Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Smythe posted:

i just jam the 2.5" ssds into corners / messes of cables. gently caress it

what are you? my old rigs rageposting at me??? :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, worst-case just spend the hundred bucks on a new, 750W or 850W gold-rated PSU and count your blessings that is the only markup you paid for a 3080.
:shrug:

Yeah, I guess so. Might throw the 650w model into the 6-year old rig I replaced this with to keep it chugging a bit longer... That's all assuming that they don't just cancel my order because reasons.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

what are you? my old rigs rageposting at me??? :sweatdrop:

listen bud. ill never manage a cable. if its not in a fan, its good enough for me.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You need the big one (it powers the board) and one of the possibly two small ones (they power the cpu). Some PSUs / motherboards have two four-pin connectors for the cpu, but you only need the second if you're doing serious OC.
Ah, maybe that's what it was. The small power connector presents as an 8-pin block, and the PSU provides it as two 4-pin blocks, so maybe it was saying you could connect only half of it, though I don't know why you'd want to. (Maybe some PSUs only have one?)

quote:

Its also often second and fourth slots for two sticks, I'd double check the manual before you go swapping things.
I guess maybe there's some markings on the board itself that make it detectable which non-adjacent pair are A2/B2 ("preferred") and which are A1/B1. The manual and diagram are no help. First and third or second and fourth are the same thing depending which end I'm counting from. Still, given that it yelled at me for doing an adjacent pair, maybe it will yell at me if I get it wrong the other way too!

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011
Edit: ^^^ they should be silkscreened next to the slots on the board itself, yes. Depending on the board, they may be different colours.

Smythe posted:

listen bud. ill never manage a cable. if its not in a fan, its good enough for me.

:mods:

Ban this sick filth!

lordofthefishes fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 20, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

Apparently I am a stupidface.

When my new machine wouldn't start up, it appears the problem was that when the motherboard manual said you only have to connect one of the two power connectors, either it meant "only the small one" or it was lying. I foolishly assumed the big one was the important one because that's what the *only* power connector was like last time I built a desktop.

With the new motherboard the manual said you definitely have to connect the small one (and didn't say much about the other one). With both connected, it works (and with only the large one connected it had a similar but not identical failure pattern to the first motherboard's behavior.)

I say works; I only got as far as "something on a screen" so far, the something was "gently caress you you should put the memory into the first and third slots not the first and second slots, do it right, jackass," and it was late, so that's step one for tomorrow.

Also, the new motherboard+same RAM is a terrible pairing with the case. The RAM slots with the tall RAM block two of the three hard drive spaces (they did not with the other motherboard). And the third hard drive space (screwed to the bottom of the case) makes that control pin block with the power/reset pins hard to access. Luckily that one slot is still usable so long as the pins are connected first, and I only wanted one HDD.

PC Building Megathread - gently caress you, put the Ram in A1/B1, Jackass

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ohhhh look at me and my perfectly tidy case. its sooooo clean and pretty inside, not a cable to be seen. now if youll excuse me im off to jamba juice, then the tutu store, and finally to build a bear. tralalalalalala

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Smythe posted:

ohhhh look at me and my perfectly tidy case. its sooooo clean and pretty inside, not a cable to be seen. now if youll excuse me im off to jamba juice, then the tutu store, and finally to build a bear. tralalalalalala

Mr/Mrs Smythe, your thermals would like a word with you

:colbert:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Mr/Mrs Smythe, your thermals would like a word with you

:colbert:

add more fans. very very simple. still too hot? more fans. take the side off and put a box fan if too extreme

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Smythe posted:

Finally someone who builds like I do. When I did my upgrade I wondered what the rattling noise was on first boot before I noticed I'd left the other half of the split GPU power cable in the GPU fan.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Smythe posted:

i just jam the 2.5" ssds into corners / messes of cables. gently caress it

I helped a friend build their first PC which only had m.2 SSDs and a single SATA SSD so I taught him the doctrine of putting them whenever

He recently bought a 16tb 3.5" drive and I found out that he just sat it on the backplate of his 2080ti :buddy:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Vintage cases FTW, just cram your additional SSD's and whatever into the space above the busted IDE CD/DVD-R drive that won't even connect to the motherboard you have in the thing now anyway

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

I helped a friend build their first PC which only had m.2 SSDs and a single SATA SSD so I taught him the doctrine of putting them whenever

He recently bought a 16tb 3.5" drive and I found out that he just sat it on the backplate of his 2080ti :buddy:

:magical:

Rip his PCI slot.

And also probably his data. The vibration from the fan ramp probably isn’t good.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

edit: Ignore this, posted in error! Sorry!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

njsykora posted:

Finally someone who builds like I do. When I did my upgrade I wondered what the rattling noise was on first boot before I noticed I'd left the other half of the split GPU power cable in the GPU fan.

:hai:

BurritoJustice posted:

Smart move.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Vintage cases FTW, just cram your additional SSD's and whatever into the space above the busted IDE CD/DVD-R drive that won't even connect to the motherboard you have in the thing now anyway

Wisdom.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I am looking for a cheap computer. Used is fine, the use case is going to be home assistant, a program to run some surveillance cameras (probably blue iris), and a few spreadsheets. It will need to be something that can be left always on.

Any suggestions, in the US btw?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

dalstrs posted:

I am looking for a cheap computer. Used is fine, the use case is going to be home assistant, a program to run some surveillance cameras (probably blue iris), and a few spreadsheets. It will need to be something that can be left always on.

Look on eBay and Craigslist for decommissioned or refurb or liquidated office machines.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Look on eBay and Craigslist for decommissioned or refurb or liquidated office machines.

Also new or refurbished mac minis are a good choice. (FYI you can install windows or linux on macs.)

Edit: Refurbished dell optiplexes have some reasonable options.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/desktop-computers

And of course you can also go the DIY route for a reasonable price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhXwZbGByM8

I'd probably go with a 3200g or 3400g instead of the 3000g though. You can also probably justify 16gb of ram too since it sounds like you will be using it for some always-on and multitasking stuff.

If you need help putting together a classy affordable office PC build for your needs, people here can def help.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 20, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Spacedad posted:

Also new or refurbished mac minis are a good choice. (FYI you can install windows or linux on macs.)

I wouldn't buy a Mac mini older than the 2018 models, the last refresh before that was in 2014, and haswell dual core laptop chips don't hold up nearly as well as the desktop parts. The M1 macs currently appear to only run windows in a VM, and while people have gotten Linux installed on them I don't think it's ready for primetime yet.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I wouldn't buy a Mac mini older than the 2018 models, the last refresh before that was in 2014, and haswell dual core laptop chips don't hold up nearly as well as the desktop parts. The M1 macs currently appear to only run windows in a VM, and while people have gotten Linux installed on them I don't think it's ready for primetime yet.

This.

2018 or later.

No M1 macs unless you don’t care about windows/linux. Then the M1 Mac mini’s are awesome

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

dalstrs posted:

Check Craigslist/FB Marketplace for some used workstations, you can almost always find people liquidating a bunch of Dell Optiplexes or HP ProDesks with i7s that are decent enough for those workloads. I would say look for ones with a T or U series chip, those are low/ultra low power versions of CPUs so they idle a bit more efficiently for always-on boxes.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
My rear end in a top hat 3 year old son likes to sneak up to whoever is on the computer and press the power button, before running off giggling. loving prick.

So I bought one of these and it's been an immediate improvement:

I put the switch right in front of the monitor, so:
  1. the little bastard can't sneak up on us anymore, and
  2. it's more challenging for him to get at.
It's doubly great, because my case's power-on LED is obnoxiously bright, so this serves as a great replacement. It came with a circle of poster tape to stick it anywhere, thought I didn't really need it. I got the cheapest one I could find, but I didn't realize you could get these with USB headers, headphone/microphone jacks, or even barebones AF for maximum fuckling. If I ever get around to building a new desk, I'll look at integrating one of these into it.

Building computers is neat!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

My rear end in a top hat 3 year old son likes to sneak up to whoever is on the computer and press the power button, before running off giggling. loving prick.

It's doubly great, because my case's power-on LED is obnoxiously bright, so this serves as a great replacement. It came with a circle of poster tape to stick it anywhere, thought I didn't really need it. I got the cheapest one I could find, but I didn't realize you could get these with USB headers, headphone/microphone jacks, or even barebones AF for maximum fuckling. If I ever get around to building a new desk, I'll look at integrating one of these into it.

That’s awesome.

But why not just keep the power button disconnected?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

And just leave it running constantly? I suppose I could. Seems wasteful though. And we've got 3 kids, so it's nice when we can have some quiet.

Unless you mean the power LED, which I considered (and should have done). It was mostly the misses who complained about it, so maybe I was just too lazy.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

And just leave it running constantly? I suppose I could. Seems wasteful though. And we've got 3 kids, so it's nice when we can have some quiet.

Unless you mean the power LED, which I considered (and should have done). It was mostly the misses who complained about it, so maybe I was just too lazy.

No I meant the whole button. For something to temporary, I’d probably disconnect the button and use the PSU switch to power it on when it’s off.

Also idle if you have the right power management settings, your machine should be using very little in the way of electricity.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

No I meant the whole button. For something to temporary, I’d probably disconnect the button and use the PSU switch to power it on when it’s off.

Also idle if you have the right power management settings, your machine should be using very little in the way of electricity.

I didn't know you could do that. My only concern would be that my son is such a clever poo poo-disturber tha'd he'd catch on and start flipping that switch. Would rather have the switch right in front of the user, and $12 isn't a bad way to get there until cryptominers find a way to mine using detached power switches.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Slightly "I feel like I should know the answer to this" question - I can just take the secondary HD from my old system and stick it into the new system and have it work, right? The new computer won't just go "what the gently caress is all this data?"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mynnna posted:

Slightly "I feel like I should know the answer to this" question - I can just take the secondary HD from my old system and stick it into the new system and have it work, right? The new computer won't just go "what the gently caress is all this data?"

No problem at all.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

No problem at all.

That's what I thought, but it's been a long drat time since I've setup a new system, thanks.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

until cryptominers find a way to mine using detached power switches.

Don’t give them any ideas

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

Don’t give them any ideas

If mining with detached power switches meant they wouldn't mine with GPUs I say let them go for it.

(e: it would not.)

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mine is a mechanical key. :3:

https://www.amazon.com/DKE-Desktop-...21563490&sr=8-3

Because my 20 month old is also an rear end in a top hat :(

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spunkshui posted:

Anyone else have issues with the i and o keys on their phone?

Or dongs where they shouldn’t be?

Its a real problem 😞

I hope it didn't upset you. I understand problems and I try to text my brother "Brian," but my phone always autocorrects it to "Buttcoin." I don't have the heart to tell him.

Smythe posted:

add more fans. very very simple. still too hot? more fans. take the side off and put a box fan if too extreme.

You laugh but my 10 year old fans were giving signs of distress a year ago and I took off the sides and put a desktop oscillating fan behind my smaller monitor2 and didn't replace the fans until I got them with my new computer 6ish weeks ago. I would've done the right thing if it was the cpu fan or something, but never needed them to replace until I was worried about putting it in the underside of my old computer desk where airflow is worse. No "techie" reason, just lazy. My new machine runs cooler and quieter even at full load.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 21, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Mine is a mechanical key. :3:

https://www.amazon.com/DKE-Desktop-...21563490&sr=8-3

Because my 20 month old is also an rear end in a top hat :(

Eeeeey, I like it! Sticking that tiny thing on the back of the monitor is a good idea.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

I didn't know you could do that. My only concern would be that my son is such a clever poo poo-disturber tha'd he'd catch on and start flipping that switch. Would rather have the switch right in front of the user, and $12 isn't a bad way to get there until cryptominers find a way to mine using detached power switches.

the detached power switch is very funny & also genius. dont let the wierdos itt get you down

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

mynnna posted:

If it's the boot drive from the old system, you may want to pop into the BIOS and verify boot load order, to ensure you're booting from the new drive and not the one from the old computer. Otherwise 0 issues with putting it in tye new system.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

mynnna posted:

I have had drives that have found a home as "misc secondary drive" on like, 4 different machines over the years.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

the detached power switch is very funny & also genius. dont let the wierdos itt get you down

Wait 'till I tell them that I put the backplate in a PCI slot that makes the cord (in the case) too short to cable manage.

COME AT ME BRO

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'm really, really good at cable management, btw. i manage to get all the cables in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Stuffing cables in the case while quickly closing the side before they pop out again ftw