Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fumblemouse posted:

But this is different because these powers are also sentient beings ( though that's not enough to count as 'people' apparently, even though he'd just had an argument with one) so obviously they had to die so Barry could feast on his own babies or something.

That's it just, Barry realized that deleting people from the timeline just isn't as satisfying as straight-up murder, his bloodlust demands the joy of life destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I haven't watched this season at all is it worth it?

Watching GG and Candice Patton on Instagram makes me feel like they both want out but don't want to cause any issues with the CW.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

McSpanky posted:

That's it just, Barry realized that deleting people from the timeline just isn't as satisfying as straight-up murder, his bloodlust demands the joy of life destroyed.

Speaking of timeline, it definitely seemed like Barry's plan involved the Strength Force lady to stay dead considering the whole thing was that they weren't going to change anything.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Watching GG and Candice Patton on Instagram makes me feel like they both want out but don't want to cause any issues with the CW.

Wouldn't be surprised if next season was the last seeing as 8 years is getting pretty long in the tooth for any show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of timeline, it definitely seemed like Barry's plan involved the Strength Force lady to stay dead considering the whole thing was that they weren't going to change anything.

Wouldn't be surprised if next season was the last seeing as 8 years is getting pretty long in the tooth for any show.

Especially for something that's not a sitcom or a soap opera.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I was legit annoyed when Alexa was revived, mostly because it means they'll keep saying her name and activating my Amazon Echo 😠

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jassa posted:

I was legit annoyed when Alexa was revived, mostly because it means they'll keep saying her name and activating my Amazon Echo 😠

I get that at christmas because i get bombarded with Google Home ads and it sets mine off. Like there was one that was "okay google, call mom" and mine would go "I don't have a phone number that contact".

And yea, the show is pretty long in the tooth. With The Speed Force now becoming just another evil speedster, eh. It's too bad they couldn't do something like borrow villains from another Marvel Hero, like have the Flash vs Clock King.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I get that at christmas because i get bombarded with Google Home ads and it sets mine off. Like there was one that was "okay google, call mom" and mine would go "I don't have a phone number that contact".

And yea, the show is pretty long in the tooth. With The Speed Force now becoming just another evil speedster, eh. It's too bad they couldn't do something like borrow villains from another Marvel Hero, like have the Flash vs Clock King.

Marvel?

Also, they did use some Firestorm villains back when that was relevant

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Last season gave me hope the show was turning around. Then this season happened.

:agreed:

Like, I had kind of given it a pass so far since the whole thing was bound to be a bumpy road after the start of the season/end of last season thing but this whole parent angle is awful. And usually Barry makes some dumb moves/calls but jfc Iris is killing me. Barry is right, Iris, just because she looks like Barry's mom and made breakfast one day doesn't make the Speed Force into a lady who's having a bad day that you can just reason with.

And you know what's the worst part is? Is that I know, I already know, that that's exactly how the season will end, with Barry and Iris giving some empowered speech about how the forces are stronger together than fighting and then "Nora" just gives up fighting and goes back to the ether.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xelkelvos posted:

Marvel?

Also, they did use some Firestorm villains back when that was relevant

Ooops, DC duh. People talk about The Flash having great villains, but they've already used and squandered pretty much all of them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

:agreed:

Like, I had kind of given it a pass so far since the whole thing was bound to be a bumpy road after the start of the season/end of last season thing but this whole parent angle is awful. And usually Barry makes some dumb moves/calls but jfc Iris is killing me. Barry is right, Iris, just because she looks like Barry's mom and made breakfast one day doesn't make the Speed Force into a lady who's having a bad day that you can just reason with.

And you know what's the worst part is? Is that I know, I already know, that that's exactly how the season will end, with Barry and Iris giving some empowered speech about how the forces are stronger together than fighting and then "Nora" just gives up fighting and goes back to the ether.

I predict that Nora gets blasted and Barry becomes the avatar of the Speed Force

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mooseontheloose posted:

No. Superman & Lois has been ok. The rest have all been bad.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

So does this mean that Thawne is Barry’s dad now? I mean he was responsible for the explosion that gave Barry his powers. And all the other metas in the city. I guess his most villainous act was skipping out on all that child support.

Lol this parent stuff is so stupid.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's interesting how all the CWVerse shows are having their cop characters quit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Joe is fuckin leavin?!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Wow everyone latched onto that parent/child/family analogy real fast, huh?

So I guess we're supposed to think 'Nora' killed everyone but Barry at the end of the episode. That's a shame. I'm certain they won't be back on their feet by the end of the next episode's first act.

Caitlin giving Alexa the brain communicator thing was good. Alexa being able to summon Fuerza with it 5 minutes later and then suddenly being able to perfectly control her powers? That was awful writing.

I think I'm starting to actively dislike this show. The only characters I still care about are Joe and Cecile, not that they're given much to work with these days. They should go start up their own detective agency with Brainy & Nia from Supergirl. Frost can come along too (though not Caitlin).

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

howe_sam posted:

It's interesting how all the CWVerse shows are having their cop characters quit.

It's definitely a good move in my opinion. This season has been kind of all over the place so far, but I thoroughly enjoyed Joe's justification for quitting the police and the build to it. This is a dude who's the rare "good cop", who sees his police force going down a dark path of violence and militarization, and has had enough of it.

I also really like the actors for all of the other forces, even if the whole "we're brothers and sisters now!" thing feels really weird and tacked on. They're still people who got powers, not ACTUALLY the forces in human form like the Speed Force is. I dunno if the writers keep forgetting this or if there's some aspect of what being a Force User actually means, but it's weird.

I mean I get that it's like "Oh Psyche has no family, here's his NEW family!" but please stop calling everybody brother and sister, and please do not call Barry and Iris "Dad and Mom".

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

A Fancy Hat posted:

They're still people who got powers, not ACTUALLY the forces in human form like the Speed Force is. I dunno if the writers keep forgetting this or if there's some aspect of what being a Force User actually means, but it's weird.

I think the difference is these raw, wild, uncontrollable forces merged with their human hosts. They *are* the forces, though they're also still human.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

jassa posted:

I think I'm starting to actively dislike this show.
This is definitely the worst it's ever been.

jassa posted:

I think the difference is these raw, wild, uncontrollable forces merged with their human hosts. They *are* the forces, though they're also still human.
It's not clear what that actually means though. It doesn't even seem to be consistent between the four of them. SpeedNora isn't Nora, but does have (some of?) her memories. Alexa and Fuerza are separate people in one body like Caitlin and Frost used to be. Bashir and Deon seem like regular metahumans with no additional personality. And all of them suddenly addressing each other as family is extremely weird.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

A Fancy Hat posted:

I mean I get that it's like "Oh Psyche has no family, here's his NEW family!" but please stop calling everybody brother and sister, and please do not call Barry and Iris "Dad and Mom".

It's really weird and they're not going to stop.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm assuming they're supposed to be like The Spectre maybe? Like they're still mostly human, but merged with the forces on a level that they're also kind of a new being that has its own will and personality.

I think this is mostly a side effect of taking a storyline directly from the comics but having to change up the origin of the forces and having to condense everything into a tighter window.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’m wondering if, at some point in this season’s development, there were actually six different characters; three new force entities like Nora, and a human champion chosen by each of them that would mirror Barry. Then at some point the budget got cut because of the pandemic and they couldn’t afford so many actors so they reworked it to just be three people, but with the family stuff still clumsily shoehorned in.

Well anyway, my impression of the episode went way up when Bashir took off his mask and it was Rich Dotcom under there. Ennis Esmer fits in perfectly with this show’s brand of camp nonsense so I hope he sticks around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed pretty hard at Nora's new makeup now that she's evil.

Also it was pretty goofy that Alexa was all "I also have a dark past" while Barry was standing right there with his backstory.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I don't understand what the point of the family stuff is. I can't wait for this plot to end.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fear tentacles. It's like someone wrote that Psych has to fight Fuerza to a standstill and they chose a superpower randomly from a hat.

We are approaching hate-watch territory, which I never did even when Arrow was at its worst.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

oh jay posted:

We are approaching hate-watch territory, which I never did even when Arrow was at its worst.

I never thought I’d be agreeing with you but I feel the same. I think the show has finally (ahem) run its course and needs to retire. It’s lost a lot of its magic and doesn’t feel the same anymore. :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea i kinda feel like i was with the second season of Batwoman, just don't really care about anything.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I feel like a bad episode of Batwoman still at least a few good scenes from Alice hamming it up.

I genuinely don't think there was a single scene in this last episode that was good. Bad characterization, low stakes, retreading old character beats, cheesy dialog, hokey action. Bad all around.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Yeah this season of the Flash suffers from the same issue I had with supergirl last season. Half of the show goes by and I feel exhausted because it feels like I just watched a lovely two hour movie.

I’m only watching now for the upcoming Diggle story

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This was also a heavy retread of earlier plots. how many times have we had a meta that is taking revenge on people that screwed them over in business?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The retread that killed me was Barry once again having a "bad idea", everyone telling him it was bad, and him doing it anyway.

It didn't ring true when he going to erase the forces, and it didn't work here with Frieza's* training.

*My phone decided she's named Frieza and I'm okay with that.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

oh jay posted:

Am now watching Flash episodes in a small window on my PC while doing other stuff, rather than on my TV stretched out on my sofa. It's remarkably bad writing at this point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

oh jay posted:

The retread that killed me was Barry once again having a "bad idea", everyone telling him it was bad, and him doing it anyway.

It didn't ring true when he going to erase the forces, and it didn't work here with Frieza's* training.

*My phone decided she's named Frieza and I'm okay with that.

They really need to give in and just turn the Arrowverse into Dragon Ball at this point.

Also this thread is really validating my decision to just stop watching all the Arrowverse shows Post-Crisis aside from Legends.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

nine-gear crow posted:

They really need to give in and just turn the Arrowverse into Dragon Ball at this point.

Also this thread is really validating my decision to just stop watching all the Arrowverse shows Post-Crisis aside from Legends.

Same.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Superman and Lois has been good so far.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

nine-gear crow posted:

you really, really, should be watching Superman and Lois though. It's lightyears ahead of anything else the arrowverse has ever done both in terms of cinematography and effects and stuff but also characters and writing, it's amazing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Superman and Lois has been good so far.

The Lord Bude posted:

you really, really, should be watching Superman and Lois though. It's lightyears ahead of anything else the arrowverse has ever done both in terms of cinematography and effects and stuff but also characters and writing, it's amazing.

I've been putting off watching Superman and Lois out of sheer laziness, but yeah I'm glad it's actually really good. I've been a fan of Tyler Hoechlin's Supes since he showed up on Supergirl. I'll get around to it eventually though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm unclear if Stargirl is technically an Arrowverse show, but it's also very good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I'm unclear if Stargirl is technically an Arrowverse show, but it's also very good.

Technically yes, but it's in a parallel universe no one knows about (yet), so it's not actually relevant. Also, it remains to be seen whether it'll still be good after moving from DC Universe to CW.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tiggum posted:

Technically yes, but it's in a parallel universe no one knows about (yet), so it's not actually relevant. Also, it remains to be seen whether it'll still be good after moving from DC Universe to CW.

Yeah, but the first season WAS good, and that's the relevant bit here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

It technically is in that it takes place in the multiverse as seen at the end of Crisis.