Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"the government is making up UFO stories to cover up that china beat us to antigravity" has a funny parallel to how the government actually ran a propaganda campaign that everyone who reported UFO sightings was an absolute crank and nobody should take it seriously because they wanted to suppress any thoughts whatsoever that the US wasn't in total control of its airspace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

Ok, this thread has been officially taken over by Galaxy brain true believers.

try having some fun posting in C-SPAM

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

PawParole posted:

wow. from politco

:catstare:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I've gone from heavy skeptic like drat near certain we are alone to drat near believer in record time thanks to this thread

I don't even care if I am wrong I just won't broadcast it to strangers no one will ever know

goongrats, happy to be of service

Log082 posted:

My bet is that the report is going to be "Yeah we have proof that these are physical objects and no we have no idea how that's possible" which is revolutionary by itself and yet stops short of ALIENS.

This will simultaneously:
- be interpreted as proof of aliens
- be interpreted as proof the government is using aliens as disinfo
- be interpreted as proof that [parts of the government the commenter doesn't like] are loving crazy idiots that believe in aliens, those dumbasses, I can't believe we're spending our tax dollars on this instead of helping people/bombing people I don't like
- be interpreted as proof that anyone that is actually interested is an idiot that can't recognize a bird, as everyone knows birds fly at supersonic speeds and look like tic-tacs the size of an F-18

nothing will actually be done to try and figure out what these things are

also:

-be interpreted as just cause to ramp up hostilities with china

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Here's a ufo sighting my friend sent me last year. It's probably a drone but I'm surprised it was that bright during the day

https://youtu.be/TBMM9yyq7GE

I actually submitted it to that nuforc site and it doesn't list it as starlink or whatever that I assumed it was

I genuinely apologize because after watching the video before seeing the edit and the months old NUFORC submission I thought that whatever it was was acting like lens flare mirroring the camera movement. It isn't and I'm glad people are using NUFORC!

Not related to the quoted post, but especially on the coasts (but also inland) it's important to know that theres a bunch of work being done on high altitude spy balloons that usually show up on not paid off trackers like https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ but also are absolutely working without public transponders to some degree.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

pancake rabbit posted:

Good call, I forgot that one. Someone, possibly and even probably a senator, is absolutely going to turn the completely reasonable point of "hey maybe we should figure out what's buzzing our nukes and carrier groups" into "time to bomb CHINA"

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

pancake rabbit posted:

also:

I don't get this take in general because they are expressly no first use. Just go and do whatever in that case, why invoke ufos? Public-facing reasoning isn't going to change a possible nuclear exchange.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

WEH posted:

Not related to the quoted post, but especially on the coasts (but also inland) it's important to know that theres a bunch of work being done on high altitude spy balloons that usually show up on not paid off trackers like https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ but also are absolutely working without public transponders to some degree.

i saw one of these just north of denver a couple years ago. stationary, silver round object way above the clouds, directly overhead in the middle of the day. so far you could only really see it if you didn't look straight at it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WEH posted:

quote:

History Edit

Learn more
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it.
Established in 1956 to make high-altitude balloons, Raven was launched by a group of General Mills employees, including General Mills High Altitude Research division employee Ed Yost.[2][3] Yost claimed to pick Sioux Falls for its favorable wind conditions.[2]

haha what the gently caress??? general mills high altitude research division?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

quote:

Aeronautical Research Division and Electronics Division Edit
In 1946, General Mills established their Aeronautical Research Division with chief engineer Otto C. Winzen. This division developed high altitude balloons in conjunction with the United States Navy Office of Naval Research (ONR), such as the Skyhook balloon.[11]

The Aeronautical work of General Mills done around the time of the second World War is continued by the company Raven Industries in their Raven Aerostar department.[12]

The General Mills Electronics division developed the DSV Alvin submersible, which is notable for being used in investigating the wreck of Titanic among other deep-sea exploration missions.[13]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mills

what the gently caress?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

WEH posted:

I don't get this take in general because they are expressly no first use. Just go and do whatever in that case, why invoke ufos? Public-facing reasoning isn't going to change a possible nuclear exchange.

because u don't look a gift alien in the mouth

and

military industrial printer go brrrrr

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

lol there's a paragraph on the wikipedia page for general mills that apparently in addition to making lucky charms they also made high-altitude balloons for ONR including the skyhook balloon

hearts, stars, and horseshoes, clovers and blue moons, unicorns, rainbows, and classified balloons

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pancake rabbit posted:

hearts, stars, and horseshoes, clovers and blue moons, unicorns, rainbows, and classified balloons

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

pancake rabbit posted:

because u don't look a gift alien in the mouth

and

military industrial printer go brrrrr

so send a boat towards the contested islands and dare them to do something if you want the money printer to go brrr! this ufo poo poo is completely unnecessary if the point is to get china to fund the mic, especially because our preferred flavor of conflict requires uncontested air support

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

"the government is making up UFO stories to cover up that china beat us to antigravity" has a funny parallel to how the government actually ran a propaganda campaign that everyone who reported UFO sightings was an absolute crank and nobody should take it seriously because they wanted to suppress any thoughts whatsoever that the US wasn't in total control of its airspace

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MILLER: Boss, your objective is to infiltrate Cipher's research facilities and obtain their newest personnel extraction technology. It'll be essential in helping us rebuild Diamond Dogs.

OCELOT: Cipher is using a civillian food company as a cover. It's absolutely essential you aren't detected either by Cipher or any of the civilians that'll be on site.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I'm hoping that the chinese did some incredible espionage to get all the morons in the US MIC to believe they had invented antigravity but it's actually just balloons

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

I'm hoping that the chinese did some incredible espionage to get all the morons in the US MIC to believe they had invented antigravity but it's actually just balloons

AnCiEnT cHiNeSe SeCrET

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

And who developed this high-altitude balloon program for a cereals company

quote:

Otto C. Winzen was an innovator and a visionary who is best known for introducing new balloon materials and construction methods. He emigrated to the United States from Germany in 1937 and spent World War II in a series of internment camps

hahaha

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
It's going to be some boring electrical or weird optics poo poo in the end, since we got the most disappointing timeline

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

It's going to be some boring electrical or weird optics poo poo in the end, since we got the most disappointing timeline

pretty exciting electrical or weird optics poo poo, unless you wholly discount pilot testimony

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Chamale posted:

hahaha

thread is going places there should be paperclip shaped marshmallows

edit: im dumb and misread that
still insane

The Saucer Hovers has issued a correction as of 05:57 on May 21, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think that means he was in american internment camps for germans not that he was a nazi posted at auschwitz

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Chamale posted:

hahaha

I would hesitate to roll someone who emigrated to the US in 1937 with the paperclip ilk but I'm also not seeing any corroborating sources to back up that specific timeline ... lmao

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Gringostar posted:

since work is saying we’re back in the office in july im taking the time to binge watch the x-files

the first season has some 90s cringe but it actually holds up well

It's kind of like Poltergeist, this perfect time capsule of what the general running beliefs and theories on the paranormal were at the time.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

x-files rules but the overarching plot episodes will only hurt you in the end

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

WEH posted:

x-files rules but the overarching plot episodes will only hurt you in the end

In the 90s people also believed every TV show would last forever

e seriously nine seasons of Seinfeld? I'm glad it ended like that, gently caress them

vv didn't Germans in the US get rounded up during WWII vv

Inspector Hound has issued a correction as of 06:16 on May 21, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

WEH posted:

I would hesitate to roll someone who emigrated to the US in 1937 with the paperclip ilk but I'm also not seeing any corroborating sources to back up that specific timeline ... lmao

It sounds like he left Nazi Germany so he wasn't a hardcore Nazi. But he would also be someone the government is 100% confident hates the Soviets. This lines up with Vasiliy Mitrokhin's claim that Roswell was a crashed Soviet spy balloon; if the Army Air Force had to scramble to start Project Mogul to create a Roswell cover story, they'd have to find some loyal scientist with a lot of knowledge about the new types of plastics being developed.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

The Saucer Hovers posted:

the most respected elder statesman of the field, a man who spielberg himself portrayed as the french indiana jones of ufos, the sexy grey fox science early vc richman himself...

is a devoted rosicrutian magician whos theory on what the saucers actually are is functionally inseparable from angels and demons

and hes probably right

it was very weird indeed when I found a digitized archive to some sorcerer’s magazine where in an interview with Vallee he likens his beliefs on magic to informational theory and computer science

like everyone’s quiet most of the time on where they’re dipping their toes

I was as surprised to find a rave quote by Carl Sagan on a printed collection of John Keel articles, only knowing of Sagan as a pariah in the UFO field for ditching UFO support in favor of Big Science

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 06:37 on May 21, 2021

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
and now i join posadists anonymous

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ross DaouThot posted:

thats right

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Chamale posted:

It sounds like he left Nazi Germany so he wasn't a hardcore Nazi. But he would also be someone the government is 100% confident hates the Soviets. This lines up with Vasiliy Mitrokhin's claim that Roswell was a crashed Soviet spy balloon; if the Army Air Force had to scramble to start Project Mogul to create a Roswell cover story, they'd have to find some loyal scientist with a lot of knowledge about the new types of plastics being developed.

I'm gonna preface this with my belief that rosewell is pointless to try and figure out in 2021 cos everyone that knew anything is long dead, but why wouldn't the AAF just use him to help with project mogul if he came over in '37?

e: oh the soviet spy balloon theory is literally from the ancient aliens tv show nvm lol

Ross DaouThot posted:

welcome, comrade

WEH has issued a correction as of 06:52 on May 21, 2021

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
i feel like the last two years of my life were perfectly orchestrated to have the conditioning fully sink in, like it was only from watching a few cushvlogs after bernie lost that I even started thinking about dialectical materialism, now I'm fully a tom delonge guy as well. add in epstein brain and i'm rapidly approaching 100% synthesis

Delta-Wye posted:

all of the threads combine into one and fade away as the dmt runs out and my brain shuts off

this is great it feels like i was running multiple multiple processes in my brain task manager before and now they're getting consolidated

Ross DaouThot has issued a correction as of 07:06 on May 21, 2021

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

wouldn't it have been easier to just say the roni was a chinese bioweapon if the MIC wanted to turn up the heat?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BeefThief posted:

wouldn't it have been easier to just say the roni was a chinese bioweapon if the MIC wanted to turn up the heat?

yeah it would be crazy if the president had spent a year saying exactly that and half the country wholeheartedly believed it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

You could probably whip up a good number of people with ghosts too

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

WEH posted:

oh the soviet spy balloon theory is literally from the ancient aliens tv show nvm lol

What? I read about it in The Mitrokhin Archive. It's generally credible, although a lot of the claims aren't corroborated since they're leaked KGB archives. Ancient Aliens would probably say that Roswell was an alien spaceship, that's their whole thing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chamale posted:

What? I read about it in The Mitrokhin Archive. It's generally credible, although a lot of the claims aren't corroborated since they're leaked KGB archives. Ancient Aliens would probably say that Roswell was an alien spaceship, that's their whole thing.

the show's called Ancient Aliens not Cold War Aliens moran

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OK baizuo posted:

Here's what happened, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I still don't think it's aliens but if i was going to go full true believer this would be my theory - every legit UFO sighting over history has been of a single von Neumann-type probe that has been monitoring our evolution. it can replicate itself and split up and do all sorts of weird poo poo like defy physics somehow. but no one gives a poo poo about us it's just following its programming