Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

hakimashou posted:

I don't think that 9/11 had a bigger psychological effect than covid or that it changed nearly as much here as covid changed. 9/11 didn't change almost everything about this country, it changed much less than covid has.

A million dead Iraqis, an out of control surveillance state and being at war with someone, somewhere, forever, and you’re talking about shoes. Just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hakimashou posted:

I dont mind taking my shoes off or whatever im not a libertarian weirdo.

Havent hijacked or blown up any planes since have they?

The weaponized airliner plot was dead the moment it was first executed. Now that passengers know that a hijacking doesn’t mean a trip to Cuba and some travel vouchers, they’ll beat hijackers to death with their shoes if they have to.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
the difference is a plane running into a building is black or white, either you end up exploding or you don’t.

covid on the other hand only kills the weak and elderly and I’m not gonna be one of the weak people so it’s no big deal

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I just know that eventually cases are going to get low enough where my work will be like "people can come back to the office now!"

I really do not want to go back to working in a loving office. I love working from home. I also do not want to get sick, even if there's like 10 cases per day in my state or whatever. I will literally find a new job that is remote before I go back to working in an office for 8.5 hours a day doing 30 minutes of actual work and 8 hours of pretending to work while my boss walks in and out of our department's cubicle space.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I have gone back on occasion to the first dozen pages of the first thread and the videos of the people dropping dead on the sidewalk were and still are freaky.
Its just gon' be like that I suppose. I heard and reconfirmed the timeline of a 'crossfit coach' who died of this thing in 2020 and it was 2 weeks from diagnosis to life support/dead.
Now a crossfit coach could mean a lot of things from supplements in the immune system to high exposure but the point being is that people will just continue to drop like flies from this new form of natural disaster that, because of the overall human condition, seems to be unpreventable
..Lol

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

AHH F/UGH posted:

I just know that eventually cases are going to get low enough where my work will be like "people can come back to the office now!"

I really do not want to go back to working in a loving office. I love working from home. I also do not want to get sick, even if there's like 10 cases per day in my state or whatever. I will literally find a new job that is remote before I go back to working in an office for 8.5 hours a day doing 30 minutes of actual work and 8 hours of pretending to work while my boss walks in and out of our department's cubicle space.

What's happened here is a lot of employers realising that they can save on overheads if they don't need to provide expensive office space for all of their employees five days per week, so a lot of employees are only going into the office once or twice a week.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When I saw a bunch of new posts in this thread I do have to say I did not expect a heated 9/11 derail. Well-played, thread, well-played.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Space Camp fuckup posted:

A million dead Iraqis, an out of control surveillance state and being at war with someone, somewhere, forever, and you’re talking about shoes. Just lol

Maybe one way to put it into perspective with the topic of whether covid or 9/11 changed America/Britain/Canada? more is to think that there will probably be close to a million dead Americans / British / Canadians by the time its over.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Yeah alright that’s fair

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://twitter.com/AHS_media/status/1395141091154821120?s=19

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

:negative:
I can't express how upset that makes me I'm going to go look at kittens

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would have been vaccinated a month earlier if trump hadn’t hosed up that stuff so bad. My original first dose was scheduled for 1/24 but had to be cancelled the week prior because a bunch of shipments never showed up.

hey me too and that means me and my whole family wouldn't have gotten covid, which we did literally four days before my wife and I were eligible for vaccinations. I will literally piss on trump's grave at some point in my life, i promise you this

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Regarding airport security I believe the basic x-rays and metal detectors to stop people from straight up just walking onto a plane with an Uzi and jacking it to Havana every single day was basically the sweet spot of airport security.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

poll plane variant posted:

Regarding airport security I believe the basic x-rays and metal detectors to stop people from straight up just walking onto a plane with an Uzi and jacking it to Havana every single day was basically the sweet spot of airport security.

Back when all you needed was to be a straight white dude with a nervous system full of lead, and the world was your oyster.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a pained analogy for this stuff and masks

We still don’t have all the bins back in public spaces which confuses and annoys young people but I’m old and remember when people died because IRA bombs kept being put in bins so they had to take them out.

Should it still be a pain in the arse to get rid of rubbish in stations? No not now. But it’s been 24 years since the hostilities ceased here, the hostilities haven’t ceased in the Middle East, and although coronavirus seems to be dying down that war isn’t over on that one either. Too soon to drop the precautions in countries like America, these things take time.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

nexous posted:

the difference is a plane running into a building is black or white, either you end up exploding or you don’t.

covid on the other hand only kills the weak and elderly and I’m not gonna be one of the weak people so it’s no big deal

It's this. It has nothing to do with 9/11 being big screen horrific theatrical, and everything to do with the fact that the average joe just doesn't expect the old or the disabled to live for much longer anyway, and therefore doesn't assign their lives the same value.

If COVID was somhow uniquely attuned to infecting and killing children we would have seen a very different response.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hakimashou posted:

the pandemic has had a much bigger effect on the day to day lives of a lot more people in the US than 9/11 did. Republicans are always going to be stupid garbage pieces of poo poo, but I don't remember a hundred million people isolating and working from home working from home for a year after 9/11 or wearing masks in public or making other really radical changes to how they lived their lives. We didn't throw bush out over it for that matter.

Nor indeed did we develop amazing antiterrorism vaccines and get them in the arms of a hundred million people in the space of a year either.

I guess when you compare all that to having to take your shoes off at the airport though...

Not for nothing but the same idiots who whine and moan about wearing a mask also get upset about having to go through airport security. Maybe its those people specifically who are just always the problem.

Also lol, if this is what bin laden winning looks liked I'd really hate to see what him losing would have.

We've killed hundreds of thousands of just Iraqi civilians alone. Maybe 40,000 Afghanis. Not sure about combatants.

So there was a poo poo ton of lives lost, just not Americans.

efb; a few times

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 20, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Charliegrs posted:

I think 9/11 got people all riled up more than Covid is because 9/11 was caused by an identifiable enemy so people knew who to blame and boy America loves to have an enemy whether it be the Japanese and Germans in WW2, the communists in the cold war, or Al Qaeda in the 2000s.

A pandemic is basically a natural disaster like a flood or hurricane. It's just one of those things that happens and you can't really "blame" it on anyone. At least that's the way it's always been historically. There is actually some blame to go around for this one. The Chinese could have been more open about it's origin and the nature of the virus early on. The Trump admin, well we all know much they hosed up. But still I think for the most part people are sorta blase about this virus because it's just an "act of god" so to speak.

This 100%.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

911 was way funnier than this though at least.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Post-9/11 politics eventually lead to Trump getting elected which drastically altered the path of the US' pandemic response and lead to all the "The cure can't be worse than the disease" bullshit and politicizing facemasks and the rest of the bullfuckery. There was always going to be some elements of that (just look at the 1918 flu epidemic) but this cranked the dial up to 11. All those years and years of Trump's anti-decorum/post-truth leadership encouraging libertarian/MAGAt/QAnon selfishness and conspiracy theorizing and "triggering the libs" leading directly into a global pandemic where an effective national response relied on the administration listening to the experts and making sensible proactive choices alongside individuals continually making small sacrifices for the common good and acting in the best interests of the community as a whole ......
:discourse:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think a lot of people heard it was an old person’s disease and started thinking what car they would buy with the inheritance money OP.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Bape Culture posted:

911 was way funnier than this though at least.

Covid is way funnier lmao what's wrong with you

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mods rename me hulk hogan yakety sax meme

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

ben shapino posted:

Remember the dancing nurses teaching us how to properly wash hands to fend off the coming pandemic? PYF covid memory.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TacoNight posted:

Remember the dancing nurses teaching us how to properly wash hands to fend off the coming pandemic? PYF covid memory.

Easily the inflatable Christmas tree festive killing costume

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

The death tree was like peak dark comedy. A well intentioned, but very poorly thought out, attempt at cheering up people ends up infecting a while bunch of people and even killing some. Just walking around with a fan blowing covid everywhere.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bape Culture posted:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Bape Culture posted:

def

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TacoNight posted:

Remember all the adults who'd apparently never learned how to wash their hands? LOL.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TacoNight posted:

https://twitter.com/CityOfNOLA/status/1249039072644997123?s=19

https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/1249142863004348419?s=19

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My Nan, 94, barricading herself in her nursing home room and screaming “leave it by the door and gently caress off” at the staff for months on end.

Also My Nan, 94, tottering slowly across the lawn to see my mum who was the other side of a fence and going “It’s cold and I’m missing my tea”, turning round and tottering slowly back inside again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ben shapino posted:

Those two French assholes who ran a study on whether hydroxychloroquine can 'cure' covid with an 'open label' non-randomized trial where several of the patients receiving hydroxy died and none of the placebo group had negative effects but they still claimed hydroxy had a "100% cure rate", and then some lawyer who falsely claimed ties with Stanford went on Tucker Carlson and repeated the lie before the study had even been peer reviewed, and then hours later Trump started crowing about hydroxy and the entire world was fuckin' stuck with that bullshit for months and months and months. Countries spent millions of dollars buying up available stock, patients who needed hydroxychloroquine for genuine medical reasons faced shortages, fuckwits started ingesting fish tank cleaner because it included chloroquine (one guy died, it looks like his wife was aware it was poison but convinced him to take it), Trump announced he was taking it as a precaution against covid and told the nation "Just take it. What have you got to lose?" and millions of people chose it over the actual vaccines.

The International society which publishes the journal which the French study was submitted to decided not to print it, rejecting it because it didn't meet basic standards.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

To me the funniest covid thing was WWE's response to it.

Some grifter sold them a "covid spray" that acted like, and I quote "a sword that punctures the cell wall of the virus, or what causes a virus, and kills it on contact. The spray creates a coating that lasts 90-120 days, and lasts through the work they’re doing and through any other cleaning they do."

WWE proceeded to have more than 30 cases of covid over the course of like 2 weeks.

It's funny because it's incredibly stupid but at least nobody died directly from that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d57zJr82dhQ

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYEQOa_DIE

Also the leaked story that his original plan for leaving the hospital was to tear open his shirt to reveal the Superman logo underneath LOL LOL LOL

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 20, 2021

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the gal gadot video was possibly the cringiest thing to happen

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Gone Fashing posted:

the gal gadot video was possibly the cringiest thing to happen

gently caress you for reminding me about that

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The official NYC dept of health communication about how to minimize roni transmission while fuckin

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the whole period from like March to may of last year seems like a weird fever dream of cringe. the gal gadot thing, tiktok nurses, people singing on balconies, banging pots and pans for healthcare workers

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We didn't have it here. But I remember hearing about "Leave your porch lights on for the graduates." last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm a fan of the sturgis spike that brought covid to the red states. That was funny.