Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Isomermaid posted:

This page is talking about Tolkein and what Starmer meant by rebuilding the economy from the middle out and all I can think is that hobbits are involved somehow.

Benn "CAST IT INTO THE FIRE"
Blair "no"

E:

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

keep punching joe posted:

I always took him as being some creation of Saruman, like the Uruk Hai who were (maybe I'm misremembering) a half breed of orcs and men. Orcs of course already being Morgoths corrupted Elves.

It's pretty up in the air what Saruman actually did to make them sunproof, IIRC. Could be interbreeding, could be inventing factor 50 and sunglasses. I don't think it was ever made any clearer in the mighty tomes of notes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A lot of it comes from the bible and Methuselah etc, the idea that the 'original' humans were taller, lived longer and things were better in them days.

They were the extra terrestrials sent to teach humans - barely evolved from monkeys at that stage - how to do stuff like use cutlery.
Dear lord, do you not keep up with Ancient Aliens?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The pyramids are ancient crypto mining rigs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Watchers came to watch us while we were naked, so we invented clothes.

Perverts.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gats Akimbo posted:

It's pretty up in the air what Saruman actually did to make them sunproof, IIRC. Could be interbreeding, could be inventing factor 50 and sunglasses. I don't think it was ever made any clearer in the mighty tomes of notes.

Mandatory wearing of big floppy hats.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lunar Suite posted:

Same in Germany - relatively-equally spaced in your community, you'd have big bins for glass (one for white plain, one brown, one for coloured glass iirc) and paper. Building would have big wheelie trolleys for paper, biological waste, and then black sacks for non-recyclables.

It's the same system in the Czech Republic too. And as for some random fucker not filling it up it's almost never an issue, the things are massive (think supermarket bin size). Possibly not the case when the time comes to get rid of christmas trees and decorations.

e: Though I have to admit it's much more comfortable walking 15m to take out the rubbish than 150.

e2: Also also, I think the paucity of bin space helps force recycling on people who'd otherwise not give a gently caress.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 20, 2021

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jaete posted:

Ah yeah that's right, the Numenoreans "descended from superior stock" or some such bollocks and as a result would live to 300-400 years old. But over time their blood was mingled with lesser men and blah blah, Aragorn was still in good middle-aged shape at 85 or so (during the books/films) but would rapidly get old already at like 120 or something and die

All the authors following up on this stuff sure could have used some critical introspection here re: purity of bloodlines, but oh well!

Not so much superior human stock but the first Numenorean king was half-Elvish.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A lot of it comes from the bible and Methuselah etc, the idea that the 'original' humans were taller, lived longer and things were better in them days.

This also comes from Ancient Greece, where the idea was there had been a Golden/Silver/Bronze Age of humans.

I'm sure other myths also had similar stories, which if you subscribe to the idea of similar myths all over the world being a part of older human culture that might pre-exist life on Earth (real "Chariots of the Gods" stuff) it becomes really interesting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A lot make sense when you realise landlords are the lowest class that the ruling classes are willing to consider people

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Barry Foster posted:

They very nearly turned me away because of my peanut allergy - they basically said 'no pfizer cos peanuts, no az cos under 40, go away until we have moderna'

But then the lead clinician there said that food allergies don't count, and it was only some weird thing I can't quite remember (plastics or something?) that was an issue, so I got the pfizer.

Sounds good, thanks.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Isomermaid posted:

This page is talking about Tolkein and what Starmer meant by rebuilding the economy from the middle out and all I can think is that hobbits are involved somehow.

Starmer's key voter demographic is Sackville-Baggins man.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Azza Bamboo posted:

You can't trust Terry not to fill the whole fucker with old carpets and bits of scrap wood. Best we all get our own share.
I'm sure that other countries must also have selfish little shits who spoil things for everyone else, but it just seems like such a miserably British thing.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That's me had the second AZ shot. So far just a bit of a sore arm.

Also the doctor who gave me the second one wasn't as good as the nurse that gave me the first, I actually felt the second going in :argh:

Everyone I know who got the second AZ jab myself included all said they felt the second going in and not the first. Very odd

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You're not meant to feel it going in? I always do, it's grim.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Aidan_702 posted:

Everyone I know who got the second AZ jab myself included all said they felt the second going in and not the first. Very odd

Told my dad they were using bigger needles because of a potential supply issue on thinner ones, then said "whoops, we're not meant to tell you that." Could well be bullshit. Don't we have someone who works at a vacc centre, who might know?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

This also comes from Ancient Greece, where the idea was there had been a Golden/Silver/Bronze Age of humans.

I'm sure other myths also had similar stories, which if you subscribe to the idea of similar myths all over the world being a part of older human culture that might pre-exist life on Earth (real "Chariots of the Gods" stuff) it becomes really interesting.

Weren't hunter-gatherers taller and healthier on average, with more leisure time, than the agrarian civilisations that started writing? That could have formed a shared cultural memory of an idealised and romanticised golden age that was now unattainable. I'm probably talking out of my arse here.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Barry Foster posted:

They very nearly turned me away because of my peanut allergy - they basically said 'no pfizer cos peanuts, no az cos under 40, go away until we have moderna'

But then the lead clinician there said that food allergies don't count, and it was only some weird thing I can't quite remember (plastics or something?) that was an issue, so I got the pfizer.

I believe some flu vaccines are raised in egg cells, and thus can't be guaranteed to be free of egg allergens?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/egg-allergies.htm posted:

Most flu shots and the nasal spray flu vaccine are manufactured using egg-based technology. Because of this, they contain a small amount of egg proteins, such as ovalbumin. However, studies that have examined the use of both the nasal spray vaccine and flu shots in egg-allergic and non-egg-allergic patients indicate that severe allergic reactions in people with egg allergies are unlikely. A recent CDC study found the rate of anaphylaxis after all vaccines is 1.31 per one million vaccine doses given.

Also, the CDC states people can be allergic to PEG or polysorbate, which are filler sort-of-plastics in vaccines to make 'em gloopy.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Weren't hunter-gatherers taller and healthier on average, with more leisure time, than the agrarian civilisations that started writing? That could have formed a shared cultural memory of an idealised and romanticised golden age that was now unattainable. I'm probably talking out of my arse here.

Yeah, I think it's just generic human "everything was cooler when I was younger and my grandad said things were WAY more cool when HE was young and young people today are all lazy shiftless and useless"-ism.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_the_Grain:_A_Deep_History_of_the_Earliest_States

Haven't read it but the thesis seems interesting

(that humans were essentially domesticated by their emperors and made to pay tribute in grain because unlike most other crops that were farmed at the time it keeps well)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They were, and agriculture was a terrible idea, but the Greek idea of a Golden Age was probably more about all those ruins of much cooler buildings post collapse.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Here's my hot take, belief in elfs and goblins comes from racial memory of interactions with other extinct human species, I have nothing to back this up and no research.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lunar Suite posted:

I believe some flu vaccines are raised in egg cells, and thus can't be guaranteed to be free of egg allergens?

Also, the CDC states people can be allergic to PEG or polysorbate, which are filler sort-of-plastics in vaccines to make 'em gloopy.

I got Pfizered in spite of telling the nice lady that I'm allergic to morphine and bananas. She just wanted to know what morphine does to me (dizziness and nausea) then stuck me anyway.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hello im injected now, please add me to the top secret bill gates 5G nanomachine discord channel

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Fun story.

I went in to have my second jab ages ago (I'm not an old but I volunteer at a vaccination centre :smug:). Incidentally I was my vaccinator's first 'repeat customer', which isn't relevant but it meant we had a good chat.

Anyway, he puts the needle in and then drops the cotton swab on the floor. Obviously he can't use that, he needs a new one, but the box is on his desk too far away - oops! So while holding the needle he comically stretches over and tries to grab the box, which is impossible. Eventually he decides to just leave the needle hanging out of my arm while he goes to grab a new swab.

Good job nobody was watching because I'm sure he'd probably have got a bollocking for that. I had a laugh about it but he seemed a bit embarrassed. His normal job is a neurosurgeon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The epic of gilgamesh has bits about how good it was when they first made bread and settled cities rather than these days.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sanford posted:

Told my dad they were using bigger needles because of a potential supply issue on thinner ones, then said "whoops, we're not meant to tell you that." Could well be bullshit. Don't we have someone who works at a vacc centre, who might know?

I'm not getting it if they're using jumbo needles :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Here's my hot take, belief in elfs and goblins comes from racial memory of interactions with other extinct human species, I have nothing to back this up and no research.

Didn't know naomi wolf had a forums account.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1395383523297607681

too good for this world

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/michaelrosenyes/status/1395386587597377541?s=21

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The epic of gilgamesh has bits about how good it was when they first made bread and settled cities rather than these days.
Assyriologists have long debated what the various legal Codes like the Code of Hammurabi actually were. Whatever they were it's almost certain that they weren't actual pieces of written legislation by or for the use of judges or jurists, because of glaring omissions such as covering cattle and oxen but ignoring sheep and shepherdry (far more vital to the area), or chatting bollocks like suggesting threshing grain using goats (suggesting they'd never attempted such a thing).

They may be philosophical works, or guidance for how to think about law in general, but a suggestion by Finkel is that they were more like rants about whatever this particular powerful person was annoyed about at a particular point in time.

A big stone "they're buggering the pigs again Henry, I just know it, it's disgusting, they want stringing up".

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't know naomi wolf had a forums account.
There is/was a real hypothesis that the uncanny valley effect might be something of a instinctive holdover from being around other types of hominids, but I don't know if that ever went anywhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There is/was a real hypothesis that the uncanny valley effect might be something of a instinctive holdover from being around other types of hominids, but I don't know if that ever went anywhere.

I always find that one a bit difficult to buy when corpses exist, which are a far more obvious and available thing to be unnerved by than neandertals.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

I always find that one a bit difficult to buy when corpses exist, which are a far more obvious and available thing to be unnerved by than neandertals.

Maybe it was a racial memory of being afraid of Cylons from before we fled the 12 Colonies to Earth.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Got Moderna in the chillingly efficient local vaccination centre.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I've always liked how people would go 'there's a fairy ring up there on that hill' not realizing that was where their great-great-great-grandparents probably lived and its the remains of their house overgrown.
Every few hundred a new set of people going 'That strange shape of land nearby? Thats where the loving magic beasties and poo poo live!' to where they themselves used to be.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

What's this racial memory stuff? I said shared cultural memory, something like the big flood that is mentioned in many cultures, at first orally.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lunar Suite posted:

It was the latter, definitely, that sounds right to me

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Whe.. where is this going. I'm concerned

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

I’m so loving sad we didn’t get him as PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/ImIncorrigible/status/1394419207354429445

Finally, what I’ve been most looking forward to. Cheaper meat from countries with much shittier agricultural standards.

Oh also murdering U.K. farming whilst being completely aware that you’re doing so. Interesting to see whether MP’s vote with the party line or their constituents, since this benefits no-one’s constituents.