Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

Rick had the perfect wrestling physique imo

"Godammit Steve! It's an upper body business!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Low Desert Punk posted:

Rick had the perfect wrestling physique imo

He looked real good, he felt even better

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what's the consensus over who is at fault for the finish of Starrcade 97? afaik Nick Patrick says there was a miscommunication over whether to give a slow or normal count, others claim Hogan got in his ear. I also heard that Sting turned up to the event in bad condition and this led to the finish being changed somehow?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

From what I understand the claims was that Sting came in pale and a little out of shape. since he hadn't been wrestling in a while obviously but he wasn't like, on drugs or something like that. I can't remember exactly where that account comes from though

This is just my personal feeling but I get the impression things were built towards Sting winning but Bischoff and Hogan never intended for the nWo to go away and worked with Nick Patrick to try and have things both ways. There's nothing to really support that I know of other just me having a low opinion of Bischoff and Hogan.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Seams posted:

what's the consensus over who is at fault for the finish of Starrcade 97? afaik Nick Patrick says there was a miscommunication over whether to give a slow or normal count, others claim Hogan got in his ear. I also heard that Sting turned up to the event in bad condition and this led to the finish being changed somehow?

the answer to your question is wcw

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It’s Hogan. I think you know who made the call.

Sting did look lame and Bischoff has insinuated that he was going through some personal/marriage problems at the time, but none of that should make a ref simply not do a fast count when instructed to do so.

Also given how WCW was I can’t fault Nick Patrick for knowing where the bread was buttered and not doing the fast count.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
I thought it had come out within the last 10 years that Hogan literally paid Patrick to do a regular count because he didn't think Sting deserved the win because of whatever petty reasons Hogan had; out of shape, hadn't been working, whatever.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is there a wrong side of bread to butter?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I know it was WCW and Hogan and everything that entails but him torpedoing not only the climax of a story that had more than a year of build but also the PPV debut in WCW of Bret Hart post-Montreal is insane behaviour to the extent that I don't even know what was in it for him. Honestly it's such a bad finish that WCW should count itself lucky it got another chance at success with Goldberg.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there a wrong side of bread to butter?

The crust side. Equivalent of giving Tank Abbot a world title run.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!

Seams posted:

WCW is fault for allowing the blowoff to a mega money feud to be so lovely. It doesn't matter if it was Hogan's call, it was the company's fault for allowing whoever made the call to make it. It doesn't matter if Sting was working badly, out of shape, had a bad attitude, or strangled his wife and children the night before, it was a loving stupid business move.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Also that match wasn't even an aberration. The entire card of Starrcade 97 was mostly poo poo. No payoffs, nWo winning stuff, Kevin Nash faking a heart attack so he wouldn't have to job. It was a really, really bad PPV

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Tato posted:

Also that match wasn't even an aberration. The entire card of Starrcade 97 was mostly poo poo. No payoffs, nWo winning stuff, Kevin Nash faking a heart attack so he wouldn't have to job. It was a really, really bad PPV

I didn't have cable, never saw PPVs and could only watch WCW Worldwide on Sunday mornings, and everything around this PPV still managed to kill my interest in WCW at 13 years old. It just became clear the stories were completely pointless and they were just loving around too much.

Plus ECW was steadily rising and at the time made the bigger brands look really lame in comparison to a teenager.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

WCW is fault for allowing the blowoff to a mega money feud to be so lovely. It doesn't matter if it was Hogan's call, it was the company's fault for allowing whoever made the call to make it. It doesn't matter if Sting was working badly, out of shape, had a bad attitude, or strangled his wife and children the night before, it was a loving stupid business move.

There is probably few dumber ideas in wrestling than letting a wrestler have creative control.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Bischoff being a complete mark for Hogan made it so much worse

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It makes me wonder if stuff would have collapsed even faster if Goldberg hadn't come out of nowhere to give WCW some momentum again. Having Sting go over definitively at Starrcade could have led to a real death of the nWo angle with some stakes and consequences. Hogan still would have been a focal point of the company and getting big paydays.

Instead we got the title floating around the first half of the year with a neutered Sting, Hogan mainly involving himself in celebrity feuds for the summer, then the loving Warrior stuff before his "presidential campaign." And instead of building up to an actual Hogan vs Nash battle, we got the fingerpoke.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Even if/when Hogan got in Patrick's ear, I'll never understand why Sting himself didn't make any effort to kick out during the botched fast count.

e: I totally forgot they didn't just gently caress up the PPV by having the nWo look too strong throughout, they also had the obvious story of "Chris Benoit finally overcomes Raven's gang of jobbers" right there and instead had Benoit lose.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 19, 2021

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

"Godammit Steve! It's an upper body business!"

I’m always going to prefer Steve’s story about going hunting with Rick with another wrestler, and them eating dinner after a good day’s hunt. Rick crow’s-paths his way to the couch, lighting up a fat joint, plates still on the table and everything needing to be cleaned. So Steve speaks up, “hey, Rick, you gonna help clear up the table?”

And he just hears the drag on the joint, a blow, and then: “gently caress no!”

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was fond of the one where Austin kept saying "Goddammit" in the car, so Rude abruptly shouts "Steve will you stop taking the Lord's name in vain!?" "I am very sorry Rick, you have my apologies and my word that I will not do that again." "Thank you Steve." "You're goddamn welcome"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just now realizing that Stunning Steve and Ravishing Rick were probably traveling together for a reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just now realizing that Stunning Steve and Ravishing Rick were probably traveling together for a reason.

They were both in the Dangerous Alliance together for one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And they were loving like ducklings.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dawgstar posted:

They were both in the Dangerous Alliance together for one.

Yeah, I knew that. Just never caught on that they may have been trying to mold Steve to be like Rick.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah, I knew that. Just never caught on that they may have been trying to mold Steve to be like Rick.

Which is funny in that Steve needed much less molding. Early in his career, the story goes, Rick was Not Good. Finally he got sent to Memphis because if you couldn't come out of there a half-decent worker you couldn't anywhere and sure enough, he got over. One of the older guys he worked with even gave him the idea for the slow disrobing because back then Rude worked really snug and anything that killed time so you didn't have to get punched by Rick was welcomed. With Steven they just had to... let go.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Which is funny in that Steve needed much less molding. Early in his career, the story goes, Rick was Not Good. Finally he got sent to Memphis because if you couldn't come out of there a half-decent worker you couldn't anywhere and sure enough, he got over. One of the older guys he worked with even gave him the idea for the slow disrobing because back then Rude worked really snug and anything that killed time so you didn't have to get punched by Rick was welcomed. With Steven they just had to... let go.

Austin was getting rave reviews in his rookie year, IIRC. Like, one of the reasons he turned on Chris Adams was they saw big potential in him, and shackling him to Adams (his trainer) like he was a severely limited, green as gooseshit rookie was unnecessary.

My favorite thing about Rude was the urban legend that if people got unruly in bar he bounced in, he could KO them with a single slap.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 21, 2021

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Which he put to use when Ultimate Warrior wouldn't stop stiffing him. "Hey, you need to lighten up out there." "I don't need to do anything, I'm the Warrior." "*SLAP*"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Which he put to use when Ultimate Warrior wouldn't stop stiffing him. "Hey, you need to lighten up out there." "I don't need to do anything, I'm the Warrior." "*SLAP*"

Warrior learned that lesson a couple times. Andre had to do something similar, followed by Warrior working light the next night and Andre turning to Heenan and saying "He's learning!"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

thinking about warrior made me want to dig up the first rant he put on his site after the WCW run

quote:

Hello. Warriors. Since my short note here at Warrior Web many mails have come in. 99.9% of them positive; the other .01%, warriors don’t concern themselves with.

My comment, “I'm back” has been misunderstood. Like to clear that up right now. I'm back here at Warrior Web. Feels great to be, and I’m planning to do so more regularly, but I’m not back in the ring or back out in the world of Prowrestling. I do, however, understand how that could have been misunderstood. The last time I put forth major effort here on Warrior Web, those efforts, happened to coincide with a return back to Prowrestling.

Since the topic of choice and curiosity, for a great deal of you, is Prowrestling let me make a couple of statements about the probabilities of possibilities and the impassibilities of impossibilities.

WCW
Often I get mail with language content that clearly reflects the writer isn’t aware that I appeared at WCW. For those who don’t know or aren’t sure, I did; in the latter part of ‘98. A year ago, almost to the day, I began what was a 6-month/2 PPV contract that expired 12/31/98.
“Why,” many ask, “aren’t you still there?” Of course, everyone else has expressed their opinion. And in this business most of those are built on quicksand -- nothing about them is concrete. The truth is that there is no leadership @ WCW. Something I did not know before I started my negotiations, suspected during, and later, after signing, came to find out all too clearly. Eric Bischoff is a personable enough guy. His intentions are in the right place, but his leadership skills are sadly, brutally lacking. I don’t believe, from what I saw, that there's any malice or sinisterness to personally destroy anyone’s career. My position on this differs from others. But, I do agree, he doesn’t, as I saw it, do much to propel one either. Frankly, he’s acted more like the chairman-elect of the WWF’s welcoming committee, as talent frequents there, than he has as the President of WCW.

There is absolutely no proper preparation for the television programming. At all. I’m sorry Eric, but making yourself unavailable all week because you say you “need to clear your mind,” and not returning calls at all, and scheduling a paltry hour and a half to two hour meeting just prior to airtime on Monday night with all the talent, each one vying for his own vague range-of-the-moment agenda, while, at the same time, vilifying the agenda of others is not proper preparation, in anyway shape or form. “Spontaneity”, as it was called, is altogether different than trying to fill a void.

What I was told I’d have and what my character needed -- to exploit it to it’s fullest potential -- necessitated thinking, and that was too difficult for some individuals there to do. Who, specifically, those individuals are, I intend to discuss at greater length later. (see note re: book below)

The real blame lies with the leader.

The actions and behaviors of the troops are set by the general. [“An Example Set is an Example Followed.” Brought to you by Warrior Wisdom.]. When the general runs and hides under the covers or dives in a foxhole, the troops follow suit. Who are they to say or do otherwise? Especially when the mailbox always has a regular-arriving check in it, and Turner’s pockets are viewed as an “ATM machine,” and anyone who wants to tinker with the system is forewarned, “Don’t f%#$ with the ATM machine.”

Truth is, many don’t want to be the best and that “don’t have to be, why try to be?” atmosphere becomes increasingly demotivating. Many are, and want, to be floaters, perturbers, disturbers, or slackers. On the other hand, there are some truly good-intended individuals over there butting heads with that bulwark of complacency, but as a whole, intentions are far removed from activations.

I’m proud of what I brought to WCW. I spoke openly about the deliberate diversions and people didn’t like that. My first appearance, a face to face interview with Hogan, Beefcake and Bischoff was a launching pad like no other, if they’d just utilized it instead of telling me “We think, maybe, you stepped over the line, uh, possibly, and made comments” -- during that brilliant, well-thought out, well-planned interview we never expected -- “that were too personal.” Are you kidding me? Maybe guys, it’d be better if you just stopped at, “We think, maybe.” Then I’d understand. Then I’d get it. Shortly after, I heard the words “too cerebral” and “Warrior’s turning himself heel by acting like that...” Little droppings of sentiment seeded in the minds of others by Einstein himself, Professor of Scatology, Kevin Nash. Well, if that’s the opinion held by others, I strongly disagree. And when faced with the facts I intend to release one day soon, I’d say it’s a drat shame some didn’t engage their cerebral a bit more. Because ultimately, as the ratings in the marketplace now vividly show, it has cost the company, irretrievably, as a whole. I expect this will be denied and refuted. That’s why we keep some back. Besides, the evidence speaks for itself.

It’s really funny and sad at the same time. I just find it odd when someone who wants to be the best at everything he does or tries gets shunned for that very reason. Something is really wrong with that. Really.

followed by 2500+ more words ranting about WWF lawsuits, Warrior University, comic books, and then trying to get Paul Heyman to hire him in ECW

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My favorite thing about Rude was the urban legend that if people got unruly in bar he bounced in, he could KO them with a single slap.

That is allegedly how PN News humiliated himself out of WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Warrior is stinky doo doo but I once watched a two hour shoot on his time in WCW and I can't say I disagreed with his conclusions.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Warrior is stinky doo doo but I once watched a two hour shoot on his time in WCW and I can't say I disagreed with his conclusions.

Broken clock right twice a day, etc.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There's a lot there that seems to jive with what we know about WCW management, but then then there are parts that are definitely Brought to us by Warrior Wisdom.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah reading what he had to say about Bish I was like “this is... oddly fair”

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And they were loving like ducklings.

... each other?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Austin was getting rave reviews in his rookie year, IIRC. Like, one of the reasons he turned on Chris Adams was they saw big potential in him, and shackling him to Adams (his trainer) like he was a severely limited, green as gooseshit rookie was unnecessary.

It reminds me of the story Tennis Racket Man tells about Herc Hernandez who slapped a guy senseless and asked why he didn't hit him, Herc said "Oh, no, if you punch a guy you can really hurt him!"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

People always talk about who has the best punches in the business but I can never imagine a punch from anyone.

Rick Rude's slap? I can imagine that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I can feel Nakamura kick my pretty head clean off.