Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsCXtS07fvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

sethsez posted:

Much like new music from My Bloody Valentine, a new Timesplitters seems to be teased every few years before vanishing back into the shadows. I won't believe it until I'm about halfway through the finished product.

This case seems to be the most serious I've because of them reforming Free Radical under the original leadership at least

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

not even gonna show me ray traced dismemberment? shame

the quotes were funny though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cool idea, some stuff looks great, but the lightsabers do not work at all. They look worse than the original, possibly worse than in Jedi Knight

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Arivia posted:

technically that comes after doom 3 as it was released as part of bfg edition :smuggo:

NRFTL debuted on the 2010 port of Doom 2 on the 360, so after Doom 3, but before D3 Lost Missions

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so I've been trying to play Project Brutality on the hardest difficulty

loving hell chaingunners are EVIL

also the shotgunners who get riot shields can gently caress right off

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Nobody should play any of the official Doom or Doom2 releases because that is time you could be spending with the ENDLESS library of absolutely fantastic megawads

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Long Days crashed my laptop

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

treat posted:

Nobody should play any of the official Doom or Doom2 releases because that is time you could be spending with the ENDLESS library of absolutely fantastic megawads

Hard to disagree with this tbh

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

The Kins posted:

I highly, highly recommend this. It's a great tribute.

Meanwhile,
https://twitter.com/Awesreek/status/1395424082754146307

I'm surprised they're aiming for a year and a half in Early Access. I figured it would be a year at most like the Early Access games that New Blood published. Either way, the game looks really interesting.

EDIT: Did a quick lookup, and there are comparable games from 1C and other publishers that have been in EA since 2019, so I guess I spoke too soon.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 21, 2021

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ive been playing Blade of Agony and it's pretty fun. i enjoyed the first episode a lot, but the second episode opened with a forced stealth level which i did not enjoy. also i have not gotten a chaingun yet which is bullshit

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

treat posted:

Hard disagree. To truly appreciate the wealth and breadth of megawads, you need to have a baseline to compare them to.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Imo play Doom 1/2 campaigns until you get sick of them and then stop and play fan wads instead. They both broadly get worse as they go, and it’s not like you’re missing out on the thrilling boss fight or plot or anything

Weedle
May 31, 2006

also, play heretic

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

25 years of good wads is great but I do love the simplicity of the original levels.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Weedle posted:

also, play heretic

Episode 1 at least. Kind of falls off as it goes

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

you are absolutely missing out if you dont play at least the og doom 1 campaign

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
We have a Doom WAD Club thread where community-made WADs are played and discussed, I highly recommend checking it out!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Weedle posted:

also, play heretic
Heretic is really pretty and fun, I really enjoyed most of my recent playthrough. Except the last weapon is really loving weird.

SeANMcBAY posted:

25 years of good wads is great but I do love the simplicity of the original levels.
There's a lot of stuff in doom 1 and 2 where you go ha, that's really neat or it gets your imagination going.

I honestly do think modern level design could do with pulling more from older fps titles where they needed to convey ideas more implicitly to get the point across though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Spiderdrake posted:

Heretic is really pretty and fun, I really enjoyed most of my recent playthrough. Except the last weapon is really loving weird.

The firemace is such a weird weapon. I don't understand it, really. I mean, it's useable, you can kill stuff with it, but everything about it is bizarre. Is there some sort of post-mortem or something on Heretic and its development? That could be really interesting, I'd love to hear them explain why they made some design decisions.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the firemace seems like a weapon that never got properly finished and didnt have a niche in the arsenal, but they just threw it in anyway because then they could say the full version had x number of extra weapons vs the shareware game. the metal balls it shoots are just flat gradient spheres and they don't fit the art style at all. it's so bizarre that it almost seems like a daikatana weapon....

maybe it was john romeros contribution to heretic? he was a producer on it after all.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

skasion posted:

Cool idea, some stuff looks great, but the lightsabers do not work at all. They look worse than the original, possibly worse than in Jedi Knight

None of that stuff is converted yet it looks like, lightsabres, smoke, etc.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Arivia posted:

okay, so that means once you're done doom 2 you have to download the official addons tnt evilution and plutonia and play those too

if you want to be completionist you should play the master levels too, but god is that not loving worth it at all

sweet, thanks for all the recs you and everyone else. i assume i can download these in the switch version so that's the plan after i finish the remaining :doom:s.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So what does this AT&T / Warner thing mean for the No One Lives Forever IP? That game must be cursed.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I would love a post mortem on the firemace. It’s so weird. Someone should tweet at Romero and see if he has any memories about that - he worked closely with Raven on the game so it’s not impossible.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

sweet, thanks for all the recs you and everyone else. i assume i can download these in the switch version so that's the plan after i finish the remaining :doom:s.

Yep, everything we’ve mentioned is available for the Switch ports of one Doom game or the other.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Firemace also only spawns one instance of itself on the level, even when multiple have been placed by the level designer (it picks one spawn point randomly), and even then it only has a 75% chance of spawning. It's very weird at every level.

Here's a new mod release that's pretty drat fun from the two levels I've played of it so far: Tarnsman's Projectile Hell is a 36-level TC for GZDoom and Eternity, delving deep into the combined Touhou/Taken/Козият рог cinematic universe.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Christ, those weapon replacements are awful.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The fire mace shoots bouncy fake physics balls though, that's pretty neat for early 90s fps.

The Kins posted:

Touhou/Taken/Козият рог cinematic universe.

Go on...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The fire mace is a fun, weird gun but it’s not a BFG despite going in the slot where you’d expect one and being in a game where you definitely want one. It does feel like they weren’t really sure what they were going for with it apart from “hey check out this weird thing we made”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1395567577120735232?s=20

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Wait, is this actually Action Doom 3? Is Scuba Steve involved?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't think so Oshy always makes joke URLs. Gloomwood has thiefwithguns.com

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ive been playing Blade of Agony and it's pretty fun. i enjoyed the first episode a lot, but the second episode opened with a forced stealth level which i did not enjoy. also i have not gotten a chaingun yet which is bullshit

its certainly not the worst stealth level ever, but I agree that it absolutely kills the pacing. Does not help that the level goes on FOREVER and a day. I admire the hell out of the mod, and I overall have a great time with it. Its not just "oh look, this is tecnically impressive".

Level design is very solid, gunfights are punchy, and there's just a ton of polish across the whole project.

But yeah, some of the levels are like 50% way too drat large.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

koren posted:

Christ, those weapon replacements are awful.

They really are. The whole wad comes across like a joke but those guns make it feel like a joke that's being intentionally hateful.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

skasion posted:

The fire mace is a fun, weird gun but it’s not a BFG despite going in the slot where you’d expect one and being in a game where you definitely want one. It does feel like they weren’t really sure what they were going for with it apart from “hey check out this weird thing we made”

Someone should design a new BFG weapon for heretic.

That isn't the wraithverge

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flannelette posted:

I think the Wraithverge is a scrapped idea from Quake. In one interview before it was released, Romero (I think) mentioned a weapon design they tried that spawned a bunch of souls that flew around and attacked enemies. They cut it because it caused PCs of the day to chug horribly (same reason for killing the original BFG in Doom).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Flannelette posted:

There's a balance mod called wayfarer that has a pretty good firemace replacement. Normal mode its like a railgun, with tome its like a bfg blast with no projectile. The mod overall is really good too, even for a vanilla-ish playthrough

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was there when they made the fire mace. i told them to make it lovely. as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The fire mace is still good, it's just very "wait, this... What?" for its weapon slot.