Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
It’s a bad idea because oops frank that guy literally pushed your foot and you fell to your death,then you exploded and took out an orphanage,dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Frank didn't hear either of those things he's burning rubber in his cool rear end van.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It fires rocket propelled brass knuckles.

It was a companion piece to the gun that shoots flick knives.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

really stretching the “no kill” thing there you two.

i see a few flaws here....

I had no idea Hush had this sort of historic predecessor.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

It’s a bad idea because oops frank that guy literally pushed your foot and you fell to your death,then you exploded and took out an orphanage,dick.

Joke's on you! He's holding a rope, he's going to explode right there. :smug:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I see a few flaws here....

Wow, Hush is older than I thought.

Edit: Augh! Beaten

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

seriously guy? Puns? At a time like this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought that comic new off the spinner rack.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

8 year old me thought Waverider and Monarch were so cool. Then Armageddon 2001 ended and I never wanted to read another comic with them in it again. I still think they both have good character designs. I've said it before but that was the first comic I ever read that disappointed me. As a kid I pretty much universally loved everything because I hadn't developed any real taste. And then Hawk was Monarch and everything changed.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

need i say more? Awful.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Captain No-Fisting is my favorite hero.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Push El Burrito posted:

Holy poo poo,good eye.
I like guy gardners mega man boots.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy Gardner trying to be Gardener Guy using a trowel there.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

quote:

The overrated

I'm the goofy looking T-rex trophy popping in to cover up part of the title, throw off the composition as a whole, and being all "a-hyuck, hey guys what's going on here?"

Seriously, this is supposed to be an epic, pivotal moment, and then you have... well, that.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Also, are Bane's gloves spray painted on? Did the inker forget to do the line art there?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember guys bitching that Bane didn't look like that inside the comic.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Superman's straight up trying to squash that guy in the purple shirt.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
That Kelley Jones cover is a masterpiece and you are all crazy. It is the cover and not the interior so of course it is going to look different. The cover is visceral as gently caress. Here is a hulking monster of Bane, pure muscle, and he has Batman over his knee and ready to snap him like a twig. If that image doesn't get you hyped up for what is inside the comic there might be something wrong with you.
The T-Rex and the coin are there to show you that this in the Batcave - they are visual cues for the reader. Not only is Bane going to break the Batman but he is going to do it in the one place Batman should be safe - in his own sanctuary.
Bane is looking directly at you, the reader, and even though he has a mask on the look says "who is going to stop me from fulfilling my next move?
The cover is great, does a great service to the comic to get someone hyped up for what is inside and you are all wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Madkal posted:

That Kelley Jones cover is a masterpiece and you are all crazy. It is the cover and not the interior so of course it is going to look different. The cover is visceral as gently caress. Here is a hulking monster of Bane, pure muscle, and he has Batman over his knee and ready to snap him like a twig. If that image doesn't get you hyped up for what is inside the comic there might be something wrong with you.
The T-Rex and the coin are there to show you that this in the Batcave - they are visual cues for the reader. Not only is Bane going to break the Batman but he is going to do it in the one place Batman should be safe - in his own sanctuary.
Bane is looking directly at you, the reader, and even though he has a mask on the look says "who is going to stop me from fulfilling my next move?
The cover is great, does a great service to the comic to get someone hyped up for what is inside and you are all wrong.

Co-signing this.

But the spray painted gloves are weird. I owned a bunch of Nightfall comics, including this one, and I never noticed those until now.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Kelley jones is like bat-marmite (i like marmite) but that’s just not a good cover,ESPECIALLY one that’s been regurgitated so goddamn much.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 20, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

That's Gangbuster. Weird thing about the character is that for a short time Superman was running around in his costume pretending to be him and beating the absolute poo poo out of criminals.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Madkal posted:

Agree with you 99% but you don't hit a line drawing your eye towards Bane on the dinosaur until its shoulder- his head is all horizontal lines clashing against vertical lines so it's like Bane breaks Batman AND there's a motherfucking dinosaur?

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

I wonder how much different colouring would do for that. Like if the coin and T-Rex were more unified with the cave background.

Also the lameass rim lighting-ish effect, but that's just 90s digital colouring.

I still think it's a pretty rad cover overall.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perfection.

https://twitter.com/Bob_Layton/status/1395000042629570563?s=20

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Madkal posted:

I am not a comic-book reader so maybe it's just a lack of experience, but to be honest I find it hard to parse what's going on visually because Bane's anatomy is so ludicrous. Like, if I didn't know ahead of time that there's supposed to be some historical comic-book moment where Bane breaks Batman's back, I would not have figured that out just from the image because it is impossible for me to tell what this lump of a person is supposed to be doing in this pose. And even knowing ahead of time, it took me like a solid 20 seconds of puzzling it out. To be frank, the visual design of the cover seems pretty awful to me.

And that's not even mentioning the dinosaur, which naturally was the first thing to catch my eye.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
That's, uh, some very flexible and form-fitting metal armour, even by comic art standards.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, that's how Iron Man was for a long time. The red pieces of armour were the ones he put on and the gold (or white in this case) were extremely flexible sleeve-like sheets of metal that connected, and were housed within, the red pieces.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pour one out Kentaro Miura, mangaka for Berserk, has died of heart complications. :smith:

https://twitter.com/berserk_project/status/1395212918040391680

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
Used to have an old AV from Berserk art. Hearing this and of Paul Mooney passing away this week is sad. I really liked their respective art.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Agree with you 99% but you don't hit a line drawing your eye towards Bane on the dinosaur until its shoulder- his head is all horizontal lines clashing against vertical lines so it's like Bane breaks Batman AND there's a motherfucking dinosaur?

40Inch posted:

I wonder how much different colouring would do for that. Like if the coin and T-Rex were more unified with the cave background.

Clarste posted:

And that's not even mentioning the dinosaur, which naturally was the first thing to catch my eye.

Yeah, y'all summed my point up better. I know why having the t-rex is thematically important, it's just terribly rendered from a color/composition standpoint.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I honestly don't know if the art would be better or worse if that was a competent T-Rex and not some generic 50s sci-fi lizard. Like it's a drawing of a robot and it still somehow looks like stop motion. But hey at least it doesn't unbalance the piece because there's a giant brown smudge on the other side that's the big penny.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I didn't notice the dinosaur until you guys talked about it because I was so fixated on Bane's three foot long neck / collarbone arrangement.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 21, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Something about that cover really struck a spinal cord with people.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

stratdax posted:

I didn't notice the dinosaur until you guys talked about it because I was so fixated on Bane's three foot long neck / collarbone arrangement.

Yeah if you focus on it the T-Rex is super goofy, but so is the hulking mass of Bane, and that is what draws my eye.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Kentaro Miura passed away and there's been a lot of highlighting of some of the awesome work he did over his career on Berserk:
https://twitter.com/chiweethegod/status/1395508026887467012

https://twitter.com/HeresyL0ud/status/1395433967575310338

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah if you focus on it the T-Rex is super goofy, but so is the hulking mass of Bane, and that is what draws my eye.

The colorist really didn’t do Jones any favors. I bet that cover looks better in black and white.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Done on my phone

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can a poster for a TV show qualify as bad comic art? Because... yikes.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1395786825428578311

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He looks like an awkward and annoying idiot character who has been given superpowers. Is that the intent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Screech got the speed force?