Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Flight sim runs like rear end on really beefy machines even before you add VR.

Are all the in game settings turned to minimum?

How good is your video card and cpu? If its not a 3070 or 3080 you may wanna temper your expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

i have a 3080, and 5900x and MSFS2020 runs like dogshit in VR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MSFS has dethroned DCS World as "The flightsim that no one can run well"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tom Guycot posted:

i have a 3080, and 5900x and MSFS2020 runs like dogshit in VR.

As I understand, you basically force like 1/3 refresh rate reprojection and hope for the best. So it runs like a flight sim, unfortunately.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

I can’t for the life of me get MS Flight Sim 2020 to run decently.

Oh, that's normal...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Core i7, RTX 3070, 32GB DDR6, NVMe SSD.

It looks gorgeous and runs well in non VR, and I looked on youtube and saw others with equal or lower specs and their VR looked better. Mine is horribly choppy. It doesn't have to look and run great, just decent. But its a complicated setup. I learned that if you go into task manager and give an oculus task high priority, it bumps up the performance, but for me, not enough to be average.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
My wallet is light and Im torn between buying Ironlights and Saints and Sinners. One of my favorite games atm is an arcadey pvp shooter so I figured ironlights looks like it would scratch that itch as a cool fast paced arcadey combat game. But saints and sinners looks like it has really satisfying combat and interactions. Whaaaaat should I get??

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I haven't heard of Ironlights, but S&S rules.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Ah yeah I'm just second guessing it the last second. I was planning on getting Saints and Sinners for a bit now so imma grab it.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Here's a question - why won't my Quest 2 charge properly?

I had the elite battery strap for a while, but it just broke the other day so I took it off. When the battery strap was on, everything worked great - the battery charged the headset, the headset ran for ages. Now that the battery is no longer attached (went back to the stock head strap) I have noticed that the Quest 2 sometimes won't charge even when plugged in - I have to power the headset off completely for it to charge. Likewise, hooking it up to a battery while it's running doesn't seem to do anything - no charging going on.

Did the battery strap... change something?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I think I've had issues with the quest being idle and supposedly asleep but still drawing a lot of power.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Harvey Baldman posted:

Here's a question - why won't my Quest 2 charge properly?

I had the elite battery strap for a while, but it just broke the other day so I took it off. When the battery strap was on, everything worked great - the battery charged the headset, the headset ran for ages. Now that the battery is no longer attached (went back to the stock head strap) I have noticed that the Quest 2 sometimes won't charge even when plugged in - I have to power the headset off completely for it to charge. Likewise, hooking it up to a battery while it's running doesn't seem to do anything - no charging going on.

Did the battery strap... change something?

What are you plugging into it? Might be a charger the battery was just happier to use - especially where it'll charge when powered off.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there an easy way to join a friend at a table in PokerstarsVR?

We couldn’t figure it out. Found the friend list but nobody was clickable, and it seems we were in different lobbies. Eventually one of us made a game and the other looked it up but that’s sorta lame.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sethsez posted:

Hell, the question of "why Tetris Effect in VR?" is practically the same question (with practically the same answer) as "why Tetris Effect at all?" since most of what's notable about the game is purely aesthetic rather than mechanical.

Tetris Effect Connected has some of the best multiplayer Tetris this side of Tetris DS and Tetris 99.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

raditts posted:

Tetris Effect Connected has some of the best multiplayer Tetris this side of Tetris DS and Tetris 99.

I'm talking about the base game. Connected is a significant upgrade.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I did a completely clean reinstall of Windows on my system and now for whatever reason Air Link works perfectly. It’s extremely strange but almost certainly due to the clearing off of about 7 years of bloat. It feels great though, definitely looks better than regular Link.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

I did a completely clean reinstall of Windows on my system and now for whatever reason Air Link works perfectly. It’s extremely strange but almost certainly due to the clearing off of about 7 years of bloat. It feels great though, definitely looks better than regular Link.

When was the last time you tried regular Link? It should look the same or a bit worse, but not better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

When was the last time you tried regular Link? It should look the same or a bit worse, but not better.

3 days ago, Virtual Desktop has always been the same. It’s just always looked sharper to me running over wireless.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Is there an easy way to join a friend at a table in PokerstarsVR?

We couldn’t figure it out. Found the friend list but nobody was clickable, and it seems we were in different lobbies. Eventually one of us made a game and the other looked it up but that’s sorta lame.

Yeah I think you have to make a table, set a password if you want and then your friend has to find the table

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I convinced another friend of mine to pick up Walkabout Minigolf and the three of us played last night, game's still so good. They added the ability to fly around the map now which is hilarious because you just slowly levitate upwards and we were cracking each other up with it last night. There's a new smooth locomotion option as well but honestly I found it harder to use than the default teleporting mechanic so I turned it back off.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Walkabout Mini Golf really is good. It does one thing really well, which is playing mini golf. I'm impressed at the number of courses too, you really get your money's worth.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
There was some recommended fiddling to do with the Nvidia Control Panel profile for MS Flight sim to reduce the stuttering which helped for me. Not in a position to check now but I'll have a look later and see what I got set if someone else can't find what I am talking about sooner.

edit: Try Verticle Sync set to "FAST". It improves the "my PC is five years old" feeling of the game in VR. It doesn't fix the peripheral objects seem stuttery issue which I believe is just something to do with the 3d Implementation.

Armitage_Shanks fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 20, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That VR Puzzle Bobble game is supposed to be out today according to its page on the oculus store (and the actual webpage says "Available Now"), but the same page also still says "Coming Soon." Is there a particular time things drop on their store?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

raditts posted:

That VR Puzzle Bobble game is supposed to be out today according to its page on the oculus store (and the actual webpage says "Available Now"), but the same page also still says "Coming Soon." Is there a particular time things drop on their store?

Probably in 90 minutes or so? I think they use USA west coast times, so it could be soonish.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

VegasGoat posted:

Walkabout Mini Golf really is good. It does one thing really well, which is playing mini golf. I'm impressed at the number of courses too, you really get your money's worth.

It also sounds like they are getting close to releasing another course for free. So keep an eye out for that update.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dear Watson posted:

It also sounds like they are getting close to releasing another course for free. So keep an eye out for that update.

Hell yeah. As much as I love the "realistic" courses, I would love to see more off the wall "Golfing with your Friends" type courses. That last new one they added in space was a lot of fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would offer the dissenting opinion that the hole in that space course that's a single shot bounce off a board into the hole can go gently caress itself.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

I would offer the dissenting opinion that the hole in that space course that's a single shot bounce off a board into the hole can go gently caress itself.

The hard version of that one doesn't even have the board to bank off of IIRC

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I saw a short 2 second gif of the new course posted by one of the developers and I think it might be a western themed golf course. Not entirely sure though. They said they were about to start the beta of the course so maybe a month or so out

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Man stabbing zombies in the head is loving visceral in saints and sinners. Only managed to play a bit before my headset died, wish the saving mechanics were more forgiving for the quests battery life

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Communist Toast posted:

Man stabbing zombies in the head is loving visceral in saints and sinners. Only managed to play a bit before my headset died, wish the saving mechanics were more forgiving for the quests battery life

It’s the first time I witnessed violence in a video game in vr and thought ‘Christ I hope little kids don’t play this’ :classiclol:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

raditts posted:

This is out now by the way and my arms were tired after half an hour of playing it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Anyone get their elite strap replaced without a receipt?

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Anyone get their elite strap replaced without a receipt?

Not sure how strict they are about proof of purchase.
I answered all of Oculus support's questions for an elite strap replacement 4 days ago and still haven't heard back from them.
I submitted my facial interface request the same night and it shipped today.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Touring Karts is now free for quest. Both solo mode and online multiplayer are included

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3714602415301811/

They do still offer a paid version that has extra cars

Apparently the devs are trying to attract more people for multiplayer. Since it’s cross platform, an influx of quest users will make for better MP for everyone is the theory

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQues...ossmf&context=3

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, thanks for the heads up this looks like a lot of fun.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Stormangel posted:

Not sure how strict they are about proof of purchase.
I answered all of Oculus support's questions for an elite strap replacement 4 days ago and still haven't heard back from them.
I submitted my facial interface request the same night and it shipped today.

Hopefully it goes better than my experience with them did. It took me a month of constantly chasing up oculus support before they eventually told me they can't replace it because I'm in Australia and they don't sell the elite strap with battery here any more. Thankfully I'd bought it from Amazon and they sent me a replacement within an hour of me sending an email even though it was well outside their replacement window by then.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Finally got 120hz AirLink working after manually updating the Q2 to v29 and the desktop app to v29 PTC (regular v29 desktop doesn’t have a 120hz option).

Still don’t really notice a difference in games where frame rate wasn’t an issue to begin with - but 60hz ASW feels like black magic to me on the heavier games. 90hz kicking down to 45 was extremely obvious but 120 to 60 is barely noticeable in comparison.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I got a 15 foot usb C cable marketed as an Oculus Link cable, but it was more like 25-30 bucks instead of $70, but since I got it, Air Link came out and I’ve been too lazy to use the cable. But I’ve been using my laptop in my room away from the router where I can plug an Ethernet cable directly into my laptop, and I feel like the connection is iffy and games get blurry and lag sometimes, but when I try to use the cable, it works and asks if I want to allow my computer to access the files on my Quest 2, etc. and when I first got it and chose ‘test USB connection’ in the settings, it said it worked fine and it was USB 3.0, etc. but now, despite my computer recognizing it, and it showing up as a storage device and charging, it’ll constantly connect for 15 seconds before disconnecting then immediately asking if I want to connect again. I don’t know if it’s actually the cable, because even though it’s recognized by my computer when the Link fails, it is a weird like L shaped USB C cable on the end I have to plug into the headset, and I feel like it’s awkward and not quite flush/weighs on the headset a bit, and the other end is USB A which I obviously can’t plug into my headset.

Again, it did work at one point, when I first got it, but I only used it a couple times before I started using air link. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just the cable? Is it really worth getting the official link cable, even tho as far as I understand, it’s just a long USB C cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Imhotep posted:

I got a 15 foot usb C cable marketed as an Oculus Link cable, but it was more like 25-30 bucks instead of $70, but since I got it, Air Link came out and I’ve been too lazy to use the cable. But I’ve been using my laptop in my room away from the router where I can plug an Ethernet cable directly into my laptop, and I feel like the connection is iffy and games get blurry and lag sometimes, but when I try to use the cable, it works and asks if I want to allow my computer to access the files on my Quest 2, etc. and when I first got it and chose ‘test USB connection’ in the settings, it said it worked fine and it was USB 3.0, etc. but now, despite my computer recognizing it, and it showing up as a storage device and charging, it’ll constantly connect for 15 seconds before disconnecting then immediately asking if I want to connect again. I don’t know if it’s actually the cable, because even though it’s recognized by my computer when the Link fails, it is a weird like L shaped USB C cable on the end I have to plug into the headset, and I feel like it’s awkward and not quite flush/weighs on the headset a bit, and the other end is USB A which I obviously can’t plug into my headset.

Again, it did work at one point, when I first got it, but I only used it a couple times before I started using air link. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just the cable? Is it really worth getting the official link cable, even tho as far as I understand, it’s just a long USB C cable?

The L-shaped thing is fine, I think the official cable is like that too. It's so it doesn't stick sideways out of the headset, which would be worse for weighing it down I think. Did you disable Airlink on your Quest? I think you have to do that before going back to a cable.