Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Junpei posted:

get all of the jokes out of your system about me sharing a screenname with the guy who died in a really tragic manner out of the way right now.

To be fair he was a great character and I get a case of the smiths every time I see the picnic still from the OP. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
But yeah, I just started watching/binging recently, I'm watching the dub so I only have the last episode to go since I'm not paying for a Crunchyroll subscription.

I'm just gonna write down a bunch of minor observations, questions about mechanics, predictions, and things I liked that nobody brought up yet.

1. Holy hell, Megumi's use of a Domain had me cackling like a madman. And it's incomplete! I can't wait to see what the real thing looks like. And the thing about him being a Zen'in clan member by blood was really interesting. I wonder what Maki and Mai will think when they find out about it.

2. Nobara is, indeed, best girl, but my favorite moment from her (so far) was her fight with the witch chick just because she was all like "You can't understand the pain Mai has gone through because of her gender and status!" and she's like "Sure, whatever, but that doesn't give her the right to be a dick to her sister, dipshit" and also I just really liked her voodoo doll technique

3. Speaking of, I'm surprised nobody mentioned my personal favorite character so far, Toge. I like his simple but clearly effective powers, and the whole "can only speak in ingredients of a rice ball" thing is actually drat funny when it wants to be.

4. Blood guy got off on the wrong foot but I liked his fight with Megumi and I hope we see more of him, especially after that brief moment with Yuji during the baseball game where there was the approval of why Yuji became a Jujutsu sorcerer

5. Nanami is awesome but my favorite parts with him was actually the flashback with him and the bakery girl that was shockingly sweet, and him also giving his opinion on Black Flash-ing

6. I'm gonna echo something that someone said, I think: If cursed energy is caused by negative emotions... what the hell is Gojo getting all his power from? Smug arrogant flippancy? Hatred of the conservativeness of Jujutsu?

7. Connecting to the above, I do like how you can clearly see in what ways the core three are getting their raw negative energy from. Yuji, aside from Sukuna's boost, is clearly running on a lot of guilt, Megumi just revealed that he's incredibly angry underneath the boring, and Nobara has been full of 100% trash talk and sass since the start.

8. I'm liking the curses conceptually but I really wanna see Geto fight, I'm sure it's gonna be impressive given how he's able to keep up with Jogo, Hanami, Mahito and the fish one they haven't named or shown in detail yet.

9. Miwa is also a very good girl and I like her a lot

10. I kind of want to see Mechamaru and Maki talk about their different Heavenly Restrictions to each other, feels like there might be an interesting bond or talk there

11. Can't say anything about Todo that I people haven't already said before: Thought he was a jackass at first, burst out laughing when he had a flashback in a different genre, quickly became amazing, including having his idol help him figure out how Hanami works and of course "Won the middle school nationals with Itadori. Itadori denies this."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Junpei posted:

1. Holy hell, Megumi's use of a Domain had me cackling like a madman. And it's incomplete! I can't wait to see what the real thing looks like. And the thing about him being a Zen'in clan member by blood was really interesting. I wonder what Maki and Mai will think when they find out about it.

They know already. Megumi being related to the Zen'in Clan is open knowledge. Noritoshi Kamo outright said it, and his technique is outright know to be a Zen'in Inherited Technique.

Junpei posted:

8. I'm liking the curses conceptually but I really wanna see Geto fight, I'm sure it's gonna be impressive given how he's able to keep up with Jogo, Hanami, Mahito and the fish one they haven't named or shown in detail yet.

You will see what Geto can do when the Movie comes out.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 16, 2021

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Junpei posted:

2. Nobara is, indeed, best girl, but my favorite moment from her (so far) was her fight with the witch chick just because she was all like "You can't understand the pain Mai has gone through because of her gender and status!" and she's like "Sure, whatever, but that doesn't give her the right to be a dick to her sister, dipshit" and also I just really liked her voodoo doll technique

6. I'm gonna echo something that someone said, I think: If cursed energy is caused by negative emotions... what the hell is Gojo getting all his power from? Smug arrogant flippancy? Hatred of the conservativeness of Jujutsu?

7. Connecting to the above, I do like how you can clearly see in what ways the core three are getting their raw negative energy from. Yuji, aside from Sukuna's boost, is clearly running on a lot of guilt, Megumi just revealed that he's incredibly angry underneath the boring, and Nobara has been full of 100% trash talk and sass since the start.

2. Nobara is fantastic, I didn't like her too much in her first appearance but she's probably my favorite character now. She doesn't dress up to impress anyone but herself. :colbert:

6. A part of it is definitely his distain for the status quo, but a compounding reason for Gojo's ridiculous power level is that his Zeno's paradox powers and his sparkly eye powers are 2 separate hereditary power sets so even at his base level he's already double stacked.

7. Megumi also has the ambiguous guilt over his comatose sister and Nobara has a burning hatred for small town society.

8. Geto is the main antagonist of episode 0 so don't worry, he's coming soon. (His power is the ability to recall any curse he's defeated.)

I'm really enjoying the manga at the moment. I was actually surprised how little difference there is between the two, it's pretty much 1:1 with a few extra scenes in the anime. Though in the manga you do get Akutami's exasperated comments and half-assed explanations between chapters which is nice.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Akutami's comments are always them pointing out stuff they screwed up (like art mistakes, using the incorrect terms, stuff they don't think makes sense, etc) and asking the readers to not mind it.

One of their most embarrassing moments as per one of the volume extras is having math explained to them for Black Flash by one of their assistants, who pointed out the multiple they were using didn't work the way they thought it did. One of the others is Nobara (who is pretty small/petite) easily kicking away Yuji, who is canonically built like a brick shithouse and weighs ~180 pounds.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 18, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

One of their most embarrassing moments as per one of the volume extras is having math explained to them for Black Flash by one of their assistants, who pointed out the multiple they were using didn't work the way they thought it did.

Specifically, they weren't using a multiple at all - the Black Flash boost is supposedly exponential, which isn't really coherent.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

One of their most embarrassing moments as per one of the volume extras is having math explained to them for Black Flash by one of their assistants, who pointed out the multiple they were using didn't work the way they thought it did.

I thought it was just them explaining how Black Flashed was not multiplied but was exponential, and thus much more impressive.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought it was just them explaining how Black Flashed was not multiplied but was exponential, and thus much more impressive.
Here's the actual page since I hadn't looked at it for a while:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

Here's the actual page since I hadn't looked at it for a while:

lmao I didn't remember this
the best manga extras are just the author talking about what a goob they are

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Album is back

https://open.spotify.com/album/5QYGsl05fLEEE4fUjz4rkt

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I was reading the manga for awhile early on but fell off around the Mahito/Junpei story arc because of a couple of instances where it felt like I had missed something between chapters; I don't remember the exact problem but I believe there was some kind of jump forward or backward an unspecificed amount of time, or a scenery transition to something already happening or having happened elsewhere with no explanation. It was a bit confusing to keep up with week to week so I kinda just dropped it, but was excited for the anime announcement.

Been kinda sluggish watching through it though for various reasons, but I just finished last night and god drat that was excellent. I literally can't think of a single character I've disliked so far, and every episode looks gorgeous.

Thank you so much, best friend.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Fabricated posted:

Akutami's comments are always them pointing out stuff they screwed up (like art mistakes, using the incorrect terms, stuff they don't think makes sense, etc) and asking the readers to not mind it.

One of their most embarrassing moments as per one of the volume extras is having math explained to them for Black Flash by one of their assistants, who pointed out the multiple they were using didn't work the way they thought it did. One of the others is Nobara (who is pretty small/petite) easily kicking away Yuji, who is canonically built like a brick shithouse and weighs ~180 pounds.

Tbf the black flash thing doesn’t make sense, if a normal Yuji punch can really hurt a dude one that’s orders of magnitude stronger should turn them into vapor.

Like it’s quite literally 10 million times stronger lol

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Tabletops posted:

Tbf the black flash thing doesn’t make sense, if a normal Yuji punch can really hurt a dude one that’s orders of magnitude stronger should turn them into vapor.

Like it’s quite literally 10 million times stronger lol

It does though? They've shown it destroying limbs, bodies, etc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I remember someone in this thread saying it's basically a critical hit in a RPG and that probably would have been a sufficient enough explanation that offers no confusion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I remember someone in this thread saying it's basically a critical hit in a RPG and that probably would have been a sufficient enough explanation that offers no confusion.

You could do that, but not overexplaining powers is hardly Gege's style.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Chaotic Flame posted:

It does though? They've shown it destroying limbs, bodies, etc.

We’re talking about a punch with the energy of 10 tons of tnt, roughly equivalent to the second largest conventional bomb in the world which has an explosive radius of 150 meters lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also reminder that Yuji and co. ain't fighting rank-and-file curses or anything of that sort when he starts busting out the black flashes: They're fighting cataclysm/disaster-level curses, powerful aberrations that require people with a ton of strength to properly dispatch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tabletops posted:

We’re talking about a punch with the energy of 10 tons of tnt, roughly equivalent to the second largest conventional bomb in the world which has an explosive radius of 150 meters lol

Would it. Assuming his Punch was lets say a 25. To the power of 2.5 would be 3125. Which makes sense for something like his hit against Eso were it blew his arm off when it hit.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

how many newtons of force are behind the punch of a really buff high schooler

genuine question i would love to know

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Would it. Assuming his Punch was lets say a 25. To the power of 2.5 would be 3125. Which makes sense for something like his hit against Eso were it blew his arm off when it hit.

let's say his punch was 25 newtons of force. to the power of 2.5 would be 3125 newtons. but if we instead measure in kilonewtons, that's 0.025 kilonewtons, and if we do that to the power of 2.5 we get 0.00009882 kilonewtons, or 0.09882 newtons

what i'm saying is exponents do dumb poo poo depending on your perspective, so having something apply an exponent to uh, force (??? is that what's being affected by a black flash? i guess so) really doesn't make much sense. and without a stated unit of measurement it's impossible to really know how strong a black flash is at all beyond "it's a big number stop thinking about it"

which is kinda lame tbh, though the author being self aware about it helps turn it around to funny

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 21, 2021

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Will it be explained why our protagonist appeared to have superhuman physical traits at the start of the anime? Is it just because he's got extra cursed energy or something

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i suspect the answer doesn't really go beyond "he is an anime protagonist" tbh, they haven't really hinted at there being anything more to it from what i can remember

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean his grandpa was gonna say something about his parents before he died

THAT is gonna be important at some point, I swear on it, even if it's not something as crazy as "you're half-curse"

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Collapsing Farts posted:

Will it be explained why our protagonist appeared to have superhuman physical traits at the start of the anime? Is it just because he's got extra cursed energy or something

I think you're supposed to assume a pact/restriction similar to Maki or Mechimaru(sp?) but I'm guessing there'll be another reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Collapsing Farts posted:

The manga has just started to address that
(Not huge spoilers but it does confirm/deny the question.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Collapsing Farts posted:

He had no curse energy at the start and was noted to do everything he did without Curse Energy. Megumi speculated that he was the same as Maki, a Heavenly Restriction of low cursed energy in exchange for great physical strength. He may have gotten around the low cursed energy part due to eating Sukuna's finger.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i just assumed he was Built Different and i have had few reasons to change my guess

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
In Jujutsu Kaisen the quality of your taste in women is directly proportional to your strength

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was just using joules as a unit since it’s An abstraction of Newtons factoring in momentum and motion

Pretty typical unit for measuring force exerted on a thing

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just watched 24.

-Nobara, you're metal as hell. Using your own body as a substitute for your straw dolls?????? BADASS.
-Our trio (oh and Maki and Panda) are moving up in the world!
-Sukuna's a hungry bastard
-HOLY poo poo THAT MOMENT WHEN THEY CUT BETWEEN YUJI AND NOBARA AND THE GUITAR RIFFS EVERY SWAP, THAT'S HYPE AS HELL

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/JujutsuKaisen/status/1404029517409226761
Movie release date of 12/24.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was made pretty fast.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fittingly the movie is airing on the date of the major event in the movie. We got a new trailer for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwgvI22mVDM

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I tried reading the manga and didn't really care for it at all. The animation elevated the material a lot in my eyes

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

I tried reading the manga and didn't really care for it at all. The animation elevated the material a lot in my eyes

I think that's a fair assessment. The manga can be quite dry and I think the author had fleshed out the story more by the time the animation got scripted, but that's shonen jump schedule hell at work I guess.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve watched a lot of anime but JJK is the only Shounen anime that I don’t find actively annoying. Has anyone spoken or written about why this series seems to sidestep the many pitfalls of the genre? I’d love to be able to articulate why this show really fires on all cylinders while similar properties just suck.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I admit I didn't really pay much attention to it at first when it was just a manga but around the time the anime started and a lot more people started talking about it I decided I should give it a second, more series, read and realized I was missing out on something great. The anime just helps elevate the gold that was already there the way a good adaptation should.

Vise the Stompy fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 5, 2021

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve watched a lot of anime but JJK is the only Shounen anime that I don’t find actively annoying. Has anyone spoken or written about why this series seems to sidestep the many pitfalls of the genre? I’d love to be able to articulate why this show really fires on all cylinders while similar properties just suck.

I guess I haven't watched that many shounens, but I think it feels very similar to Hunter x Hunter in that they just have a few cool characters, give them some cool powers and make em fight, and keep everything else to a minimum. Oh, and it gives an in-universe explanation for why everyone explains their powers.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it's because it sidesteps a lot of things shonen typically do like good guys letting villains power up for...reasons or villains teaming up on heroes but heroes not doing the same back, lots of fights feel very visceral and there aren't many "filler" (unneeded variety vs. non-canon) fights.

Mons Hubris posted:

I guess I haven't watched that many shounens, but I think it feels very similar to Hunter x Hunter in that they just have a few cool characters, give them some cool powers and make em fight, and keep everything else to a minimum. Oh, and it gives an in-universe explanation for why everyone explains their powers.

also this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I agree it's like HxH, but I wouldn't ascribe it to a particular cast makeup or something like in-world power consistency etc. Lots of garbage shounen have intricate, logical and well-explained power systems.

The difference, to me, is that it's pitched at an obviously older audience. It covers darker themes, has slightly more adult humour, and in general isn't just suffused with the facile stuff that makes most shounen shows extremely tiresome past the age of ~16.

Honestly it's not even that high a bar, but most shows fail to clear it. Fan service, cheesiness, vague power fantasy fulfilment just tend to land better than good plotting, moral ambiguity, complex themes. Ultimately I don't think you can ask too much though, these are in the end children's shows, for children. It's just that few shows manage to both capture both the liberating and fun aspect of kid's cartoons while not being off-puttingly moronic.