Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

perepelki posted:

they were squiggling blissfully around in the dirt for about an hour. i watched them the entire time, which was good, because a hawk kept coming back to circle above them. they would tilt their heads and bibbit at it inquisitively, so i know they saw it and recognised it as something of interest. but did they hide or move toward cover or do anything to protect themselves? absolutely not. that would violate the quail code of conduct

I wish I could relax that deeply.

While I was out with the chickens today a prop plane flew past (we live near a small private airport). Large Marge gave it a look and decided it was no big deal and kept her brood out foraging. The teenage chickens that never had a chicken-mother freaked out and ran for their coop. I can’t remember how long the other batches of chicks took to get used to planes, I’ll have to pay attention this time.

Side note: the rabbits usually hide from the planes, but if there’s a lot of air traffic they quit hiding. The goats HAUL rear end to their shelter pretty much every time a plane goes by. And helicopters are the worst, those Air Force pilots fly right over my house and scare the goats out of their wits.

Also one of the teenage roosters crowed today at 9 weeks old. :confuoot:

Also also I think I heard cheeping under one of the broody hens this evening. I didn’t disturb her to check but I will tomorrow. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

the quail look so happy :3:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

City of Glompton posted:

the quail look so happy :3:
that's what makes them worth all the trouble and grief. when they're happy, they let me know!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

perepelki posted:

:( forever young.

Yes... that's how it goes sometimes. I expected it to pip at least, not really sure why that didn't happen. The weather went from cool and rainy to hot and dry in the last few days, not sure if that could have had an effect or not. If I had a time machine, probably needed to try and assist it when I first hear the peeps - but at that point I couldn't know if it needed more time or not, and could have killed it if I moved too soon. Ah well... I didn't really need more chickens anyways, this was just to make the hen happy really, hopefully she gets over it. There's always next year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The chicks are growing up. They look like little goth ladies in lace dresses.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alterian posted:

Black Marans?

Ours looked like that. She's lovely, biggest girl in our flock but pretty shy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Supposed to be sapphire gems but they are really dark.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Alterian posted:

they're so elegant! even as newborn babies they had so much poise. i love them

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

the power went out at 3am, and we woke up at 6am to a cold chicks

we still had a couple pieces of wood meant for our chiminea, so we started the woodstove up to take the chill out of the air. i did my best Large Marge impression and held the chicks in my lap covered by a blanket. they gave a few happy trills and were good babies

the power came back around 7:20ish, thank goodness. here is the chick pile before i put them back in the brooder

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

They do look very content. :kimchi:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

the power went out at 3am, and we woke up at 6am to a cold chicks

we still had a couple pieces of wood meant for our chiminea, so we started the woodstove up to take the chill out of the air. i did my best Large Marge impression and held the chicks in my lap covered by a blanket. they gave a few happy trills and were good babies

the power came back around 7:20ish, thank goodness. here is the chick pile before i put them back in the brooder

I’m glad your power came back on, it’d be a shame to carry chicks around with you everywhere :D

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
thank you, good human! :love:
\

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

City of Glompton posted:

you saved them :unsmith:

i've only ever had one nocturnal power outage that endangered my quail chicks, and luckily i found out about that very quickly because they immediately woke up and screamed like banshees

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Newly named Rose hatched 9 chicks out of 11 eggs! We still have to check under Dorothy (formerly Blue Leg Band) and Blanche (formerly Red Leg Band). Then we need to decide who gets the little pea-combed cockerels that I ordered from Ideal... so many chickens! :henget:

(I hope my mom gets her coop set up soon. I DO NOT need this many chickens. (But I love them. (And my fields need fertilizer.)))

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Alterian posted:

I love the gray/black wyandotte look there.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

Newly named Rose hatched 9 chicks out of 11 eggs! We still have to check under Dorothy (formerly Blue Leg Band) and Blanche (formerly Red Leg Band). Then we need to decide who gets the little pea-combed cockerels that I ordered from Ideal... so many chickens! :henget:

(I hope my mom gets her coop set up soon. I DO NOT need this many chickens. (But I love them. (And my fields need fertilizer.)))

awww such a good mama :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rose is the best mama hen.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i love mama hen season!

warning, not a hen

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Blanche hatched 8 chicks

And Dorothy hatched 5, so she got the extra 6 chicks from Ideal. Green dots are Buff Chanteclers and the Purple dots are Buff Cornish.

So far all three Golden Girls are really protective and doing a great job!

There is also one little chick in the incubator. It got shrink wrapped in its shell so I assisted. It’s not doing too well so we put it in the incubator so no other chicks would hurt it while it heals (I hope).

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Joburg posted:

beep beep
oh my goodness look at all those proud mothers with their little sunshine puffs :neckbeard: i hope the hatch-impaired baby pulls through

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I love this thread. :kimchi:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
https://twitter.com/AnAngryOpossum/status/1396288389972910083

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Captain Log posted:

:yeah:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Captain Log posted:

same, even as it vacillates between the tragic and the beautiful and the absurd

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ft. Clux v. 1 is done. Not fully predator proof, but will contain them and keep them safe from hawks. Their coop is predator proof so we just have to lock them up at night. Next step is to complete the fence for the larger area. You can see the posts have already been put in. Then we will go back and predator proof it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

As someone else with a pile of misc logs and branches from a fallen tree in their chicken area, can confirm just how much they love hanging out on piles of wood :3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Just like cats with boxes, and humans with sofas, birbs love to perch. :3:

Captain Log posted:

:agreed: :love:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

The embarrassing kid.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

lmbo great picture

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Got what's either the 3rd and 4th or the 4th and 5th eggs out of our 4 older gals today. Another little halfsize learners egg, but a good proper one as well. Really looking forwards to when the youngsters are all grown and start laying as well, so I can gorge myself on hardboiled eggs.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ramen eggs are an amazingly delicious way to use up some eggs.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Ramen eggs sound yummy.

We’ve been eating Mark Bittman’s Pasta with Butter and Parmesan with Eggs. I can’t find the recipe online but it’s delicious. When the pasta has about 3 minutes left to cook you start your eggs scrambling (in a preheated pan) then when the pasta is done put the eggs, pasta, a bunch of butter, and a bunch of cheese all together. The heat from the pasta cooks/melts all the other stuff together.

I add some spinach and broccoli so I can pretend it’s not that bad for me. :laugh:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Captain Log posted:

:agreed: i just looked at all the pictures from the last few pages and they are so sweet. wanna pet all the birds

ShootaBoy posted:

Got what's either the 3rd and 4th or the 4th and 5th eggs out of our 4 older gals today. Another little halfsize learners egg, but a good proper one as well. Really looking forwards to when the youngsters are all grown and start laying as well, so I can gorge myself on hardboiled eggs.

congratulations. i'm glad my neighbor has hens so we can get fresh eggs before my tiny birds grow up enough to lay tiny eggs.

speaking of which, look how fast they grow, it always amazes me. they are about to hit the awkward stage.

may 10th (1-2 days old):

compared to may 27th:

Izzie, Chickmunk and Tiny Bird Darling aka Darlin' are all looking like roosters. Izzie is at the top of the pecking order, and Clarice is at the bottom.

it should be warm enough to take them outside tomorrow which should be fun

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Joburg posted:

Ramen eggs sound yummy.

We’ve been eating Mark Bittman’s Pasta with Butter and Parmesan with Eggs. I can’t find the recipe online but it’s delicious. When the pasta has about 3 minutes left to cook you start your eggs scrambling (in a preheated pan) then when the pasta is done put the eggs, pasta, a bunch of butter, and a bunch of cheese all together. The heat from the pasta cooks/melts all the other stuff together.

I add some spinach and broccoli so I can pretend it’s not that bad for me. :laugh:

There's my dinner plans sorted

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Scotch eggs, man. Scotch eggs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/niwatori3wa/status/1397761755351183361?s=20

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

^^^ :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

r o u n d

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:orb: