Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
after a while they'd ask why and I'd ask them if they really wanted to know and they'd be like "ugh no"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

rotor posted:

after a while they'd ask why and I'd ask them if they really wanted to know and they'd be like "ugh no"

also why my partner doesn't ask me speculative questions much anymore

i basically morph into my av and just start speaking

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I once got taken to see the pilot of a plane we were on and kept asking him why* until he got annoyed and the attendent took us away.

* There was a kink in the route in the flight plan and I wanted to know why the plane had to make a tiny detour! He just said the people on the ground said to take that route but that wasn't *really* why, just an intermediate step! I still don't know the answer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atc likes loving with pilots because they're meanies mad they don't get to be pilots

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

speaking of pilots in the parenting thread back 10 years or so ago i was flying out of vancouver with my son and he was about 3 or 4 and a pilot stopped by and started talking to him and I said hey and stuff and asked him if he had kids and the dude started crying because he never got to see them because of his job and that really kind of reminded me that no matter what a pain in the rear end the kid was - and he was a huge pain in the rear end - that being his dad was the most important thing to me.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

speaking of pilots in the parenting thread back 10 years or so ago i was flying out of vancouver with my son and he was about 3 or 4 and a pilot stopped by and started talking to him and I said hey and stuff and asked him if he had kids and the dude started crying because he never got to see them because of his job and that really kind of reminded me that no matter what a pain in the rear end the kid was - and he was a huge pain in the rear end - that being his dad was the most important thing to me.

:allears:

but also wtf, that guy was really on the edge if that’s all it took to get him crying

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

:allears:

but also wtf, that guy was really on the edge if that’s all it took to get him crying

yeah i mean he was clearly wound up but still tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
work sucks and it sucks even more when it’s keeping you away from your kids

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also regarding the “why” phase, another way to think about it isn’t to solve the never ending series of questions but to reframe it and perhaps accept that your kids just want to hear you talk about things. if you take that approach you might see it as an opportunity to talk endlessly to a captive audience, rather than a burden to be minimised

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if i understand things correctly they will stop listening to anything you say soon enough anyway.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

cachin' up, both my kids start school in July (probably maskless) my immune system is gonna be hosed up, i'm like 1.5 year behind on the colds/strep/etc

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

my kids got out of the why phase pretty fast because i would pull the fuckin car over and say "ok it's a long story but here it goes. Red paint was first sythesized by German chemists in 1846. This is during the reign of Kaiser Wilhelm, a fact which will become relevant in a moment. OK so..."
yeah i tell my kid stories from my childhood too

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

green are directional guidance road signs like street names while blue are simple guide signs like "hospital ahead"

thanks dad

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kenny Logins posted:

lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

ah gently caress, i cant believe youve done this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kenny Logins posted:

hehe. got him.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Kenny Logins posted:

:thurman:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

rotor posted:

This is exactly what I do. TBH i use to ask my dad questions on long drives just the two of us and he would explain *in detail* how ailerons work and I was enraptured. Now i wonder if he was just like 'ugh, fine i'll explain how planes take off'.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Now i wonder if he was just like 'ugh, fine i'll explain how planes take off'.

you pull back on the stick and the plane goes up, op

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/_claypot/status/1361710684585754626?s=21

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gentle autistic I know much you like ordinary kiwis so bet you feel jealous you ain’t on the sideline of under 12s rugby like I am

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rugby in chch sounds like a bad time i gotta be honest

what’s an ordinary kiwi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk i remember once a convo we had and at the time i didn’t get it but now i do. just kinda bogan etc

idk why chch would be worse than other places tho. chch gets this rep within nz woke social media that it really doesn’t deserve

tonight i’m taking my 12yo the pink floyd experience. i saw them a couple years ago and they were incredible . he loves the wall and they are doing animals and the wall. it’ll be his first true concert. it’s going to loving blow his mind. plus i’ll love it toooo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
has he listened to the final cut? if he likes the wall he might dig that one too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

man, since I stopped listening to commercial radio a long tine ago I’m really starting to enjoy bands like pink floyd again now that like three of their songs aren’t drilled into my head daily.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
he likes fletcher memorial home which is the best song on the album

one of his favourite tracks on the wall is empty spaces which is such a good loving track but also interesting because it obv shows an interest in the way music sounds

as opposed to my 10yo old who while he enjoys music it defo has to be something to sing along to. pop. ed sheren etc.

I’ll never judge people for the music they listen to, I’ve met plenty of people who love music but basic bitch poo poo, and ya know what that’s fine. if someone loves music then that’s all that matters. the only thing about other peoples approach to music that sucks is those is judge or gatekeep other peoples music taste (welcome to the internet), and lack of open mindedness is disappointing too.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
last time I saw these guys I took two tabs. tonight it’s just a can of red bull lol

this bands thing is replicating famous pink floyd tours. like a few years ago they did pulse. and when they do they wall they do the wall the show, with the building of the walls and projecting video onto the bricks as they build them, etc etc.

the only thing I suppose is that sit down concerts exist somewhere in a weird place. it’s obviously not a mosh concert but it feels like sitting down is .. insufficient.

one of my turns has such a great vibe. really feels like should stand lol. poo poo I love the sound of that song. and then don’t leave me know. god drat the wall has a LOT of great moments on it.

it’s not the greatest album because there is too much filler, but there’s probably few albums with as many good and varied moments as the wall

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i definitely agree. it’s my favorite album of theirs.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s a dude here with a korn t-shirt

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i saw the pink floyd experience in chch once about 15 years ago, they were doing dark side of the moon, and at the end they yelled out PRAISE JESUS

when i saw roger waters in melbourne he said ‘george bush your parents must have hosed you up badly when you were very young’

makes you think

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
got a leaf blower today and convinced my child to wear sunglasses for "safety" so we could blast the driveway. 10/10 would recommend if your child also refuses to try on their new sunglasses

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i scared the poo poo out of my 3 year old with the leaf blower

the 1.5 year old loved it and had to console her

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

drat. kids 1.5 years apart. that sounds insanely challenging.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it's closer to two

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol, still tho.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
my sister has "irish twins" that are 11 months apart

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

any parents out there have any pearls of wisdom they’d care to share wrt teaching a kid how to ride a bicycle? our soon-to-be eight year old tends to be an anxious kid (chip off the old block) and attempts to teach him in the past have ended poorly.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the current thinking is to start with a pedal-less balance bike instead of training wheels

idk if that's appropriate for a 7-8 year old though, balance bikes tend to be smaller, though i'm sure there's a range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, we’re a little late on the pedal-less thing for him. that’s definitely what we’re doing for our younger son though.