Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if you could group select and tell them all to go over there rather than having to do them individually. Even if they all had to be on different tiles, it would still great reduce the micromanagement aspect

this. they all start bumping into each other like minions or something. I send 12 units across the map but then they all start tripping on their dicks and I have to give new orders every turn and in the end 3 of them have wandered off into the arctic circle or something because there was another unit on their spot and so they decided to find a new way there. really tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
playing as Korea on deity: how the F does Macedon get 152 science/turn by 150AD :psypop:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ex post facho posted:

playing as Korea on deity: how the F does Macedon get 152 science/turn by 150AD :psypop:

The AI cheats and just gets extra of every yield. On top of that Macedon likely conquered a few of its closest neighbors. Just do your best. And play it out, you'll be surprised at how often the AI should be winning, and just doesn't.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I won my first diety game by picking Maori on a splintered fractal map. Easy expansion early!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ex post facho posted:

As there are no changes to the AI's actual competency though, it's still primarily a matter of not dying to an early rush as they're not exactly long-term planners. Or military strategists.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 6, 2021

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ex post facho posted:

There is a mod you can subscribe to that gives you the same bonuses as the AI does, it's called "Human AI Yields": https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2236188230
It's totally unbalanced of course but it is fun to try out and see how insane your civ can become. It also exposes (if you haven't already noticed) how completely and utterly worthless the AI is at playing this game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Waging war as a large empire against another large empire always sounds fun in my head until I actually start it. It's always such a slog with the moving of units and things.

I don't mind if I have bombers.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Well this was weird. TSL Earth map, standard size and I didn't add any extra civs, so I don't know why this happened. I confess I was beaten to the settling punch the first time around, but then I restarted and captured the settler (just having my unit spawn on top of it didn't result in capture). Sadly I didn't get any points for conquering her capitol.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Yeah, with the firaxis maps it's better to pick the AI civs yourself to give each one some space to grow. This means only 1 or 2 European civs though, even on the huge map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZPmQslq_wc

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 8, 2021

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

showbiz_liz posted:

Well this was weird. TSL Earth map, standard size and I didn't add any extra civs, so I don't know why this happened. I confess I was beaten to the settling punch the first time around, but then I restarted and captured the settler (just having my unit spawn on top of it didn't result in capture). Sadly I didn't get any points for conquering her capitol.

I had this happen just the other day on a standard terra map.

Bad day for Matt I guess.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Played for the first time since the portugal drop and goddamn they're a money making machine. I'm at ~1300 gold per turn at turn 100 (online speed), and I don't have anything to spend it on.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

This happens in the standard TSL North Africa sometimes and Europe fairly often (I have been doing a "win each Civ with TSL maps" run). It's dumb but I *never* get tired of having the free settler that early.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: Nvm.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm poo poo at this game, but had a fun start to a Joao game where I started almost next to Paititi, which was on desert.
So I settled it, rushed Petra and then got a Preserve and Grove and hooboy did that city poo poo out Culture like nothing else.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Which game modes do you guys recommend for people new to Civ 6? I only tried the zombies one so far (got my poo poo pushed in lol).

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Heroes and legends is fun as hell. Barbs lets you buy a military and get them to gently caress of if they are too much.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

poe meater posted:

Which game modes do you guys recommend for people new to Civ 6? I only tried the zombies one so far (got my poo poo pushed in lol).

I always do Secret Societies, Heroes and Legends, Clans, and Corporations, because those are the ones that feel like just additions to the base game. The others turn it, to varying degrees, into a different game altogether - which can still be fun of course.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

If you're new TBH I'd keep them all turned off, I think they all change the game enough that it would distort things as a newbie. Get a game or two in (or at least a few hundred turns, to get a feel for it) then try out new modes one at a time.

Personally I always play with the tech shuffler as a way to spice things up, and often play with barbarian clans and secret societies.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I ALWAYS play with Barbarian Clans at this point.....it just turns something that is normally a stale enemy into an interesting piece of interaction throughout the game.

I am a big fan of Secret Societies and Heroes/Legends. I tend to keep Secret Societies on most of the time but only intermittently use heroes as the boost from getting Hercules or Himiko or Sinbad or Anansi can just turn the game on its head (and it just feels bad when you get stuck with Arthur or something).

Corporations is interesting in theory, but is incredibly unbalancing. You'll just occasionally get turn 90 culture victories, even on deity if you spawn in enough isolation because of how insane the tourism modifiers are.....It really needs another pass through development.

Zombies is horrible, don't play Zombies.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I also think Barbarian Clans is a must-have. It's great seeing all the weird and wonderful unique units randomly come into play even if their parent civs aren't in the game, and most my games end up with 20 city states by the end. Makes the +5% culture/science cards a bit broken mind you, they should probably be capped at max +30%.

Dramatic Ages, Apocalypse, Zombies, no interest in any of those modes. Maybe Dramatic Ages could be good but I'd just end up building a bunch of siege and melee weapons, parking them outside my cities then retaking them, and trying to guilt-free capture neighbouring cities too, probably.

Corporations mode is fun but I kinda wish you didn't get the Monopoly bonus, or maybe only after building the appropriate Product? There's so much bonus to tourism that monopolies are very much a "win harder" button, stopping the game from dragging on so much, ironically, for Monopoly.

I did enjoy Secret Societies but I think I'm done with it. Vampires are a bit silly, the castles are too good to not use, and the Vampires used by the AI are so annoying since they respawn as soon as you kill them. Vamps and great people should really be incapacitated if hit by enemies and only respawn after maybe 8 turns, since the game doesn't want their great people killed or captured.

Heroes and Legends is great and adds a lot of flavour though. Some are too good especially if you get them for 20 production early on, like Hercules or Sinbad. But using Beowulf to delete enemy units in a city - or even an enemy hero - is great. Same with Maui turning a bland flat desert into a true Petra powerhouse, or resurrecting a bunch of barbarians for your own army. I just don't know if the AI uses them properly - I've seen Anansi running around and covered my best bonuses, but never noticed if they've been deleting anything. Similarly, I've seen Beowulf around and even warred against him, but he'd neve deleted any of my units, which is a relief but disappointing. I wonder if I rely too much on crutches when I play these days, I feel like I should lay a basic boring vanilla game every now and then...

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Here is a good Palestine Mod by Durkle, a very good Civ VI modder who has made some really awesome stuff:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1588409971

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

If you haven't played Civ V in a few years, I recommend picking it up again. I've been playing it over the last few weeks, and it's so much less stressful than VI to me.

There's no religious victory, so you can actually use and enjoy the benefits of a foreign religion spreading to your empire. Religion transfers between cities at a reasonable rate so you don't have to manage a separate religion army to spread your own religion. You don't have to worry about builder charges(and you don't have to move Liang to the city before you finish producing the builder). You don't have to micromanage your government policies every 5-10 turns. The World Congress makes sense.

Really, even if you like VI; go back and try V again if you haven't touched it in a while.

Here's my suggested mod loadout.

UI
Enhanced User Interface - Adds too many quality of life changes to mention. Reduces clicks massively.
Global Relations - Shows a graph of all relations, allows you to see relations from the diplomacy screen manages city-states, and has a great luxury resource trading helper screen. This replaces the Infoaddict mod for me.
Quick Turns - Turns off unit animations that are irrelevant to you. Gives you options to select which animations to see.
Faster Aircraft Animations - No more waiting 2 minutes per air manuever.
Gibraltar, Reef, and Krakatoa Fixes - Stops certain natural wonders from appearing in unworkable tiles in the middle of the ocean.
The Timeless Art of Seduction

Game Changing
Wonder Race - Lets you know if you will be beat to a wonder.
No Penalty for Units Near Border - The world will no longer hate you because your warrior is 2 tiles away from your neighbor.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 20, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
An excellent post.

I seem to recall you're not personally a fan, but I gotta recommend the Vox Populi megamod again. It is full of balance fixes and new features.

I've found a pretty enjoyable set-up. Huge map, 12 civs, 12 city states, randomised victory conditions (i.e. only one of science, culture or diplo is made available, in the atomic era)

I'm currently sailing a giant roman navy to the opposite side of the world because persia is bullying literally everyone and becoming bigger and bigger

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
While I agree to some of those points (but you can just turn off religious victory in Civ 6, you know), I just cant civ without districts anymore

I specially miss Civ 5 world congress and ideologies

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Elias_Maluco posted:

While I agree to some of those points (but you can just turn off religious victory in Civ 6, you know), I just cant civ without districts anymore

I specially miss Civ 5 world congress and ideologies

The beyond earth let's play made me go back and play it 4-5 times. It actually was more fun than I remembered. But I just can't go back to how static the map is without districts. Same with the disaster system of gathering storm, feels too boring without it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Civ V world congress was a heartbreaker. The way the AI reacted to your actions was excellent--the AI actually had a good sense of its self interest and would react appropriately to you ramming through proposals that helped/hindered it, making it a real high water mark for being able to conduct meaningful diplomacy. But then the AI picked its own proposals at random, so you'd get your closest ally trying to ban your luxuries and then getting mad at you for not supporting its proposals.

Of course, people hated having a diplo system actually based on mutual self interest so it got tossed out along with espionage because Civ can't have good things.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

the holy poopacy posted:

But then the AI picked its own proposals at random, so you'd get your closest ally trying to ban your luxuries and then getting mad at you for not supporting its proposals.

To an extent - but the AI also proposed sanctions against its enemies, which seemed a bit less random. I wonder what the weightings are behind each resolution and what drives them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

To an extent - but the AI also proposed sanctions against its enemies, which seemed a bit less random. I wonder what the weightings are behind each resolution and what drives them.

I wonder if the AI could "see" other AI preferences and took them into account (so they would happily do things that piss off enemies), and just shafted the human player regardless because there weren't any convenient precalculated variables that told it what would make the player upset. The test of this hypothesis would be if the AI randomly puts forwards proposals targeted at hurting other AI allies, but I never paid close enough attention to say offhand if any of those miscellaneous embargoes were on things that hurt other allied nations besides me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Since I mentioned it anyway, (and because I'll always take an opportunity to mention it), the world congress is great in Vox Populi. Yeah they still try to ban luxuries from time to time but when it comes to most voting, the outcomes make sense.

In particular, when it comes to choosing a host, the AI is sensible enough to know that just voting for itself isn't going to work, so it votes strategically:

(yes, that's me shooting myself in the foot by voting for Siam)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I seem to recall you're not personally a fan, but I gotta recommend the Vox Populi megamod again. It is full of balance fixes and new features.

I don't fully remember why I bounced off of Vox Populi, but I'm thinking of trying it again when I burn out on non-Vox V. I think I didn't like how they didn't deny themselves anything in VP. Things like how so many abilities scale with era, or how each social policy does 3-5 different things, or adding new buildings for the sake of just putting in everything they could think of. I respected the hell out of the AI though. They really did a great job on that. I seem to remember how happiness works also.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I agree that districts are good, and I'm sure we will see them in future civs. But like everything else in VI, they fell victim to how gamey the game actually is. I like the idea of playing the map and making the map matter more, but I think VI failed in that attempt because it put all of the onus on the player and none on the game.

I tried to take VI seriously a couple of months ago. I sat and planned out my districts and improvements to maximize my placement. I had a good dam-aqueduct-industrial zone triangle planned out that would make for a good IZ that would power three cities in the region. I had already built my commercial districts on the river, so that it will also get the bonus from being adjacent to two districts of my triangle. Then I advanced techs and an unremovable coal resource appeared on one of those tiles. Plan destroyed. All of that planning and setting up pins is useless now.

My point is that VI doesn't even respect its own mechanics as much as it expects the player to. I had to protect my three city plan by forward settling a bit, and starting a war with a neighbor to keep them away from my planned expansion. That's fun because I have the agency to protect my plan in that scenario. I'm responsible if the plan fails. But when my meticulous plan is ruined by RNG outside of my control then my planning isn't really a plan; it's just me wasting my time, and the game disrespecting its own mechanic.

While I'm on that subject, I have to mention how much I hate global warming and flooding. It's not as bad because you can see the effects from the beginning of the game, and you have the ability to plan around it and effect it in theory. But it requires a stupid amount of attention from the player because it's an attached gimmick instead of being a mechanic the game is actually set up for. You can't readily see which tiles will flood on a glimpse of the map. You have to open a certain lens to see which tiles will flood. In a game built around planning, this is not good. I found myself going into the flood lens, and manually plucking down pins with a 1,2, or 3 flood indicator on them so I can see which tiles are going to flood when I'm on the main screen. And I'd have to repeat this process whenever I discovered any new.

If they wanted to have this mechanic then they needed to change their map. They'd need something like an Endless Legends map (where elevation can actually be seen) so that the player can determine at a glance that all of the tiles in the lowest elevation will flood. Instead they forced it in, and just added more chaos that the player must track themselves.

So yes, districts are good. Adjacency bonuses are good. Playing the map is good. But the only good thing VI actually did was introduce these as ideas. Ultimately the game betrayed all of these good ideas by disrespecting its own mechanics. I hope to see districts in VII, but I hope not to see much VI in VII.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a mod that restores the Civ V WC mechanics or turns it off entirely while keeping the rest of GS? I hate the constant interruptions to propose and vote on meaningless bullshit.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Mameluke posted:

Is there a mod that restores the Civ V WC mechanics or turns it off entirely while keeping the rest of GS? I hate the constant interruptions to propose and vote on meaningless bullshit.

There is a mod that turns off the WC completely but I forgot what it's called.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Finally finished the achievements in this game.

I am open for questions on how to complete specific achievements, as well as the inevitable enquiries after my mental health.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Wow, well done. A few of those were super RNG so I applaud your dedication.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What was the hardest achievement and how many games did you have to start to get it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Were they all on deity because if not you have to do them again

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

How many hours did you play to get them all?
What was your favourite most fun game?

Also :eyepop: seriously, well done

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
I just grabbed this on the Steam sale yesterday. I've got a load of hours into Civ 5 so I'm not new, but it seems like there's a lot of changes after all the DLC. Is there a good post or guide I can use to get up to speed quick? The OP isn't up to date and I didn't see anything going back a handful of pages.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

this is why one unit per tile was a bad design decision.

Just let armies move around as a single stack, drat. Endless Legend and Age of Wonders solved this problem a while ago.

It’s what I thought Corps and Divisions was supposed to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

What was the hardest achievement and how many games did you have to start to get it
The hardest in terms of gameplay is You're The Demonstrably Greatest - I think I took maybe 7 tries to get it done. The trick is insane micromanagement of Alexander - great generals apply the movement boost to people within range at the end of the turn, but the combat bonus at the time of the fight. So you can move Alex around within a turn and boost both your army going north through the mountains in Iran, as well as your army going south to conquer Susa and Parsa. It's still very difficult and takes liberal use of autosaves because you essentially can't afford to make a wrong move once.

The most annoying was Trans-Siberian Railroad. I didn't realize that even in a huge Pangaea map with only two players, you're likely to run out of room on your continent before you get to a 70-distance trade route. But because you basically have to play through the whole loving game before you get to that point, it was a belated realization. Inland Sea maps work much better because there's no wraparound and the continent extends all the way to the corners of the map.

I have no idea how I got Pizza Party, which is the most ridiculous RNG achievement - I got it back in 2018, so I have minimal recollection. Probably playing as America on Settler with a huge map to maximize the number of great people and the chance I would get them.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Were they all on deity because if not you have to do them again
gently caress

I've actually never won a "full" game on Deity - still working up through Immortal. My deity win was a duel against Mvemba - try to get a religion to him before he decides to crush you!

Helith posted:

How many hours did you play to get them all?
What was your favourite most fun game?

Also :eyepop: seriously, well done
1471 hours. Less than I thought, and looks worse than it is because sometimes the game is on in the background while I alt-tab to do things like "work" or "parent."

My favourite was probably my first Emperor game, as Byzantium. It was one of those games where the challenge matched my skill level perfectly. I'm usually more of a builder so it's weird that my best memories are of world-conquest games.