Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Giggle Goose posted:

This would actually be a really interesting mechanic. Imagine if the Chaos factions could "corrupt" Order factions to the point that they joined Chaos. Would help clean up the order tide problem while also making the player much more wary about leaving that Flanders-sized border unguarded cause their best bud who would never betray them controls the other side...

If corruption is more than just an "only the player suffers from this in any way" annoyance, perhaps. I'm hoping they've realized that Chaos and Vamp corruption are both really lackluster and more of an annoyance than actually being interesting.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they model lords falling to Chaos and poo poo, but I'm not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Giggle Goose posted:

This would actually be a really interesting mechanic. Imagine if the Chaos factions could "corrupt" Order factions to the point that they joined Chaos. Would help clean up the order tide problem while also making the player much more wary about leaving that Flanders-sized border unguarded cause their best bud who would never betray them controls the other side...

sounds suspiciously like diplomacy to me!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've never read any of the Warhammer Fantasy lore, what is the starting point for the books? I tried googling it but just turn up a bunch of books that are all out of print.

I tried Dan Abnetts 40k Eisenhorn stuff and it was fine.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

all of the RPG stuff is great for lore

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

The Gunslinger posted:

I've never read any of the Warhammer Fantasy lore, what is the starting point for the books? I tried googling it but just turn up a bunch of books that are all out of print.

IMO Eisenhorn is top of the line for Black Library stuff. The books about Schwarzhelm and Helborg are great if you like the Empire.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Babe Magnet posted:

all of the RPG stuff is great for lore

Yeah, the Army Books are all kind of rubbish to read for interesting fiction, but the RPG books (specially 1E and 2E) do have a lot of flavor about interesting corners of the setting, but have to be read with the consideration that the setting has been retconned multiple times since they were published, so they are of questionable canon for the setting as it is now. For example, 1E was made back when the Empire was medieval HRE and Bretonnia was enlightenment France. 2E was set after the Storm of Chaos which was retconned and replaced by the End Times. 4E as an active line is more in tune with the world as presented by contemporary GW, but also doesn't have many books to its name anyway, what it does have is a lot of lore about places to drink in Reikland.

That said, it is very clear that the writers for TWW are fond of the 1E and 2E RPG lines, most of the human and Dwarf followers are career paths from those editions, plus there are several landmarks that reference places from them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gotrek and Felix books are at least readable to good and they contain everyone's favorite rat bastard Thanquol.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ive read a lot of the 2e rpg books and they manage to paint a pretty engaging picture of the various societies, theyre pretty influential in that regard

they dont have anything for quite a few of the races tho, mostly the ones that obviously dont have much depth to them in tww like elves and lizardmen (HEH)

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Night10194 had a whole series of awesome posts in the FATAL and Friends thread in Trad Games, going through the various WHFRPG books, including the Kislev one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758962&pagenumber=500&perpage=40&userid=0#post475587012

Grumio fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 20, 2021

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Shout out to the Old World Bestiary, one of the best rpg books ever made and just all around fun to read. It's presented as an in world tome, with a description of all kinds of creatures by the writer, a commoner's view, an expert's view and in the case of sentient beings, their own view. Most of the commentators are recurring characters, most memorable being an Eshin "scholar" who just recommends different types of poisons.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the skaven fluff is pretty great for the most part

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

The Gunslinger posted:

Gotrek and Felix is pulpy trash and very enjoyable. The only real issue is the first book, which being published as a series of short stories with a loose connecting thread, feels the tiresome need to introduce both characters like they're aliens to the audience every time, It's more jarring than the first Witcher book. Still, the characters are very enjoyable. I'm on Skaven Slayer (book 2) and I'm really liking it.

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, the Army Books are all kind of rubbish to read for interesting fiction, but the RPG books (specially 1E and 2E) do have a lot of flavor about interesting corners of the setting, but have to be read with the consideration that the setting has been retconned multiple times since they were published, so they are of questionable canon for the setting as it is now. For example, 1E was made back when the Empire was medieval HRE and Bretonnia was enlightenment France. 2E was set after the Storm of Chaos which was retconned and replaced by the End Times. 4E as an active line is more in tune with the world as presented by contemporary GW, but also doesn't have many books to its name anyway, what it does have is a lot of lore about places to drink in Reikland.

That said, it is very clear that the writers for TWW are fond of the 1E and 2E RPG lines, most of the human and Dwarf followers are career paths from those editions, plus there are several landmarks that reference places from them.

The vermintide writers happily crack jokes and have lots of fun with the setting. Saltzpyre talking about having dreams of being a steam tank driver (a vehicle that only had a dozen ever made and only 8 that could ever work) is kind of silly, it's like someone saying they wanted to grow up to be in the Challenger today

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Kazzah posted:

You'd think there would have to be some ur-grog somewhere, but there isn't, it just goes on forever.

Typical faithless atheist the people of the faith know the answers to such mysteries. There is but One. It is He who created a 1:1 scale model of the entirety of the cosmos. He who has painted every model from the largest of galaxies to the smallest subatomic particle. Alpha and Omega, Grog Almighty.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My computer is an acer predator laptop. This game is running hot as gently caress on it. Idk why but my poo poo is like 97 degrees. Capped ram use and next I am going to put everything on medium settings I guess. Any advice to not have this poo poo melt my computer?

Edit: I've redone my thermal paste and it is elevated on a mesh stand so it has good airflow. The dust was cleaned out earlier this year.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
please ignore me uploading a weird pic here i swear its for a noble cause (maybe)

and i cant remove it either so you must all stare at how ugly it is, anyways rats are cool anything not rat isnt thanks

e: lol the worst part is it didnt even work for my nefarious agenda, oh well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 20, 2021

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

vandalism posted:

My computer is an acer predator laptop. This game is running hot as gently caress on it. Idk why but my poo poo is like 97 degrees. Capped ram use and next I am going to put everything on medium settings I guess. Any advice to not have this poo poo melt my computer?

Edit: I've redone my thermal paste and it is elevated on a mesh stand so it has good airflow. The dust was cleaned out earlier this year.
:shrug: A gaming laptop is always going to run hot as gently caress because it's a laptop and the internals will have poo poo airflow. You didn't post your specs, but while lowering your graphics settings might be a good bet, keep in mind that this game is very CPU intensive.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Anthony Reynolds books are good if you like Bretonnia. Two full novels and then short novellas

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I wonder if the fact that the Chaos factions are very clearly going to be a mix of daemonic units that crumble and mortal units that follow normal morale rules, means that some of the same pattern is going to be backported to the undead factions. I feel like it wouldn't actually be that bad if many of their beasts and stuff like ghouls and maybe the vampires might make more sense to follow normal morale rules rather than crumbling.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randarkman posted:

I wonder if the fact that the Chaos factions are very clearly going to be a mix of daemonic units that crumble and mortal units that follow normal morale rules, means that some of the same pattern is going to be backported to the undead factions. I feel like it wouldn't actually be that bad if many of their beasts and stuff like ghouls and maybe the vampires might make more sense to follow normal morale rules rather than crumbling.

The only reason I doubt it is that 8th ed changed vamps to all crumble, even ghouls and stuff, for whatever reason.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Just started a new campaign and all I could think was "... but I wanna play Elsa Katarin though".

Well, that and also that some of the older races still are lagging way behind in interesting starts. Somehow the Empire still only has three starting locations, two of which are (basically) next to each other. The Dwarves are similar (although Thorgrim and Ungrim are a bit further apart). Norsca only has two leaders, period. The Vampire Counts have four LLs that all start within two adjacent provinces. Compare that to the High Elves, who have characters basically everywhere except directly next to the Empire.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

It irks me slightly that Volkmar didn't even get a unique skill tree update with the rework. Poor game 1 DLC lords, forever unloved.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Sasgrillo posted:

It irks me slightly that Volkmar didn't even get a unique skill tree update with the rework. Poor game 1 DLC lords, forever unloved.

Not necessarily. Gelt, Kemmler, and Ungrim all got new starts (which are also all pretty fun too, to everyone's surprise). It's just the game 1 DLC lords that got shafted. It's presumably because of the "FLC for DLC for what is technically another game/another DLC" problem.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The new interpretation of Kislev is fun. It tickles me to see Catherine the Great with ice magic butt heads with the Orthodox Christian church but every priest is Rasputin. Hope if they're not in the base game then at least we get Baba Yaga Ungol hags at some point.

I wonder what the historical domain ripoffs will be for Cathay. Warhammer is set roughly in the middle of the Ming dynasty, which I don't know a heck of a lot about. Wonder if they'll reach way back and just do a Yellow Turban Rebellion, but this time Zhang Jue really is a sorcerer.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

orangelex44 posted:

Not necessarily. Gelt, Kemmler, and Ungrim all got new starts (which are also all pretty fun too, to everyone's surprise). It's just the game 1 DLC lords that got shafted. It's presumably because of the "FLC for DLC for what is technically another game/another DLC" problem.

Isn't that exactly what the post you quoted says

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Aurubin posted:

The new interpretation of Kislev is fun. It tickles me to see Catherine the Great with ice magic butt heads with the Orthodox Christian church but every priest is Rasputin. Hope if they're not in the base game then at least we get Baba Yaga Ungol hags at some point.

I wonder what the historical domain ripoffs will be for Cathay. Warhammer is set roughly in the middle of the Ming dynasty, which I don't know a heck of a lot about. Wonder if they'll reach way back and just do a Yellow Turban Rebellion, but this time Zhang Jue really is a sorcerer.

I'm guessing Cathay will have a reasonable number of gunpowder units both because every human faction except Brettonia uses them and as a nod to China being where gunpowder was discovered.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm guessing Cathay will have a reasonable number of gunpowder units both because every human faction except Brettonia uses them and as a nod to China being where gunpowder was discovered.

Probably not too many, as handheld guns don't really seem to be a thing in the slim lore we do have. Cannon and something involving fireworks is certainly in the cards though, and it's definitely possible they might get something along the line of fire lances for certain troops too. Ultimately though Cathay has a much more mystical bent than the other human nations, so expect less gunpowder units and more mythological creatures and magical constructs.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm going to be real mad if the dragon emperor isn't a literal playable dragon

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

I'm wondering if he's going to be a Malus type situation. We'll see, I guess.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Isn't that exactly what the post you quoted says

Apparently I was drunk or high, huh

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jarvisi posted:

Voiced by Eddie Murphy

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Oh I meant more the characters than the technology. Like will the dragon emperor clearly be Qin Shi Huang or just some generic person...or dragon. Chinese history and personalities are a weak spot of mine, so I don't really know who the "obvious" characters for a total war leader are besides those in Three Kingdoms.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well the thing is that the lore on Cathay is suuuuuper thin. We know that there's a "dragon emperor", who may or may not be a literal dragon (possibly shape-shifting), and a monkey king (obviously modeled on Sun Wukong). That's about it, as far as named characters go, unless I've missed something.

So, in other words, GW and CA are going to be working with a pretty blank slate. They can do whatever the gently caress they like there, which, having seen what they've done with Kislev, makes me VERY happy.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The Sun Wukong figure had an eshin advisor, which seems either cool or the worst idea anyone has ever had inlore.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

The Sun Wukong figure had an eshin advisor, which seems either cool or the worst idea anyone has ever had inlore.

Yaoguai! Yaoguai!

Would be cool to see any of:
Zhong Kui, the expeller of demons
Nezha
Qilins and/or stone lions
Terracotta armies of various types
A Yue Fei expy (that is, a general murdered for being too good at fighting barbarians and too bad at palace politics)
Jiangshi (hopping undead)
Fire lances
Sexy ghosts that seduce scholars
Sexy scholars that seduce ghosts
Batshit crazy stuff that Huanzhulouzhu (an early Wuxia writer of the pulp era) came up with in the 1930s
Various kinds of yaoguai
The rest of the Journey to the West mob, especially Zhu Ba Jie (pigsy). Although I can’t really see Tripitaka being down with total war
Dangerous eunuchs

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's probably for the best british people in the 80's didn't take the time to flesh out the far eastern factions.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally still think it'll be Dragon Emperor and Mulan expy as the two Cathayan leaders. Either that or the Monkey King in place of Mulan. To make it so they aren't perfectly aligned you'd have the Emperor be concerned with the state as a whole, and the other leader be a leader of the people instead of the state.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The Monkey King is positioned to be antagonistic towards the Dragon Emperor so IMO I think it'll be them, in order to present Cathay a "unify the Empire" objective before tackling Chaos head-on.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
It's really great that CA was able to make Three Kingdoms before WH3 since it let them take a lot of time to study Chinese culture. CA is poised as the one studio with the experiences and opportunity needed to make Cathay really work, GW should really count their blessings on this partnership considering it developed by happenstance.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I hope cathay gets some version of The Dark Woman, the goddess who taught the yellow emperor military strategy and how to gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It's really great that CA was able to make Three Kingdoms before WH3 since it let them take a lot of time to study Chinese culture. CA is poised as the one studio with the experiences and opportunity needed to make Cathay really work, GW should really count their blessings on this partnership considering it developed by happenstance.
There's probably some collaboration between the studios, but I'd be surprised if GW wasn't taking the lead given that they (specifically Forge World) are working on the Old World.