Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ShadowHawk posted:

It's also the same CDC that advises everyone to overcook meat products

This week they are poised to recommend colorectal cancer screening for people forty‐five years of age or older, down from fifty.

Colorectal cancer is estimated to have killed three and a half thousand people under age fifty, total, in the U.S. in 2020. The cost:benefit of the guidance on one of these diseases is way out of proportion of the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sucks for the country that we're loving this up but good news for me, I'm gonna roll up to the closest hub and finally get my jab :blastu::coronatoot:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The vaccine rollout could be going faster but I'm a bit sick of the media genre of "Australian expat back from Britain rages against our slow rollout." The country you just came from got 100,000+ people killed, who gives a flying gently caress if they're vaccinating quickly now? Too late!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Tagra posted:

You can do it, little red line! You can surpass! :canada:

I sure as poo poo hope so, you've got fewer people in your entire country than we do in just my state. That said, that's an awesome trendline. Good work, guys.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We got a long way to go to catch up on second dose %

Tagra fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 19, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There always was going to become a point where in the rich countries the vaccination supply stopped being a concern and the infrastructure for vaccination dictated the pace. Frankly I’m staggered that America with it’s fractured system is keeping pace with the NHS, and you got to give props to whoever decided to go “screw the insurance companies, let’s do this for free at any location that will have us”

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

learnincurve posted:

There always was going to become a point where in the rich countries the vaccination supply stopped being a concern and the infrastructure for vaccination dictated the pace. Frankly I’m staggered that America with it’s fractured system is keeping pace with the NHS, and you got to give props to whoever decided to go “screw the insurance companies, let’s do this for free at any location that will have us”

we used America's might to buy up all the vaccines and yet. . . we struggle to get to 50% vaccinated

just do Dewine's lottery nationally, god it worked in Ohio it WILL work for the rest of the country!!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You are not doing as bad as you (American goons) think you are really, on the surface the 69.9% of first doses in the U.K. looks impressive but we are only vaccinating 18+, whereas the US figures are for the whole population. Then you got pockets of maga and the more backwards states dragging the rest down - A goon sat in New York for example can hold off worrying about if the uptake is low in Backwardsville Mississippi for a while yet.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

learnincurve posted:

I'm shocked that America's rollout has gone so well and appalled and embarrassed that our own has gone so badly.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Lolie posted:

I'm shocked that America's rollout has gone so well and appalled and embarrassed that our own has gone so badly.

Had our election gone different, or if there had been a full insurrection on January 6th, I have to imagine our vaccine rollout would have been a lot worse. The original plan was just "let's ship it to the states and wipe our hands of it, who cares". I work in logistics and those December/early January shipments were wild. We never got accurate counts of how many vaccines were going where, and generally the communication was just "Hey we heard X hospital is getting some vaccines this week. Keep your eyes open!"

If we had gotten the full Republican grift train involved I'd probably be buying vaccination appointments from scalpers on stubhub or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A Fancy Hat posted:

Had our election gone different, or if there had been a full insurrection on January 6th, I have to imagine our vaccine rollout would have been a lot worse. The original plan was just "let's ship it to the states and wipe our hands of it, who cares". I work in logistics and those December/early January shipments were wild. We never got accurate counts of how many vaccines were going where, and generally the communication was just "Hey we heard X hospital is getting some vaccines this week. Keep your eyes open!"

If we had gotten the full Republican grift train involved I'd probably be buying vaccination appointments from scalpers on stubhub or something.

I would have been vaccinated a month earlier if trump hadn’t hosed up that stuff so bad. My original first dose was scheduled for 1/24 but had to be cancelled the week prior because a bunch of shipments never showed up.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

A Fancy Hat posted:

The grift train in the UK has been utterly shocking, something like 20% of the money the government spent on test and trace, ppe and healthcare capacity expansion is just gone without a trace and even more resulted in stuff is like £150m for planeloads of PPE which was utterly useless.

The vaccine rollout seems to be the only part the Tories didn't get their hands in the trough for and it's also the only part of th response that's actually working.

£10m for ferries that didn't exist seems like such a quaint time now.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

More than 1.5m Covid-19 vaccines – one in every four distributed – are sitting unused in clinics across the country, prompting calls for a “major campaign” to tackle vaccine hesitancy and revive the country’s immunisation program.

As the prime minister, Scott Morrison, dismissed concerns about a new survey that found about 30% of people were unlikely to get a vaccine, the peak medical association called for an urgent national campaign aimed at boosting the take-up rate.

But Morrison, who is facing mounting pressure to set a timetable for reopening the country’s borders pegged to a successful vaccination program, said he was “not overly troubled” by a new report in the Nine papers about growing vaccine hesitancy.

“We’ve obviously got to work on it, but that also says around 70% of people want to have it,” Morrison told 2GB.

“So let’s just get on with them: there’s plenty of time to have the chat with the others who are a bit hesitant, that’s alright, it’s a free country.”

According to government data, about 600,000 doses of Covid-19 are sitting unused across state-run clinics, with the Northern Territory and Queensland using the least amount of available doses at 58% and 64% respectively.

Tasmania has the highest dose utilisation rate at 90%, while Victoria, New South Wales, Western Australia and South Australia are all sitting at around 80%.

For the commonwealth primary care network, the dose utilisation rate is at 75%, with almost 1m doses – predominantly the AstraZeneca jabs – going unused.

Chris Moy, the Australian Medical Association vice-president, said he believed that vaccine hesitancy was holding back the utilisation rate, along with recent changes made to the program that was requiring some recalibration among GP clinics.

He said there was some “lumpiness” in the program, which meant some areas were not getting the vaccinations needed, but across the board more needed to be done to revive a sense of “community spirit” over the program.

“There is definitely some vaccine hesitancy out there, and some people are cancelling their bookings,” Moy said.

“We are the victims of our own success, because we have no Covid and so people are not perceiving any risk,” he said.

He said there was also a “negative vibe” about the rollout and there needed to be a concerted effort made through a “major, clever” campaign to convince people to get vaccinated.

“We need to articulate the story of why you should be getting the vaccine. People need to understand that there is a tsunami of Covid out there and we are essentially sitting ducks, and the other big one is we are not going to open up until we get a significant amount of people vaccinated,” he said.

“And we need to get the community spirit back up, this is a community endeavour. I think people have been able to retreat to just looking after themselves, and I am really in despair at the moment about that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/may/19/more-than-15m-covid-vaccines-sitting-unused-in-clinics-across-australia

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

As much as I support the vaccine, I understand people that are hesitant (especially if they're worried about their job/being able to work for a few days). In the US they keep using celebrities to push it and I feel like that's the wrong way to go about it. If they used everyday folks, it'd help.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
News from plague island is looking good, they are getting more and more committed with the language when they say they think the vaccine works against the Indian variant we have, hospital admissions and deaths still going down same as before.

Of course this isn’t helpful for the majority of the unvaccinated world where it could mutate again, but after what happened to us with Kent and the really harsh and long lockdowns it will help with there not being actual riots.

I swear even my old mum was getting ready to throw a brick through John Lewis’ window to do some shopping if they cancelled opening, if they try and put us back in lockdown again the it’ll be NissanJute’s through every shop on the high street while mobility chariots roam the streets at night.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

As much as I support the vaccine, I understand people that are hesitant (especially if they're worried about their job/being able to work for a few days). In the US they keep using celebrities to push it and I feel like that's the wrong way to go about it. If they used everyday folks, it'd help.

It's largely the government's fault.

At the beginning of the year people wanted the vaccine ASAP and were angry that the rollout wasn't planned to start until March. The government tried to deflect that anger by saying that we didn't need to hurry because we essentially had no community transmission. The clusterfucks which have happened since then have only served to make people who may have been highly motivated initially more reluctant because trust in anything the government says about vaccination is now pretty much shattered.

Even before the rollout started it was known that community leaders would play a big role in encouraging minority groups to get vaccinated, but I haven't seen the kinds of campaigns I would have expected. My doctor's surgery has big posters about all sorts of vaccinations on its walls, but only an A4 notice it has printed itself to say it's offering the covid vaccine. It's possible those types of materials were never produced because it was assumed he covid vaccine would "sell" itself.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hey, so in my country they're phasing in "anyone 50+" (born 1971 or earlier) to be vaccinated this week and onward, since they are apparently happy with what they could provide to 60+ a few weeks back.

Does anyone know what the evidence is, to support going by age downwards, once we're past the 65-year-olds?

I'm assuming the aim here is to reduce hospitalizations & deaths, and that a 54-year-old is slightly more at risk than a 44-year-old? But I haven't really seen numbers for that. In other words, how is vaccinating by age bracket better than just saying "it's a free-for-all" like the U.S. did in April?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hey, so in my country they're phasing in "anyone 50+" (born 1971 or earlier) to be vaccinated this week and onward, since they are apparently happy with what they could provide to 60+ a few weeks back.

Does anyone know what the evidence is, to support going by age downwards, once we're past the 65-year-olds?

I'm assuming the aim here is to reduce hospitalizations & deaths, and that a 54-year-old is slightly more at risk than a 44-year-old? But I haven't really seen numbers for that. In other words, how is vaccinating by age bracket better than just saying "it's a free-for-all" like the U.S. did in April?

Those numbers exist. Just look at CFR by age bracket.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The U.K., just the U.K in general. We went age downwards (plus care workers and the vulnerable) We started vaccination right as the Kent variant was killing 2k people a day and if our numbers was a sound it would be a slide whistle going down.

The government has put all the daily stats from the start of the pandemic on the website. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

It's largely the government's fault.

At the beginning of the year people wanted the vaccine ASAP and were angry that the rollout wasn't planned to start until March. The government tried to deflect that anger by saying that we didn't need to hurry because we essentially had no community transmission. The clusterfucks which have happened since then have only served to make people who may have been highly motivated initially more reluctant because trust in anything the government says about vaccination is now pretty much shattered.

Even before the rollout started it was known that community leaders would play a big role in encouraging minority groups to get vaccinated, but I haven't seen the kinds of campaigns I would have expected. My doctor's surgery has big posters about all sorts of vaccinations on its walls, but only an A4 notice it has printed itself to say it's offering the covid vaccine. It's possible those types of materials were never produced because it was assumed he covid vaccine would "sell" itself.

The single biggest issue is the government dis-recommending AZ based on a negligible blood clotting risk. I know plenty of boomers who have no issue with getting vaccinated but don't want to get AZ.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Uk going to be pitting 7 different shots against each other in the first booster shot trials

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

afaik vaccinating the people who do the riskiest things first (work in hospitals, work in a restaurant, dumbass who goes to tons of parties) is probably better than doing it by age group since it reduces spread faster, but logistics and optics of that are too difficult so everyone goes by age bracket.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

The single biggest issue is the government dis-recommending AZ based on a negligible blood clotting risk. I know plenty of boomers who have no issue with getting vaccinated but don't want to get AZ.

I had my AZ the day after the recommendation changed. Had I known then that I would be offered Pfizer the following month, I may have waited but at the time there was no talk of that (I am a boomer).

I concerns me that I'm not seeing many social media posts by people saying they've been vaccinated, and the majority of people on my friends list are eligible due to their age, underlying conditions, or their employment.

ABC is reporting that there's been a decline in flu vaccinations, too. Around 46 percent of people aged 18-64 have received their flu vaccination, down from 72 percent at this time last year. About 65 percent of people 65 and over have received their flu vaccination compared to 89 percent last year. Health authorities were already expecting a bad flu season this year, so the big fall in vaccination rates is alarming.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 19, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol Holy poo poo there are still like 750 people dying every single day from this in America, that's insane

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Schools are gonna open in Mexico City June 9th. Assistance is optional. But we all know teachers and people who work on schools will be forced to attend. This is gonna be a huge mess.

and NO we didn't find a magical cure, neither the weather is killing the virus. Elections are coming and some people believe the parties are trying to win the vote of the unions. We really are not sure why are they making such idiotic decisions, considering that all kids will be out for vacations mid/end of June.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol Holy poo poo there are still like 750 people dying every single day from this in America, that's insane

A 9/11 every four days except since a building isn't dramatically exploding on TV no one loving cares, and half the goddamn country thinks that hundreds of thousands of Americans dying is a total non-issue/liberal plot

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Play posted:

A 9/11 every four days except since a building isn't dramatically exploding on TV no one loving cares, and half the goddamn country thinks that hundreds of thousands of Americans dying is a total non-issue/liberal plot

When you go to the airport you need to put all of your liquids in a little baggy. They all need to be in containers of 3 oz. or less. Then you wait in a big long line to be fondled by an agency specifically set up to fondle air travelers. You take your shoes off, belt off, and put your electronics in one tray and everything else in the other. They put you into a big glass tube where the person can see through your clothes and peep your wiener. You exit the tube and put on your shoes/belt etc. When you bought your ticket you paid an extra $10 to cover the cost of this service. All because 3,000 people were killed 20 years ago.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I get the point, but airport security did exist before 9/11. It was just a little less lovely and theatrical.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Skrill.exe posted:

When you go to the airport you need to put all of your liquids in a little baggy. They all need to be in containers of 3 oz. or less. Then you wait in a big long line to be fondled by an agency specifically set up to fondle air travelers. You take your shoes off, belt off, and put your electronics in one tray and everything else in the other. They put you into a big glass tube where the person can see through your clothes and peep your wiener. You exit the tube and put on your shoes/belt etc. When you bought your ticket you paid an extra $10 to cover the cost of this service. All because 3,000 people were killed 20 years ago.

Yep Osama bin laden won

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I dont mind taking my shoes off or whatever im not a libertarian weirdo.

Havent hijacked or blown up any planes since have they?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

hakimashou posted:

Sure. That's probably the point I was making.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hakimashou posted:

I doubt they ever intended to lol. Part of asymmetric warfare and terrorism is being unpredictable. They know that just the threat of it happening again is enough to scare the piss out of everyone and next time they attack it'll be something totally different.. Also we killed most of the people who were capable of organizing such attacks.

The point that poster was trying to make is that most people to this day take that threat more seriously than they do a virus which has killed hundreds of times more people and is an everyday reality, unlike the specter of terrorism.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Play posted:

I doubt they ever intended to lol. Part of asymmetric warfare and terrorism is being unpredictable. They know that just the threat of it happening again is enough to scare the piss out of everyone and next time they attack it'll be something totally different.. Also we killed most of the people who were capable of organizing such attacks.

The point that poster was trying to make is that most people to this day take that threat more seriously than they do a virus which has killed hundreds of times more people and is an everyday reality, unlike the specter of terrorism.

To be fair, that’s literally the intended goal of terrorism. It’s right there in the name in fact.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Spinz posted:

Yep Osama bin laden won

Absolutely this. We got owned by some failson and some planes.

Now we're getting owned by how fuckin' dumb we are, again! USA USA

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
the pandemic has had a much bigger effect on the day to day lives of a lot more people in the US than 9/11 did. Republicans are always going to be stupid garbage pieces of poo poo, but I don't remember a hundred million people isolating and working from home working from home for a year after 9/11 or wearing masks in public or making other really radical changes to how they lived their lives. We didn't throw bush out over it for that matter.

Nor indeed did we develop amazing antiterrorism vaccines and get them in the arms of a hundred million people in the space of a year either.

I guess when you compare all that to having to take your shoes off at the airport though...

Not for nothing but the same idiots who whine and moan about wearing a mask also get upset about having to go through airport security. Maybe its those people specifically who are just always the problem.

Also lol, if this is what bin laden winning looks liked I'd really hate to see what him losing would have.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 20, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Broadway opening 100% is going to be amazing for $$$

Tourists go to the US for a vaccination, drop by to watch Book of Mormon and Rent or whatever is going on

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hakimashou posted:

the pandemic has had a much bigger effect on the day to day lives of a lot more people in the US than 9/11 did

... and? What's your point? For most of them, their lives have only changed to the extent that they've been forced to change.

While it's had a bigger day to day effect, for most people anyways, the larger psychological effect was clearly 9/11. Not to mention the long term effect. It changed almost everything about this country and several others, despite being a tragedy hundreds of times less severe if you go by numbers. Hell 3,000 Americans dying led directly to a million Iraqis dying and trillions of dollars spent.

But that number dying daily from covid was just a blip in the news cycle, or a hoax depending on who you asked. Not a big deal, somehow.

I mean just look at you. All up in arms the second 9/11 is brought up lol

Play fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 20, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Play posted:

... and? What's your point? For most of them, their lives have only changed to the extent that they've been forced to change.

While it's had a bigger day to day effect, for most people anyways, the larger psychological effect was clearly 9/11. Not to mention the long term effect. It changed almost everything about this country and several others, despite being a tragedy hundreds of times less severe if you go by numbers. Hell 3,000 people dying led directly to a million Iraqis dying.

But that number dying daily from covid was just a blip in the news cycle, or a hoax depending on who you asked. Not a big deal, somehow.

I mean just look at you. All up in arms the second 9/11 is brought up lol

I don't think that 9/11 had a bigger psychological effect than covid or that it changed nearly as much here as covid changed. 9/11 didn't change almost everything about this country, it changed much less than covid has.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think 9/11 got people all riled up more than Covid is because 9/11 was caused by an identifiable enemy so people knew who to blame and boy America loves to have an enemy whether it be the Japanese and Germans in WW2, the communists in the cold war, or Al Qaeda in the 2000s.

A pandemic is basically a natural disaster like a flood or hurricane. It's just one of those things that happens and you can't really "blame" it on anyone. At least that's the way it's always been historically. There is actually some blame to go around for this one. The Chinese could have been more open about it's origin and the nature of the virus early on. The Trump admin, well we all know much they hosed up. But still I think for the most part people are sorta blase about this virus because it's just an "act of god" so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

911 had tremendous geopolitical implications that we're still feeling 20 years later. I'm not sure covid will have the same multigenerational impact.