Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mediaphage posted:

keeping computers and tvs in the bedroom is a bad idea for sleep purposes even if it is popular.

I'm not trying to be combative here, but why is that a bad idea? Because the only thing I could think of is that it causes people to stay up watching tv or using the computer instead of sleeping, but I don't think that's specific to where they're located, i.e., they'd be just as likely to be up late wherever the tv or computer is located.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

I'm not trying to be combative here, but why is that a bad idea? Because the only thing I could think of is that it causes people to stay up watching tv or using the computer instead of sleeping, but I don't think that's specific to where they're located, i.e., they'd be just as likely to be up late wherever the tv or computer is located.

It’s bad “sleep hygiene” to do stuff in bed that’s not sleeping and/or horizontal recreation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

It’s bad “sleep hygiene” to do stuff in bed that’s not sleeping and/or horizontal recreation.

Its the same thing with reading in bed as well.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah, but I just figured that anyone who will sit in bed playing games/watching tv or using a computer, would probably do so at a desk or couch or such elsewhere and thus be at sleep deficit regardless. I could see for ergonomics or such though?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, but I just figured that anyone who will sit in bed playing games/watching tv or using a computer, would probably do so at a desk or couch or such elsewhere and thus be at sleep deficit regardless. I could see for ergonomics or such though?

The sleep hygiene theory isn’t exactly related to just getting as many hours as you need, the idea is that your brain should associate the bed with sleeping, not with “time to focus on text or glowing rectangles”. I think years ago I noticed a bit of improvement from bed routine things, but I don’t know how big of a deal it is if you’re already having no trouble falling and staying asleep.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

tuyop posted:

The sleep hygiene theory isn’t exactly related to just getting as many hours as you need, the idea is that your brain should associate the bed with sleeping, not with “time to focus on text or glowing rectangles”. I think years ago I noticed a bit of improvement from bed routine things, but I don’t know how big of a deal it is if you’re already having no trouble falling and staying asleep.

That makes sense

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve never had trouble falling and staying asleep and I’ve been playing games and reading in bed since the GBA got a backlight. So it depends on the person most likely.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My point is that a living room is part of the 'public' space of a house; the place where you have guests over to entertain them. It doesn't look nice to have your computer plonked in there, it's... unprofessional, for want of a better word, and makes you look like a teenager living in a dorm. Much like you wouldn't have your ironing board set up or laundry/mail strewn everywhere when guests are over - the difference being those things can be put away before people come over whereas a desktop computer can't. I would agree that having your computer in your bedroom isn't ideal either - the perfect scenario is to have a room set up as a home office space, that way all that stuff is out of sight of guests and also doesn't make you feel like you're having sex in the office if you have company over; but plenty of people don't have the luxury of a spare bedroom in which case I think putting it in the bedroom is a better compromise than having it in the living room. Sleep hygiene is a function of discipline more than anything else. Turn your computer off and don't pick up your phone once you've gone to bed. While you're at it, get out of the habit of using devices or watching tv in the dark - well lit rooms = awake time, darkness = sleepytime.

If your home is really so cramped that you have no choice but to do your computering in the living room, I feel like you should at least be considering using a MacBook rather than an iMac so that you can put it away somewhere when it's not in use.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

My point is that a living room is part of the 'public' space of a house; the place where you have guests over to entertain them. It doesn't look nice to have your computer plonked in there, it's... unprofessional, for want of a better word, and makes you look like a teenager living in a dorm. Much like you wouldn't have your ironing board set up or laundry/mail strewn everywhere when guests are over - the difference being those things can be put away before people come over whereas a desktop computer can't. I would agree that having your computer in your bedroom isn't ideal either - the perfect scenario is to have a room set up as a home office space, that way all that stuff is out of sight of guests and also doesn't make you feel like you're having sex in the office if you have company over; but plenty of people don't have the luxury of a spare bedroom in which case I think putting it in the bedroom is a better compromise than having it in the living room. Sleep hygiene is a function of discipline more than anything else. Turn your computer off and don't pick up your phone once you've gone to bed. While you're at it, get out of the habit of using devices or watching tv in the dark - well lit rooms = awake time, darkness = sleepytime.

If your home is really so cramped that you have no choice but to do your computering in the living room, I feel like you should at least be considering using a MacBook rather than an iMac so that you can put it away somewhere when it's not in use.

If you were talking about a PC I'd agree but the Mac is much more tasteful.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

This is some galaxy-brained, elitist nonsense.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Now tell us your thoughts on having a console in the living room.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

lol

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

The Lord Bude posted:

What in the world

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

If you were talking about a PC I'd agree but the Mac is much more tasteful.

I’ll agree that having a Mac in the living room would look nicer than a PC but I still think it’s far from ideal.

MarcusSA posted:

Totally different, because you can have them discretely tucked away in the TV cabinet. Much like having an Apple TV is fine; or having a DVD player was fine 20 years ago.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

agreed

one of the worst thing for couples is actually sleeping together

the proest setup is to have separate rooms for the couple for best possible sleep hygiene

then have separate work room area so they can take calls or meetings without bothering each other
then finally a common living room area maybe for even an imac

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Good lord that’s a post.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Imagine, the sheet barbarism of owning a computer. Come, Hyacinth, we shan't be taking tea here again.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The Lord Bude posted:

Sir, this is an Apple store

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

gwyneth paltrow rear end post

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I wonder if Panera Bread iMac Man is still alive. I'm sure he'd appreciate the much lighter new iMacs.

MarcusSA posted:

Clearly only acceptable if you hide it behind the cabinet doors with the rest of your...

The Lord Bude posted:

Totally different, because you can have them discretely tucked away in the TV cabinet. Much like having an Apple TV is fine; or having a DVD player was fine 20 years ago.
gently caress.

Can we change the thread title:

The Lord Bude posted:

If your computer is in your living room then you've already failed

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

well why not posted:

gwyneth paltrow rear end post

Can't be, there's already a "this smells like my Quadra" candle

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

doesn't make you feel like you're having sex in the office

This is my pick for new thread title off that, because let's be honest this post needs immortalising in the thread title.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

njsykora posted:

This is my pick for new thread title off that, because let's be honest this post needs immortalising in the thread title.
poo poo I missed that one some how, there was so much text I just couldn't narrow it down.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

My point is that a living room is part of the 'public' space of a house; the place where you have guests over to entertain them.

Spoken like someone who's never lived in New England.

The kitchen is where you have guests over, not the living room, you weirdo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

This is the most bougie rear end boomer poo poo I've ever read lmfao. Do you loving realize how much of my monthly budget would just instantly loving vaporize if I decided to get an apartment with one extra room where I'm living now? lmfao

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Interior decorating has always been a rich (wo)man’s game. I think it is more than a little unrealistic to expect the ‘principles of interior decorating’ to not be classist, or to get upset about how much money it costs to have the nicest and most stylish home, especially in a highly desirable location.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 21, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Lord Bude posted:

You lost me at 'living room'

Guess I could put up cardboard partitions in my lovely SRO and pretend to travel from kitchen to mancave to bodies basement while shouting for Jeeves the butler to hit me up with some Grey Poupon but nahhh

Meanwhile, in actual Mac Hardware non-news:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/21/2021-macbook-pro-models-m1x-no-logo/

Rumor claims the words 'MacBook Pro' will go away from the bottom of the screen on new rMBPs, adopt the 'M1X' moniker, and it's all gonna happen according to some leaker who successfully predicted that iPads would get the M1 and that Apple would pinch out the 24 inch model before the 27-30"

Funny I don't see any on my lovely 13-inch rMBP, so more evidence that the new rMBPs are looking more and more like they stole ideas from the 2015 models, the last near perfect laptops Apple has ever released?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 21, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

italian quid posted:

This is the most bougie rear end boomer poo poo I've ever read lmfao. Do you loving realize how much of my monthly budget would just instantly loving vaporize if I decided to get an apartment with one extra room where I'm living now? lmfao

but what will your guests think if they can see a piece of electronics instead of some stately tapestries? at least consider hiding your shameful macbook in a closet, or if you're a trashy prole, perhaps in your storage ottoman??

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You know when people first started getting telephones for the home they thought it was a crass piece of technology so they would put it in a completely separate room away from company. I think they did it on downton abbey too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Inept posted:

but what will your guests think if they can see a piece of electronics instead of some stately tapestries? at least consider hiding your shameful macbook in a closet, or if you're a trashy prole, perhaps in your storage ottoman??

Can't have an iMac, think of how many "live, love, life" panels you can put in your living room if one wasn't in there.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Holy poo poo lmao

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Speaking in my professional capacity as someone who writes a lot of words about comparatively less significant design details of Apple products I'm not actually in the market for, what the gently caress just happened?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Fedule posted:

Speaking in my professional capacity as someone who writes a lot of words about comparatively less significant design details of Apple products I'm not actually in the market for, what the gently caress just happened?

It all started with the bezels...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

italian quid posted:

I do, which is why I made a point of saying that having a room as an office was the ideal, but that plenty of people don't have the space, in which case sticking the computer in the bedroom was still a better option than the living room. I quite happily accept that when space is at a premium, you have to make difficult decisions on the balance between aesthetics and function. I just think that having a desktop computer in your living area should be the worst case scenario option, not a first choice.

Personally, If I lived in a studio apartment or even a 1 bedroom apartment, I'd have a Macbook Pro as a computer - then it could be put away when not in use.

italian quid posted:

think of how many "live, love, life" panels you can put in your living room if one wasn't in there.

That would be far, far worse. I'm vehemently anti wall words for the record.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 21, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We actually bought a Samsung monitor with white bezels years ago because it was going to be out in our main living area. So not a crazy idea!

(It also uses a power brick. Ugh.)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/nickstatt/status/1395769593138974721?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I am shocked that the 60 year old CEO isn't a gamer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

why don't televisions have white bezels then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

FuturePastNow posted:

why don't televisions have white bezels then

Because only trash people with no sense of interior design purchase televisions