Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Sometimes I think about rebooting this thread because 2000+ pages over a decade might be a little imposing for newcomers, and some people really don't like megathreads. Then I remembered that the C-SPAM megathread dedicated to misspelling the word "trump" racked up four times the pages in like three months and I stop caring. I should probably update the OPs soon.

I think Tim Cain at Obsidian still has the source code to the original 2D games, so I suspect if anything's gonna get an update, it's those, in the name of Game Pass Filler historical preservation.
It's a very Marmite Doom mod - you'll either love it's utterly unforgiving gameplay obsessively or liken it to penile degloving. If you've got half an hour spare, here's IcarusLiv3s giving it another try after previously bouncing off of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCKHwu_wQAw

I appreciate the dedication to making HD but man I would not want to try and play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I started the modding thread for Fallout New Vegas that is going to be 10 or 11 years old. It’s insane.

Did you put boobs on a mole rat?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TreyPowell1964/status/1393749567112417282?s=20

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

Did you put boobs on a mole rat?

I did not! But I’m very proud that some intrepid goon (I assume) went ahead and made my throwaway joke a beautiful reality.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im giving ion fury another shot after quitting it halfway through when i got put off by the void point guys turning out to be huge nazis

its a fun game but it does hurt for enemy and weapon variety

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im giving ion fury another shot after quitting it halfway through when i got put off by the void point guys turning out to be huge nazis

its a fun game but it does hurt for enemy and weapon variety

they stopped being nazis, eh

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

I mean if you already paid and can't get a refund, might as well play it. It was on sale in early access for a long time (over a year I think?) before the developer stuff emerged. Didn't know anything about nazis though, only the homophobia :ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tim Thomas posted:

what does this mean? did they finally apologize for circling the wagons on the one dev who made a bunch of transphobic comments, calling all complaints about it the sjw agenda?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
It's pretty impressive, they milkshake ducked themselves so fast after launch that I was able to get a Steam refund. Usually you want to wait until after the refund window before going full mask-off.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

site posted:

what does this mean? did they finally apologize for circling the wagons on the one dev who made a bunch of transphobic comments, calling all complaints about it the sjw agenda?

to my knowledge they haven't apologized

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They did apologize at first and then mostly went back on it when chuds started to review bomb the game.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
I do feel bad for the other people that worked on that that had no idea, that sucks for them although I feel less bad for them than the people the assholes targeted

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

no, i was just outside the refund period by the time it came out, because i'd bought it in early access. i stopped playing it even so cause it kind of soured the experience, but at this point i figured i might as well finish it, since it's not like they're paid per hour of my playtime. if i could un-give them my money i would.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

iirc the insane bigot on the ion maiden team is a veteran duke3d modder who they all relied on to get build running properly

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I tried the original Duke tonight and it’s a lot better than I expected an early 90s non-Japanese made platformer to be. I’m only halfway into episode 1 but not too much bullshit so far. Maybe I’ll actually finish it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise! This just landed:

This is so recent that the only version I could find online in non-screenshot form is in German.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

gently caress yes. Hopefully they can get some ports of the older games out as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nice

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Much like new music from My Bloody Valentine, a new Timesplitters seems to be teased every few years before vanishing back into the shadows. I won't believe it until I'm about halfway through the finished product.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Surprise! This just landed:

This is so recent that the only version I could find online in non-screenshot form is in German.

:sickos:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sucks cause its with THQ Nordic/Embracer group and I'm still not buying anything from them.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm playing through all of doom for the first time and i'm on thy flesh consumed. what the gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i'm playing through all of doom for the first time and i'm on thy flesh consumed. what the gently caress.

Haha

Ha

Ha

No but seriously if you can get through the absolutely devastating 1-2 combo of the first two maps it gets way easier.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

skip to doom 2, thy flesh consumed is terrible

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

sethsez posted:

Much like new music from My Bloody Valentine, a new Timesplitters seems to be teased every few years before vanishing back into the shadows. I won't believe it until I'm about halfway through the finished product.

For some reason I thought the latest album was in 2018 but nope, that poo poo dropped all the way back in 2013. drat. Hopefully we won't have to wait 22 years for the next one. :negative:

I wouldn't mind Timesplitters Future Perfect on PC for sure....

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i physically can't skip it, it's triggered my git gud reflex. i'm through the first few levels and m1 and m2 were brutal. 3 and 4 were merely very hosed up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

skip to doom 2, thy flesh consumed is terrible

It's not. It's just not paced well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SeANMcBAY posted:

I tried the original Duke tonight and it’s a lot better than I expected an early 90s non-Japanese made platformer to be. I’m only halfway into episode 1 but not too much bullshit so far. Maybe I’ll actually finish it.

Yeah, it's surprisingly solid for a 90s PC tile-scrolling platformer. Duke II also has generally solid mechanics, but I just can't get over how small the viewport is, you can barely see anything in front of Duke. It makes boss battles in particular extremely aggravating.

I have no idea how I ever beat that game.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 20, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've never played the original Duke games. Always meant to, and I was aware of them. Imagine my surprise when DN3D comes out with titties, gibs, and explosions, and I'm there wondering "wait... The goofy sidescrolling guy?! Really??"

I'm 100% the games are way better than Gateworld, but they remind me of Gateworld, and holy poo poo, gently caress that game.

Gateworld is awful trash.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Foul Fowl posted:

i physically can't skip it, it's triggered my git gud reflex. i'm through the first few levels and m1 and m2 were brutal. 3 and 4 were merely very hosed up.
Don't skip it, just play it after Doom 2, as is the correct order.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SeANMcBAY posted:

OG Duke's biggest problem is that a few of the levels really poo poo the bed. One of them around the halfway mark is a tedious maze with no joy to be derived from it.

If you haven't been worn down after finishing the game, also check out the indie game MURI which is a pretty direct homage to Duke 1.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

If you haven't been worn down after finishing the game, also check out the indie game MURI which is a pretty direct homage to Duke 1.
I highly, highly recommend this. It's a great tribute.

Meanwhile,
https://twitter.com/Awesreek/status/1395424082754146307

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Don't skip it, just play it after Doom 2, as is the correct order.

too late, i already beat it :doom:

i'm playing them all on switch up to doom 3, which is the only one i actually played when it came out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

too late, i already beat it :doom:

i'm playing them all on switch up to doom 3, which is the only one i actually played when it came out.

okay, so that means once you're done doom 2 you have to download the official addons tnt evilution and plutonia and play those too

if you want to be completionist you should play the master levels too, but god is that not loving worth it at all

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you forgot no rest for the living

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

you forgot no rest for the living

technically that comes after doom 3 as it was released as part of bfg edition :smuggo:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
technically it's immediately after doom 2 before tnt so :P

Weedle
May 31, 2006

no rest for the living was originally released with the xbox 360 version of doom 2 in 2010, so you should play it right after you finish doom 2 rpg on your flip phone

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

no rest for the living was originally released with the xbox 360 version of doom 2 in 2010, so you should play it right after you finish doom 2 rpg on your flip phone

okay fine well whatever play nrftl it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Play Sigil too. It’s episode 5 of Doom 1.