Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Kinda want to get Godfall, but that's still too expensive for what the game is.

It will either come to PS+, PSNow, or drop to 2 dollars on PC soon. If it ends up on Xbox it screams game pass. There is no need to buy next gens current most forgettable game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Artyom recalled Sukhoi’s conversation with Hunter about how the level of radiation on the surface would not drop for at least fifty years, and that mankind was doomed, and other biological species were on the rise . . . The elder did not explain exactly how the surface of the earth would turn into a flowering paradise. Artyom wanted to ask him what weird kind of plants were going to bloom in that burned-out paradise, and what kind of people would dare to go up above and settle it, and if his parents had been children of Satan, and if that were why they had perished in the war to annihilate evil. But he didn’t say anything. He was filled with such bitterness and such mistrust, that his eyes burned, and he was ashamed to feel a tear run down his cheek. Mustering his strength, he said just one thing: "Tell me, what does Jehovah, our true God, say about headless mutants?" The question hung in the air. Elder John did not deign even to glance at Artyom, but those standing next to him looked around with fright and repulsion, and they moved away from him, as if he had let out a foul smell. Brother Timothy tried to take him by the hand, but Artyom tore away and, pushing aside the brethren who were crowded around, began to make his way to the exit.

Clearly the author isn't saying that the JW's are the chosen ones or anything like that. The metro series is an allegory for modern Russian politics. That's why the Hansa and the Communists are in a constant cold war which the central station maintains for its own purpose. It's also why the fourth Reich exists in the book, to show the rise of the neo Nazi movement in Russian politics.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So apparently Samsung TVs made after 2018 or something have a Steam Link app you can install which basically replicates the (now discontinued) Steam Link box that would let you stream a feed from your PC to your TV over your home network.

Hooked everything up with LAN cables (TV has a socket so you can plug the ethernet cable right into it) and it works pretty well- that is, it works as well as a Steam Link box hooked up with physical cable. Not quite as good as directly hooking up a video output and running controls from the PC (5.5 ms delay and the video encoding clearly doesn't like it when you swing the camera around ingame in whatever you're playing) but with physical cabling it isn't as bad as I thought. Also the TV itself can accept any kind of Bluetooth device so I'm using a PS4 controller- gotta re-pair it with the PS4 or the TV depending on what you're using though.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

Artyom recalled Sukhoi’s conversation with Hunter about how the level of radiation on the surface would not drop for at least fifty years, and that mankind was doomed, and other biological species were on the rise . . . The elder did not explain exactly how the surface of the earth would turn into a flowering paradise. Artyom wanted to ask him what weird kind of plants were going to bloom in that burned-out paradise, and what kind of people would dare to go up above and settle it, and if his parents had been children of Satan, and if that were why they had perished in the war to annihilate evil. But he didn’t say anything. He was filled with such bitterness and such mistrust, that his eyes burned, and he was ashamed to feel a tear run down his cheek. Mustering his strength, he said just one thing: "Tell me, what does Jehovah, our true God, say about headless mutants?" The question hung in the air. Elder John did not deign even to glance at Artyom, but those standing next to him looked around with fright and repulsion, and they moved away from him, as if he had let out a foul smell. Brother Timothy tried to take him by the hand, but Artyom tore away and, pushing aside the brethren who were crowded around, began to make his way to the exit.

Clearly the author isn't saying that the JW's are the chosen ones or anything like that. The metro series is an allegory for modern Russian politics. That's why the Hansa and the Communists are in a constant cold war which the central station maintains for its own purpose. It's also why the fourth Reich exists in the book, to show the rise of the neo Nazi movement in Russian politics.

I agree with you. The author is definitely not saying the JW's are the chosen ones. I'm aware of the allegory for the contemporary cultural atmosphere, I generally approach most science fiction as stories about Today written in the context of Tomorrow. Last time I checked, the JW's are still gaining members faster than any religion in Russia.

I think the author was trying to illustrate the JW's as debris from a pre-nuke world. They're basically portrayed as cockroaches.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

from yesterday but i just wanted to acknowledge the excellence of this post

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Vermain posted:

Berserk might well go down as the greatest unfinished masterpiece of its medium. I was never the biggest Berserk fan, but I read through most of it, and it's pretty undeniable that the world's lost a master craftsman far too soon.

Not trying to diminish his legacy but I find it weird that an artist can leave a work unfinished after 30+ years of time to work on it and still be considered a "master craftsman". Maybe it's glib to say but to me it's like, nobody would idolize an artist that only finished half their paintings.

For the same reason I don't think GRRM is that great, he wrote some pretty great books but you can't just tell half a story.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Goethe worked on Faust for sixty or so years. Finishing it only a year before his own death and being published posthumously.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's finally gotten slashery in umieko after four almost torturous hours of maria uu-uu-ing and that embarassing "we know you're bad at business and hosed up, so accept our terms..." "wahaha, i know you're all bad at business and hosed up so accept my terms" "HOW COULD THIS BE" sequence

now i can hella scrutinize alibis

although three people whose schedules/movements i was intrigued by are already dead on day 2 so. lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh yeah I forgot that chapter of 2033 lol

2034 isn't really at all but 2033 and 2035 are extremely blatant about how "the Metro" is just "modern Russia with a very tiny fig leaf" which makes how 2035 ends extra bleak. Weirdly though I still feel that the rougher translation in 2033 greatly improves it compared to the other two; it feels more oppressive for it

quote:

Not trying to diminish his legacy but I find it weird that an artist can leave a work unfinished after 30+ years of time to work on it and still be considered a "master craftsman". Maybe it's glib to say but to me it's like, nobody would idolize an artist that only finished half their paintings.

I have no real opinion on Berserk beyond it being sad that guy died but lol there are a lot more unfinished works, sketches, and prototypes than you think

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Artyom's horror at realizing the Mom he was talking to was offering to prostitute her young son was one of the bleakest things I've read.

Edit:It's nice to see so many people Playing Umineko, It's one of my favorite novels of all time now

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 20, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

For the same reason I don't think GRRM is that great, he wrote some pretty great books but you can't just tell half a story.

It’s a manga tho, like if it were just a novella series with pretty pictures sometimes he wouldn’t be praised to the extent that he is but imagine drawing a single chapter of that series even taking months at a time cause manga is an inherently dangerous self-destructive medium to draw for, so if it takes thirty years to not even finish that’s par for th3 course.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

He wrote 3 good books, two increasingly bad ones and then stopped writing to swim in his piles of money (and I can't blame him)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Last Celebration posted:

manga is an inherently dangerous self-destructive medium to draw for,

Is there something about the manga industry I don't know about here?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

fan wikis are one of my joys in life

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

I don't know about most but I know that the person who did yu yu hakusho really hosed up their body from spending so much time in the position they draw their art in, though I think they draw completely different from how others draw.

e: what are some other good unfinished (at least by the creator) works? The things that come to mind are hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and canterbury tales.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

the average manga artist operates under insane deadlines with practically zero time off ever. all it took for the author of one piece to get regularly scheduled breaks was to pen the most financially successful manga of all time by an absurd margin, and even then his health isn't great either. it's an industry that grinds people up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

raditts posted:

miura for most of his life did not have a day off, or was able to go outside

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's pretty common for manga to be a one-person affair, maybe with some number of assistants (extremely successful people like Miura can get way bigger than that, but obvs that's not most) but nowhere near the level of work distribution you see by default in comics. Everything I've personally followed is monthly or bimonthly, but there's plenty of weekly series out there and those are real grinders.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

raditts posted:

Plutonis posted:

The manga industry is horrid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think if you could ask every artist living and dead if they were ever completely satisfied with a work or didn't have to cut/leave huge sections unfinished, the percentage would be incredibly low.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean what happened to him could happen to anyone, and quite suddenly, but in all probability he felt like poo poo for a few days but didn't do anything about it because he's basically felt like poo poo for the last three decades. The life of a mangaka is brutal and isolating.

e: The flip side of this is he wrote one of the most influential stories of the last few decades, and basically every dark fantasy tale in movies, tv, games, manga, and anime has aped it to some degree. And he lived long enough to know that. It's not enough, but it's something.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 20, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm playing this Scarlet Nexus demo and it seems like the God Eater team really wanted to make an Astral Chain type game this time after trying their hand at a Dark Souls. Wonder what game they'll try to make next

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jesus, it's no wonder he died of acute aorta dissection

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright in order to talk about Eternal Return: Black Survival I have to talk about Dota

If you asked me why I lost an individual dota game I could easily tell you. 90% of the time it's draft-based. The other day I played a game where the enemy team picked all the best heroes of the patch and I took a screenshot of the teams matchups and posted it and everyone in discord said "lmao the most impossible game of all time". If you asked me how I could improve at the game, there's a lot of ways. My last-hitting is alright, but I'm much better at the samelane than mid. When mid, I'll often fall behind against snowball heroes like SF because they manage to get LHs they shouldn't get with autos, and I should be making them cast spells to get them. I also never remember the water runes so I don't shove the lane beforehand so I can go get them. I have no idea how far to push the lane before I dip into the jungle to do one of the close camps, so sometimes I'll be like "I cant get any of those LHs Ill go jungle" and then the enemy is pushing into my tower and Im missing creeps. I could go on but point is, it's easy to see on a surface level what you're doing wrong.

ER:BS is the most frustrating game I've ever played and I have no idea how I'm supposed to get better at the game because I never have any loving idea why anything happens. I have never once managed to kill anyone who is playing as Leon. Sometimes I'll finish my full build and then die to the next person I see despite doing nothing but grabbing items as fast as possible. Sometimes I'll have like three kills and then die to someone with 0 kills and lower combat stats. Sometimes I'll see an enemy at half HP and I'll jump them and they'll kill me instead. Like, I have absolutely no idea how to assess what is going wrong in any of these scenarios without asking someone to just stare at my games and tell me exactly what to do and why

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

An artist's work is never done.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mulva posted:

e: The flip side of this is he wrote one of the most influential stories of the last few decades, and basically every dark fantasy tale in movies, tv, games, manga, and anime has aped it to some degree. And he lived long enough to know that. It's not enough, but it's something.

Yeah, the Souls series alone is mostly just stuff aping Berserk innit?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wait the berserk guy died?????????????????? poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hatty posted:

I'm playing this Scarlet Nexus demo and it seems like the God Eater team really wanted to make an Astral Chain type game this time after trying their hand at a Dark Souls. Wonder what game they'll try to make next

does it seem cool

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
start an e3 thread

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no

Weedle
May 31, 2006

e3ad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Seriously though maybe there should be a unified Streaming Event Game Hype Media Frenzy thread, there are going to be a half-dozen events in the first weeks of June and a couple more later in the summer

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, the Souls series alone is mostly just stuff aping Berserk innit?

It varies, and some stuff is debatable cause he himself was heavily inspired by HR Geiger, but the outrider knights in 3 are super overt Berserk references, especially their fully evolved forms.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

grieving for Gandalf posted:

does it seem cool

Its fun, your main attack isn't very impressive but most of the combat is using your telekinesis during your combo and activating whatever power your companions have using your BRAIN LINK. It reminds me of Astral Chain that way where the real fun was activating your demon buddy at the right time to get combos going. Theres a level up system so more variety is definitely possible. Its very flashy with lots of in combat QTEs and mini cutscenes which could get tiresome if they don't add some variety. The MC is named so maybe no character creator? disappointing if so. Code Vein and God Eater got pretty deep discounts after a few months and I would think this will follow that trend, seems like it'd be a fun $40

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So Chris Redfield became a meme in the west for punching boulders with his huge muscles, but in Japan the meme is that he's a gorilla because of how muscular he is.
https://twitter.com/strongest_human/status/1395050813374881799
https://twitter.com/yuifans123/status/1374252019314163717

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hatty posted:

Its fun, your main attack isn't very impressive but most of the combat is using your telekinesis during your combo and activating whatever power your companions have using your BRAIN LINK. It reminds me of Astral Chain that way where the real fun was activating your demon buddy at the right time to get combos going. Theres a level up system so more variety is definitely possible. Its very flashy with lots of in combat QTEs and mini cutscenes which could get tiresome if they don't add some variety. The MC is named so maybe no character creator? disappointing if so. Code Vein and God Eater got pretty deep discounts after a few months and I would think this will follow that trend, seems like it'd be a fun $40

this is about what I expected. it'll be interesting to see impressions next month

ty for the writeup :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

John Romero posted:

start an e3 thread
I'm the one who usually does it, we're still 3 weeks away so i'm not in a rush but I might type up the OP this weekend

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wait there's an E3 this year?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

Only in name, it's a few days of consecutive streams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

there's an E3 and a "Summer Games Fest" happening almost simultaneously

the thread is not going to play up the trashfire aspect of E3 as much this year since it's not gonna be people on a stage loving up and doing skits

i will probably use the thread primarily as a stealth indie game promotion opportunity because no one's gonna buy or play half the games shown at E3 anyway