Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I'm a fan of the sturgis spike that brought covid to the red states. That was funny.
The Biotech conference in Boston was linked to over 300 000 covid cases. Amazing.

The Inflatable Christmas Tree of Contagion is the funniest tho

Blitter fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hell yes, Maryland giving out $40k a day for 40 days if you get vaccinated. Then a grand prize of $400k.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 20, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hell, yes, Maryland giving out $40k a day for 40 days if you get vaccinated. Then a grand prize of $400k.

This is THE BEST lottery structure too (to get people to play, be interested)
Gj Maryland

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hell yes, Maryland giving out $40k a day for 40 days if you get vaccinated. Then a grand prize of $400k.

The 1 million lottery in Ohio is working pretty well as our vaccination numbers are picking up again. I'd wished they'd done more prizes rather than just 5 million dollar giveaways. Something like 250 20k prizes or 100 50k prizes seems like it would get more people in the door than just a few million dollar winners.

Maybe I am overestimating people's understanding of odds though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Lolie posted:

What's happened here is a lot of employers realising that they can save on overheads if they don't need to provide expensive office space for all of their employees five days per week, so a lot of employees are only going into the office once or twice a week.

On the one hand, great, but I hope they invest in better laptops because the corporate one I got for work has been a huge slow pain in the rear end.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The funniest thing about last year for me was ordering some toilet paper from a shady website and it too l

wilderthanmild posted:

The 1 million lottery in Ohio is working pretty well as our vaccination numbers are picking up again. I'd wished they'd done more prizes rather than just 5 million dollar giveaways. Something like 250 20k prizes or 100 50k prizes seems like it would get more people in the door than just a few million dollar winners.

Imagine if they were offering multiple $10K prizes for vaccinated folks. They would probably run out of vaccines.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trump getting corona was kind of amusing

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

wilderthanmild posted:

You are completely right and the key is they would misunderstand the odds but it would be greatly in the favor of people being interested and getting vaccinated.

You could have so very many 50k prizes and that's life-changing for the majority of people.

(50 chances out of say 3 million or whatever isn't much greater than one chance out of 3 million or whatever but a lot of people will think they have 50 times greater a chance to win, and that is what they would focus on rather than the overall longshot odds)

Spinz fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 20, 2021

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hollismason posted:

The funniest part was the massive change in the conservative mindset from "Covid is no big deal, why are we doing anything?" to "Please pray for President Trump, Lord Jesus protect him in your golden arms." Along with all of the "I would never mock someone who was sick, how dare you mock Trump for catching a deadly disease!"

Woulda been funnier had covid, y'know, finished the job. But I'm pretty sure he got that long term brain fog from oxygen deprivation at least.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Around here, every night at 8pm, people came out and...howled....to support nurses.... I will never understand that time. And because I live in a deep red part of a blue state, the howling lasted longer than mask mandates.

This is nowhere near as ridiculous as the fighter jets going overhead to....also....support nurses or something. I swear, every day was setting a new record for how dumb this country can be. Now we're just setting plunging the depths in far worse ways.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Hollismason posted:

If Trump's staff had let him do his idea of ripping open his dress shirt to reveal a Superman shirt underneath when he left the hospital, that would have been one of the funniest things of all time. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/trump-superman-shirt-surprise-hospital-coronavirus.html

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

You have no idea.

The majority of people who are vaccine hesitant think they have equal chances of dying from COVID as they do from J&J and think 95% effective protection means it’s pointless since “You can still get sick.”

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

MadJackal posted:

95% effective protection means it’s pointless since “You can still get sick.”

Most of the doomposters in this thread believe this as well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Remember all the adults who'd apparently never learned how to wash their hands? LOL.

before covid my coworkers noted that i wash my hands after going to the bathroom and after touching doors and working with large groups of people, and they were like "i don't see what the big deal is"

after covid they were like "omg how did you KNOW about the tiny animals that live on your skin ALL ALONG"

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

gohuskies posted:

Most of the doomposters in this thread believe this as well.

I think most 'doomposters' are supporters of vaccination, NPI and protecting people that won't see the full efficacy (the aged, or those with autoimmune disorders) and those who cannot yet be vaccinated (young children).

As someone who cares about significantly more than 20 people, I find that 5% suitably concerning too. It's why I am enraged by the dismissal of cautionary principles, in this, our second year of the worst pandemic in a century.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If we're talking about early cringe pandemic, let me remind you about literally everything to do with this

https://twitter.com/michale_price/status/1241939725121921025

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I live in Maryland and am vaxxed :toot:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Blitter posted:

As someone who cares about significantly more than 20 people, I find that 5% suitably concerning too.

wilderthanmild posted:

:discourse:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
Hoe about Madonna's incredibly relatable video from her bath?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UYU4Slh34I

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

As I sit in the emergency vet waiting to see if my elderly herding dog is going to live or die (apparently she's in stage Holy gently caress kidney failure. Who knew?), someone got into an argument outside] over the required masking while their dog trembled. Cops may have been called.

Over a mask.

While their dog is sick.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Blitter posted:

I think most 'doomposters' are supporters of vaccination, NPI and protecting people that won't see the full efficacy (the aged, or those with autoimmune disorders) and those who cannot yet be vaccinated (young children).

As someone who cares about significantly more than 20 people, I find that 5% suitably concerning too. It's why I am enraged by the dismissal of cautionary principles, in this, our second year of the worst pandemic in a century.

last thread you helped convince someone who was part of a surgical team not to go to Uganda because of vaccine efficacy doubts

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
hell yeah digging the cringe reminiscing. what a loving weird year it's been

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
One of the cringiest things was basically every big corporation starting their commercials with some variation of "In these difficult times we just want you to know that XYZ corporation is here for you" and it would be like Chevrolet or Chipotle.

Fake concern from multi billion dollar corporations that want you to keep buying their bullshit during the pandemic really enraged me early on.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Inept posted:

last thread you helped convince someone who was part of a surgical team not to go to Uganda because of vaccine efficacy doubts

Well gently caress, clearly linking a paper and advocating caution when travelling during a pandemic is just an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

Don't recall anyone mentioning that it was part of a medical team, but then I'd expect them to be more than capable of reading it and making their own call.

You want to frame that as antivax doomposting, fine, whatever.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
In 2020 I think I laughed hardest at the video of boris johnson farting out that he was shaking hands with everybody he saw in all the covid wards he was visiting (!?) and the techno music faded up and BAM the beat drops and it's the dancing pallbearers of Ghana. I'd search it out but it'd kinda be painful to revisit now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

how about bruce springsteens weird as gently caress super bowl commercial is that covid

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Nothing would've been funnier than if Johnson or Trump carked it, but since they didn't, Christmas tree costume takes the prize

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Blitter posted:

The Biotech conference in Boston was linked to over 300 000 covid cases. Amazing.

Lol that conference seeded the first outbreaks in Indiana from Eli Lily staff that attended it. That poo poo ripped through their HQ complex because that company loves its loving open offices and lots of useless meetings.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m pissed off that it might be funnier than 911

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Question: would it have been funnier if Johnson died, or if Trump died? I think Johnson, because he's relatively fresher to power and unlike Trump he devoted years and years and years to scheming his way into the prime ministership and when he eventually got there it felt like a sort of inevitable moment, and it's really funny that he then got almost immediately blindsided by this extremely unusual crisis situation and it would have been even funnier if that killed him and everybody else was left to deal with the mess that he wrought.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Herman Cain was literally dying of covid while someone running his Twitter account was downplaying it lol

There was some funny stuff that came it of 9/11 but God drat covid wins by a long shot.

Ps. I just got my first dose, thank you, yes, I am a hero, thank you for saying that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1395519694694662152?s=21

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

blessed images thread plz

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Is this the part where we are reminiscing about the last 14 months? If so....

"bring out yer dead"

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Blitter posted:

Hoe about Madonna's incredibly relatable video from her bath?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UYU4Slh34I

Is this THE Madonna?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ben shapino posted:

Herman Cain was literally dying of covid while someone running his Twitter account was downplaying it lol

There was some funny stuff that came it of 9/11 but God drat covid wins by a long shot.

Ps. I just got my first dose, thank you, yes, I am a hero, thank you for saying that.

Wasn't he downplaying it AFTER he died too?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1225425296838529024

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mask mandates are banned in Iowa, thanks Kim!

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

As I sit in the emergency vet waiting to see if my elderly herding dog is going to live or die (apparently she's in stage Holy gently caress kidney failure. Who knew?), someone got into an argument outside] over the required masking while their dog trembled. Cops may have been called.

Over a mask.

While their dog is sick.

I'm sorry. I found out my cat was in stage Almost Holy gently caress kidney disease when I brought them in for a broken tooth to the local animal hospital back in february, standing outside in -15 temps because no people were allowed inside, which seems like it was the better situation.

I hope for the best, for you and your dog.