Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I swear to loving god, every time the subject of minimum wage comes up on Facebook every goddamn Doobie Groverhaus manager of DogHeelies Inc comes in to whine about how raising the minimum wage will put them out of business. The template is always the same:

-Job pays more than minimum wage but probably less than the proposed increase.

-Evangelical Christian

-Located in some flyover state

-Owner plays up how flexible they are with hours and benefits yet inevitably can't find enough workers.

And if they’re gonna be put out of business for a few extra dollars they are gonna have to shell out for wages, they weren’t meant to be around. Those types of jobs nobody wants anyways. I live in bumfuck nowhere and McDonald’s pays 10 dollars an hour to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Baggy clothes are coming into style again but sagging pants aren't.

one funny thing about getting older is seeing how its been long enough now that young people do not remember the trends that led to JNCOs, and as such are reviving it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Don't forget the bullshit claim that saggy pants were totally a prison thing about gay sex so all those black guys wearing their pants saggy don't even know they're saying that they want gay men to have sex with them, ha ha!

Because just being racist isn't enough, gotta be homophobic too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Twelve by Pies posted:

Don't forget the bullshit claim that saggy pants were totally a prison thing about gay sex so all those black guys wearing their pants saggy don't even know they're saying that they want gay men to have sex with them, ha ha!

I was JUST about to comment that someone commented on that post with this very "fact".

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

one funny thing about getting older is seeing how its been long enough now that young people do not remember the trends that led to JNCOs, and as such are reviving it.

Fashion is a flat circle. I hear early 2000's stuff is going to make a comeback so expect Juicy tracksuits and wearing ties with t-shirts like Avril did that one time in the near future.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

As long as cargo jeans come back, I'm fine with it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Fashion is a flat circle. I hear early 2000's stuff is going to make a comeback so expect Juicy tracksuits and wearing ties with t-shirts like Avril did that one time in the near future.

It's already happening.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Twelve by Pies posted:

God I remember hearing this from my daycare lady when I was around 10 or 11 and had no idea what she was going on about.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Baggy clothes are coming into style again but sagging pants aren't.

I still see the occasional sagging but it's almost always only a couple of inches at most.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Taerkar posted:

I still see the occasional sagging but it's almost always only a couple of inches at most.

Personally I figure if you're gonna spend that much on a nice pair of underwears, you're gonna want to show it off.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I generally have one or two high school students every year who let their pants sag pretty far down like what used to be fashionable, but that's all. I don't bother making a fuss about it because the argument only ever alienates the kid and makes me look like an uptight jackass, and I'm supposed to be all about building relationships.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does this mean I can start dressing like Billy Joe Armstrong again, I rocked that look

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm just waiting for the overalls with one strap look to come back

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I swear to loving god, every time the subject of minimum wage comes up on Facebook every goddamn Doobie Groverhaus manager of DogHeelies Inc comes in to whine about how raising the minimum wage will put them out of business. The template is always the same:

-Job pays more than minimum wage but probably less than the proposed increase.

-Evangelical Christian

-Located in some flyover state

-Owner plays up how flexible they are with hours and benefits yet inevitably can't find enough workers.

I live for the looks on their faces when I say "then your business was bad and shouldn't exist. You aren't entitled to anyone's labor, and the market is shutting you out."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Capital has basically broken people’s brains to where they don’t think labour has value. When in fact my time is the one thing I can never buy more of.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Devorum posted:

I live for the looks on their faces when I say "then your business was bad and shouldn't exist. You aren't entitled to anyone's labor, and the market is shutting you out."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Capital has basically broken people’s brains to where they don’t think labour has value. When in fact my time is the one thing I can never buy more of.

Post-war America was literally all about this - while most of the rest of the western world continued to exchange increased productivity for less working hours, America exchanged it for more wages, and spent them on labour-saving devices and services, from washing machines to hoovers to fast food, to reduce the amount of work they needed to do in the home.

Then in the 70s the bosses realised they could just keep all the productivity gains for themselves and 40 years later you've got people screaming that someone spending 12 hours on their feet in hot lovely conditions to bring them their food doesn't deserve any better.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No no no.

Labor has value. Their labor specifically.

Your labor doesn't because there's no way you could possibly work as hard as they do.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Taerkar posted:

No no no.

Labor has value. Their labor specifically.

Your labor doesn't because there's no way you could possibly work as hard as they do.

It's always the hypertensive portly republican do-nothings parked the wrong way in a loading dock, either smoking or chewing, who'll say "Ya gotta work smart, not hard!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gods, I wish it were legal to bludgeon anybody who says that food service, especially fast food, doesn't count as "real" work.

I never worked food service (furthest down the food chain I ever went was cashier at a pharmacy), but I had friends who do/have, plus I have goddamn eyes and a functioning brain, so it isn't hard to piece together that work is work. Their 8+ hours last just as long as mine do.

But, like people keep saying: The cruelty is the point.
These fucks just need a lower class to feel superior to. Hand them a fry basket and they'd, well they'd say they were the exception to the rule and that everybody else was a stupid lazy and they should be the head manager by now if it weren't for all the sexual harassment complaints from the 16 year old, if we're being realistic.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Trust me I worked way harder doing fast food/retail than I ever do with my current office job. That’s pretty much how it always is. I think most people understand when you get paid the big bucks you’re mostly just there to delegate instead of doing the actual work but it never registers with them cause they’re dumb dumbs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Invalid Validation posted:

Trust me I worked way harder doing fast food/retail than I ever do with my current office job. That’s pretty much how it always is. I think most people understand when you get paid the big bucks you’re mostly just there to delegate instead of doing the actual work but it never registers with them cause they’re dumb dumbs.

I worked the front and back of the house at Denny's when I was 16 and it was the hardest job I've ever had.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yep. My hardest jobs were when I was a kid and in my 20s. I came home from my Best Buy job exhausted and was making $10 an hour. My job has a lot more responsibility now and higher stakes but it's by no means harder.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
By far the hardest job I've ever worked was when I worked at the deli counter at the local supermarket. Long hours, lovely working environment, constant danger of both oil burns and cuts from the meat slicers, rear end in a top hat customers, and an uncaring management team that didn't give a crap as long as the area "looked good".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
poo poo ton of service jobs would be improved by hiring dedicated cleaning staff instead of tacking that onto other jobs.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Chiming in with this too. Hardest jobs I've had were hotel banquet server and local pub barback. The more I get paid and more benefits/stock options/vacation time I get the easier my job seems to get. At this point literally all I do is make/receive phone calls and have conversations. That's it. That gets me a livable income but hauling kegs, bussing tables, breaking up bar fights and cleaning an entire building five nights a week for 12 hour shifts had me needing two roommates to make ends meet.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

poo poo ton of service jobs would be improved by hiring dedicated cleaning staff instead of tacking that onto other jobs.

At cracker barrel, they have night maintenance for the hardcore all across the restauraunt and store cleaning and repair. The sidework, if given out equally, is usually easy for servers. They made servers roll silverware and it ranged from 100 to 150 a night. In our store, you either got out of doing silverware by paying someone to do it or taking out the trash.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nobody tell them Trump never gave up his company and that submitted the paperwork for his pension the first second he could and, if I'm not mistaken, the only proof he didn't pocket his salary is his word that he donated it (which he's been caught lying about multiple times in the past)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Nobody tell them Trump never gave up his company and that submitted the paperwork for his pension the first second he could and, if I'm not mistaken, the only proof he didn't pocket his salary is his word that he donated it (which he's been caught lying about multiple times in the past)

I believe he "donated" his salary, and I'm sure used it as a 100% tax write off to get even more back. I always love this and the similar memes. Especially the "I don't need to see the tax returns of a man who gave up his wealth for the country he loves, I need to see Pelosi and Schumer's!"

It's funny how the "Trump doesn't need to show his tax returns, he didn't do anything wrong" people are the exact same people as "Do whatever a cop tells you and you won't get shot, you're asking for it if you argue"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DarkHorse posted:

I think it was verified that he was donating his salary while in office, but, he was charging the Secret Service to stay in his hotels when they were guarding him and grifting everywhere else he could, so he was getting it all back.
Of course that will be regarded as "Just good business" and not seen as the scam it is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Medullah posted:

I believe he "donated" his salary, and I'm sure used it as a 100% tax write off to get even more back.

How do you think he got more money back?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

the_steve posted:

Gods, I wish it were legal to bludgeon anybody who says that food service, especially fast food, doesn't count as "real" work.

I never worked food service (furthest down the food chain I ever went was cashier at a pharmacy), but I had friends who do/have, plus I have goddamn eyes and a functioning brain, so it isn't hard to piece together that work is work. Their 8+ hours last just as long as mine do.

But, like people keep saying: The cruelty is the point.
These fucks just need a lower class to feel superior to. Hand them a fry basket and they'd, well they'd say they were the exception to the rule and that everybody else was a stupid lazy and they should be the head manager by now if it weren't for all the sexual harassment complaints from the 16 year old, if we're being realistic.

Yep. The argument I always hear is that minimum wage jobs are "just teens" and that they should "just find a better job" if they want more pay.

The idea that nobody deserves to barely scrape by because they don't have the "right" job never crosses what passes for these people's minds, because the type of people who make this argument are comfortable and have either never worked a food service/retail job or haven't in decades.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 22, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Willatron posted:

Chiming in with this too. Hardest jobs I've had were hotel banquet server and local pub barback. The more I get paid and more benefits/stock options/vacation time I get the easier my job seems to get. At this point literally all I do is make/receive phone calls and have conversations. That's it. That gets me a livable income but hauling kegs, bussing tables, breaking up bar fights and cleaning an entire building five nights a week for 12 hour shifts had me needing two roommates to make ends meet.

Can you hook me up with a job having conversations with people on the phone that gives me financial comfort?

Unless it's sales or telemarketing.

EDIT:

DarkHorse posted:

Oh. I thought he was bragging about voting for Joe Biden

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yep. The argument I always hear is that minimum wage jobs are "just teens" and that they should "just find a better job" if they want more pay.

The idea that nobody deserves to barely scrape by because they don't have the "right" job never crosses what passes for these people's minds, because the type of people who make this argument are comfortable and have either never worked a food service/retail job or haven't in decades.

It also never occurs to them that the "for teens" jobs are still expected to be open during school hours (or late at night, when teens should be resting for school).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also, plenty of teens are their family's or their own main mean of income, and if they are of legal working age and working then pay them

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Like these are the same people who glorify little Johnny helping out on a small-town American farm but never think oh poo poo, well maybe Johnny lives near a Wendy's instead and his mom's paraplegic and his dad's been dead or out of the picture for years and I'm sure he'd like to be saving up for weed and games like everyone assumes but they're working overtime shifts and putting it into medical bills for mom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Why should we pay a livable wage to some kid with a paper route?"

Well, you want this kid to eventually become responsible for him or herself, right? What better way to help them learn how to start saving money than to pay them a living wage now so that they have what they need later?

Of course, then we wouldn't be punishing poor people by keeping them as slaves in low-paying jobs, and we can't have that because capitalism can't fail; it can only be failed by people not working hard enough.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I'm gonna put on my r/atheist hat and suggest that American Christianity (maybe most religion, idk) plays a huge part into why so many people don't advocate harder for better working conditions/wages. Or just advocate for a better society in general.

Why make a fuss about your lovely job when you just have to be pious your whole life and then get eternal happiness? Who cares if Bezos is going to be a literal trillionaire if I'm going to heaven anyway? It's like slaveowners letting slaves keep bibles but like, no other literature. A slave who is promised a wonderful afterlife is less likely to fight back.

I guess the gist of what I'm saying is that people might care more about their time on earth if they weren't so certain that it basically didn't matter anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

It still surprises me every time that there are people who take religion seriously and not as a vague community/tradition/general guidelines thing.

Like I know Muslims who aren't super sharia law hardcore, but do the no pork no booze thing as a "good" way to live, kinda like how people might avoid artificial food additives or excessive plastic packaging. They aren't assholes about it and it doesn't define their whole lives. I know Christians who go to church to mainly sing songs with people they don't see except at Christmas or Easter and generally think too much personal indulgence is to be avoided. Same deal, they aren't super heaven and hell, eternal afterlife, cleanse sins and hate gays types.

I get that chill approach to religion. I don't get the psychotic on-steroids life-defining ram-it-down-others'-throats thing.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 22, 2021