Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

someone awful. posted:

Pretty sure that's Moraff's Ultra Blast

man, I had some massive shareware collection of moraffware games as a kid. there were like, tons of puzzle games and way too many varieties of mahjong tile matching games. it was great.

Holy poo poo... I had Moraff's Entrap, and I always thought I was the only one who ever played it. Man, that game was both weird, and also kind of the type of game that would've shown up in a movie back then, like it was fake and just made for the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

someone awful. posted:

Pretty sure that's Moraff's Ultra Blast

man, I had some massive shareware collection of moraffware games as a kid. there were like, tons of puzzle games and way too many varieties of mahjong tile matching games. it was great.

Yep, went digging on the internet archive and found it. https://archive.org/details/UBLAST The screen shot took me back.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Maigius posted:

Yep, went digging on the internet archive and found it. https://archive.org/details/UBLAST The screen shot took me back.

Hell yeah, now that's the kind of extremely thoughtful and cohesive visual design I grew up with

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Hell yeah, now that's the kind of extremely thoughtful and cohesive visual design I grew up with

Moraff's UltraBlast Features posted:

3) Now includes 2 beautiful brick imagesets and exploding balls!
4) Really cool artwork and sound effects!

Sure thing, game

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Wow, I had no idea Moraff's Super Blast got a revamped release! I have the original DOS version which I still occasionally load up nowadays for some nostalgia.

https://dosgames.com/game/superblast/

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 16, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

There are slightly newer versions if you pull up the Moraff site from a few years ago in the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20110103205447/http://www.softwarediversions.com/catalog/free_downloads.php

Believe it or not the company is still around, but only doing mahjong stuff now.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I've been trying to find this indie game that I was somewhat interested in a couple of years back. From what I remember, it was a 2D game, likely sprite-based and was about exploring planets that had numerous ruins from it. The goal was to write down what you thought what happened at the ruins, and could likely also look up what other people had written. It sounds like it was a bit of a boring concept, but I was somewhat intrigued about the concept and am interested in giving it a try.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Sounds like Elegy for a Dead World

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Text game (new-ish, maybe last decade?), its gimmick was that you could take metaphors from descriptions and use them as literal objects, like if the game described stars in the sky looking like embers from a dying fire, you could take an ember and use it to light your cigarette.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pierzak posted:

Text game (new-ish, maybe last decade?), its gimmick was that you could take metaphors from descriptions and use them as literal objects, like if the game described stars in the sky looking like embers from a dying fire, you could take an ember and use it to light your cigarette.

Sounds like PataNoir, there was a pure text adventure version of it too, here.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sounds like PataNoir, there was a pure text adventure version of it too, here.

Yes it is, and a pure text version is even better! Thanks!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
That just reminded me, if you like text adventures, you should play https://emshort.blog/2012/12/31/counterfeit-monkey

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ymgve posted:

That just reminded me, if you like text adventures, you should play https://emshort.blog/2012/12/31/counterfeit-monkey

Sounds delicious, will check.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I remember when, back when magazines came with CD-ROMs, I found this really fun combat game. You could choose to play as a tank or chopper (and maybe a buggy?) and had to blast an enemy base into smithereens. 2D, topdown perspective. It sounds almost exactly like Return Fire, but I distinctly remember the graphics being spritebased. It also included a level editor that I hosed around with, making long lines of exploding barrels and blowing them up.

This must have been around 1998, since I distinctly remember the magazine covering upcoming games like Homeworld, Shadowman and Alien vs Predator. Also included a review for a bad shooter called Hell-Copter, demo's for System Shock 2 and Slave Zero and a kick rear end screensaver of the first Quake.

I think the disk included the entire game, so it must have already been ancient at that time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I remember when, back when magazines came with CD-ROMs, I found this really fun combat game. You could choose to play as a tank or chopper (and maybe a buggy?) and had to blast an enemy base into smithereens. 2D, topdown perspective. It sounds almost exactly like Return Fire, but I distinctly remember the graphics being spritebased. It also included a level editor that I hosed around with, making long lines of exploding barrels and blowing them up.

This must have been around 1998, since I distinctly remember the magazine covering upcoming games like Homeworld, Shadowman and Alien vs Predator. Also included a review for a bad shooter called Hell-Copter, demo's for System Shock 2 and Slave Zero and a kick rear end screensaver of the first Quake.

I think the disk included the entire game, so it must have already been ancient at that time.

Probably Fire Power which Return Fire is basically a sequel to (same developer)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hi goons, for years I've been trying to remember a game i briefly played as a kid on my dads computer. It was a game in very early 3d where you had a tank/buggy which could transform into a spaceship, and you drove/flew around picking up little blue people to save then. In the end you flew them through a ring. The people looked a bit like lemmings and i think the tank had threads? I'm sure it wasn't a very good or well known game, but I'd just really like to know what it was.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Probably Fire Power which Return Fire is basically a sequel to (same developer)

And in the rare case it's not, there's also SWIV 3D.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Son of Rodney posted:

Hi goons, for years I've been trying to remember a game i briefly played as a kid on my dads computer. It was a game in very early 3d where you had a tank/buggy which could transform into a spaceship, and you drove/flew around picking up little blue people to save then. In the end you flew them through a ring. The people looked a bit like lemmings and i think the tank had threads? I'm sure it wasn't a very good or well known game, but I'd just really like to know what it was.

Sounds like Scorched Planet.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hakkesshu posted:

Sounds like Scorched Planet.

That's it! I am in awe, thanks a lot!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Forgot this thread existed, there's quite a few old DOS games I had on my family's ancient computer that I'd like to revisit as an adult. I'll just start with the first one that comes to mind. Tried looking for this a little while back on Google and came up with nothing, but that's probably just because I'm so vague on the details I remember.

It was a top-down 2D fantasy dungeon crawler game, one of those ones where everybody moves one square at a time. I remember fighting skeletons for sure, and maybe goblins and snakes.

You were able to equip specific armor parts all over your body; helm, breastplate, gauntlets, bracelet, ring, etc. and I remember one of the few times I got deep enough into a dungeon to find a cool helm, I put it on and it was actually cursed and lowered my AC or something and I couldn't take it off.

It was overall a pretty bright game. I remember a lot of light greys, and maybe the main character was blonde? It wasn't a dark, caverny dungeon-crawler. I think the first level was more like a castle.

I'm afraid that's all I can really remember. Again, I played it in the mid to late 90's on DOS to help put a timeframe on it. I'm sure my description probably describes dozens of shovelware from that era but maybe somebody can help me find this specific one!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

timp posted:

Forgot this thread existed, there's quite a few old DOS games I had on my family's ancient computer that I'd like to revisit as an adult. I'll just start with the first one that comes to mind. Tried looking for this a little while back on Google and came up with nothing, but that's probably just because I'm so vague on the details I remember.

It was a top-down 2D fantasy dungeon crawler game, one of those ones where everybody moves one square at a time. I remember fighting skeletons for sure, and maybe goblins and snakes.

You were able to equip specific armor parts all over your body; helm, breastplate, gauntlets, bracelet, ring, etc. and I remember one of the few times I got deep enough into a dungeon to find a cool helm, I put it on and it was actually cursed and lowered my AC or something and I couldn't take it off.

It was overall a pretty bright game. I remember a lot of light greys, and maybe the main character was blonde? It wasn't a dark, caverny dungeon-crawler. I think the first level was more like a castle.

I'm afraid that's all I can really remember. Again, I played it in the mid to late 90's on DOS to help put a timeframe on it. I'm sure my description probably describes dozens of shovelware from that era but maybe somebody can help me find this specific one!

Sounds like pretty much every Gold Box D&D game.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Sounds like pretty much every Gold Box D&D game.

I couldn't even tell you how I acquired the game either. It's like that plastic trey stacked full of floppy disks containing lovely games was always there, for as long as I could remember. Did my dad buy them? Did they come with something? Who the gently caress knows :psyduck:

EDIT: Looking through some images from Gold Box and they don't look familiar... https://www.google.com/search?q=gold+box+d%26d They actually look too high quality. The game I had was pretty low quality from a graphics standpoint (and probably a gameplay standpoint as well but that's what I'm looking to really test as a non-kid)

timp fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 20, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You could always try digging through CRPG Addict and see if you recognize anything. That man has covered pretty much every computer RPG up to the early 90s.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Were there points in the game where it told you to refer to an Adventurer's Journal?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

timp posted:

This sounds almost exactly like thread favourite Castle of the Winds, but that was for Windows 3 rather than DOS.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Quote-Unquote posted:

This sounds almost exactly like thread favourite Castle of the Winds, but that was for Windows 3 rather than DOS.

This does indeed look very, very familiar, but I'm not sure that's it. It could be but I'm not 100% (I definitely don't know the difference between Windows 3 and DOS so it could have been for a different ancient computer system)

I did remember one more thing about my mystery game though: at one point I got some equipment made out of "cobalt", like armor or a bow or some arrows or something. It was the first time I ever heard that word and I remember going to look it up as a result. Searching "Castle of the Winds cobalt" doesn't return anything

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I can't pinpoint any game with cobalt in it, sorry, but just thinking generally about the genre - from that time, if it's not one of the Gold Box games (though they varied a lot in graphical quality, plus this was an era where games regularly supported several graphics modes from CGA to VGA), then some other more or less obvious guesses are one of the earlier Ultima games, or maybe the Magic Candle games. I assume it wasn't text-based, or we'd have to consider Rogue, Nethack etc.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

timp posted:

This does indeed look very, very familiar, but I'm not sure that's it. It could be but I'm not 100% (I definitely don't know the difference between Windows 3 and DOS so it could have been for a different ancient computer system)

I did remember one more thing about my mystery game though: at one point I got some equipment made out of "cobalt", like armor or a bow or some arrows or something. It was the first time I ever heard that word and I remember going to look it up as a result. Searching "Castle of the Winds cobalt" doesn't return anything

If you clicked an icon to start the game it was windows. If it was a text ui it was dos

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

titties posted:

If you clicked an icon to start the game it was windows. If it was a text ui it was dos

caveat: dosshell

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

titties posted:

You could launch some DOS games in Windows
:goonsay:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, at the very least I remember being able to play Warcraft 2 in both DOS and Windows. You could only run the level editor in Windows though.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I've got a stumper. It was some free to play mmo from either 2004 or 2005 that I played for like a summer. It was 2d, I think the perspective was top down, and I think it had some focus on gathering/crafting. I want to say the newbie area was maybe beach or meadow themed. If I recall correctly, the player sprites were not especially well defined, I remember them looking kind of like characters in puzzle pirates, but I may be wrong on that. It wasn't Maple Story, but probably a contemporary of that. It was definitely 2004 or 2005 though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Ragnarok?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
No, the sprites were definitely mushier than Ragnarok Online. I don't think this was a very popular game, I had never heard of it at the time and haven't since

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There was this java browser game years ago. You'd make a hero and get a daily number of turns.

On the main screen there was a stats and inventory window, a mail window, guild window, a general store and an adventure window.

You'd click the bottom right adventure window and use a turn and have an encounter. In the encounter you could fight, talk or run. As you leveled up you could unlock different lands like the starting one was basic fantasy europe, one was japan and one was like a mountain you could fight dragons.

The site it was on had an bbs but there was also an in game mail system where you bought in game letters from the store to send people and you could attach money and items.

Also everything dropped Turnips.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SoR Blaze posted:

No, the sprites were definitely mushier than Ragnarok Online. I don't think this was a very popular game, I had never heard of it at the time and haven't since

Around that time I remember making fun of my younger brother for playing a game like that. The one he played was called legend of mystra or mystera or something like that. Highly doubt it was the same game (I feel like it looked vaguely similar to the SNES Zelda game but that could be just really foggy memory) but that’s what it reminds me of

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Around that time I remember making fun of my younger brother for playing a game like that. The one he played was called legend of mystra or mystera or something like that. Highly doubt it was the same game (I feel like it looked vaguely similar to the SNES Zelda game but that could be just really foggy memory) but that’s what it reminds me of

https://classic.graalonline.com/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SoR Blaze posted:

I've got a stumper. It was some free to play mmo from either 2004 or 2005 that I played for like a summer. It was 2d, I think the perspective was top down, and I think it had some focus on gathering/crafting. I want to say the newbie area was maybe beach or meadow themed. If I recall correctly, the player sprites were not especially well defined, I remember them looking kind of like characters in puzzle pirates, but I may be wrong on that. It wasn't Maple Story, but probably a contemporary of that. It was definitely 2004 or 2005 though.

Ashen Empires? Haven and Hearth?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

timp posted:

Unless you're thinking of the word 'kobold' I am not sure, then, sorry! Can't think of any RPGs with cobalt equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Quote-Unquote posted:

Unless you're thinking of the word 'kobold' I am not sure, then, sorry! Can't think of any RPGs with cobalt equipment.

Only one I can think of is IVAN, but that's not DOS era. First release is 2001, looks like. Possible mixup? Some of the other points look similar.