Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they'll just send the dog bot cops after you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just sit on the robot and enjoy the tour

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

smarxist posted:

hear me out; the little robot is delivering food probably directly subsidized by venture capital that's been laying dormant in shelters for years after dodging taxes or just got freshly minted in some kind of crypto scam, so i think taking the food from the cart and forcing the end customer to refund it and re-order at the expense of the delivery company is a moral imperative on your part, you have to eat food that's nominally free on the dime of venture capital seeking to further tighten its grip on society

lol if the delivery service isn't contingent upon forcing the customer to "agree" that the courier isn't liable for loss/damage in transit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
hijacking the delivery robot and turning it into a cryptominer for novelty coins and occasionally ransomware attacks against pizza hut

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
rolling down the street making GBS threads into the delivery robot, sippin' on gin and juice

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
building an emp gun out of scraps to hunt pizza drones in the urban jungle

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

witchy posted:

building an emp gun out of scraps to hunt pizza drones in the urban jungle

Gotta take it home to ma' because she knows how to clean it and disarm the habanero sauce booby trap on the food compartment

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

There's no way these stupid things can be cost effective. People are going to be destroying them for fun and profit constantly.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Like the first time that thing encounters a drunk person it's going to be kicked over and looted.

And it probably costs at least $5,000, probably quite a bit more.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
what if rentable electric scooters but even more expensive and an incentive to gently caress with it beyond just basic malice market status disrupted

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Philly leads the charge.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

Philly leads the charge.

It clearly says "or bust." They shouldn't have provided that option.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A sharp rise in black fungus cases during India’s catastrophic second Covid-19 wave has exposed the consequences of overmedication as stretched doctors flout prescription guidelines and panicked patients self-medicate.

The overprescription of steroids, in particular, to treat Covid-19 patients has been blamed for an explosion of fatal black fungus infections and a shortage of the drug to treat it.

Doctors have reported a surge of patients suffering from black fungus or mucormycosis, an infection with a mortality rate of at least 50 per cent that starts in the nose and quickly spreads to the eyes and brain.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Vox Nihili posted:

There's no way these stupid things can be cost effective. People are going to be destroying them for fun and profit constantly.
just create heavier robots with lots of razer-sharp protrusions, built-in taser guns, tear gas sprayers, and facial recognition cameras that instantly identify anyone who comes near it

also you could sell them to the police to deal with protestors

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Homocow posted:

just create heavier robots with lots of razer-sharp protrusions, built-in taser guns, tear gas sprayers, and facial recognition cameras that instantly identify anyone who comes near it

also you could sell them to the police to deal with protestors

'police brutality? No, we were just trying to deliver a pepsi to the protestors!'

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

Philly leads the charge.

one of the philly posters in here years ago said that philly people hate being reminded that places outside philly exist, so this was probably seen as a direct attack on them

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Vox Nihili posted:

Most of them are total pieces of junk and the startup that makes them is looking to get bought. Of the ones that work fairly well outdoors, the best use case would be central areas in a bougie (and flat) university town on a limited number of routes, or in an otherwise controlled environment.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
when i am elected president i will issue an executive order to build a vast continent spanning network of pneumatic tubes to transport cargo. a dozen tubes in every home!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

uber_stoat posted:

Philly leads the charge.

Thank you, people of the city of brother-loving, for taking out the trash.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

corn haver posted:

Most of them are total pieces of junk and the startup that makes them is looking to get bought. Of the ones that work fairly well outdoors, the best use case would be central areas in a bougie (and flat) university town on a limited number of routes, or in an otherwise controlled environment.

It's hard to imagine how that would end up costing less than paying a gig servant whatever minimum crumb they're required to under applicable law. And college towns are full of kids looking for work.

And some drunk guy is still going to give it a good kick before long.

Maybe it starts to make sense if the entire system costs under $1,000 or so.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It is your civic duty to destroy that robot and loot it. Take its chips and take its microchips

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Vox Nihili posted:

It's hard to imagine how that would end up costing less than paying a gig servant whatever minimum crumb they're required to under applicable law. And college towns are full of kids looking for work.

If the college administration gets one more student to go to Cornfed U after a campus tour because of the wonderful delivery robot that definitely works as expected, they just got their ROI right there. I don't know the market that well, but I would imagine a good portion of the deployments are pretty impractical even if the vehicle performs amazingly well but the sizzle sells it.

The real application of autonomous vehicles that's going on right now is in manufacturing and distribution. Capital is replacing a vehicle operator or a proportion of vehicle operators in exchange for needing a much smaller number of skilled technicians who can work on complex mechanical and electrical systems. I imagine in a couple of years there will be a huge shortage of those people though so it may swing back to less skilled labor to some degree in the short or medium term.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

corn haver posted:

If the college administration gets one more student to go to Cornfed U after a campus tour because of the wonderful delivery robot that definitely works as expected, they just got their ROI right there. I don't know the market that well, but I would imagine a good portion of the deployments are pretty impractical even if the vehicle performs amazingly well but the sizzle sells it.

Does that happen? Slots just go unused? It was decades ago but the places I applied to had more applicants than spots. If they had extra spots they'd just lower their admission standards until all the spots were full.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Facebook Aunt posted:

Does that happen? Slots just go unused? It was decades ago but the places I applied to had more applicants than spots. If they had extra spots they'd just lower their admission standards until all the spots were full.
The college example kind of derailed things and I have no idea how colleges work, but if someone at an organization can spend X dollars and they think that a robot will help their image and they sell it internally (even if they don't understand it), they sometimes just buy it without fully vetting its usefulness as that is a secondary concern to them. Some startups just do pilot projects at a reasonable cost or may be collecting data that they can utilize for R&D or sell, like robotic floor sweepers at airports do.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Universities love wasting money on dumb bullshit, like a 20 million dollar renovation to the business school or giving the law school extra comfy chairs.

Until it's something that helps poor students or humanities majors in which case there's just no budget for it.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tokin opposition posted:

Universities love wasting money on dumb bullshit, like a 20 million dollar renovation to the business school or giving the law school extra comfy chairs.

Until it's something that helps poor students or humanities majors in which case there's just no budget for it.

the traveling Settlers of Catan competitive team has 5 times the budget of the date rape counseling services

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

smarxist posted:

the traveling Settlers of Catan competitive team has 5 times the budget of the date rape counseling services

how can you be competitive at a luck based game

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Vox Nihili posted:

the secret to these delivery robots is that they are remote controlled by workers in south america

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Or a literal Turk.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cloks posted:

how can you be competitive at a luck based game

Lots of wheat and ore

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

duz posted:

the secret to these delivery robots is that they are remote controlled by workers in south america
IIRC they had to be controlled by a worker following them relatively close, to the point where the person receiving the delivery could see them. But maybe that wasn't Postmates

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ruffian Price posted:

IIRC they had to be controlled by a worker following them relatively close, to the point where the person receiving the delivery could see them. But maybe that wasn't Postmates

that might have been the one that can only travel like 200 feet so was dropped off in front of the location by the handler

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ruffian Price posted:

I thought they were controlled by people in a a call-center-cum-sweatshop in the Philippines who had to manage dozens of robots at a time.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Platystemon posted:

I thought they were controlled by people in a a call-center-cum-sweatshop in the Philippines who had to manage dozens of robots at a time.

since the bots aren't absolutely everywhere it was probably more like pre-alpha testing, or even early proof-of-concept/techdemo, than full-scale deployment. like if a deliverybot service were actually launched there would be shills hyping that poo poo all over the internet and talking about how much they want to buy that company's stock

nevermind that it's basically vaporware unless you already have amazon-level influence to force the public to pay for the necessary infrastructure :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was Colombia for the “robot” company Rappi, and they paid the equivalent of two dollars per hour.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

silentsnack posted:

since the bots aren't absolutely everywhere it was probably more like pre-alpha testing, or even early proof-of-concept/techdemo, than full-scale deployment. like if a deliverybot service were actually launched there would be shills hyping that poo poo all over the internet and talking about how much they want to buy that company's stock

nevermind that it's basically vaporware unless you already have amazon-level influence to force the public to pay for the necessary infrastructure :v:

It seems like something that could be mildly useful on a mostly closed campus. Instead of sending a runner down to the cafeteria to pick you up a sandwich, the cafeteria can send one right to your office. Or you could have the robot take a file or small parcel from one office to another within the same site.

Like how Segway was going to revolutionize transportation, but then most governments said "no this isn't legal on our streets nor sidewalks" so they mostly get used on private land.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Vox Nihili posted:

A sharp rise in black fungus cases during India’s catastrophic second Covid-19 wave has exposed the consequences of overmedication as stretched doctors flout prescription guidelines and panicked patients self-medicate.

The overprescription of steroids, in particular, to treat Covid-19 patients has been blamed for an explosion of fatal black fungus infections and a shortage of the drug to treat it.

Doctors have reported a surge of patients suffering from black fungus or mucormycosis, an infection with a mortality rate of at least 50 per cent that starts in the nose and quickly spreads to the eyes and brain.

is that the one where some american guy had his eyes, nose, upper palate, etc sugically removed so his face was just a hole?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Head like a hole
Black as your soul
I'd rather die than give you control

Griz
May 21, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

It seems like something that could be mildly useful on a mostly closed campus. Instead of sending a runner down to the cafeteria to pick you up a sandwich, the cafeteria can send one right to your office. Or you could have the robot take a file or small parcel from one office to another within the same site.

they already have autonomous robots that haul stuff around hospitals and can use elevators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLZMAW9lqXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Griz posted:

they already have autonomous robots that haul stuff around hospitals and can use elevators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLZMAW9lqXE

it's truly dystopian when this is what a TUG robot does