Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lmao at making a 13 minute video out of 'here's a dude they just made and we don't know anything about him really.' That guy looks cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Heck yeah going to conquer the Warp with a Rasputin looking fella.

Edit: For people who missed it.

orangelex44 posted:

So apparently CA's being slow on it's own release, but some YouTubers got early access to information...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySg033PfnlU

New Kislev LL. Brand new for the game, apparently - it's the priest dude from the trailer.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 19, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

You could totally do a Tomb King Variant in Cathay who has access to the Terracotta warriors but is still the same mechanically as the others.

Basically Cathayan Tomb King Necromancer dude.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/AndyWordyHall/status/1395029660786991108
Notable because, sure enough, Adam Troke works at GW which pretty much confirms they're ultimately the ones behind all the new stuff.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 19, 2021

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mordja posted:

Notable because, sure enough, Adam Troke works at GW which pretty much confirms they're ultimately the ones behind all the new stuff.
Wait, there were actually weirdos who thought CA was going rogue with this? GW showed some concept art teasers for Kislev miniatures about a year ago.
Though funnily enough I recall some folks bitching that the art didn't look grimdark enough back then too.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I wonder if this means Kislev won’t have a melee powerhouse as a starting legendary lord. Katarina gets the “Decent melee combatant” description, which is always used as a somewhat backhanded compliment and not for LLs who are both casters and melee asskickers like Archaon, Durthu, Malekith, Settra, and most vampires. Maybe this wiry dude is tougher than he looks, what with him being inspired by Rasputin.

Depending how far south and west the new map goes, the edge of the map could easily provide representation for the Empire, Dwarfs, Vampire Counts, Greenskins, and maybe even Tomb Kings. The cursed city of Praag has a significant vampire presence. I don’t think it’s cursed status has any reflection in Mortal Empires yet, but maybe they could give it to the Vampire Counts in game 3.

If Ind is on the map, it will probably start heavily colonized when the game comes out, though by whom is up in the air. Lokhir Felheart had some famous exploits there, so it could be a new starting position for him in Mortal Empires 2. Maybe Brettonia and Vampire Coast will get represented there for a lack of other places to put them. High Elves have a couple of island colonies to the south and in the far east.

Skaven could be represented any number of places. The map could include Hell Pit. Nippon could be a Mortal Empires 2 starting location for Eshin. The Hinterlands of Khuresh are said to be inhabited by mysterious evil snake dudes, but they also have a Lost City of the Old Ones, which is a good place to have Lizardmen. I just learned the snake dudes have models in Blood Bowl, which means they have more official models than Cathay.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Orthodox bear church rasputin lol

And we thought we wouldn't get a 60 year old British man's idea of Russia

Genuinely can't wait for cathay

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mordja posted:

https://twitter.com/AndyWordyHall/status/1395029660786991108
He doesnt have a hat on so he is obviously not a Patriarch.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Raygereio posted:

Wait, there were actually weirdos who thought CA was going rogue with this? GW showed some concept art teasers for Kislev miniatures about a year ago.
Though funnily enough I recall some folks bitching that the art didn't look grimdark enough back then too.

I get the impression that the design choices for kislev in wh3 are indicative of what GWs design philosophy for the Old World will look like, higher fantasy representation of the the WHFB rosters. I'm fine with that personally, a pull back away from the grimdark is timely. So long as they don't overdesign like they have for so much of the AOS releases. I like many of the chaos models for AOS though and I would imagine AOS and Old World will probably share those rosters more or less.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Raygereio posted:

GW literally went loud with "WE'RE COLLABING" in their tie in article to the TWW3 announcement trailer and like every scant piece of Old World concept art they throw out but nerds are convinced there's some grand conspiracy going on.

Similarly a lot of dorks seem convinced Old World is replacing AoS which is just lol.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you guys ever NOT take the +10% campaign movement skill at level 2?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Nope.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

They really should just buff all lord movement by 10% and replace the talent with something else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jay Rust posted:

gotta have it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, between the way AI armies can dance just out of your movement range and the way harder difficulties often force you to protect huge territories with just one army, I consider any skills that increase campaign movement to be some of the most important ones to take by your generals.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Never. It should be replaced, imo, because its just entirely mandatory.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

sometimes I’ll prioritize spells or battle skills if I know the enemy is coming at me for the first ten turns.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I don't like the blue line in general but if you're playing on higher difficulty or as an underdog faction then lightning strike is pretty much mandatory. I wish they would just do away blueline and mix the skills in elsewhere then up the amount of points you get.

I have a mod that gives +2 points for the first 10 levels for lords, you end up with the same amount of points overall but more at the beginning. It makes the early game way more enjoyable.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't like the blue line in general but if you're playing on higher difficulty or as an underdog faction then lightning strike is pretty much mandatory. I wish they would just do away blueline and mix the skills in elsewhere then up the amount of points you get.

I have a mod that gives +2 points for the first 10 levels for lords, you end up with the same amount of points overall but more at the beginning. It makes the early game way more enjoyable.
At least when the blue skills leading up to lightning strike are worthwhile it doesn't feel like a waste. +ambush on skaven, +post-battle captives on DE, and +1 vampire hero on the vampire counts are all good too.

That said, my later lords often don't need lightning strike as badly because they don't tend to be quite as doomstack-y as my starting LL armies, and don't often need to go fight a ton of enemies at once.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't like katarinas hat

I don't mind her new appearance, but to be honest I do actually prefer her old look in the artwork.

e: I wonder if Bear Rasputin is going to be the one resident in Kislev proper, because based on most of the promotional material that's come out so far I suspect Katarin might be starting outside Kislev, possibly framed as leading an expedition against the forces of Chaos (which is what she seems to be doing).

I wonder if they're going to be portrayed as close allies or possible rivals, again in the old fluff IIRC Katarin, despite her father having been high priest of the cult of Ursun (which might not really be a thing anymore as it's been kind of upgraded into an expy of the Russian Orthodox Church), is not on great terms with the cult of Ursun due to her centralizing tendencies and being head of the order of the Ice Witches (might have been some more there as well).

e2: Watching the video that was linked and it was mentioned that his color scheme and iconography somewhat resembles the "Kislev Rebels" faction from Warhammers I and II. So maybe he is an enemy of Katarin and leads a religiously motivated rebellion against her in her absence. That's pure speculation.

e3: Also just learned/noticed from that video. The text of the song from the first trailer is from the WFRP Kislev source book.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 19, 2021

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Special circumstances. Mostly when I know there's an invasion (e.g. the drizzle of chaos) and I'm only going to keep this stack around long enough to send the enemy packing. It's often cheaper to recruit a half-stack (or even a full stack) than rebuild.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Randarkman posted:

I don't mind her new appearance, but to be honest I do actually prefer her old look in the artwork.

Her new dress and stuff is fine but I absolutely preferred her hair flowing like that. I hope someone saves us via mods.

Also I am sad her faction flag isn't the actual Kislev flag that's in now.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Eimi posted:

Also I am sad her faction flag isn't the actual Kislev flag that's in now.

I think bear rampant against a maroon background is Tzar Boris's coat of arms actually, so that might show up in the future in whichever way he makes it into the game. Katarin seems to go for blue.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

... nah, I like this better. I like the color shift from purple to blue, I like the glowing eyes, I think the fancy hat and cloak are better designed (what the hell is that ugly green face?). I think the change is makeup is more interesting too; it's much more unique than just dark eyeshadow with heavy lipstick. As for the hair, sure it's nice to let it hang loose but have you considered that her ears were cold? I think it's much better for everyone if Katarin's ears are toasty to keep her from getting pissed off. Maybe in the old wartorn-and-unhappy Kislev it was fine, but in our new icey-but-with-happy-bears Kislev she needs fashionable and functional headwear. We can't all be the Empire with their not-freezing temperatures!

All in all though it's a reasonably faithful recreation IMO. Changes were made, yes, but they fit modern sensibilities a bit better and (glowing bits aside) I could much more easily envision a real person actually wearing the new stuff. Nobody would wear the old outfit (again, what the hell is with that face?).

Randarkman posted:

I wonder if they're going to be portrayed as close allies or possible rivals, again the old fluff IIRC Katarin, despite her father having been high priest of the cult of Ursun (which might not really be a thing anymore as it's been kind of upgraded into an expy of the Russian Orthodox Church), Katarin is not on great terms with them due to her centralizing tendencies and being head of the order of the Ice Witches (might have been some more there as well).

Apparently a GW employee said on Twitter that Katarin and Kostaltyn emphatically do not get along. So sayeth Reddit anyway, I didn't follow the trail all the way to verify that. Whether that means they're openly at war, or if it's more akin to the Empire's cat-herding, is still an open question.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Apparently a GW employee said on Twitter that Katarin and Kostaltyn emphatically do not get along. So sayeth Reddit anyway, I didn't follow the trail all the way to verify that. Whether that means they're openly at war, or if it's more akin to the Empire's cat-herding, is still an open question.

Well, that's interesting I'm happy to say.

e: This is the source I think. GW guy is the lead writer for the Total Warhammer games

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 20, 2021

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
She looks somewhat less regal in the new design, like they are emphasing her witchiness more.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Internet seems to think we get Kislev unit roster tomorrow.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Baudolino posted:

She looks somewhat less regal in the new design, like they are emphasing her witchiness more.

To be fair, we actually don't know if she's the ruler or not. TW:WH's timeline is fuzzy at the best of times, but it's generally accepted that the games start a decade or two prior to the end times - which is before Boris died and Katarin took over in the official timeline. It can be assumed that Boris is at least missing in this one, because otherwise he'd be a on-release LL, but there's a good chance that even Katarin doesn't know if she's the sovereign because Boris isn't confirmed dead.

Although, as a side note, I would love it if Boris was suddenly revealed as the third starting Kislev LL and everyone's assumptions go up in smoke.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
listening to loremaster of sotek's video on the guy it sounds like they are setting up this guy to be the leader of the arch-conservative reactionaries against katarin who is basically the platonic ideal of a liberal reformist monarch

they both agree that chaos is bad and needs to be dealt with but aside from that they have very different ideas about how Kislevite society should be organized

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm gonna do some wild speculation for Immortal Empires:

I'm betting a wider distribution of AI factions in the east. Placeholders for Ogres and Chorfs, obviously, but also some random TK, Vamp Coast, Vamp Counts, Lizardmen, Elven, and Norsca factions to round stuff out.

Given that we have no loving clue about what the WH3 map looks like, let alone Immortal Empires, it's hard to say what would be where. I can't imagine they wouldn't include new magical forests for the murder hippies to jump to, and there will almost certainly be Norscan tribes north of the Bastion for Cathay to deal with. I can imagine they want to avoid the problem they initially had in ME, where, for example,, Malekith was basically fighting only Dark Elves for 100 turns (prior to TK and Tretch showing up).

I'm loving starving for Cathay info, though. gently caress me up with that poo poo.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

listening to loremaster of sotek's video on the guy it sounds like they are setting up this guy to be the leader of the arch-conservative reactionaries against katarin who is basically the platonic ideal of a liberal reformist monarch

they both agree that chaos is bad and needs to be dealt with but aside from that they have very different ideas about how Kislevite society should be organized

Is she though? Because while the old fluff did make her out to be a reformer it was more in the Peter the Great sense in that the reforms also served the ultimate purpose of centralizing power around the person of the monarch and ruthlessly persecuting opposition. Like Katarin was a reformer, but also a ruthless, power-hungry autocrat, putting that up against an arch-conservative is a bit more interesting than just making her a progressive or whatever.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
It makes sense that they wouldn't be best friends just from a gameplay point of view so the campaign doesn't play out exactly the same every time and the player can choose to try to overcome their differences and face chaos together or quickly conquer them and make a solo stand.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orangelex44 posted:

To be fair, we actually don't know if she's the ruler or not. TW:WH's timeline is fuzzy at the best of times, but it's generally accepted that the games start a decade or two prior to the end times - which is before Boris died and Katarin took over in the official timeline. It can be assumed that Boris is at least missing in this one, because otherwise he'd be a on-release LL, but there's a good chance that even Katarin doesn't know if she's the sovereign because Boris isn't confirmed dead.

Although, as a side note, I would love it if Boris was suddenly revealed as the third starting Kislev LL and everyone's assumptions go up in smoke.

Going from everything in the game she is already in charge. The substitute Kislev faction leader makes repeated references to Katarina and the description of the unique building in the capital of Kislev references renovations she made to the palace.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Randarkman posted:

Is she though? Because while the old fluff did make her out to be a reformer it was more in the Peter the Great sense in that the reforms also served the ultimate purpose of centralizing power around the person of the monarch and ruthlessly persecuting opposition. Like Katarin was a reformer, but also a ruthless, power-hungry autocrat, putting that up against an arch-conservative is a bit more interesting than just making her a progressive or whatever.

I suppose I was a bit liberal with the word "liberal" there (heh), blame Mike Duncan for forever associating the words "liberal" and "reformer" in my mind

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
lol that people in this thread can call people on other forums grogs

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

orangelex44 posted:

Boris as the secret LL but he can fall to any of the four chaos gods.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

kingturnip posted:

lol that people in this thread can call people on other forums grogs

Absolutely every grognard in the world has someone they can point to and say, "Oh, no, those guys are the real freaks". You'd think there would have to be some ur-grog somewhere, but there isn't, it just goes on forever.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Vagabong posted:

Boris as the secret LL but he can fall to any of the four chaos gods.

This would actually be a really interesting mechanic. Imagine if the Chaos factions could "corrupt" Order factions to the point that they joined Chaos. Would help clean up the order tide problem while also making the player much more wary about leaving that Flanders-sized border unguarded cause their best bud who would never betray them controls the other side...

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kazzah posted:

Absolutely every grognard in the world has someone they can point to and say, "Oh, no, those guys are the real freaks". You'd think there would have to be some ur-grog somewhere, but there isn't, it just goes on forever.

I'm pretty sure everyone is a grog about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
np