Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I am so sad about this. Absolutely gut wrenching for him and his family as well as us his fans.

Thankfully he managed to get to Casca's return at least, where we left off is still a hell of a place to go. But it was gorgeous and moving and we'll have to be okay with it ending where it has because there is no way anyone (maybe even his kouhai that helped him) could finish it. An absolute genius level artist to be sure.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I've been reading Berserk for so long now that when someone texted me about Miura's death this morning, I was in shock for awhile. The outpouring of grief throughout the communities that discussed Berserk across the Internet is heart-wrenching.

I'm probably in the minority, but the very last chapter feels like a decent point in the narrative for a conclusion. A cruel conclusion that gives us no answers or an end to the central conflict of the manga, but far better than if the last panel were a goofy smile from the mermaid or an Isidro/Puck gag.

RIP Miura, RIP Berserk. It was a long struggle and it's finally at its end.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
RIP Miura! Holy poo poo

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Plutonis posted:

The manga industry is horrid.

loving hell. This remind me of a twitter argument I got in with an anime animator who moved from NYC to Tokyo. He felt it was necessary for animators to work until at least 10 pm every night to hone their craft, and working 7 days a week was just part of the "journeyman artist" lifestyle. Meanwhile I work in animation in the west and clock out after 8 hours every day. There's something up with the comics and animation industry over there that just crushes people and then makes it so even if there was a way of being more efficient, they won't take it because the craft has taken over, the detail has to increase.

If Berserk had settled into its Volume 8-9 detail level throughout its entire run it would look amazing and Miura could have taken more breaks. But that's the issue with being a genius artist. There's not really a point if you're not constantly seeking to outdo yourself. And with the style he was going for, that means the most insane level of detail possible.

Of course a lot of our outpouring of grief has to do with the beauty of the art he gave us. But it's hard to square that with the toll on health such an effort takes. A lot of these guys unwittingly become martyrs for their craft.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
gently caress. I've been following Berserk for years and have especially always been in awe of his art. Whether we get notes or not, I'm content with where things were left. Rest in peace, Miura-sensei.

54 is too drat young though. Take care of yourselves, y'all.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

This is terrible. He was surely one of the greatest storytellers I ever knew of. RIP.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
gently caress. So long, Miura. Even unfinished, nobody else in the business can compare to Berserk.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Plutonis posted:

The manga industry is horrid.

This has to change. Regardless of it being someone you idolise or not, no one should be making cries for help in the author notes sections.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've fallen off the manga hard but the My Hero Aca was taking frequent hiatuses due to health a couple of years back and he's only 34, Togashi is utterly hosed and I'm more and more glad that HxH is in its longest hiatus yet, because it probably means he's not killing himself to draw it. Nothing is worth the blood, sweat and ultimately, life they put into these works.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
I have a lot I'd like to say, but all of it comes up short on what this means to me. RIP to an absolute legend that went through hell to put his characters through hell and managed to grow as an artist/storyteller in the process. Few people with the same ambition and aspiration will ever come close to what Berserk managed to accomplish.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
To struggle without losing one's self, to endure hardship without allowing it to define you. I... got a lot out of that as a younger person. Going by the tributes on-line, so did many others.

Been a while since I cried this hard.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress you Earth.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
RIP, dude was an absolute legend of an artist and nobody's going to be able to compare for a long, long time, if ever.

I'd hope this would be a wake-up call for the industry to lay off the insane constant pressure and tendency to extend works into infinity until the creator just gives up or literally can't continue. I'm not optimistic though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'd hope this would be a wake-up call for the industry to lay off the insane constant pressure and tendency to extend works into infinity until the creator just gives up or literally can't continue. I'm not optimistic though.
We all know it won't be :smith:

RIP. Genuinely tough news to hear. Berserk wasn't perfect but it was virtuoso and helped me through some very difficult times. I'll always be grateful for that.

SayHelloToParsley
Jan 14, 2018

This news really ruined my day. RIP to a legendary artist and storyteller.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ANN posted an excerpt from an interview published a month ago:

quote:

Miura: Do you know how the story will flow until the ending of Cestvs?

Wazarai: That's the question, isn't it? laughs* Now let me just ask directly, how much of Berserk have you gone through now?

Miura: I've been planning to start wrapping it up soon. laughs* Just thinking of wrapping it up without expanding the story further.

Wazarai: And here I am not even halfway done with my story idea. What are we going to do with ourselves?

Miura: At this point, it's just question of our continued health, right?

Wazarai: Like, whether your life will run out before you ever get to finish it.

Miura: Well, they say humans can live up to 100 years old now, and some people can keep on working no problem until they're 90, if they're careful about it.

Agh.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

RIP, dude was an absolute legend of an artist and nobody's going to be able to compare for a long, long time, if ever.

Time to blast some Berserk OSTs. Here are three of my faves:

Tell me Why (anime opening theme):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2rV8oKWSdM
Forces II (Dreamcast game opening theme):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAAXUFkDWyw
Sign (PS2 game opening theme):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iiH0xlCXog

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Rest in peace to the GOAT.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I hope he found happiness in the gaps between his crazy workload.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
This is so devastating. I thought he had another 20 years left at least :(

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

These are the worst possible news. I was absolutely, constantly in awe at how Berserk managed to be so great throughout its run. I truly got the feeling of meticulously planned, epic storytelling, with no sudden unplanned decisions, no improvisation. Berserk is absolutely masterful storytelling. It will never be finished. I do, in some way, hope there is a conclusion to the story - based on notes left behind, whatever -, but I'm not deluding myself into thinking it will be entirely the same. There is no other story I know that has so consistently stayed great.

RIP Kentaro Miura. Thank you :smith:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Lock Knight posted:

To struggle without losing one's self, to endure hardship without allowing it to define you. I... got a lot out of that as a younger person. Going by the tributes on-line, so did many others.

Been a while since I cried this hard.

yeah, me too

luca the camp follower lady who took care of everyone she could even a mentally ill and uncommunicative stranger just because she could and had the determination to throw one of her girls and herself into a well in order to survive stuck with me a lot as sort of, the berserk idea of a saint

the world, and the church, and kings are cruel and awful so please take care of each other

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dark Horse is publishing omnibus Vol 8 (with a slated release date of my birthday). I couldn't help myself and preordered it :tif:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

quote:

Miura: At this point, it's just question of our continued health, right?

Wazarai: Like, whether your life will run out before you ever get to finish it.

Miura: Well, they say humans can live up to 100 years old now, and some people can keep on working no problem until they're 90, if they're careful about it.

Jesus gently caress, I am crying so hard right now.

Rest in peace.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Well, this sucks.

Rest in peace.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I said that waiting to see the end of Berserk was my reason for not attempting suicide in at least one occasion when I was in my 20s and in a much worse place. I loved seeing the outlook of Berserk really change over the years as I also started learning to have a more positive outlook in general.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Twitch posted:

I said that waiting to see the end of Berserk was my reason for not attempting suicide in at least one occasion when I was in my 20s and in a much worse place. I loved seeing the outlook of Berserk really change over the years as I also started learning to have a more positive outlook in general.

Carry on surviving, Struggler.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I've been checking the internet periodically today to see that this wasn't true. Alas. :smith:

54 is too young. Rest in Peace.

Manwall!
Dec 27, 2004
Manwall es victorioso!
Berserk is one of the very few manga I've read, and the only one I've ever been invested in. It became my favorite story and I'm genuinely devastated. This is awful.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've fallen off the manga hard but the My Hero Aca was taking frequent hiatuses due to health a couple of years back and he's only 34, Togashi is utterly hosed and I'm more and more glad that HxH is in its longest hiatus yet, because it probably means he's not killing himself to draw it. Nothing is worth the blood, sweat and ultimately, life they put into these works.

Someone on another site posted a little comic that the creator of Gegege no Kitaro made where he showed a casual meeting he had with Shotaro Ishinomori and Osamu Tezuka back in like the 70's or so where the three of them discussed their sleep schedules, the two of them often only got like 3 hours of sleep while he usually tried to get 8 to 10 hours every night, with it concluding with him noting that both of them died in their early 60's in poor health and he was still alive in good health(and him living till like 93 furthers the point*)

*as does an interview he did where he pointed out that in a group photo of various famous early manga creators he was the only one still alive and the others all died young

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Berserk is one of my favorite stories ever. I think I first saw the anime when I was 13 or 14. It was the first anime I had seen outside of Dragonball and Pokemon, and it really made me think that anime could be legitimately good. Unfortunately, few things have come close. After rewatching the show several times, I started reading the manga. I think it may have been my very first manga? I can't say anything about the art and story that others have said better. I've been keeping up with each chapter release for about twenty years now. Whenever I saw that this thread had a lot of posts, I would never click it until the chapter came out. We all joke about the pace of releases, so it makes sense that I didn't want a single thing spoiled before I was able to read it for myself. I saw this thread blow up last night and assumed it was a surprise new chapter until I saw the news today. I'm happy the story was able to get to the place it did. And when I play games like Dark Souls, I'm glad to see it influenced others out there in such a positive way.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

For all the jokes about idolmaster, I'm glad he did more than just work during the past few years.

I wish he'd gotten to do more.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I've been rereading Berserk this past month and before I received news about his passing I found myself wondering how much what happens in Beserk ties into Miura's life. Like he's said before that The Hawks were based on his friends from high school. Does Farneses' role as Casca's caretaker correspond to the birth of his child? Are Schierke and Isidro based on his kids? It's interesting to think about.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 20, 2021

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What the gently caress, I just saw that Miura died!! I'd long heard about Berserk but was put off by the slow update schedule, so I wanted to leave it until he finished to start reading it. Aw man this sucks. :smith:

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

And now I've caught up.

drat :smith:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

What the gently caress, I just saw that Miura died!! I'd long heard about Berserk but was put off by the slow update schedule, so I wanted to leave it until he finished to start reading it. Aw man this sucks. :smith:

In his memory time to jump on the bandwagon and ride the ride until its done because its amazing.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
I wish more mangaka took Mizuki-sensei's advice:

You shouldn't have to go through a world war and lose an arm to realize that destroying your health by overworking is not worth it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is what happened to Miura the sort of thing that would be greatly affected by more sleep? Outside of general stress on the body, that's the sort of defect that just gets worse over time regardless, right?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

In his memory time to jump on the bandwagon and ride the ride until its done because its amazing.

I guess so, right? I'm gonna go and buy the volumes right now and start reading them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Is what happened to Miura the sort of thing that would be greatly affected by more sleep? Outside of general stress on the body, that's the sort of defect that just gets worse over time regardless, right?

I think not getting enough sleep has a net negative effect on the body no matter what, like a multiplier. Sleep is-- as far as a layman like me understands-- is where out body does stuff like heals muscle, regulates hormone output, and allows automatic systems like the heart and lungs to go at a much slower pace (thus keeping them from wearing out). Getting regular sleep just keeps your body much more well-preserved overall.

But yeah aortic dissection seems to be the kind of problem that gets worse with age if you're disposed to it, and a mangaka who only takes half a day off every two months is extremely disposed to it.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 20, 2021