Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Kush Limbaugh posted:

Does my pedal order make any sense? Also, I'm getting a reverb pedal (or two) soon, where should I put it/them?
Helpful diagram included.

The answer to question A is "do you like the sounds you are making?" There is no objective correct pedal order, just different sound options. If you aren't getting the sounds you want, say what's lacking and suggestions will come pouring in.

The answer to question B is "what kind of music are you wanting to make". I'd put one pre drive, and one at the very end, but I'm specifically working on a project where that makes sense right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

the tone police will break your fingers if your pedal chain does not conform :colbert:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Crosspost from the new purchase thread, but with folks talking about power options, I just picked up a Truetone CS12 and I absolutely love it.

For anyone curious, chain goes:
- Korg Pitchblack tuner >
- PandaMidi Future Impact v3 synth >
- MXR Bass Octave Deluxe >
- EHX Enigma Q Balls envelope filter >
- Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter >
- Tech21 VT Bass

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Joe Bogan posted:

The answer to question A is "do you like the sounds you are making?" There is no objective correct pedal order, just different sound options. If you aren't getting the sounds you want, say what's lacking and suggestions will come pouring in.

The answer to question B is "what kind of music are you wanting to make". I'd put one pre drive, and one at the very end, but I'm specifically working on a project where that makes sense right now.

A: I think so, yeah. Using the compressor and/or the SF300 to boost into the OCD gets me some really nice-sounding distortion, the GE-7 makes it super easy to tweak, the chorus, delay and tremolo all do their jobs well.
B: I'm gonna be recording an album that takes equally from shoegaze and post-punk, where I want huge distorted washes of rhythm guitar and aggressive, jangly lead, like My Bloody Valentine meets Gang of Four kinda? So I was thinking of putting a Digiverb at the end, and like a JHS 3 series reverb or something right before the Super Fuzz. Thoughts?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Kush Limbaugh posted:

A: I think so, yeah. Using the compressor and/or the SF300 to boost into the OCD gets me some really nice-sounding distortion, the GE-7 makes it super easy to tweak, the chorus, delay and tremolo all do their jobs well.
B: I'm gonna be recording an album that takes equally from shoegaze and post-punk, where I want huge distorted washes of rhythm guitar and aggressive, jangly lead, like My Bloody Valentine meets Gang of Four kinda? So I was thinking of putting a Digiverb at the end, and like a JHS 3 series reverb or something right before the Super Fuzz. Thoughts?

Hahaha that's not far off where my current thing is, try the reverbs the other way around and see what you think, I like having weirder verb options pre drive and more straight up at the end.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God I want a Earthquaker Plumes, I can't articulate why but I does.

The rational is slamming my tube amp with tasty pre gain to get sweet sweet sound and also, pedal nice.

Joe Bogan posted:

Yeah, it used to be you placed reverb end of chain but putting it earlier in the chain is a sound that's pretty hip now and I dig it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

algebra testes posted:

God I want a Earthquaker Plumes, I can't articulate why but I does.

The rational is slamming my tube amp with tasty pre gain to get sweet sweet sound and also, pedal nice.

Yeah, it used to be you placed reverb end of chain but putting it earlier in the chain is a sound that's pretty hip now and I dig it.

it's a tube screamer, everyone loves a tube screamer

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Kush Limbaugh posted:

whatever you decide, that sounds hot for sure

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
it's only $100 (or less used) and it sounds stellar in all three modes

Jekyll and Hyde arrives tomorrow, can't wait to pretend to be Albert Hammond Jr

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Reverb last in the loop

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Declan MacManus posted:

it's a tube screamer, everyone loves a tube screamer

Get this though: it's not your (blues) dad's tubescreamer! It's made by cool people with piercings and fringes and poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Joe Bogan posted:

Get this though: it's not your (blues) dad's tubescreamer! It's made by cool people with piercings and fringes and poo poo.

I'm extremely seen.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it’s still a tubescreamer

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Kush Limbaugh posted:

Does my pedal order make any sense? Also, I'm getting a reverb pedal (or two) soon, where should I put it/them?
Helpful diagram included.

The pedal order looks good, but if you want to experiment a bit there are 2 things you could try.
I like putting an EQ before my fuzzes/drives, which lets me crank the drive and shape my sound with the EQ
Also try putting the chorus before the OCD, you can get some cool sounds with chorus into drive

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's worth fiddling around with the order of your dirt pedals, too, it can make a big difference.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Plumes is 100% just a modded TS and you know what? That's awesome. Because by increasing the gain, giving it more headroom, shifting the tone stack and giving the clipping options I got the TS I always wanted but didn't really know. It's hella versatile and does everything most people would want out of an OD (or really at high settings drat near a distortion).

I have a lot of good gear, pedals, amps, guitars. But the Plumes just had that quality where the moment I played it I was like "yeah I am always gonna have a use for that" which doesn't always happen.

My core dirt sound is amp, but when I want pedal dirt it'll be my Grav-A (honestly kind of like a Rat version of the Plumes haha) or the Plumes. I have other fuzz and OD but those two would suffice for pretty much all my dirt needs if I had only a clean amp.

It's also loving stupid cheap, not just for a EQD pedal but over here it's the same price as your average EHX pedal.

Just get one, you won't regret it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EQD is really good at boosts and such. I love my Arrows. I’ve had it for at least 3-4 years now and it’s on 99% of the time. Sometimes I convince myself I don’t need it and want only the pure amp sound. Then I stomp on it and the guitar sounds and feels so much more lively and wild, but in a way that responds even better than the base tone to playing dynamics. Even on bass I can’t seem to turn it off.

don’t get me curious about the plumes plz thanks

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

EQD is really good at boosts and such. I love my Arrows. I’ve had it for at least 3-4 years now and it’s on 99% of the time. Sometimes I convince myself I don’t need it and want only the pure amp sound. Then I stomp on it and the guitar sounds and feels so much more lively and wild, but in a way that responds even better than the base tone to playing dynamics. Even on bass I can’t seem to turn it off.

don’t get me curious about the plumes plz thanks

Buddy, I hate to break it to you but.

You can get a random boring TS clone, or you can get one with three clipping settings, usable as a boost or as a filthy, filthy distortion, or anything in between. Versatile, always sounds good.

Same price. Your choice.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What you all actually want is the Wampler Belle or Nobels ODR-1 which the wampler copies

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What baffles me is that the Plumes and the TS-9 are the same price. It's not like EQD is Mooer or some other budget brand.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well I bought Plumes, it owns.

The only problem is I really like two discrete sounds from it :ninja:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

BDA posted:

What baffles me is that the Plumes and the TS-9 are the same price. It's not like EQD is Mooer or some other budget brand.

iirc EQD purposely priced it low as an entree to their brand

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
My 90s era TS9 is making GBS threads the bed.
Plumes is intriguing, now that I know it's priced fairly reasonably.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

My 90s era TS9 is making GBS threads the bed.
Plumes is intriguing, now that I know it's priced fairly reasonably.

Isn't "fuzz pedal" the correct terminology for a broken tube screamer?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

polynominal-c posted:

"Circuit bent" tubescreamer

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

polynominal-c posted:

Unfortunately, it's nothing so glamorous.
Either the input or output jack is doing this fun thing where it makes everything sound super muffled and quiet. I've sprayed the bejesus out of it with DeoxIT contact cleaner, to no avail.
I'm sure somebody else would replace the input/output, but I hate soldering and would prob just buy a new pedal to replace it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I feel like a hack with my OD. I have a Bad Monkey (TS), a Crayon (BB Preamp), Plumes (TS) and I want a SD-1 (basically a TS!).

I... I never wanted to be all TS, but it just happened. Never owned a really TS tho haha.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I have a Plumes, MXR Timmy, Box of Rock, and Jekyll and Hyde (like a Nobels ODR-1 in OD mode) even though I'm nowhere near good enough to justify owning them

edit: oh and an SS/BS Mini

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The way of justifying gear by skill lies madness.

Just buy stuff and enjoy it.

Altho could you imagine going to a store, demoing a CS LP and the shop going "no we can't sell you it, you won't do it justice".

Blues dads would commit mass suicide.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have 2 Rats, a metal zone, and a DOD death metal.
Plus a bunch of home made fuzzes.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I sorta wish I'd hung onto the ZVEX Double Rock I sold. :smith:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The only tube screamer I've really liked is the T-Rex Moller overdrive, because of the mix control. Lets me add a bit of bite without losing all the clean tone. Mostly I just use a Distortion+, a treble booster or an EQD Crimson Drive for overdrive and a germanium fuzz for anything heavier.

Tube screamers mostly sound sterile to me. The germanium stuff sounds a bit more ragged with more texture, sounds closer to power tube distortion to my ears.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Proaudiostar has the Nu Tube Screamer for $130, nearly half off. I’m vaguely interested, because tube.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i have a few tube screamers, they're good

i have the 2-in-1 ages-warhorn combo from walrus, a t-rex crunchy frog (great pedal, usually only $50), joyo vintage od (808 clone i think?), and a seymour duncan 805, and have owned many others (palisades, fulltone fulldrive clone, etc.)

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Is the Isp decimator still the best noise supressor out there? It's the best one I've ever used but it's expensive. Does Mosky make a clone?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
thinking about grabbing an EHX OD Glove to sate my OCD craving, any thoughts?

I also have a lot of dirt - Rat, Riot Mini, and the distortion half of my Jekyll and Hyde (shredmaster)

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
The EHX OD Glove is a solid pedal and I'd recommend checking it out if you're interested in it.

If you want to go for an OCD pedal that's even less expensive, you can look at the Joyo Ultimate Drive. I used one for a little bit and it sounded good to me, I think the only issue was that I found it to have a noticeable hiss but it wasn't unusable and the pedal was only like $40 anyway. People complain about its artwork but I think you can easily fix that if you get set of googly eyes for it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The best TS clone I've owned was the VFE Pale Horse. It's TS without the midrange hump, three clipping types including LED, and independent hi and low pass filters. I lost it somewhere, though.

For a cheap OCD alternative, the Joyo Ultimate Drive is still fantastic. There are also a bunch of cheap Chinese knockoffs on amazon if you want a thinner profile for $20-$30. Just look for the LP/HP toggle, since that's the telltale sign.

having fun posting
Feb 22, 2021
I'm thinking about picking up my first stereo delay pedal and want something that has just knobs/no menu diving. I am considering the EHX stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai or Earthquaker Avalanche Run; I wish the Avalanche Run was cheaper, but right now I'm leaning towards it because I sold a Dispatch Master that I liked the sound from and wish I had kept, while I have an EHX Canyon that I'm thinking of selling because I don't really like the robotic/"talking into a fan" voice that it seems to lend to everything. I do not really care about the presence or quality of a looper. Are there any other pedals I should look into? I found out about the Joyo D-Seed from browsing the last few pages of the topic; I'm not fond of the bluesy Youtube demonstrations I've seen of it so far but will see if I can find a better example of it in use (I have a Joyo American Sound and think it's great).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Keeley Eccos is popular now.

But I loved the memory man, had a 90s one I regret losing(?) Back in the day.