Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also a funny thought just occurred to me which was like, how would the Asari have even known it was possible to crossbreed with other species? As far as I know they are the only species in the setting that can do that, right? Like you have other alien romance options but nothing about it is implied to be able to produce children. So clearly they have that "I wonder if I can gently caress it" instinct in common with humans when it comes to making first contact.

They reproduce by telepathy or whatever, so some Asari just thought too hard about a turian they thought was cute and here we are.

a cyborg mug posted:

Liara speaks about this in 1. She says the Asari ”no longer” commonly form unions with their own species. Sounds a lot like they reproduced amongst themselves until they found other species to bone and then the culture started to change until it eventually became looked down upon. Because the father species leaves something of themselves in the offspring, they think reproducing with another Asari results in nothing being gained.

She says exactly that. Shepard can ask about Asari-Asari pairs and she says “what did you think we did before we met other races, dumbass?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Doctor Nutt posted:

You can't directly afaict but you can load up your character in me1 and grab the face code anytime, then when you start ME2 use the face code rather than directly import your Shepard and tweak to your liking.

What does this have to do with anything? I'm mid ME1 and am sick of Femshep's blush cheeks... the lighting in char creation was bad and she looks ridiculous.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fuzz posted:

What does this have to do with anything? I'm mid ME1 and am sick of Femshep's blush cheeks... the lighting in char creation was bad and she looks ridiculous.

Oh sorry I misread your post and didn't realize you meant mid-game rather than while importing from one game to the next.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In gibbed’s original editor you could create a new save with the face you want and Face/Off the data onto your old save but I don’t know if the new LE editor has that included.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I figured at some point in their history someone had accidentally triggered their asexual reproduction with a pet or something.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Velius posted:

I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle how dumb Kai Leng is. Are there any mods to fix him by making him an explicit joke instead of just an implicit one?

Yes, it's in the base game, it's the biotic/combat specialty.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Wow 2 pages of Asari reproduction and not one "Do they have dicks?!" question?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Outpost22 posted:

Wow 2 pages of Asari reproduction and not one "Do they have dicks?!" question?

We all know the answer to that is ”yep, as long as you know the right search terms”

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

a cyborg mug posted:

What I really wanted to say however that it’s super fascinating how Legion’s voice actor’s real voice actually comes through in its lines despite the obvious heavy processing to make it sound robotic. Hadn’t thought of it before honestly.

Edit: Legion’s voice work is some of my favorite in a series full of fantastic voice work!

Thinking about it, it's kind of appropriate that Legion's personal mission was all about a virus that could have had very terrible repercussions if released.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

a cyborg mug posted:

”Throwing your genes in a lotto spinner” is a really fun way of putting it, heh

I legit really like the Asari as a scifi species concept, I just sort of wish they looked a bunch weirder/more interesting than ”sexy blue space babes”. Like if they’d look more like something like the Warframes from Warframe - weird, more androgynous, sleek - that’d be cool, and would explain them looking attractive to wildly different creatures better

Yeah, a species that can mate with any lifeform shouldn't look humanoid or at least that shouldn't be their *actual* shape. Something like a doppleganger-like giant amoeba that can shapeshift into whatever looks super fuckable to whomever they're talking to would have worked better IMO.

For that matter, I wish a space game that wasn't a 4X did aliens that weren't "basically a man/upright biped, except X" where X is a rubber forehead or four eyes. Hanar and Elcor are great, why don't I have an Hanar sidekick ? And where's the race that lives in a dimension orthogonal to our reality and appears to us in 2D or the sentient battlecrab (since we know evolution really likes inventing crabs) ?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, they can't all be Star Control, sadly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

a cyborg mug posted:

We all know the answer to that is ”yep, as long as you know the right search terms”

Despite what the internet may think it’s actually their head tentacles.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, a species that can mate with any lifeform shouldn't look humanoid or at least that shouldn't be their *actual* shape. Something like a doppleganger-like giant amoeba that can shapeshift into whatever looks super fuckable to whomever they're talking to would have worked better IMO.

For that matter, I wish a space game that wasn't a 4X did aliens that weren't "basically a man/upright biped, except X" where X is a rubber forehead or four eyes. Hanar and Elcor are great, why don't I have an Hanar sidekick ? And where's the race that lives in a dimension orthogonal to our reality and appears to us in 2D or the sentient battlecrab (since we know evolution really likes inventing crabs) ?

The lack of a Hanar party member in any ME is a real shame. I mean I guess it probably would have presented some major animation challenges to give them a full range of combat moves, but still, everybody wants Blasto to be real.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

When I imported my character in to ME2 and he lost his awesome character defining stubble :(

Does it come back...?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cool bug related to the lovely inventory: If you mass junk upgrades in the menu of a gun with no upgrade you can’t leave the menu and have to force close the application.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Kobal2 posted:

Actually the more I think about this the better it becomes. Imagine the sex scene with Liara, then you have Shepard waking up and yawning, turning around with a lovey smile and bam, there's a veiny, gooey, glistening wet blob on the bed next to them that slowly body horrors back into a quirky blue space babe as Liara emerges back to consciousness.
Embrace *that* memory for eternity, lover boy/girl.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Oh man, I missed the ME1 phenomenon of Shepard looking ghoulish depending on very slight alterations to lighting or camera angles at a given time

At least I remember ME2 and 3 being a lot better about this, I guess I'll see soon

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is Legendary selling well? I'm having such a blast revisiting these games. I'm hoping this sells well enough to justify them adding multiplayer.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I always assumed that the Council is so eager to brush off the Reaper threat because the Citadel was created by the Reapers and they possibly included some indoctrination field generators in the council tower. After all, they would be smart to have backup plans in place to ensure that, even if they are somehow discovered via unknown means (such as Liara's time capsule), a cycle's leadership won't move to stop them.

I think ardat yakshi are a well-kept secret along certain Asari. Don't want the aliens to be worried about boning down with you because their brains might get fried.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Huh, did not expect this to happen at the end of ME 1 regarding the Council. I have Ashley and Liara in my squad and Ashley is like "We need to save the Council now, this is bigger than the Alliance!" while Liara is like "Don't send for reinforcements, you need to sacrifice the Council." I'm less surprised at Ashley willing to save the Council than Liara just straight up being like "gently caress em all."

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 20, 2021

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
iirc this is because each squadmate in 1 has a hidden alignment with their own paragon/renegade score. depending on what you say to them over the game, it changes. you must have said enough paragon stuff to ash to make her get a higher score than liara, or vice/versa with liara and renegade points

its a super cool system which sadly is absent in 2 and 3

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

BB2K posted:

iirc this is because each squadmate in 1 has a hidden alignment with their own paragon/renegade score. depending on what you say to them over the game, it changes. you must have said enough paragon stuff to ash to make her get a higher score than liara, or vice/versa with liara and renegade points

Oh wow, I did not even realize that was a thing. That's awesome.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BB2K posted:

Other than the better shooty bits in 2 and 3 you can say this about pretty much all of ME1.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Other than the better shooty bits in 2 and 3 you can say this about pretty much all of ME1.

im almost done with 1 in the remaster, and while its my favourite, a lot of the poo poo they cut out of it for me2 was for the better

i like the mako, but poo poo all to do on most of the planets you use it has been tedious

and the loot is so annoying

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BB2K posted:

im almost done with 1 in the remaster, and while its my favourite, a lot of the poo poo they cut out of it for me2 was for the better

i like the mako, but poo poo all to do on most of the planets you use it has been tedious

and the loot is so annoying

I'm still trying to figure out the improvements.

Better graphics.
The Mako has a turbo button.
Inventory has a mark as trash option. Which doesn't matter if you manage your inventory consistently.

That's all I've noticed so far.

The only one that has truly improved things is the Mako. And that just speeds up planet roaming, which I never minded in the first place.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Welp.
On to 2 !

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Waltzing Along posted:

Better graphics.
Inventory has a mark as trash option. Which doesn't matter if you manage your inventory consistently.

The only one that has truly improved things is the Mako. And that just speeds up planet roaming, which I never minded in the first place.

They also added the ability to sort the inventory by different criteria like level or name (which groups all the different levels of the same item). It's still a long way from any decent kind of management system, but it helps a little bit. I don't even mind the zillion different types of slightly different loot, it allows for some fun tinkering, but the interface makes it inordinately awkward. Scrolling through one enormous list with every weapon or ammo mod...

The Mako, in itself, is pretty fun as a kind of side-game. Zooming around blasting enemies, when you actually get to them, is great. I think the random planets would have been improved with a slight tweak to the terrain extremes to make it less bullshit to navigate around, and maybe some extra mechanic to make exploration a little more interesting.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kobal2 posted:

Actually the more I think about this the better it becomes. Imagine the sex scene with Liara, then you have Shepard waking up and yawning, turning around with a lovey smile and bam, there's a veiny, gooey, glistening wet blob on the bed next to them that slowly body horrors back into a quirky blue space babe as Liara emerges back to consciousness.
Embrace *that* memory for eternity, lover boy/girl.

So it's Galaxy Quest

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Olanphonia posted:

I think ardat yakshi are a well-kept secret along certain Asari. Don't want the aliens to be worried about boning down with you because their brains might get fried.

The codec in either 2 or 3 outs that the Asari used their economic and political power to suppress information about the Ardat Yakshi because it would scare away outsiders. Instead of rare occurrences something like 1-2% of the entire Asari population carry the AY gene, the murderous space vampires are just the most extreme cases of it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Better graphics.

The dedicated melee attack is great

Controller support

Ability to use any gun, and they're now accurate instead of relying on rng for if your shots hit or not

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Waltzing Along posted:

Better graphics.

Every class gets all weapons access, don't need a million skill points invested to make sniper rifles not aim like rear end, double the skill points on level-up, only need 5 missions with NPCs to get their bonus trait, full XP for kills made in the Mako, Insanity difficulty unlocked from the start, facegen doesn't only generate ghoulish potatoes (though I suppose that's part of "better graphics").

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Midnight Voyager posted:

So it's Galaxy Quest

... Yeah, pretty much.
gently caress, I thought I was being original.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BB2K posted:

One thing about this is that it always uses it as a relative scale, so that any time you get a decision where the party will offer input, you will always have one party member suggest one option and the other party member suggest the other - whoever has the more renegade alignment will suggest the renegade option, regardless of their overall disposition. So you can sometimes get these seemingly "out of character" moments if you happen to run with a team where both party members are paragon aligned, because the only thing that matters is whoever is higher/lower.

They may have decided to ditch it in the sequels just to keep the characterization more consistent, since it is a bit weird that what a character will suggest will change depending on who you pair them with.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 20, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kobal2 posted:

Every class gets all weapons access, don't need a million skill points invested to make sniper rifles not aim like rear end, double the skill points on level-up, only need 5 missions with NPCs to get their bonus trait, full XP for kills made in the Mako, Insanity difficulty unlocked from the start, facegen doesn't only generate ghoulish potatoes (though I suppose that's part of "better graphics").

Oh yeah, the XP and the skill points is great too. It makes unlocking all the skills a lot easier, and it's faster to get to Luna.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BB2K posted:

Garrus, Kaidan and Ashley have that, but Liara, Tali and Wrex don't. You can push Ash and Kaidan to be more or less space racist from their default positions with your influence, and Garrus can go from siding with C-Sec or the Spectres depending on your influence. But in regard to the final argument about the Council, who says what is strictly tied to whoever is in the #2 and #3 spot in the party. Character #2 will always push to save the Council, and Character #3 will always argue to let them die, no matter where they fall on the alignment spectrum.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Turning Kaiden into a space racist in me1 is pretty hilarious especially if you can get him to be the one arguing over wrex to sacrifice the council

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Feros was a lot smaller than I remember when I played it all those years ago...I also like that there's an actual dialogue sequence on the skyway of an ambushed Exogeni team in a tunnel trying to get supplies but when you go down to investigate its just two geth, a single dead body and a single container with like, proton rounds :effort:

Also despite only being two blips away from max paragon I still couldn't talk down the Exogeni manager. It's kinda funny that that's literally one of the highest persuade checks in the game and it's to save a guy you probably want to shoot anyway :shrug:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wolfsheim posted:

Also despite only being two blips away from max paragon I still couldn't talk down the Exogeni manager. It's kinda funny that that's literally one of the highest persuade checks in the game and it's to save a guy you probably want to shoot anyway :shrug:

Does the actual P/R meter have an impact on conversation options in 1? I thought it all came down to how many points you have in persuasion or... shouting? Whatever the red text option is.

fake edit: indimidation! took me a sec.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Mass effect 2 is nearly unimpeachable but why the gently caress is there such limited ammo god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Does the actual P/R meter have an impact on conversation options in 1? I thought it all came down to how many points you have in persuasion or... shouting? Whatever the red text option is.

fake edit: indimidation! took me a sec.

you have to get enough P/R points to get the chance to level up either persuasion ability. I think they relaxed the requirements because despite playing a total good guy it was easy to get both to midway, but those last two persuasion blocks are still blacked out even after the huge chunk of paragon points I got for nonlethally handling all of the colonists.