Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Koirhor posted:

What ever happened to that CX-5 diesel? Did I imagine that?

They made a few thousand of them for 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Koirhor posted:

What ever happened to that CX-5 diesel? Did I imagine that?

Came out, flopped hard, got axed.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35216165/mazda-cx-5-diesel-dead/

There are 63 listed on cars.com

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

EnergizerFellow posted:

There's a reason people half-jokingly say "Nice Mustang you got there..." when talking about BMW's modern go-fast coupes. And honestly, other than typical Ford build quality and interior materials/refinement, is there really that big of a difference between, say, a 2021 Mustang Mach1 w/ Elite Package and a BMW 4-series with various go-fast options?

As someone who has driven probably half a dozen different modern Mustangs, yes. Yes there is.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

EnergizerFellow posted:

There's a reason people half-jokingly say "Nice Mustang you got there..." when talking about BMW's modern go-fast coupes. And honestly, other than typical Ford build quality and interior materials/refinement, is there really that big of a difference between, say, a 2021 Mustang Mach1 w/ Elite Package and a BMW 4-series with various go-fast options?

You don’t have to walk into a Ford dealership to buy the BMW.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EnergizerFellow posted:

Has BMW's interior cost-cutting gotten to the point where the Mustang's is better yet?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

EnergizerFellow posted:

But it was the Mustang that took on a distinctly more European design and feel in the newest generation, aping BMW and friends, much to the chagrin of a lot of diehard Mustang oldsters

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Guinness posted:

But it was the Mustang that took on a distinctly more European design and feel in the newest generation, aping BMW and friends, much to the chagrin of a lot of diehard Mustang oldsters

it did? I thought it was a throwback to the old era of muscle cars, at least more than the last couple generations where they lost the distinctive stub nose. I was never a mustang guy tho

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

I think that first picture just has to be a terrible angle, right?

It's that long, even Audi-esque, front overhang that fucks up the proportions. What is up with that

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that sucks...the small overhang is one of the main features of how they are supposed to look

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Previa_fun posted:

Still waiting on that Skyactiv-X to come to the US lol

It's so underwhelming in its current form - economy is a bit better than the 2.5 but it's definitely slower and any savings are largely negated by its need for Premium fuel. Annoyingly Mazda decided to tie the 360 camera to the Skayactiv-X model here (heated steering wheel too but who cares about that)

Powershift posted:

Came out, flopped hard, got axed.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35216165/mazda-cx-5-diesel-dead/

There are 63 listed on cars.com

The diesel barely makes sense in its more economical and powerful international version let alone the crippled US version.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Heating steering wheel is one of my most unexpectedly liked features, haha.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

got off on a technicality posted:

It's that long, even Audi-esque, front overhang that fucks up the proportions. What is up with that

Moar front DF without resorting to ducting out the hood

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yahoo might have broken the embargo on the Lighting, listing the base price at $39,974 before tax credits and posting these pictures.

Powershift posted:

Yahoo pulled the article. It's almost definitely legit.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Residency Evil posted:

Has BMW's interior cost-cutting gotten to the point where the Mustang's is better yet?

No, but Ford's senior leadership seems to have had a Come to Jesus moment regarding quality control with their arguably failed recent product launches, including the Explorer and Aviator. I have some cautious optimism for new Ford platforms going forward, but we'll see.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Yahoo might have broken the embargo on the Lighting, listing the base price at $39,974 before tax credits and posting these pictures.

Holy poo poo they gave it a frunk. Brilliant.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

EnergizerFellow posted:

No, but Ford's senior leadership seems to have had a Come to Jesus moment regarding quality control with their arguably failed recent product launches, including the Explorer and Aviator. I have some cautious optimism for new Ford platforms going forward, but we'll see.

I hope they get their poo poo together. I bought 3 Ford Explorers from the last gen and all were great cars. We had a 2020 loaner and we weren’t going to spend the money on one of those.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

that frunk is amazing(ly huge), pretty awesome

Do car internals change year to year if there's no refresh, like faster chips, better parts? Or is it just colors and options?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It is so loving cool.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MeruFM posted:

Do car internals change year to year if there's no refresh, like faster chips, better parts? Or is it just colors and options?

Some companies(chrysler, tesla) change poo poo all willy nilly. Most companies save big changes for model year changeovers for easier parts tracking. Occasionally stuff will change a lot mid-year. 99 powerstroke F-250s and 99.5 powerstroke f-250s have a bunch of engine differences, like incompatible injectors for example.

It's all a crap shoot.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Some companies(chrysler, tesla) change poo poo all willy nilly. Most companies save big changes for model year changeovers for easier parts tracking. Occasionally stuff will change a lot mid-year. 99 powerstroke F-250s and 99.5 powerstroke f-250s have a bunch of engine differences, like incompatible injectors for example.

It's all a crap shoot.

There's a tech upgrade where the 99.5+s used sequenced injections to cut smoke/emissions while increasing efficiency and power.
02-03 CA models were catalyst equipped too.

That same basic 1999 cab/frame design ran till 2016 or so. major front end update on the 4x4 in 05.5 otherwise, not much changes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I’m digging this F-150 Lightning announcement

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 20, 2021

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Looking at the base MSRP it'd appear to be a lot more affordable than I expected but it looks like the price ramps quickly with the XLT being $55k, still pretty impressive overall. Disappointed to see its crew crab 5.5' box only though.

I can't get excited for much of anything new right now though, I've got 2 vehicles I'd like to replace but everything I'd be interested in is both out of stock locally and being marked up significantly elsewhere. Car market sucks so bad right now.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 20, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
MEGA

POWER

FRUNK

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I think there’s something weird about the angle of those M8 shots, the overhang doesn’t stand out as much IRL. Long, wide and low is how the 8 looks.

Can’t buy F150’s here but I’m pretty impressed with the Lightning, a heap of neat features. Is this the first time a manufacturer has officially used the term frunk too?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I wonder who will buy the electric f150, especially at first. Do we think fleet sales will be good?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Residency Evil posted:

I wonder who will buy the electric f150, especially at first. Do we think fleet sales will be good?

That frunk has me positively erect, so possibly me.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Won't you take me to . . .

Frunkytown

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

if my colleagues are any indication a bunch of people who never would have considered owning a truck before

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MeruFM posted:

There are usually small changes here and there, but only with parts that are considered 'interchangeable.' Suppliers quote parts at a particular EAU and the more they run the cheaper they are - they'll make 100,000 of a mediocre part before they make 50,000 of a mediocre part and 50,000 of a better one.

Very few of those changes are going to be to imrpove the product from a customer perspective. They will be things that have more payoff for the manufacturer - easier to put together or make, lower piece cost, safer, less likely to cause a failure down the line.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if my colleagues are any indication a bunch of people who never would have considered owning a truck before

great, even more pedestrian-hostile vehicles on the road being driven by people who don't need them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's funny is my first reaction was that "Wow, that frunk makes the thing a TON more usable and wouldn't have to worry about gas prices." That thought was very fleeting though since the size of the vehicles would make them pretty useless to me. Like, I can't put an EV in my garage to charge it if it won't actually fit in my garage.

Scale it down 25% and it would be a lot more appealing, but I'm sure the range would suffer.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

bull3964 posted:

What's funny is my first reaction was that "Wow, that frunk makes the thing a TON more usable and wouldn't have to worry about gas prices." That thought was very fleeting though since the size of the vehicles would make them pretty useless to me. Like, I can't put an EV in my garage to charge it if it won't actually fit in my garage.

Scale it down 25% and it would be a lot more appealing, but I'm sure the range would suffer.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Ranger EV was in the pipeline. Probably would weigh less to keep the range reasonable.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Really throws me off for it to be a lightning but also a four door

But then again the e-mustang doesn't look like a mustang

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Secret Machine posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a Ranger EV was in the pipeline. Probably would weigh less to keep the range reasonable.

That's something I might actually consider if it was 30kish for a reasonably well equipped model and it wasn't huge.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I too would be keen on a ~230 mile EV Ranger for a similar cost

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I hope that there's a regular cab Short box Lightning for 2023/24. Ideally with a factory option like the Hellcrate that comes with slicks and skinnies.
With 775ftlbs it should be able to pop a wheelie off the line.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

CornHolio posted:

That's something I might actually consider if it was 30kish for a reasonably well equipped model and it wasn't huge.

Same, I do highway/bridge construction inspection so I would like decent ground clearance but would prefer something smaller for maneuvering around Jersey barriers and construction entrances. But part of me once to convince my partner the Lightning is a great investment cause we would get a built-in powerwall as well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Now that I think about it, the vein diagram of "Goes to Home Depot twice a year/wants to be able to pick up a washer off the side of the road," "Want to show they care about the environment," and "Low Self Esteem" is enormous.

They'll sell loads of them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

I hope that there's a regular cab Short box Lightning for 2023/24. Ideally with a factory option like the Hellcrate that comes with slicks and skinnies.
With 775ftlbs it should be able to pop a wheelie off the line.

Call it the lightning rod.

I was really in to mini trucks and wanted this thing so god drat bad when it was shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, just extend the roof all the way to the back, add a hatch, make it a 4-door and add a second row of seats.

Perfect.