Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ungulateman posted:

i don't think this show is bad but it's kind of obvious that, when given the opportunity to redo things for modern audiences, they watched man of steel and went "ok we need to show what would happen if zod was winning this fight" and came up with the childishly gauche train scene

Zod was winning that fight!

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Ccs posted:

I think the train scene threatens to push Omni Man into the “can never be redeemed” territory which is a problem if him having second thoughts about killing Mark and flying off into space is supposed to be part of a Piccolo-esque redemption arc as opposed to him just going to find the other Viltrumites so someone else can kill Mark for him.

With the "can never be redeemed” thing though, If Omni Man decides he's going to stay on Earth and keep protecting it to make amends for what he's done regardless of how anyone feels about it, would anyone be able to stop him anyway?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Omni-Man is so far past the point of no return, he was literally a fascist space Nazi for hundreds, potentially thousands of years. The character we’ve been shown so far is absolutely irredeemable.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The "threatens" is like, huh? He's explicitly remorselessly a genocider. The train scene is horrifying because he does it to Mark, not because it's anything close to his worst deed ever.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

pile of brown posted:

The "threatens" is like, huh? He's explicitly remorselessly a genocider. The train scene is horrifying because he does it to Mark, not because it's anything close to his worst deed ever.

I assume we can discuss how the show differs from the comics at least now? In the comics, the fight doesn't zoom in on personal casualties as much. They clearly happen, this was a couple of years after 9/11 and the parallels are obvious. But the personal touch is derived more from Nolan effortlessly defeating Mark, not gory tragedy. He's a monster for beating up his son as much for levelling a city block.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
He is irredeemable because he is a mass murderee. But he has also saved the world and all lives on it, seemingly multiple times

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Collapsing Farts posted:

He is irredeemable because he is a mass murderee. But he has also saved the world and all lives on it, seemingly multiple times

‘The people will live under my boot alone’ isn’t a redemptive statement

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

Which is the interesting theme. Omni-Man is literally God. He was here before you were and he'll be here when you're gone, and he can save the world or destroy it as easily. This hasn't stopped billions of people in the real world worshipping and even loving God. And those who believe, believe that our lives are God's to do with as he will.

Omni-Man is illustrating a point here: God also believes that he is God. He is a benevolent protector to those who accept him but a bringer of destruction to those who refuse him, because from his perspective our lives are his. And like God, he was willing to sacrifice his only son to bring what he saw as salvation for the world. That moment on the mountain is a reverse Gethsemane: God making every possible argument to stop his son sacrificing his life for the world, and ultimately blinking when Mark refuses to yield.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ccs posted:

I think the train scene threatens to push Omni Man into the “can never be redeemed” territory which is a problem if him having second thoughts about killing Mark and flying off into space is supposed to be part of a Piccolo-esque redemption arc as opposed to him just going to find the other Viltrumites so someone else can kill Mark for him.

Vegeta has killed far more people though? Audiences don’t really care how bad someone is, as long as it’s the right sort of bad.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah, I mean we saw Omni Man wipe out an entire Alien world and no one went "wow he is irredeemable now"

An entire world

He was already on the Planetary genocide scale before he killed a train worth of people

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yeah, I mean we saw Omni Man wipe out an entire Alien world and no one went "wow he is irredeemable now"

An entire world

He was already on the Planetary genocide scale before he killed a train worth of people

Idk he seemed pretty irredeemable after the first episode.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

An entire world

I'm pretty sure the moment most anyone watching saw him take out the Guardians of the Globe, in horrifyingly cold and graphic gorey ways, people went "oh this is the bad guy, and he's hosed up."

Him taking out the whole alien planet was basically a "no, really, this dude is remorseless." Like, I almost think there's supposed to be a touch of schadenfreude to that scene because you have these rear end in a top hat war mongers who aren't giving up, but you're quickly supposed to go "oh, no, that's too much." and it kind of cements what happened to the Guardians as not just a fluke. This is just how this dude is.

(But also apparently he didn't actually take them out since apparently they're gearing up to come back again?)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure the moment most anyone watching saw him take out the Guardians of the Globe, in horrifyingly cold and graphic gorey ways, people went "oh this is the bad guy, and he's hosed up."

Him taking out the whole alien planet was basically a "no, really, this dude is remorseless." Like, I almost think there's supposed to be a touch of schadenfreude to that scene because you have these rear end in a top hat war mongers who aren't giving up, but you're quickly supposed to go "oh, no, that's too much." and it kind of cements what happened to the Guardians as not just a fluke. This is just how this dude is.

(But also apparently he didn't actually take them out since apparently they're gearing up to come back again?)

He's incredibly dangerous and he spent a few weeks destroying their planet. But he doesn't have xray vision or superhearing so it'd be very difficult getting everyone.

Also they are way worse then he is. They invade with the obvious intention of killing everyone from the get go. He's at most reflecting our own colonial past.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Might have been their homeworld, or it might have been a colony, no way to say. When you start to invade parallel universes you might be out of planets to conquer back home.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Affi posted:

Also they are way worse then he is. They invade with the obvious intention of killing everyone from the get go. He's at most reflecting our own colonial past.

He also reflects our Imperial “we need to control you so that we can make you better and safer” present

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Affi posted:

But he doesn't have xray vision or superhearing so it'd be very difficult getting everyone.

What? yes he does! :confused:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It was weeks in our time, wasn't it?

He could have been on that planet, slowly wiping everyone out, for centuries.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
A spoiler thread to discuss deviations and other events would be handy but where do we put it? Here or BSS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BSS loving hates Invincible so you do not want it there

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

do we have any ratings numbers? if we go by internet meme reaction, seems it's much more popular than expected.

yeah this thing has like 1 and a half million views. i don't know just how that translates to viewers but i think it might be a big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBiY0CL-r8

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mr Interweb posted:

What? yes he does! :confused:

Nope? He's super loving strong and fast but that's it. Probably some enhanced perception to be able to keep up with himself?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
He's got good enough senses to pick out invisible people but he's not 'track a specific heartbeat across a city' Superman good.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Shyrka posted:

He's god good enough senses to pick out invisible people but he's not 'track a specific heartbeat across a city' Superman good.

They're not invisible though. He spots them moving and firing their weapons.

Probably enhanced senses but not super senses.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Viltrumites don't have super senses, it's actually a running joke in the comics where Mark is constantly correcting people who assume he has them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It was weeks in our time, wasn't it?

He could have been on that planet, slowly wiping everyone out, for centuries.

It was a few hours in our time. Mark was all freaked out and then Deb was like "Oh it's just a regular Wednesday occurrence he will find his way back nbd" and then he does later that day.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thought of Omni-Man casually grinding out a decade worth of experience on a medium-high planet in an afternoon is positively ghoulish

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wait what? we saw him use his x-ray vision when he looked into the house across the street that had cecil's assistant (forget his name) and more soldiers. we also saw him using his superhearing when he was eavesdropping on debbie and the costume guy (also forget his name) from outside his store :confused:

edit: wait, looks like i'm wrong on the x-ray vision. the reason he went into the house across the street was cause he noticed the soldier was trying to go there

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 20, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The soldier on the ground reaches out in their dying throes for help, giving away their position. If he had X ray vision he'd have spotted them when they moved in lmao

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mr Interweb posted:

we also saw him using his superhearing when he was eavesdropping on debbie and the costume guy (also forget his name) from outside his store :confused:

No? He's hovering creepily outside? No indication he's listening to them. (Source just rewatched the episode)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Bust Rodd posted:

The thought of Omni-Man casually grinding out a decade worth of experience on a medium-high planet in an afternoon is positively ghoulish

Flaxan dimension eventually becoming the equivalent of the hyperbolic time chamber but for genocides

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

zoux posted:

BSS loving hates Invincible so you do not want it there

Why?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They think the gore is gratuitous and that it makes comic books look childish. That's my recollection anyway, I stopped posting there a long time ago.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I don't know if I wholly agree but I can understand the concern

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

zoux posted:

They think the gore is gratuitous and that it makes comic books look childish. That's my recollection anyway, I stopped posting there a long time ago.

Lol

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Comic books are childish anyway. Who cares, why not embrace it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

a Loving Dog posted:

Comic books are childish anyway. Who cares, why not embrace it

true maturity is when you stop giving a poo poo about people thinking you like "childish" things. it's your life, gently caress it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

my gosh, what even is this gratuitous trash? this pathetically puerile gorey garbage is for children and childish adults. i take my escapist wish-fulfillment violence properly sanitized of any emotional weight or intellectual honesty like an adult

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
always liked edward gorey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Wheeee posted:

my gosh, what even is this gratuitous trash? this pathetically puerile gorey garbage is for children and childish adults. i take my escapist wish-fulfillment violence properly sanitized of any emotional weight or intellectual honesty like an adult

having god shove you face-first into a train full of civilians is sanitized of emotional weight or intellectual honesty. it's the trolley problem but there's a solution and it's "god wants you to kill them all and you have no choice"