Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I am fomo'in about those almost famous 6 LP and 7 LP+CD ultra box sets. $200 and $300 dollars, respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Honestly Dark Side isn’t even that big of an issue now because people want stupid money for nice copies of earlier pressings. Zeppelin is reaching the same territory. It’s so annoying how used records that were plentiful even just three years ago have basically doubled in price.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
There's a guy downtown selling records every weekend, and my partner and I swung by a couple weekends ago. I snagged:

- It's Hard (The Who)
- Bayou Country (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
- Points on the Curve (Wang Chung)
- Break Out (Pointer Sisters)
- More Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs (Marty Robbins)

My partner got himself 8th Wonder by the Sugarhill Gang. :3 I'm kicking myself now for passing up Donna Summer's Bad Girls..

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Contacted one of my favorite labels about a reprint. Said they’re already in the works of placing the order, and vinyl production is super backed up, early 2022 at best

Will you drat hipsters stop buying vinyl!

Telling these goddamn kids to get off my lawn is my bit!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Samsquamsch posted:

I'd never heard of Nadine Shah before, but now I own this record. Love her sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Sink-Nadine-Shah/dp/B084GSB476

$15, 12 left in stock. Cool album art, too.

Check it out on Spotify for a visual treat

Lol

incoherent posted:

I am fomo'in about those almost famous 6 LP and 7 LP+CD ultra box sets. $200 and $300 dollars, respectively.

:pwn:

Too rich for my blood. If i wanna listen to those songs I guess I’ll just have to play the movie. Too bad, it’s very nice.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trying to cool myself down a little bit by sharing some of the things I've found lately. I have yet to exhaust the local stuff but as you know, I'm pretty easily amused.

And first person to recognize this album from the artwork wins a free cat:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And here, I've been watching a lot of old SCTV eps over the past few days. Does this/not look like a drat piece of artwork from an SCTV ep.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And because I'm just a playboy at heart:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

petit choux posted:

And first person to recognize this album from the artwork wins a free cat:

Keep the cat that's Steppenwolf

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hot Diggity! posted:

:sickos:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Those Odetta albums are pristine, BTW. I'm not familiar with her work, just that she was real popular among like early hippies/folk music folk. I'll have to give her a listen. And at like nearly $20, these are some of the more valuable records in my collection.

I was just joking with the wife about my record collection vs. what's going on in the Amsterdam Tulip Craze and I told her, "I'd hoped the rising tide would have lifted all boats" LOL.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here, as I'm sure you're all aware, this is basically who Madeline Kahn was parodying in Blazing Saddles.

If you want to do a pretty harsh joke, put Bowie's face in place of hers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Those Odetta albums are pristine, BTW. I'm not familiar with her work, just that she was real popular among like early hippies/folk music folk. I'll have to give her a listen. And at like nearly $20, these are some of the more valuable records in my collection.

Odetta is cool. Worth a listen.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Hot Diggity! posted:

Harsh but fair. One of the few bands you're better off listening to the greatest hits of unfortunately.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Harsh but fair. One of the few bands you're better off listening to the greatest hits of unfortunately.

Yeah, that's what I grew up with, the greatest hits. Interested to know what the song, "F@ggot" is about.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Yeah, that's what I grew up with, the greatest hits. Interested to know what the song, "F@ggot" is about.

Me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Yeah, that’s a way better album cover than album.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Steppenwolf is an easy finalist contender for "shittiest band that boomers continue to inflict on the world."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've been in such a foul mood 'cause the only Residents dates that have apparently been officially cancelled are four out of the five shows I had tickets to. But my Cardiacs record is on my doorstep after over a month and a half of waiting aaaaaaaand

:suicide:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, that’s a way better album cover than album.

Well it's Vietnam protest songs, some of which probably have aged horribly. The title track is general enough though that it might still be relevant? Then there's songs like "Don't Step on the Grass, Sam" which my dumb rear end can't figure out if it's pro or anti weed.

Anyways This is the only Steppenwolf album anyone needs.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
Not sure if anyone is into soundtracks for “so bad it’s good” type 80s martial arts movies, but Miami Connection is being released on vinyl for the first time: https://enjoytheriderecords.com/collections/enjoy-the-ride-records/products/miami-connection-soundtrack-etr119

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It must be cheesy cult hit movie record night because I just got an email from Ship to Shore for the Maniac Cop soundtrack:

https://shiptoshoremedia.com/collections/pre-order/products/maniac-cop

if anyone's interested in it.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

Well it's Vietnam protest songs, some of which probably have aged horribly. The title track is general enough though that it might still be relevant? Then there's songs like "Don't Step on the Grass, Sam" which my dumb rear end can't figure out if it's pro or anti weed.

Anyways This is the only Steppenwolf album anyone needs.

I always liked this one https://www.discogs.com/Steppenwolf-Early-Steppenwolf/master/131512 for the 20minute psych freakout version of The Pusher.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh god Pusher isn't one of my favorites to begin with, I don't know if I can handle a 20 minute cut.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LOL sorry guys Imma have to listen to it sometime. They are in my head as something my older sister used to listen to. Anyway, I went on a little road trip today and went thrifting while I was at it, the only thing really worth mentioning is I got a copy of Threepenny Opera with Sammy Davis Jr., and also another Skeeter Davis album.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh god Pusher isn't one of my favorites to begin with, I don't know if I can handle a 20 minute cut.

Haha. Well the song doesn't become recognizable until about 15 minute in. Up to that point it is an experimental noise fest. Mostly drums, weird feedback and a little carnival interlude, as was the fashion at the time. Fond memories skipping school and getting high on crappy weed thinking this was some kinda rare record we were privy to. Soooooo trippy man!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Turbinosamente posted:

It must be cheesy cult hit movie record night because I just got an email from Ship to Shore for the Maniac Cop soundtrack:

https://shiptoshoremedia.com/collections/pre-order/products/maniac-cop

if anyone's interested in it.

It was the first movie on The Last Drive-In tonight (the second? Maniac Cop 2!). It’s definitely got some jams ha.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was the first movie on The Last Drive-In tonight (the second? Maniac Cop 2!). It’s definitely got some jams ha.

I use to love Joe Bob Briggs until I found out he's a Nazi.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Kinda surprised with a name like that.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Jesus, WTF, me too then.

sporklift posted:

Haha. Well the song doesn't become recognizable until about 15 minute in. Up to that point it is an experimental noise fest. Mostly drums, weird feedback and a little carnival interlude, as was the fashion at the time. Fond memories skipping school and getting high on crappy weed thinking this was some kinda rare record we were privy to. Soooooo trippy man!

Hell, I still do. It may have been their most creative moment, I still love doing poo poo like that all the time. But yeah, they remind me a lot of what you hear on most of the Brown Acid compilations. Some music is great for their time, and then some are great for all time. Particularly the ones I like.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm getting a bit of a noise when the tonearm retracts at the end of a record. I think it's rubbing against this thing? Do I just need a bit of WD-40 on the tonearm?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

actionjackson posted:

I'm getting a bit of a noise when the tonearm retracts at the end of a record. I think it's rubbing against this thing? Do I just need a bit of WD-40 on the tonearm?

Never use WD40. It is a water-penetrating oil and good for breaking up frozen nuts and bolts and you should never use it as a regular lubricant.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

petit choux posted:

Never use WD40. It is a water-penetrating oil and good for breaking up frozen nuts and bolts and you should never use it as a regular lubricant.

thanks. is the tonearm normally supposed to make contact with that black piece when moving towards and away from the record? that's definitely the source of the noise.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

actionjackson posted:

thanks. is the tonearm normally supposed to make contact with that black piece when moving towards and away from the record? that's definitely the source of the noise.

Well I thought so but you'd better get a better person on that question. You know there's a thread for old stereo gear that may get you an answer too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

petit choux posted:

Well I thought so but you'd better get a better person on that question. You know there's a thread for old stereo gear that may get you an answer too.

alright will do, I will probably stop by my record store and ask there as well

It would be weird if it wasn't supposed to touch it, otherwise what would be the point

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

actionjackson posted:

It would be weird if it wasn't supposed to touch it, otherwise what would be the point

I'm just the only person posting RN, most of the regulars ITT will have a good answer for you.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

actionjackson posted:

Well it’s definitely supposed to touch it when it lifts the tonearm up, so you would expect it to touch on return. It’s possible that whatever finish was factory on that part has worn and it’s rougher now and causing a sound (the same could be true for the underside of the tonearm). It’s also possible that it’s always made a sound and you never noticed it before. I doubt it’s anything to worry about.

Do you get the same noise when you manually return the tonearm, or just auto?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

petit choux posted:

it's an instrumental

the overly-defensive boomers in the comments section where I checked that out are all "they were a REALLY PROGRESSIVE BAND for their time, man. I think it's about Nixon. Or cigarettes, Canadians talk like British people, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Well it’s definitely supposed to touch it when it lifts the tonearm up, so you would expect it to touch on return. It’s possible that whatever finish was factory on that part has worn and it’s rougher now and causing a sound (the same could be true for the underside of the tonearm). It’s also possible that it’s always made a sound and you never noticed it before. I doubt it’s anything to worry about.

Do you get the same noise when you manually return the tonearm, or just auto?

I took another look, I didn't realize that this piece lifted the tonearm up and down. I'm not able to always replicate it, so I'm not sure what causes the noise to happen, and yeah it doesn't affect the turntable at all, it's just a bit of an annoyance.