Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
New old comic I've decided to start posting: Mandrake the Magician. CK has a selection of vintage comics, and Mandrake is among them. We're starting sometime in 1949.

And now that I've caught up with the week CK lets you see without paying, I'll be posting them daily.

Not being posted, but with a title I had to share:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Haifisch posted:

New old comic I've decided to start posting: Mandrake the Magician. CK has a selection of vintage comics, and Mandrake is among them. We're starting sometime in 1949.

And now that I've caught up with the week CK lets you see without paying, I'll be posting them daily.

Not being posted, but with a title I had to share:

Who's Derek? I thought Mandrake's brother was named Luciphor, also known as Cobra.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's his older brother. Derek is his twin brother who's less evil.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I remember liking Boner's Ark back when I was a kid. It was done by Mort Walker under a pseudonym, although Walker's style is so distinctive that it was obviously him (or his gang of assistants) behind it.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/19/01

Wait, Rob is a vegetarian since when?

Brenda Starr 7/4-6/46

Smokey Stover 3/23/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 20, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Old old comic I've decided to start posting because I have no self control: Johnny Hazard. Per CK:

quote:

Frank Robbins' classic of high adventure began at the height of World War Two, the story of an American fighter pilot battling the Axis. After the war, Johnny flew jet spy missions, and faced all kinds of dangers from Russian submarines to pirates of the Sargasso Sea to attacking dinosaurs. Our hero traveled through hundreds of exotic locales, encountering dozens of beautiful women and villainesses over the years. A beautifully drawn, action-packed series, JOHNNY HAZARD ran from 1944 to 1977.
Also doing a week's catchup before adding to my daily roster:

Comic Strips 2021: Death...death for everybody!

(This is all I'm spamming tonight)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Snacky Gary

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

"I think we made an enormous impression on them."

I aspire to be more like Moominpapa.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

I was going to complain that cousin marriages were illegal in Sweden at the time, but in the book Larsson says that he will get the king's permit because of that, so 10 historical accuracy points for Topelius.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no no I said steamed cans

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ha ha, it's totally their fault because they were enjoying an activity on the beach that's strictly for kids

instead of looking for a job

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I can't get over how in Dustin women are invariably young, thin, conventionally attractive, and bitchy. No exceptions (discounting the one recurring character, the employement office lady).

Classic Kevin & Kell in: hey remember trade shows? They were a thing that existed before the plague. (June 4-10, 2001)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

That third panel is a joke on Tucows, the domain registration company.

Deathless Deer 3/22-24/43

Isn't that third panel great? "Well, no, I've never had to draw anyone being punched in the jaw. But really, how hard could it be?"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 29, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Apr. 29, 1945)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mikl posted:

I can't get over how in Dustin women are invariably young, thin, conventionally attractive, and bitchy. No exceptions (discounting the one recurring character, the employement office lady).

[

Those are just the girls he notices. All the ones he actually has a chance with are invisible.
Just like in real life.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft

shuuuuutttt the fuuuuuuck upppppppp

This is so typical of Batiuk - his yearning for "relatable human drama" for praise, combined with his love of smugness, make all the melodrama seem so overwrought and actually takes away from any human connection. It acts like these two losers are the only people in the world who have ever closed a business, worship and pity them. Similarly, did you know that Les Moore is the only man on earth whose WIFE DIED OF CANCER?!

Also these pithy little "bon mots" that he thinks are so clever - who the gently caress does he think this appeals to?

Breaking Cat News seems to think really highly of us.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn Val. She loving told you! You know Beric is laughing his rear end off in Valhalla because drat dude.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't kink shame.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 8, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 8, 1999)

Garfield Classic (September 8, 1989)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "60 - Jucika and the Easter Gift"

Another unexplained gap. As before if I come across 58 and 59 in the twitter feed I'll add them as extras.

"Jucika at the Campsite"

Jucika is a master of power moves.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Maybe Dustin takes place in an alternate reality where everybody is a colossal rear end in a top hat.

Selachian posted:

Isn't that third panel great? "Well, no, I've never had to draw anyone being punched in the jaw. But really, how hard could it be?"

The Ape rules, I choose to interpret that panel as him being so strong he can KO a man by batting at him like a kitten. :allears: Also Lynx's tiny knife. This has really become a good bad strip with the writer help.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 29, 1945)

This strip is so good. Also the thought just occurred to me and I am compelled to spread my curse: is this the first anime romance plot? I mean I'm having a big laugh that this entire storyline is Val eventually realizing he loves this woman, he's just declared her his sworn enemy for like two years.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: hey remember trade shows? They were a thing that existed before the plague. (June 4-10, 2001)

By this point we all have firmly established that the only moral value in Kevin and Kell is that the protagonists get theirs in the blood-capitalist jungle, but it's still a little uncomfortable when the joke is that someone who was opposed to them gets killed by predators while the protagonist is smug in their wisdom to have efficient and/or ethical business practices not get killed by predators.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

"To whom do you think you're talking?" :eng101:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

:lol:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"What's this? A long fan letter? From a little girl? Why, this is just what I needed!"

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Caphi posted:

By this point we all have firmly established that the only moral value in Kevin and Kell is that the protagonists get theirs in the blood-capitalist jungle, but it's still a little uncomfortable when the joke is that someone who was opposed to them gets killed by predators while the protagonist is smug in their wisdom to have efficient and/or ethical business practices not get killed by predators.

Kevin doesn't avoid getting killed by predators because of his greater wisdom but because of his greater bulk. Time and again we've seen him survive confrontations that would kill a smaller rabbit by just punching the aspiring predator in the face.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (September 8, 2009)

don't kinkshame

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (January 9, 1993)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

so we've seen Batuik complain about how hard working out is, and now we get to see how hard it is to have your house remodeled.

coming up next, Funky Winkerbean complains about his annual checkup!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Golden Tail

e: fullsize of the newspaper:

SubNat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 20, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doomykins posted:

Maybe Dustin takes place in an alternate reality where everybody is a colossal rear end in a top hat.

Dustin takes place in Florida?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Bonus: Blondie secretly went dystopian and nobody noticed.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Presto posted:

We get it. Your dumb theater has to close. Jesus Christ.

It's their own drat fault for starting a business in that town that wasn't intimately connected to the story of Saint Lisa. Cancer's the only growth industry allowed in Westview; making sure Les Moore has a reason to mope around your place reminiscing about his dead wife is the core of any good business plan there.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Trilobite posted:

It's their own drat fault for starting a business in that town that wasn't intimately connected to the story of Saint Lisa. Cancer's the only growth industry allowed in Westview; making sure Les Moore has a reason to mope around your place reminiscing about his dead wife is the core of any good business plan there.

Twist: They opened the theater so it would be ready to host the world premiere of Lisa's Story: The Movie.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
bro i hate Bernice so much

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
make bernice live in funky winkerbean world, it's what they all deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Bernice is an atrocious person and it really shows what kind of people the Evanses are if this is a character they're writing as the paragon of what is right in the Luannverse.