're both amazing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the only thing better than PQ's dueling fight themes was what you got when you overlaid them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXl4lrqdeI

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

The first game is awful stay away

Agreed, PQ is pretty terrible.

PQ2 is... Less bad? I wouldn't really recommend it but there's stuff to like.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I really liked Persona Q 1 & 2, but they do dump a massive amount of dialog on you, which you all know I am not a big fan of. I have a soft spot though for first person dungeon crawlers.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think PQ1 is a fun alternative to Etrian Odyssey but yeah the dialogue is all not good and there's way too much of it. The character building stuff is fun but takes a while for you to get access to the real combo abilities, but until then you can just cheese the game with casting Mudo on every enemy if you give Naoto ailment boost which for some reason considers instant kills as a status ailment

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think PQ1 is a fun alternative to Etrian Odyssey but yeah the dialogue is all not good and there's way too much of it. The character building stuff is fun but takes a while for you to get access to the real combo abilities, but until then you can just cheese the game with casting Mudo on every enemy if you give Naoto ailment boost which for some reason considers instant kills as a status ailment

I have just been watching a Let's Play and lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nucyHlo-inQ&t=3171s

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My playthrough of Persona 4 got run totally off the rails because semi-late into the game I got a fusion accident that spit out a Pazuzu with death boost and mamudoon and Invigorate 3 and uh, they REALLY juiced up the odds in the player's favor in some of the recent SMT games

I'm about to play P5R I think and I might try some Mudo skills because I definitely haven't touched them at all in any of my playthroughs

PQ has a really funny system though where every Persona gives you not just the skills, but also a buffer of HP and SP that refill at the beginning of every fight, meaning you never get too low on SP to start a fight off with a free insta-kill spell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

When Genshin Impact first launched, I bounced off it right away. There is a new update out now, and I am going to give it another try. I can't stay away from the anime waifu's.

I keep wanting to try it, too. It's installed and waiting for when I taper off my current FFXIV binge :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

No, not at all

They're children's horror titles by a Christian dude who used his artistic talent of making weird-looking 3D stuff that made people feel uncomfortable to put out some black comedy horror games. Then he was so excited about developing games that he kept putting out more, as well as including lots of little secrets in them to give people something to latch onto if they want or otherwise just have an interesting and short simple time management horror game. Also he kept changing up lore stuff to gently caress with the people who kept trying to dissect the lore of his games which was pretty funny.

Ignoring the people associated with the fandom of his work, he's a cool and good guy who puts effort into stuff, has gone above and beyond when dealing with backlash to his work (mainly the weird fnaf rpg he made), and to be honest I'd probably compare his work and output to your own art but if you were making simple short horror games with your art and not just the art itself.

I legit had no clue about any of this, now I guess I'm guilty of the same thing as folks who judge undertale by its fandom. Didn't even know there were humour elements to it, obviously I'm pretty ignorant about it entirely. That owns, that's like, a cool relationship to have with your fans, having real expectations you know of to subvert -- that's cool and fun. Growing a fanbase like that too is really impressive, not to mention fostering and growing it with continued output. I'll not poo poo on it's name again. I don't usually do spooky games, I'm still upset about being startled by something in Sid's room during some cheapass Toy Story little kid's PC game/point-n-click-thing. I will however watch a 2 hour youtube video about the history of fnaf and it's creator next time I see someone I watch make such a vid. I also see why folks would sneer at the cage knock-off, made by some hacks cashing in on someone else's organic success.

My apologies to Mr. Freddie Nights for judging his art based on how annoying little kids are when choosing youtubers to watch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

I keep wanting to try it, too. It's installed and waiting for when I taper off my current FFXIV binge :v:

I am planning on getting back into FFXIV, maybe next week. I want to finish Resident Evil Village first.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

lmao I forgot I stopped playing P5R last May just before the final boss because I was trying to get 100% compendium and I could NOT find a Crystal Skull and I just booted up the game and found two in a row

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Subnautica base building really makes me want a Subnautica Minecraft Terraria Stardew co-op thing. Sub Zero especially made the land sections better. Throw in some space, which is just water without the blue and "down," and I can build from ocean depths to local moon to make the ultimate wizard tower.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Subnautica base building really makes me want a Subnautica Minecraft Terraria Stardew co-op thing. Sub Zero especially made the land sections better. Throw in some space, which is just water without the blue and "down," and I can build from ocean depths to local moon to make the ultimate wizard tower.
you just described no man's sky

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My one piece of advice going into this game is to play on Merciless. I know I always talk about liking hard games, but Merciless actually probably makes the game the easiest, but also its most fun. Merciless triples the damage that you do when you exploit an enemy's weakness or when you exploit a status ailment (attacking a sleeping enemy, casting wind on an enemy who has caught fire, etc). Combine this with what Wuggles said about baton passing and you end up doing these huge chains of attacks that totally wipe encounters. Now, enemies will also deal 3x damage for exploiting weaknesses against you, but there's tons of ways to prevent that - most importantly, the fact that almost every encounter you're going first because of Preemptive Strikes.

In base P5, Merciless cut EXP and money gain by half, but in Royal, you get 1.2x EXP and money, so now you'll have a lot more money to mess around with in the social parts of the game, more money to get all the best equipment, and more money to spend on messing around with fusion. It's a super fun way to play the game, I almost never use status ailments in JRPGs but here they're like, some of the best skills in the game because they let your party members who can't change Personas chain baton passes on enemies they wouldn't normally be able to hit with a weakness.

When I finally get around to trying P5R this has convinced me to play on Merciless, it sounds rad.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Yeah I’ll definitely be doing Merciless for NG+.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khanstant posted:

not to rankle any freddy heads itt - but isn't five nights at freddie's a really lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage, not-scary game mostly know for being associated with lovely, lazy, cheap, garbage youtubers who believe screaming is a form of entertainment? what's missing from this film that you think the proper FNAF movie will cover?

FirstAidKite posted:

No, not at all

Yeah, FNAF is a legitimate real world Cinderella story. Scott Cawthon is an inspiration, honestly legit one of my heroes. Such a humbling and cool story. He deserves all of his success 100%.

The guy spent years making mobile games that people just poo poo on and called crappy looking. He was on the verge of giving up his dream of making games, since he has children and has to support them, when he saw someone call his character animations "lovely Animatronics" and decided to lean into it as a style. He made a very low-budget horror game that was nevertheless groundbreaking and original, and the rest is history.

He's also released and pulled games, and refunded everybody who bought them, because he felt he didn't do a good enough job.

In a better world, Scott would be CEO of Blizzard.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
In PQ1, you can get married to koromaru. It's not a good game, but it does have that.

e: PQ2 is legit great though. It's still spinoff-y but the writing is an order of magnitude better, the mechanics are far less broken and the soundtrack is tremendous.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 20, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Q2 also has P3 FeMC...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgDvQ8blqWk

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When we gonna get PQ3 featuring the cast of Persona 1, 2, and If

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've finally given up on Nioh. In the end, the foe that defeated me was not a boss, or even a normal enemy. It was the mission select screen. As I stared at the map and tried to decide which mission I would tackle next, I came to the unfortunate realization that I just... didn't care. I didn't actually want to do any of them. Nothing in the story compelled me, and even the combat had started to feel stale and samey to me. There was nothing grabbing me. So for now, Nioh goes on the "Good, but Not For Me" pile. Maybe one day I'll revisit it.

If nothing else, it's made me realize that setting and aesthetics are almost as important to my enjoyment of a game as the actual video game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spergatory posted:

I've finally given up on Nioh. In the end, the foe that defeated me was not a boss, or even a normal enemy. It was the mission select screen. As I stared at the map and tried to decide which mission I would tackle next, I came to the unfortunate realization that I just... didn't care. I didn't actually want to do any of them. Nothing in the story compelled me, and even the combat had started to feel stale and samey to me. There was nothing grabbing me. So for now, Nioh goes on the "Good, but Not For Me" pile. Maybe one day I'll revisit it.

If nothing else, it's made me realize that setting and aesthetics are almost as important to my enjoyment of a game as the actual video game.

I had the same experience. I played both 1 and 2, both solo and co-op with a friend, and made good progress on both but never beat either because... yeah. It just feels very samey after awhile.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Biomutant really doesn't do a good job selling itself. The one video where someone tries to maybe explain the game seems confused himself and there's a lot of "oh we're hoping players think this or that is fun or maybe exploration will keep them going?"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's "like Breath of the Wild, with a combination of Devil May Cry, Batman Arkham, and Ratchet and Clank"

What's not to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I heard a little bit about Biomutant when I went inside the Gamestop to purchase Pokemon Snap and the only thing my brain absorbed was "it's got bullet time" because every other sentence was totally generic video game speak about customizable characters play the way you want open world exploration