Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Akuma posted:

its hard to say because it varies a bit... All I really know is what we offer. Unfortunately I also don't think I'm supposed to talk about it... in interviews I'll freely discuss it, and also never ask people what they're currently on, we just have a conversation about what they're looking for and what we think we can provide. Sorry, I don't think I should say :/

This article looks good, though 👀
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/game-developer

I've interviewed a few people this week that have very C# heavy CVs and I've had to say the same thing to all of them - without strong C++ it's a big risk for anywhere that isn't purely working in C# to take you on because going from C# to C++ on the job is going to really limit the sorts of tasks you can take on, and thus the value you can add to the business. C++, especially in games, just presents a ton of very different problems and solutions. This is compounded even more if you don't have strong Unity to go with your C#, just a bit of hobby stuff over the years. I wouldn't offer somebody a job above entry level (see the article above) if I couldn't be reasonably sure they could do the job based on what they've done in the past, professionally or personally. The more of both you can show the less risky making an offer seems, and so the better the offer will be.

(Side note: for me interviews are more of a conversation about your past and what you want to do in the future than a series of test questions.)

Edit: oh btw Sumo has a studio in Nottingham, aptly named Sumo Nottingham, they put out Hotshot Racing late last year!
It definitely depends where you work. My studio is the best place I've ever worked, we built it to be a nice place for people, last year we won a best place to work award and was a runner up in I think 2 others, we're 50 people now and in the 6 years we've been going you can count the amount of people that have left on one hand. And we mostly work on ports!

Kind of a random question, but I feel like your perspective would be valuable: when you see References available upon request. at the end of a CV / resume, what goes through your mind? Is omitting explicit contact information a red flag to you? Or are details like that even on your radar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I’ve never put my references on my CV application unless they have a weird process that forces you to do it.

In the UK at least I never even get asked for them until pretty late in the process. Maybe that’s just the places I’ve worked though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chernabog posted:

That's true, but just because it is not your kind of game doesn't mean it can't be rewarding. I worked on a Farmville-like game which isn't something I'd ever play but it was still pretty fun to make. And yeah, work is work but there are definitely levels of engagement.

Oh sure. I just wanted to remind folks that "working in games" is not equivalent to "working on your favorite game(s)". Sometimes (and I'm not saying that necessarily happened here) people forget that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Studio posted:

Games are fun, but if someone is going in with the attitude "I'm okay losing half my paycheck for a Games Job because games are so fun," it sounds like a recipe for disaster. It's still a job, quite often isn't fun, and has a notoriously awful work life balance. It's cool and exciting to see stuff revealed and events, but if you really want to make a game and are okay with a paycut, I feel like a better option is to just save money and try and run a micro project while inbetween jobs.

I didn't say it was fun. I said I was spending my day job wanting to go home to work on my personal projects, which are obviously work too.

Honestly a little surprised that there's so much hostility in this thread. Having multiple people respond with "maybe you shouldn't" seems like exactly anathema to the point of this thread.

Akuma posted:

What the gently caress

This is some really weird advice. Oh you want to work in games as your day job? Have you considered working your preferred job in your spare time in addition to your day job instead?

Don't listen to this, Zaphod. Follow your dreams.

Thanks. It seems hosed to me too.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I didn't say it was fun. I said I was spending my day job wanting to go home to work on my personal projects, which are obviously work too.

I mean... I work in games and this still describes my situation. :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mutata posted:

I mean... I work in games and this still describes my situation. :shrug:

Sure, but "you don't have creative freedom" is a very different situation from "you want to have fun at work" and that's a pretty gross misrepresentation of what I said.

Y'all are being weirdly mean.

I've said this before but lots of people jump to conclusions; I have actually worked on a game before professionally. It was a lot of interesting engineering work and meetings that I enjoyed more than some other jobs. We just didn't end up shipping because the project was overly ambitious and got cancelled. I don't need y'all to tell me what I do or do not want, thanks.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 19, 2021

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
It's definitely a risk. I think that on balance though I'd rather work on a game that's not my jam than "business database & API no. 521". :v:

Thanks for the response Akuma, like I say I'm not in the market right now, but it's good to get some insight into the UK games industry from the inside.

I guess I'll just keep on plugging at personal projects in Unity while I work, and see how I go if I do end up looking for another job in the future. Maybe if I feel adventurous I'll have a crack at something in C++!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Sure, but "you don't have creative freedom" is a very different situation from "you want to have fun at work" and that's a pretty gross misrepresentation of what I said.

Y'all are being weirdly mean.

I've said this before but lots of people jump to conclusions; I have actually worked on a game before professionally. It was a lot of interesting engineering work and meetings that I enjoyed more than some other jobs. We just didn't end up shipping because the project was overly ambitious and got cancelled. I don't need y'all to tell me what I do or do not want, thanks.

I mean, what I'm saying is that neither do I have creative freedom, nor do I have fun at work. But fine, what you originally said was "I'm willing to take a 50% pay cut to work in games" which you're obviously at liberty to say and do, we ain't your dads, but we're also allowed to grimace at that statement in general and read into it. Having worked in games yourself, you're well aware that people who take that mindset often times create lots of problems for themselves and others and get taken advantage of, so I think we're speaking to that mindset.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mutata posted:

I mean, what I'm saying is that neither do I have creative freedom, nor do I have fun at work.

...I know. That's the point? What about my last post makes you think I misunderstood this?

mutata posted:

But fine, what you originally said was "I'm willing to take a 50% pay cut to work in games" which you're obviously at liberty to say and do, we ain't your dads, but we're also allowed to grimace at that statement in general and read into it. Having worked in games yourself, you're well aware that people who take that mindset often times create lots of problems for themselves and others and get taken advantage of, so I think we're speaking to that mindset.

Jesus christ dude. Just leave me alone, please. I literally have one goon making GBS threads on me for saying "I hope I can make more" and other goons telling me "expect to make nothing" and you're making GBS threads on me for saying that I'd be willing to take less? I cannot win with this thread, I swear.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

...I know. That's the point? What about my last post makes you think I misunderstood this?

Literally your entire post, then. I have no clue what point you're trying to make anymore, to be honest.

Zaphod42 posted:

Jesus christ dude. Just leave me alone, please. I literally have one goon making GBS threads on me for saying "I hope I can make more" and other goons telling me "expect to make nothing" and you're making GBS threads on me for saying that I'd be willing to take less? I cannot win with this thread, I swear.

I am not doing any of those, as I explained. Sorry you're taking it so personally. Good luck in your job hunt. The video games industry sucks at hiring generally and it takes a long time and is very painful and that's a shame.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Akuma posted:

What the gently caress

This is some really weird advice. Oh you want to work in games as your day job? Have you considered working your preferred job in your spare time in addition to your day job instead?

Don't listen to this, Zaphod. Follow your dreams.

I said between jobs <:mad:>. I'm going to jump the conclusion that if you're okay leaving for half pay, that you're able to finance yourself and insurance for a noticeable amount of time.

Akuma posted:

Right. Especially when Zaphod42 has already been working in non-games for years.

Studio's projecting there. Maybe you shouldn't be in games if you hate it so much :mad:

I'm not (but only for a few months :getin:).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mutata posted:

I mean, what I'm saying is that neither do I have creative freedom, nor do I have fun at work. But fine, what you originally said was "I'm willing to take a 50% pay cut to work in games" which you're obviously at liberty to say and do, we ain't your dads, but we're also allowed to grimace at that statement in general and read into it. Having worked in games yourself, you're well aware that people who take that mindset often times create lots of problems for themselves and others and get taken advantage of, so I think we're speaking to that mindset.

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you're both kind of speaking past each other here. I don't think mutata means to talk down to you, Zaphod--they're speaking to a general mindset that can cause people to get into bad situations trying to work in games. But at the same time I think some people in this thread are being unnecessarily negative and making assumptions about Zaphod's situation when it seems that Zaphod knows what he's getting into and is doing it with clear eyes.

Which is just a long way of doing the moderator thing where I go "be nice to each other, there's no need to fight :shobon:"

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

If you're working a creative job and feel you're not paid well and also you don't enjoy it then maybe the problem is your job and not the entire industry.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Akuma posted:

If you're working a creative job and feel you're not paid well and also you don't enjoy it then maybe the problem is your job and not the entire industry.

I appreciate that you're a positive voice, and believe it or not I often fill that role too. This point is a bit weird to me, though, because that's basically what has been said: There are bad jobs in the industry. I don't really see anyone arguing that "Games industry is bad!" here, just that the mindset of "I need to get a games industry job at any cost, even if I have to severely undervalue myself" leads people to take bad jobs at bad companies and get taken advantage of. You've obviously had some great experiences in 'following your dreams'. Some of us most definitely have NOT.

The statement is to know your worth and not settle for bad industry jobs.

That said, if you're speaking directly to me (and you may not be, there's lots of talking past people going on, myself included), I'll add that my job is, in fact, fantastic and I'm extremely grateful to have it, BUT ALSO I have issues with it, which I feel is a very realistic and healthy thing to be aware of and articulate to people who are seeking to get into the industry.

(I'll also add that none of this is directed at Zaphod, I'm speaking generally now).

Edit: vvv Fair enough!

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 19, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mutata posted:

just that the mindset of "I need to get a games industry job at any cost, even if I have to severely undervalue myself" leads people to take bad jobs at bad companies and get taken advantage of. You've obviously had some great experiences in 'following your dreams'. Some of us most definitely have NOT.

The statement is to know your worth and not settle for bad industry jobs.

(I'll also add that none of this is directed at Zaphod, I'm speaking generally now).

I know you just said this wasn't directed at me, and I kinda want this whole thing to just move on, but at risk of opening a can of worms I wanted to just say something,

We live in a hosed up capitalist economy. I am making seriously 4x what my friends make as a back-end software engineer. Taking 50% of that (which was being slightly hyperbolic, I'm not writing a college paper here I'm speaking off the cuff), I'd still be better paid than some of my friends who are artists. Now, they deserve more, but so does the guy who works really hard as a janitor. I don't have kids to support. So just saying in a nutshell that because I'd be willing to take much less than what I make right now, you really can't make any objective determination about what that exactly means. Assuming that means I'd work for peanuts and would thus destroy the industry rate is not really fair.

Also, as I mentioned last page, I hadn't gotten to salary negotiation yet, but you can figure I wouldn't start by saying "Hey I'll take this job for basically nothing!". That was just me expressing that I wasn't holding out for more pay or something. I've done some research about the going rates in this area and would start with what I think is fair for those positions, which would be less than what I was making before but still plenty to live off.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I have what I suspect many people would consider the perfect games job: I co-founded a company that's been trucking along for 8.5 years now. For the past few months, a non-trivial portion of my job is literally "ideas guy" who just spends the day writing up and pitching insane things. I'm paid well and love my job.

But there are some days where I would take a 50% pay cut to do ANYTHING ELSE because oh god is it draining. No matter how much I love this line of work, at the end of the day it's still very much work with all that that entails.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I feel my current job is a strong mix as described by devilmouse. There are some months where I get to go nuts and design/build a new toolset in a largely unexplored space with a loose deadline -- I love that. Then there are definitely a few sprints where my job is to update unit tests and build verification. It's definitely still on average the most enjoyable career I've had in my life.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

I know you just said this wasn't directed at me, and I kinda want this whole thing to just move on, but at risk of opening a can of worms I wanted to just say something,

We live in a hosed up capitalist economy. I am making seriously 4x what my friends make as a back-end software engineer. Taking 50% of that (which was being slightly hyperbolic, I'm not writing a college paper here I'm speaking off the cuff), I'd still be better paid than some of my friends who are artists. Now, they deserve more, but so does the guy who works really hard as a janitor. I don't have kids to support. So just saying in a nutshell that because I'd be willing to take much less than what I make right now, you really can't make any objective determination about what that exactly means. Assuming that means I'd work for peanuts and would thus destroy the industry rate is not really fair.

Also, as I mentioned last page, I hadn't gotten to salary negotiation yet, but you can figure I wouldn't start by saying "Hey I'll take this job for basically nothing!". That was just me expressing that I wasn't holding out for more pay or something. I've done some research about the going rates in this area and would start with what I think is fair for those positions, which would be less than what I was making before but still plenty to live off.

Have you ever imagined yourself as an entrepreneur? If you have that much disposable income you might be able to pay skilled freelancers to do most of your development work for you. You'd still be making games 'on the side', but your production speed would be a lot faster. I followed your VR development a little bit and saw that you utilize asset stores (which is smart!), but have you ever thought to expand on that idea by outsourcing more complex forms of labor?

(Totally just brainstorming, and trying to encourage someone who I can relate to, at least in terms of balancing pursuits of passion with professional output :) ).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mkvltra posted:

Have you ever imagined yourself as an entrepreneur? If you have that much disposable income you might be able to pay skilled freelancers to do most of your development work for you. You'd still be making games 'on the side', but your production speed would be a lot faster. I followed your VR development a little bit and saw that you utilize asset stores (which is smart!), but have you ever thought to expand on that idea by outsourcing more complex forms of labor?

(Totally just brainstorming, and trying to encourage someone who I can relate to, at least in terms of balancing pursuits of passion with professional output :) ).

I thought about it a little bit but I'm really just not a business type guy. I'm a programmer through and through, and the more time I spend on things that aren't code the more unhappy I am.

I would be pretty miserable as even an engineering manager, much less trying to really run a whole small business myself. I just don't think its for me.

I can design systems and lead teams of programmers but I don't want to be managing hires or negotiating contractors or stuff like that. Just not my strong suit :shobon: I'd probably just make some big mistakes. And I'd want to compensate everybody appropriately so even for what money I can make, I'd have to save up a bit to be able to really pay people a proper salary. I guess contractors could take a few different small jobs so you don't necessarily have to be their whole means of living, but... just stresses me out to think about.

Just doing the paperwork to set up my own LLC to try to get on Steam had me feeling overwhelmed. The IRS has me roadblocked right now and I hate every minute of dealing with it.

But, if I can't get a games job then I'll probably end up working general software and continuing to tool around on personal projects so who knows what exactly the future holds.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh sure. I just wanted to remind folks that "working in games" is not equivalent to "working on your favorite game(s)". Sometimes (and I'm not saying that necessarily happened here) people forget that.

Some of my favorite games to work on were in genres or styles of games I wouldn't normally play (character action games). I also have zero interest in working on games I like to play (RPGs).

Also, licensed games can be a lot of fun to work on with the appropriate license. When I worked on a Wolverine game, Marvel sent us a ton of digital Wolverine comics, so during preproduction I got to spend a lot of time just reading Wolverine comics.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

devilmouse posted:

I have what I suspect many people would consider the perfect games job: I co-founded a company that's been trucking along for 8.5 years now. For the past few months, a non-trivial portion of my job is literally "ideas guy" who just spends the day writing up and pitching insane things. I'm paid well and love my job.

But there are some days where I would take a 50% pay cut to do ANYTHING ELSE because oh god is it draining. No matter how much I love this line of work, at the end of the day it's still very much work with all that that entails.

Congratulations on making it! But yeah, having to make decisions is exhausting. I think the real dream job is basically what you do, except that there's someone else who can pick up the slack if you decide to knock off early today, tomorrow, or the entire next month. :v:

I've been doing the entrepreneurial thing for my game. I'm at nearly two years of full-time development, have most of another year left to go before it's done, and haven't seen a cent of income yet. I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to do this, but my god the requirements to pivot a career to indie are high. And so are the risks. It's entirely possible that I'll launch this thing and get like 500 sales (enough to make back maybe 15% of my direct costs, let alone my cost of living, opportunity cost of living, etc.) and that's it!

Chainclaw posted:

Some of my favorite games to work on were in genres or styles of games I wouldn't normally play (character action games). I also have zero interest in working on games I like to play (RPGs).

Also, licensed games can be a lot of fun to work on with the appropriate license. When I worked on a Wolverine game, Marvel sent us a ton of digital Wolverine comics, so during preproduction I got to spend a lot of time just reading Wolverine comics.

Good point. There are also some surprisingly good licensed games out there. Hell, there's a lot of every kind of game out there.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought about it a little bit but I'm really just not a business type guy. I'm a programmer through and through, and the more time I spend on things that aren't code the more unhappy I am.
That's one of the truly weird aspects of career advancement in a lot of jobs, especially ours; get better and better at something you love until you aren't supposed to do it anymore.

I missed it for a while, but eventually you end up getting the same sort of problem solving satisfaction from solving other kinds of problems. Most other Technical Directors say the same thing, really. At the same time only maybe 2 out of my 20+ programmers say they would ever want to leave it behind... It is weird. I guess I do get a bit of a thrill out of coding again whenever it rarely happens.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ideally a place will have an individual contributor and non-IC career path for most roles. So for coding you would have a split at some point between engineering manager versus senior engineer. I know some game studios don't do this, the previous place I worked at didn't do that for the first few years I was there. They eventually created that split later because the downsides of not having it end up pretty huge. Situations where your strong engineers who don't actually like people managing end up as people managers because it's the only clear progression.

It's harder to have that split at smaller studios, you tend to need to wear a lot of hats in those cases.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Chainclaw posted:

Ideally a place will have an individual contributor and non-IC career path for most roles. So for coding you would have a split at some point between engineering manager versus senior engineer. I know some game studios don't do this, the previous place I worked at didn't do that for the first few years I was there. They eventually created that split later because the downsides of not having it end up pretty huge. Situations where your strong engineers who don't actually like people managing end up as people managers because it's the only clear progression.

It's harder to have that split at smaller studios, you tend to need to wear a lot of hats in those cases.
For us that split happens after Senior, at Lead Programmer vs Principal Programmer, but from Senior we let people that want to go down either (or neither) track do some line management if they want to whether they want to be Lead or Principal or neither (although it's highly encouraged for people who want to be Lead.) We have quite a long and well defined road for advancement; Sumo's very serious (as I'm sure lots of big orgs are) about that. Some people don't want to manage people at all, some people don't want to make big architecture decisions at all, some people want to manage people but not make the big decisions... You need to let people follow their own path.

It did take a while before we had people who wanted to be part of that structure, because I'd never dream of coercing somebody into managing people if they don't want to. That won't end well. At one point I had 16 direct reports because of this and let me tell you, that doesn't work.

There is something simple and kind of freeing when you're at 15 people or less in the company. It's quite a different vibe to 50.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 19, 2021

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I skipped a page ahead but working in games is not worth working 60 hours. Crunch is literally killing you. It's a loving job, they're asking you to ruin yourself for bullshit you don't care about because you like Zelda. Don't do it. Better yet, organize your workplace.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

more falafel please posted:

I skipped a page ahead but working in games is not worth working 60 hours. Crunch is literally killing you. It's a loving job, they're asking you to ruin yourself for bullshit you don't care about because you like Zelda. Don't do it. Better yet, organize your workplace.
Was somebody saying they work 60 hours and that's just the way it is??

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
This thread went off the rails holy poo poo.

Personally I can't imagine working in any other industry, and that's knowing my salary would likely double. For the most part it's always interesting and challenging, and the people awesome. For the most part.

In 14 years I've been through:

* Intense prolonged crunch
* Multiple layoffs due to studios shutting down
* Unbelievable sketchy poo poo and toxic workplace that made me question my entire life (I worked at CIG for a year)
* Co-dev studio that worked on massive AAA titles, but was the most bored I've ever been in my life at work

Luckily the above is the minority of my career, the rest has been amazing, including my current studio which is unbelievably amazing. Benefits (every other friday off!), projects, people, all absolutely amazing and it reminds me that with good leaders this industry can be as good as it should be to its devs.

peonic
Jun 14, 2006
SysAdmin of the Apocalypse
If anyone is looking for a low-entry-bar "foot in the door" type role, we're hiring for a Junior IT Technician at Ninja Theory.

It's studio based (Cambridge, UK) with no option for remote working - but we're not looking for much in the way of previous commercial experience - would suit a competent hobbyist that has built their own PC / fixed Grandma's WiFi / knows which end of a screwdriver to hold...

https://apply.workable.com/ninja-theory/j/10F9C373D2/

If you wanna know more, drop me an email - peonic /at/ gmail.com

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
As a software engineer, working in games you will typically make less than you would in random finance or tech industry job. But 50% is huge gap. I realize we are just throwing out numbers without data but multiple folks have said "half" or "50%". I think that's a bad thing to normalize or accept. There is no good reason people should take that much less just to work in games. Especially considering the skill/talent bar are higher, not lower.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Yeah in my experience you don’t need to settle for half. Turned down a boring big-Tech role in my recent search and that was only 20% higher or so than the games job I accepted.

Edit: On the other hand, one tech director literally laughed at my number when he asked about comp. gently caress that guy!

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Being a bit hyperbolic yes, but there was a time when tech outside of games was literally double my pay at any given time. I feel like the gap has lessened quite a bit over time as the industry catches up, as well as the higher up I personally get in my role.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DancingMachine posted:

As a software engineer, working in games you will typically make less than you would in random finance or tech industry job. But 50% is huge gap. I realize we are just throwing out numbers without data but multiple folks have said "half" or "50%". I think that's a bad thing to normalize or accept. There is no good reason people should take that much less just to work in games. Especially considering the skill/talent bar are higher, not lower.

Zaphod42 posted:

50% of that (which was being slightly hyperbolic, I'm not writing a college paper here I'm speaking off the cuff)

Comeon, this is like tone policing. I really hate this SA thing of attacking one specific word of a post while ignoring the general context and message. You gotta read the whole post if you're gonna reply.

And again, we should be so lucky. Plenty of other people working good hard jobs making a lot less. One person jokingly saying "half" in a goon thread isn't going to upset the balance of pay across the industry.

I don't know about you, but I see threads as an informal conversation. I'm not proof-reading my posts, are you? You gotta take it in the spirit of which its said.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 21, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Sumo Group just came 59th out of the top 100 UK Companies! Now we're having a quiz hosted by Dominic Diamond to celebrate.

If you want to come and work for Sumo because it's super cool, check out our careers!

https://www.sumo-digital.com/jobs-at-sumo/

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

DancingMachine posted:

I more than doubled my total comp by my move from games to games technology. I could probably earn more at one of the tech majors, but I like being adjacent to the industry still.

Role/responsibility did not dramatically increase for the change in salary.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Something of a long shot post but I'm helping my wife out hoping maybe someone here fits the description or knows how to find someone that does. She's an IT recruiter and volunteered to try and fill some Blizzard/Activision positions.

They are working on porting COD to mobile and are looking to fill 20 remote positions that are skilled Mobile/UI Developers - experience in any program language is fine. Pay is up to $150k/yr. The skills they are looking for are:

- 3-5 years as a Developer that has been involved in full cycle development from programming to shipping UI/Mobile Games specifically AAA titles
-Mobile (iOS/Android) Gaming experience particularly any UI language for helping to create the menus/scoreboards/dashboards for AAA and mobile games
-Contributed on at least one Mobile title as a UI Programmer or equivalent
-Demonstrated ability to write clean, readable, portable, reliable, and optimized code on multi-platform projects as well as advanced understanding of UI content pipeline and tools
-FPS & Third Person Shooting experience is most ideal but will consider others from a similar background, such as Mobile Racing & Mobile Sports, etc.

You can pm me or reach out to my wife directly at with your resume joy.fahs@hays.com

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I very much doubt there are 20 people in the world that meet all of those requirements, especially the first and the last one. I always find it puzzling when hiring managers set requirements at a level that means they'll be waiting a year or two before they find somebody if they find anyone at all. It's fine if you don't actually need to fill the position and just want to have something open in case somebody perfect comes along, but that is rarely the case. Usually you have a team to build and a project timeline to meet.

The people they actually end up hiring for those positions I am guessing will meet criteria more like
- has some realtime 3d game dev experience
- has some mobile development experience
- has some UI development experience
(but probably not all 3 on the same project)

And even then they are not gonna build a team of 20 people that all meet all 3 of those requirements.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DancingMachine posted:

I very much doubt there are 20 people in the world that meet all of those requirements, especially the first and the last one. I always find it puzzling when hiring managers set requirements at a level that means they'll be waiting a year or two before they find somebody if they find anyone at all. It's fine if you don't actually need to fill the position and just want to have something open in case somebody perfect comes along, but that is rarely the case. Usually you have a team to build and a project timeline to meet.

The people they actually end up hiring for those positions I am guessing will meet criteria more like
- has some realtime 3d game dev experience
- has some mobile development experience
- has some UI development experience
(but probably not all 3 on the same project)

And even then they are not gonna build a team of 20 people that all meet all 3 of those requirements.

Nah a lot more. When I was at King almost everyone at the studio had console experience as well. Hell a dozen or so from Monolith with Shadow of War alone.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

My overall experience watching my wife work over the past almost 18 months since we've been wfh is that when a company is overly ambitions in their hiring criteria and have passed on all candidates presented initially they become more pliable and pick up the candidates the recruiters feel are what closest to what they are looking for but that's a whole other story.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hey folks! Any build engineers looking for work or open to a change in the West Midlands of England? We have an opening! Respond here or hit me up if you want more info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Anyone got any advice for being the sole QA tester on a project that feels like it is rapidly getting unmanageable. To me it feels like there's never enough time allotted for bugfixing in my opinion and they always sort of fob me off when I say that. They prefer to work on new things to "finishing off" old stuff (and we're still in prepro so obviously "finishing off" isn't the right word but like, getting stuff to a point where it at least stands up ready for more work later in production and fixing massive bugs, they prefer getting new features in to that). It seems like they've been told they had to have an internal QA team of some description by the publisher (which is in fact the case) and don't want to change up how they actually work in any way really.

Right now I have to sort out and pick an outsourced QA company that we aren't planning on using for 5 months, I have to prepare test cases for myself and the future testers I'm getting in the near future, probably a bit late to make much difference this last prepro milestone but that will make things a bit easier and also compose a test strategy document for the publisher. Then obviously the actual testing of a full game complete with multiplayer that nobody ever has time to play with me except usually in the last two weeks of a milestone at the same time everything else is getting added so everything falls on me at once and even then only for an hour or so a day, if I'm lucky. When they implement new features there's never a sanity check that it works in multiplayer so pretty much everything gets implemented twice ultimately.

Today one of the gameplay designers asked me to start "really focusing on the combat" because there are some bugs that have been around for ages apparently, "like a bad smell". I'm sure I've logged everything I've seen but there's only so much I can check. Right now it feels like nobody else plays the game at all, just their little corners of it without looking at the whole. I know I shouldn't expect anyone else to log bugs since that is my job but they could at least take a video or something if they see some poo poo so that I have something to go on for an investigation and can log something better than "this sometimes happens" without flailing in the dark for ages. I agreed to focus on the combat but must admit it pissed me off a bit because I'm pretty much at the end of my tether four months into this job.

I just feel like poo poo pretty much every day and when a slack message pops up I can feel my stress flaring up even if it ends up being something good so I constantly have this stressed out feeling and I know it's only going to get harder in the future too.