Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Just did a search on 'why do people hate James Corden'.
The one response that sums it up well is 'he is the english version of Jimmy Fallon'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just see him as a mild irritant these days and not really worth getting upset about, unlike Gervais who is fully nails-on-chalkboard unpleasant. Unless he's done something horrible that I'm not aware of.

stev fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 20, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I vaguely recall Corden being a well-known prick off-camera, but can't remember any details.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Is the friends reunion a new episode or is it doing the same thing that the inbetweeners did a few years ago?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

JoylessJester posted:

Is the friends reunion a new episode or is it doing the same thing that the inbetweeners did a few years ago?

It’s like the Fresh Prince reunion, it’s going to be the actors getting together and reminiscing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
James Cordon has defiled the sanctity of the Friends reunion.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I vaguely recall Corden being a well-known prick off-camera, but can't remember any details.

I believe he's just extremely thin-skinned.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

I'm in the Teletext FB group with the folk who do that if anyone here is sufficiently nerdy enough to join that: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeletextGroup/

Also I wrote this if any of you have a Pi with a Composite input on your telly and still have a teletext button: https://github.com/mpentler/teletext-twitter

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I want to believe Corden hate stems mainly from this Stewart Lee joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q60Y8tPzWpg

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think he just comes across as an unlikeable, smug wanker. Piers Morgan with the poo poo politics replaced with poo poo jokes.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think people dislike Corden because his success and ego are so clearly disproportionate to his actual talent.

I find it annoying that someone with that much money and means can't just get it together and lose some weight, but it would probably be bad for his brand now if he did.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah. You can dislike the guy without fat shaming.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I quite liked him in The Wrong Mans

Otherwise barely seen him in anything before he started doing stuff stateside, and that just seemed very asinine

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I mainly remember the incident at the awards show where Corden and Patrick Stuart got into a pathetic argument and it basically ended up with them trading 'you're fat' and 'you're old' insults at each other live on stage lol

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Squibsy posted:

I quite liked him in The Wrong Mans

Otherwise barely seen him in anything before he started doing stuff stateside, and that just seemed very asinine

Pretty much, sad he got into a fight with Patrick Stuart. He seems like a bit of dickhead but not going on a hate crusade or anything.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did you ever see his sports "panel show"/excuse-for-pissing-about on sky? My dad watched it, I do not know why.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

goatface posted:

Did you ever see his sports "panel show"/excuse-for-pissing-about on sky? My dad watched it, I do not know why.

I've only ever flicked by it and it's absolute dogshit, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse than A Question Of Sport.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

He's got an amazing case of continually failing upwards.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I know someone who worked with him when he did theatre earlier in his career and apparently he was really good as a theatre actor. He does seem to be generally pretty good in scripted work and writing. Doesn't really explain why he keeps getting presenting roles though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Every call centre has a guy working there who is usually the "face" of the call centre doing all sorts of annoying "buzz" events, that's possibly a creep but always just super in your face and annoying at all times.
James Corden is that guy, but for TV. So I can't help but dislike him.

I wonder how many people are still excited for the friends thing when they learn it's not an episode?

Also I'm going to mention Cursed which I recently watched on netflix. I'm saying it here because it's a mostly UK production and everyone in it was in like...doctors or Eastenders or etc. It was fine, not good, not great. But holy poo poo the sheer volume of hate on IMDB directed at it because Arthur is black is insane. This culture war stuff is really shocking at times.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think everyone knows deep down that any attempt at an actual new Friends episode (or worse yet a series) would be terrible and people don't actually want to watch a sitcom about a group of settled 53 year olds shouting homophobic slurs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What do you know, they actually got Alan Davies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UMy05lhlkM

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Paladinus posted:

That's gonna be a fun lineup.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Paladinus posted:

I don't really know how I feel here, I only actually know two of them and I can't say i like either of them.
Although this season I actually stopped watching - I don't really know why - so maybe I'm just bored of the format now? It is a lot of seasons I guess!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Paladinus posted:

Not just Alan Davies, but Victoria Coren Mitchell too. The only other contestant I'm at all familiar with is Desiree Burch, and that's only because I saw her on a clip from Dave Gorman's latest show on YouTube. Still, between Alan Davies and Victoria Coren Mitchell it'll be a solid lineup, and the more unknown people often end up the highlight regardless. The best part of that announcement though is Alex tidying up the set. I love the put up manservant relationship he fosters in the show, and how they manage to work it in to everything.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Series 11 TM best grand final?
Thought it was excellent, nowt wrong with any of it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Apart from Davies and Coren, I also knew Morgana Robinson, but only from House of Fools. She was a pretty good fit there, to be fair.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Robinson did a load of impressions on one of the iteration of Charlie Brooker's Wipe show as well. She's been in a lot of stuff that I imagine people here have probably seen even if they don't immediately recognise her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKDKt0lh3Y0

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mickolution posted:

I've only ever flicked by it and it's absolute dogshit, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse than A Question Of Sport.

It made They Think It's All Over look like the Marx Brothers

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

happyhippy posted:

Yeah it was really good. The photocopier task fell slightly flat but the rest was gold. Best prize task entry since the early days?

Between Alex having his head dunked in water, several blindfolded people stumbling into a bunker, Sarah firing a staple at Alex's head and Lee flailing a nail bat around I'm amazed there were no serious injuries.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 20, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cloudchamber posted:

Robinson did a load of impressions on one of the iteration of Charlie Brooker's Wipe show as well. She's been in a lot of stuff that I imagine people here have probably seen even if they don't immediately recognise her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKDKt0lh3Y0

I now remember I looked her up before and was surprised by this same fact then. :doh:

happyhippy posted:

They leaned quite heavily on Alex abuse and humiliation, which is always immensely funny.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think Robinson was on Toast of London maybe twice as different characters, all great

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Morgana’s Natalie Cassidy impression is probably one of my favourite things in all of reality.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, Alan and Victoria. Merry Christmas.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm personally excited for Guz Khan's manic energy, he was great in Man Like Mobeen. Here's a clip before he made it that always makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd4ygI0GHV8

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

stev posted:

Nah. You can dislike the guy without fat shaming.

I am a self hating fat dude :(

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Mike's prize task reveal was one of those classic Taskmaster moments that defines the series. Overall a decent series and much better than the previous one. That said, I think it still struggles a bit with devising constantly good tasks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sorry I'm not saying season 11 is bad, I just lost interest and I don't know why!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My experiments with TM so far have lead to the discovery that I can’t binge it. Any more than one episode at a time, and my eyes start to slide off it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Perfect Element posted:

I am a self hating fat dude :(

Well stop it you big goober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The Perfect Element posted:

I find it annoying that someone with that much money and means can't just get it together and lose some weight, but it would probably be bad for his brand now if he did.

staying fat didn't do much good for Rik Waller