Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm sure there are a few weird chuds out there going "But this pay raise is bad for the economy, why did I have to make more money?" but in general it's not the minimum wage workers complaining.

There are skilled laborers who are mad about raising the minimum wage, but not because "Things will cost more" but in a sense of "This isn't fair to me." Mostly it's people who are already making 15-20 dollars an hour for their work, who feel that if minimum wage gets raised to that level, that this devalues their labor because they were making much more than minimum wage before, and now they'd be making as much or only slightly more. And I think to an extent, they have a point, that if they did learn a trade or have spent years working a job and now someone who just starts out working fast food makes the same as them, that isn't right, they should be making more. But of course the actual solution is "So petition your boss to raise your pay so that you're still getting fairly compensated for your labor" and not "So vote for people who won't raise the minimum wage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Then their wages would increase too if the employer wants to keep their workers.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

Then their wages would increase too if the employer wants to keep their workers.

Lol no they wouldnt nobody actually wants to work service jobs if they dont have to

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ve never seen so many people complain about making more money.

The idea that raising wages will cause an almost exact increase in the cost of everything is still pretty ubiquitous.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

StealthArcher posted:

Lol no they wouldnt nobody actually wants to work service jobs if they dont have to

I'm not sure I actually believe this. I think the jobs could be perfectly fine with better pay and some moderately better working conditions. Also people being generally less lovely to service workers.

Like I've been working office jobs my entire life since college and I gotta say I loving hate them. Stupid "company culture" poo poo like pizza parties and "jean Fridays". Oh cool, you're giving back something to me that you took away the rest of the week! Plus I'd say every office I've been in has had high school levels of favoritism and cliques. I just decided to start a lovely office job a few months ago after taking a year off for covid and I already want to quit.

Corporate America is loving trash unless you're already rich, know the right people, lucky, etc.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

That was in reference to a non service job that makes more. For some reason supply and demand only seems to work for customers and not the employer, so people piss and moan about lazy millennials and ask for the government for handouts.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've done a lot of cook jobs, so thankfully not quite directly customer-facing, but there is a sense of accomplishment and purpose in making yummy food that makes people happy. The reason the job sucks and every kitchen is full of substance abuse is the pay, lack of rights, and general culture of treating service workers like slaves. Even a poo poo job like Raising Canes, the workday would've been a lot better if people were like "thanks Edgar, I love this chicken and this sauce" and not "thanks dog on the sign for inventing this recipe, by the way Edgar you need to put more TP in the mens room and you forgot my extra toast, idiot, no wonder you make nine bucks"

I'd like to say this is better in the younger generation, but that job was right by a uni campus and the sort of kids who go straight from high school to a prestigious university are just as poo poo as the worst boomers.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah out of all my jobs the one I probably liked most was working in a small private cafe for an engineering firm. Like 2-3 people working, short lunch rush, coffee drinks now and then. Close up shop at 3:30 and go home. The administrative people were nice and appreciative too.

But it was part time, the engineers were arrogant and treated you like an idiot, and they didn't seem to give a poo poo about covid so I left.

Now I work in a freezing cold office looking at a monitor for 8 hours and I hate it, despite paying more.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I mean... should I tell them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxgybgEKHHI&t=2s

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The idea that raising wages will cause an almost exact increase in the cost of everything is still pretty ubiquitous.

It's almost like it's been tried in several major cities across the country and could be studied.

People like to say these "entry level" jobs aren't meant to provide a livable income and are only there to help 16 year olds but a piece of poo poo car and learn the value of hard work. Except somehow I keep seeing people way older than sixteen working in gas stations, grocery stores and what have you.

One would swear that income disparity is a real issue just by trusting what they see with their own eyes every day. But I got a FW>FW>FE email and read a FB post saying that people just don't to want to work anymore so I'm conflicted.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

It's almost like it's been tried in several major cities across the country and could be studied.

People like to say these "entry level" jobs aren't meant to provide a livable income and are only there to help 16 year olds but a piece of poo poo car and learn the value of hard work. Except somehow I keep seeing people way older than sixteen working in gas stations, grocery stores and what have you.

One would swear that income disparity is a real issue just by trusting what they see with their own eyes every day. But I got a FW>FW>FE email and read a FB post saying that people just don't to want to work anymore so I'm conflicted.

Oh the Trumpers know it's not just kids working these jobs, they'll tell you the people working these jobs are lazy and should learn a skill if they want to get a better job.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Minimum wage jobs are only for teenagers and part time work for people in college, which is why all gas stations and fast food places/restaurants are closed during school hours.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

I mean let's face it, if simple and accurate points like that worked we'd probably already have raised the federal minimum wage. Unfortunately, conservative propaganda is being blasted at these dumb fucks significantly more often than any reasonable position so here we are.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's also important to bear in mind that as always, the cruelty is the point.

Conservatives don't give a poo poo about the reality of the situation, it's just a fig leaf for them to hide behind when the simple truth is that they WANT a lower/peasant/serf class that they can feel superior to and humiliate on the regular for pennies a day.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Selachian posted:

Specifically, Schnatter announced he'd have to raise prices by 10-14 cents a pizza to deal with the crushing costs of Obamacare, and apparently expected everyone to go, "No, you're right, that's clearly unaffordable, better give up any thought of expanding health care access."

poo poo.

Raise the price by a quarter.

Put out PR everywhere about how you care about your employees so much and you're such a great, caring company to work for.

Watch record profits be made, as people who care about that sort of thing order your pizza. And people who don't care not even notice or care about the $.25 per pizza increase.

Winner, winner, pizza dinner.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Minimum wage jobs are only for teenagers and part time work for people in college, which is why all gas stations and fast food places/restaurants are closed during school hours.

Does the US not have different minimum wage for teenagers?

Where I live there's a minimum wage for like 14 with a limit on hours of employment per week, a bump at 16, then full minimum wage at 18.

So the argument that it's for teenagers and job experience, here it's like... yes ok, that's already reflected in law now can we talk about the main minimum wage rate? And the discussions seem to be more productive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

simplefish posted:

And the discussions seem to be more productive.

This is not the goal of the people who make law in the US.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Long time ago, I was working at a Dairy Queen while in highschool back in 1996. The minimum wage was being raised from $4.25/hr to $4.75/hr. The owner was madder then hell about this, and would spend all morning ranting about how this increase would crater the business, or he'd have to let people go. Later he'd say that prices would have to increase, because the estimated uh...30-40 dollars a day in labor would ruin the business.
I'm working the Saturday opening shift a few days after the increase, owner makes a big deal dragging a ladder out, and puts a new number over all the prices on the menu. Probably about 10-20 cents per item. He gets done, and then looks directly at all the highschool students like its our fault.

Its nice fall day, and the place is busy from open to when I leave at 4. I work Sunday, same deal. In fact, it seems busier then usual. I hear him talking to another manager, he says that even with the wage increase, he's doing better then before. Turns out, that when you decide that you want a blizzard, or an ice cream cone, a couple cents doesn't matter. But if you suddenly have a few more dollars in your pocket, you might feel like a treat.
Place is still open today.
Anyway, gently caress that guy and I'm glad I stole hundreds of chicken nuggets from that place.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The prices increase regardless of raising min wage. Which people bitch about endlessly anyways. When I ask people about this they just look at me stupid and refuse to answer.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the best is when Fox News or local regressive radio stations get a local biz owner to parrot the classic talking points, but if you do some digging into public records, you find out they closed / bankrupted months or years ago or some sort of CRIMES* happened.

*also its a lie, or it was their fault. party of personal responsibility.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Siri, please give me a sign that my next customer is going to be a crackpot weirdo with a lot of flags with gold fringes, who'll spend the whole session telling me about government conspiracies and also that he just got scammed out of 40k in a Bitcoin scam.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

iajanus posted:

Siri, please give me a sign that my next customer is going to be a crackpot weirdo with a lot of flags with gold fringes, who'll spend the whole session telling me about government conspiracies and also that he just got scammed out of 40k in a Bitcoin scam.

Please tell me this is America and the guy is referencing a Crown Warrant

Edit: Guessing Australia based on the Queensland police reference, which is somehow still hilarious

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's some high-level warding

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

iajanus posted:

It sure sounds like you have a lot of compassion for your clients.

I hope you just like, serve court papers and aren't some sort of emotional or mental state mender for people with what are huge flags for, actually needing some sort of mental health assistance.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah build the wall president... Biden.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The year 2021 and conservatives are still going on about black people and their saggy pants.

Wasn't it proven years ago that most/all of those pictures were staged? Not that evidence matters to them, but I coulda swore that it was verified at some point.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Not that it matters since the people who complain about saggy pants haven’t ever seen a black person actually doing that.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Its funny that they always show their out of touchness with those takes. Baggy clothes and sagging hasnt been in style for probably 20 years now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

the_steve posted:

The year 2021 and conservatives are still going on about black people and their saggy pants.

Wasn't it proven years ago that most/all of those pictures were staged? Not that evidence matters to them, but I coulda swore that it was verified at some point.

It was a fashion trend so even if it wasn't staged plenty of white kids were sagging their baggy jeans.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

HootTheOwl posted:

It was a fashion trend so even if it wasn't staged plenty of white kids were sagging their baggy jeans.

Yeah, but there's saggy and then there's the Achewood comic with Roy yelling "You couldn't wear your pants any lower, so you sewed tiny individual pant legs for each leg!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

iajanus posted:

I love the bit 'you will pay me 750k and I can also take your car and house if I feel like it' at the end.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
When I was a waiter we had an older guy that would give the rest of us poo poo if our pants weren't like, pulled up to our loving nipples.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Its funny that they always show their out of touchness with those takes. Baggy clothes and sagging hasnt been in style for probably 20 years now.

Baggy clothes are coming into style again but sagging pants aren't.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I miss the one-pant-leg-rolled-up look

That was like thirty years ago tho

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“Baggy pants” is like “R&B ringtone”, it just means “black person” but if you call them ok it they never said that so who is the real racist??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“Baggy pants” is like “R&B ringtone”, it just means “black person” but if you call them ok it they never said that so who is the real racist??

The best followup is "It's the culture I don't like"

Oh, we know

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

That has to be the most infuriating part about dealing with racists. They act like anything short of saying "I am a racist and I hate ____ people" means they're in the clear.

I know most of the time it's just performative ignorance, but that makes it worse.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I swear to loving god, every time the subject of minimum wage comes up on Facebook every goddamn Doobie Groverhaus manager of DogHeelies Inc comes in to whine about how raising the minimum wage will put them out of business. The template is always the same:

-Job pays more than minimum wage but probably less than the proposed increase.

-Evangelical Christian

-Located in some flyover state

-Owner plays up how flexible they are with hours and benefits yet inevitably can't find enough workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

iajanus posted:

Legal madlibs