Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

What percentage of the gallon of diesel is lost to waste heat

Up to 2/3 like

Seph posted:

You're not considering engine efficiency here. Diesel engines only convert about 30% of the fuel's energy into kinetic energy, the rest is lost as heat and sound. Electric motors are about 95%. So you need to 3x that range at least.

Is saying. I did a fast edit and uhh slipped on that one important step.

E: ugh what a poo poo snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

e: wrong thread

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So is range while towing the only negative people are seeing here (and maybe the fact that this is a full size truck)? It seems that this inverter system is a pretty big deal. They mention being able to power food prep trailers and such. I can see being able to silently being able to run your ac/cooktop/fridge in your trailer for 10+ days as a cool tradeoff to a 40 min charge stop somewhere on the way to the campsite.

I am also excited by the new inverters in BEV, as all the cool new toys that are electric can be charged on site. like electric surfboards/foils & bikes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The other negative thing is the DCFC speed. Of course it's slow because it has a massive battery but 1C charging still isn't great by today's standards. It should be 300+kW.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The other negative thing is the DCFC speed. Of course it's slow because it has a massive battery but 1C charging still isn't great by today's standards. It should be 300+kW.

I suspect that might be a limitation/function of the BMS and price point they were trying to achieve.

Edit: https://www.thedrive.com/news/40696/how-ford-built-an-electric-f-150-that-can-do-real-work-for-40k
This article negates almost all of my statements in this thread previously. I was wrong on quite a few technical aspects.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 20, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
third negative is that it won't go on sale for a bit and unless supplier issues are resolved the production rate may be low

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

I suspect that might be a limitation/function of the BMS and price point they were trying to achieve.

I'm just hoping they're psyching us out, it's actually got an 800V battery pack, and that was just the 400V speed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OK, that's pretty damned cool, incorporating the "grille" into the bonnet.

McTinkerson posted:

Absolutely. It does look like they repurposed the front leaf spring pickup point for the new trailing arms, which is excellent. Same for the rear upper shock mounts.

They did a similar thing with the Mustang Cobra back in the '90s. Repurposed mounting points for the coil-spring live axle for an IRS subframe.

cruft posted:

Ah, okay, so that'd be a zero... *writing stuff down on an envelope* so yeah, I think this will work, if you carry around like 20 solar panels... have you ever read The Martian?

So, you're say an RTG in the bed would do the job? I can work with that.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I can't believe I'm saying it, but Ford might have just revealed the vehicle to take EVs mainstream. I'm blown away by the price/range/features.

TSLA should have been -5% today.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

At least for me, the 150kw charging isnt a big deal since I need to take the dogs to bathroom around every 2ish hours anyways.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Most or all here may already know this (especially the dude that also has a Bronco reservation) but Ford's reservation system doesn't really give you a whole lot of power or options when it comes to negotiating with the dealer so I'd reach out at some point and try and get something in writing that says they're not going to charge you a 10k ADM. If you don't have something like that before the order system goes live (this Fall?) then they can just convert your reservation to an order and you're basically boned, at that point you have zero negotiating power.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Most or all here may already know this (especially the dude that also has a Bronco reservation) but Ford's reservation system doesn't really give you a whole lot of power or options when it comes to negotiating with the dealer so I'd reach out at some point and try and get something in writing that says they're not going to charge you a 10k ADM. If you don't have something like that before the order system goes live (this Fall?) then they can just convert your reservation to an order and you're basically boned, at that point you have zero negotiating power.

Barging into this thread because I just put $100 down and had questions about the typical dealer markup for a car like this. I read your post about your Bronco ordering process as well.

So they basically took the Mach-E you specced out, converted it to a real production order without your consent, and put it on their showroom with $10K ADM when you told them to shove it up their rear end?

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 20, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If you don't mind travel there will certainly be dealers offering below invoice deals like for the Bronco. You might need to go to Iowa, though.

Edit:

quote:

Via Automotive News

May 20, 2021

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co. took about 20,000 reservations for the 2022 F-150 Lightning within 12 hours of the electric pickup's debut and will limit production in its first year on sale, according to CEO Jim Farley.

Farley, speaking Thursday on CNBC, said the company was "off to the races" after opening up order banks after the vehicle's Wednesday night reveal. Ford is taking $100 refundable deposits for the Lightning, which starts at $39,974 before shipping.

Speaking to reporters Wednesday evening, Farley said the company would limit production in the vehicle's first year on sale and that Ford already had "made a call on volume," but he declined to give a number. Ford took a similar strategy with the 2021 Mustang Mach-E electric crossover, limiting it to 50,000 vehicles in its first year of production.

Wolfe Research analyst Rod Lache, in an investor note Thursday, estimated Lightning production would be limited to 80,000 pickups per year, based on capacity data from parts plants that supply the truck.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 20, 2021

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

I can't believe I'm saying it, but Ford might have just revealed the vehicle to take EVs mainstream. I'm blown away by the price/range/features.

TSLA should have been -5% today.

Yeah, I feel like this is finally the vehicle where the 'traditional' automaker will match/eclipse Tesla in an EV (at least it looks that way..). I'm still pretty surprised by the price.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

VideoGameVet posted:

Not quite. The Lightning has an independent rear suspension and that is a good thing.
So does the new raptor.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Yeah, I feel like this is finally the vehicle where the 'traditional' automaker will match/eclipse Tesla in an EV (at least it looks that way..). I'm still pretty surprised by the price.

The post about "watch out for the dealer dicking you over" reminded me that for as cool as this thing is, it's still going to come with a bunch of baggage attached. Like, maybe the entertainment center runs Windows 7 and Java, and you're going to have to drive 200 miles to find a Ford service center who will look at it without screwing it up.

I am *super* excited about this truck. But at the end of the day it's going to be pretty much like the 2020 F150 ownership experience.

e: [I ninja edited out some stuff about manufacturers that make cars in the Luxury category, because I didn't think it was worth inviting another fanboy slapfest]

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 21, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I agree for Audi/BMW, but the Tesla owner experience is definitely bottom of the barrel

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Does Ford allow fast charging at its dealerships? Because that would be a hell of a perk too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Does Ford allow fast charging at its dealerships? Because that would be a hell of a perk too.

quote:

US dealers are required to have at least two chargers (one in service and one accessible on the customer-side).

However, no requirement that they be anything more than L2. And no requirements for access to them (like after-hours access, customers-only, etc). Just up to each dealer.

not-at-home Level 2 is going to be nigh useless for that truck.

There's a trip I do with my 3 that I need to top off halfway with a 32A tesla destination charger, and that's juuuuuust about as slow as I would like to change mid-trip.

generous estimates of the battery size and range give a 500wh/mi ballpark so your garden-variety 40A (50A circuit) L2 will get you 18 miles of range per hour.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 21, 2021

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Honestly Tesla and Ford are both going to sell every truck they can make for the next decade. I'm glad the F150 Lightning is getting so much positive press coverage!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some Lightning trim details

quote:

XLT ($55,000 est.)
The XLT model will serve as the base model for the average retail buyer. It comes standard with the Standard Range battery, but the larger pack is optional. The XLT does not get the light bar connecting the taillights that's on the Lariat and Platinum models, but a power tailgate and LED lighting in the bed are both optional. XLT models ride on standard 18-inch aluminum wheels with black accents, and 20-inch dark grey wheels are optional. The F-150's new 12.0-inch touchscreen powered by Ford's Sync 4 infotainment system is the only choice. Cloth seats are standard, and heated seats are optional. The XLT gets the 2.4-kW ProPower Onboard system as standard, and the additional 9.6-kW version is an option. The Tow Technology package, which includes a trailer backup assist, and the Max Trailer Tow package are available on the XLT. Ford's BlueCruise hands-free driving technology is not available on the XLT, but Ford's Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 package with adaptive cruise control, lane centering, and built-in navigation is.

Lariat ($59,000 est.)
Like the XLT, the Lariat comes standard with the Standard Range Battery, and the Extended Range pack is optional. Lariat models have gray 20-inch wheels. All Lightning models come standard with fixed running boards, but the Lariat and Platinum have available retractable running boards and a power tailgate. The Lariat comes standard with heated and cooled leather seats and the 15.5-inch vertically oriented touchscreen that uses Ford's Sync 4A infotainment system. An eight-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system is standard, and a function that allows you to use a phone as a key is available, too. The Lariat models come standard with the 9.6-kW ProPower Onboard. Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 is standard, and BlueCruise and active park assist are available on the Lariat. Both tow packages are available.

Platinum ($70,000 est.)
Platinum models are fully loaded and are only available with the Extended Range battery pack and 9.6-kW ProPower OnBoard. They ride on 22-inch wheels with black accents. They're equipped with Nirvana leather heated and ventilated seats with black stripes, the larger (15.5-inch) touchscreen, and an 18-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system. Ford's maximum recline front seats are available only on the Platinum. Both towing packages are standard on the Platinum models, as is BlueCruise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If the XLT is "the base model for the average retail buyer" at $55k with standard range then what's $40k?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Fleet truck.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

so all the hype about the $40k pricepoint was kinda smoke and mirrors? I thought they said the fleet truck and base retail model are both $40k. It's hard to see what in that XLT description could be stripped out to make it $15k cheaper, most of the features mentioned are options.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kunabomber posted:

Barging into this thread because I just put $100 down and had questions about the typical dealer markup for a car like this. I read your post about your Bronco ordering process as well.

So they basically took the Mach-E you specced out, converted it to a real production order without your consent, and put it on their showroom with $10K ADM when you told them to shove it up their rear end?

:effort: incoming

If you read both my Bronco and Mach-e reservation posts then you're basically up to date but they haven't actually manufactured the Mach-e yet (they haven't manufactured a single production Mach-e GT I don't think) but I actually just got an email 5/18 saying that my Mach-e was scheduled for production July 12th.

The Mach-e and the Bronco reservations seem to be handled slightly differently (with E-F150 reservations likely being the same as the Bronco).

The Mach-e reservation was $500 and as soon as that reservation was converted to an order that $500 was refunded back to the credit card it came from.

The Bronco reservation was $100 and as soon as that reservation was converted to an order that $100 is KEPT by the dealership.

Which does result in kind of a slightly different dynamic. The dealership can "poach" your Mach-e reservation (i.e. convert it to an order without your permission and then hope you abandon it so they can put it on the lot with a big ADM) but at least you get your $500 back. And I'm not saying they've tried to charge me a big ADM, they haven't, I'm just saying there's nothing preventing a dealership from doing that.

Whereas when a dealership poaches your Bronco reservation (and presumably an EF-150 reservation) they get to keep the $100. Sure, if they refuse to give it back you could take them to small claims court. And you'll probably get it back. The $100. How much is your time worth.

The main thing is that in both of these situations the dealership is essentially rewarded for reservation holders abandoning their reservation. There's nothing preventing dealerships from converting reservations to orders without the customer's permission (it happened to me 2/2 times, at 2 different dealerships) and once they do that, if you abandon the order, the order still exists, the car still gets made, and they put it on the lot almost certainly with an ADM.

So if you have a reservation, try and get some kinda deal in writing. Otherwise there's nothing stopping them from converting your reservation to an order without your consent and putting it on the lot with a big ADM after you abandon it (because they told you you needed to pay a big ADM).

And I like Ford. I still own my GT500 and until it got totaled, a ~$67,000 msrp F-150. But their reservation system is total poo poo.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Goddamn that blows. This is the first time I've reserved a car, I usually buy them off the lot.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kunabomber posted:

With regard to "typical dealer markup" I'd say no one that isn't a total boob should pay a cent over MSRP. This is an F-150. It's not a Shelby. It's not a Raptor. It's a regular production vehicle.

Whether or not MSRP is a rip off is a different discussion. Normally paying MSRP for an F-150 would be an insane rip off (queue Hank Hill truck buying video). But this isn't just a new F-150 it's a new electric F-150 and even if the best of circumstances there may be battery limitations and currently there's also gonna be chip limitations, so...

And the other thing is that Ford's new business model may be much smaller MSRP to Invoice differences. I bought my F-150 for $10,000 off MSRP and if you paid much more than that you got ripped off. But the differences between a Mach-E GT ~$65,000 invoice vs MSRP is like $1100 so if you think you've got a chance of getting 10 grand off that, you're delusional. That may change in the future, but that's the way it is now, and probably not gonna change much for quite a while.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bawfuls posted:

so all the hype about the $40k pricepoint was kinda smoke and mirrors? I thought they said the fleet truck and base retail model are both $40k. It's hard to see what in that XLT description could be stripped out to make it $15k cheaper, most of the features mentioned are options.

Those could be the extended battery prices so maybe knock it down by $10k to get the 230 mile version.

edit: i'm not good at reading comprehension.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 21, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Thanks a lot!

The article says $55k estimated too, they don't know concrete pricing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Some dealers converted Bronco reservations without the customer consent but that was mostly incompetence not malice. Ford corporate immediately stepped in with clear instructions for dealers and a process for customers change the order back into a reservation.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bawfuls posted:

More chrome.

Also looking at the petrol models cruise control, alloy wheels, carpet, power locks, remote key. bind spot. Maybe noting that seems to add up to $15k but some of those things would be drat annoying to miss out on

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Zero One posted:

Fleet truck.

I’ll take the fleet truck if I can add the extended range.

Or the Transit EV if I can do the same.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah if you can get the fleet truck with extended range you can add aftermarket versions of all that other poo poo for way less than $15k

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

What the gently caress volkswagen, give me this you cowards!

https://insideevs.com/news/508413/vw-idx-electric-hot-hatch/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elviscat posted:

Same, holy poo poo.

Man, having a trunk on a truck is like best of both worlds. Toss your expensive tools up there and forgo a bed-wetting toolbox or canopy.

Imagine how refreshingly not poo poo the grip will be when unloaded.

It’s still going to be heavy, but it’s not going to have the traditional truck problem of “lmao literally all the weight is on the front axle”.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Imagine how refreshingly not poo poo the grip will be when unloaded.

It’s still going to be heavy, but it’s not going to have the traditional truck problem of “lmao literally all the weight is on the front axle”.

Dang, hadn't thought of that. Big advantage anywhere that gets snow.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zero One posted:

Some dealers converted Bronco reservations without the customer consent but that was mostly incompetence not malice.

Disagree.

quote:

Ford corporate immediately stepped in with clear instructions for dealers and a process for customers change the order back into a reservation.

Not really. They created a system where the customer could switch their reservation to a different dealer and preserve their "place in line" but Ford couldn't/wouldn't force the shady dealers to convert the order back into a reservation, and couldn't/wouldn't force the dealer to refund the customer's deposit.

It's an extremely stupid system that literally rewards dealers for being shitbags and gives the consumer virtually no power. Ford combined the worst aspects of the antiquated dealership model and the online ordering model.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 21, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Disagree.

Not really. They created a system where the customer could switch their reservation to a different dealer and preserve their "place in line" but Ford couldn't/wouldn't force the shady dealers to convert the order back into a reservation, and couldn't/wouldn't force the dealer to refund the customer's deposit.

It's an extremely stupid system that literally rewards dealers for being shitbags and gives the consumer virtually no power. Ford combined the worst aspects of the antiquated dealership model and the online ordering model.

You can read the full saga here: https://www.bronco6g.com/some-bronco-reservation-holders-report-having-order-submitted-by-dealer-without-knowledge-and-consent-%f0%9f%98%a1/

And Ford stepping in right away with a process to revert conversions: https://www.bronco6g.com/update-from-ford-about-dealers-converting-bronco-reservations-unexpectedly/ and https://www.bronco6g.com/bronco-reservations-converted-to-order-dealer-faq-as-of-january-29/

Sorry if you were not aware that Ford fixed the issue.

They also have penalties if too many Bronco sales don't match the name on the reservation: https://www.bronco6g.com/ford-institutes-bronco-customer-name-match-dealer-integrity-policy/

Edit: the whole process was poorly explained to dealers. Mine made the opposite mistake where they didn't realize that allocation was based on orders converted and not just reservation. They didn't do any outreach to reservation holders. On the last day they had to make a huge push to get people to convert when they realized their mistakes.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 21, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zero One posted:

You can read the full saga here: https://www.bronco6g.com/some-bronco-reservation-holders-report-having-order-submitted-by-dealer-without-knowledge-and-consent-%f0%9f%98%a1/

And Ford stepping in right away with a process to revert conversions: https://www.bronco6g.com/update-from-ford-about-dealers-converting-bronco-reservations-unexpectedly/ and https://www.bronco6g.com/bronco-reservations-converted-to-order-dealer-faq-as-of-january-29/

Sorry if you were not aware that Ford fixed the issue.

They also have penalties if too many Bronco sales don't match the name on the reservation: https://www.bronco6g.com/ford-institutes-bronco-customer-name-match-dealer-integrity-policy/

Edit: the whole process was poorly explained to dealers. Mine made the opposite mistake where they didn't realize that allocation was based on orders converted and not just reservation. They didn't do any outreach to reservation holders. On the last day they had to make a huge push to get people to convert when they realized their mistakes.

lmao, I don't need to read the whole saga, it happened to me, twice. I have posts in the threads you linked.

Sorry but your insistence that Ford "fixed the issue" is BS. If that was true there wouldn't have been dealers converting Mach-E GT reservations without customer consent long after the Bronco fiasco.

They instituted a workaround that fixed some aspects of it. It's still a completely poo poo system and is still being exploited by lovely dealerships and that will almost certainly still be the case when electric F-150 reservations start getting converted to orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Who wants to go in with me and make a "rolling coal" smoke machine for the lightning?