Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Y'know, I realize that Onslaught (the storyline) is about as bad a big bloated dumbass comic event with inexplicably extensive fallout as there ever has been, but I don't think Onslaught (The concept) is irredeemable

Xavier and Magneto are both shady as gently caress, with alarming frequency (Magneto goes harder, while Xavier is low key shady all the drat time) and the idea of Chuck taking liberties with his powers causing unforeseen consequences isn't that weird, because it happens so often, not the least of which being him acting all time skeevy in the X-Men / Micronauts crossover.

And more than anything , I think he looks cool. It's Magneto's cool looking helmet, with a permanently shaded in face, on a big pointy suit of armor.

If nothing else, he is way cooler than Knull.

Well here's a sentence I never imagined writing, but I should really read the X-Men/Micronauts crossover.

I imagine it's hard to find though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is such an incredibly low bar to clear.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Knull would have been an embarrassment as a villain in a single book, but then Marvel editors thought to make a whole crossover about Knull. That's certainly one way of doubling down on the cringe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I keeep meaning to read the 90's x books but I just don't want to have to deal with Onslaught BS. Though I guess this is a good excuse.

Is there a good reading order out there?

radlum
May 13, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Y'know, I realize that Onslaught (the storyline) is about as bad a big bloated dumbass comic event with inexplicably extensive fallout as there ever has been, but I don't think Onslaught (The concept) is irredeemable

Xavier and Magneto are both shady as gently caress, with alarming frequency (Magneto goes harder, while Xavier is low key shady all the drat time) and the idea of Chuck taking liberties with his powers causing unforeseen consequences isn't that weird, because it happens so often, not the least of which being him acting all time skeevy in the X-Men / Micronauts crossover.

And more than anything , I think he looks cool. It's Magneto's cool looking helmet, with a permanently shaded in face, on a big pointy suit of armor.

He looks cool as hell; I remember playing Marvel Vs Capcom and loving the design. He was such an imposing final boss that I was really dissapointed when I learned how bad the storyline actually was. What a waste.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

I keeep meaning to read the 90's x books but I just don't want to have to deal with Onslaught BS. Though I guess this is a good excuse.

Is there a good reading order out there?

It depends on how much non-X-Stuff you want to read. When we did it a couple months ago, one of the x-book club guys put together a 35 (!!!) issue list but we pared it down because a lot of it seemed tangentially related. We did this list:

Onslaught: X-Men #1 (1996)
Uncanny X-Men #335
X-Man #18
Cable #34
Incredible Hulk Vol. 2 #444
Avengers #401
Fantastic Four #415
X-Factor #125
X-Men Vol. 2 #55
Uncanny X-Men #336
X-Factor #126
Cable #35
X-Force #58
X-Man #19
Fantastic Four #416
X-Men Vol. 2 #56
Onslaught: Marvel Universe #1 (1996)
Onslaught: Epilogue #1 (1997)

There's also a Punisher issue (Vol. 3 #11) that is one of the most ridiculous loving things ever so I guess I recommend that.

We also read this: https://continuitynod.com/2019/12/24/inside-marvels-onslaught-epic/

Which gives good background about the original concept vs. what came out. TL;DR is that the original plan was for Onslaught to be ALL Xavier. The years of stress, etc. actually turn him bad and he's supposed to be Dark Xavier. WHICH IS A GOOD STORY! But editorial pulled back and the result was the Charles-Mags mess that makes zero loving sense.

After reading through the entire 90s post-Claremont crossovers now (we're on The Twelve and... bluh), I think Onslaught wasn't good but it also was just a big, nonsensical Marvel bullshit crossover. I made the argument that outside of more poor treatment of Magneto as a character, it's mostly inoffensive dumb fun. And having just read the original AoA a bit earlier, I would much rather read Onslaught again than that story. Age of Apocalypse is a story where the writers seemed to go "how do we make all our best characters dumb and bad?" (Generation Next being the big exception.)

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I remember The Twelve being incredibly boring and anti-climatic, even to young me who had less...discerning taste.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nemesis_hub posted:

I remember The Twelve being incredibly boring and anti-climatic, even to young me who had less...discerning taste.

I had never read any of the Alan Davis run but I think it is being criminally overlooked when people talk about the worst X-periods. Coming in blind, I had no idea how much the loving Skrulls would play in this story. Also, he created what I am insisting is the most offensive x-character of all time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Magneto and Xavier are not individually powerful enough to combine into a significant threat. I can't believe nobody was fired for this blunder.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Nah at a character level Onslaught was worse, from a storytelling perspective Onslaught was worse, and in the macro publishing sense Onslaught was worse because it led to Heroes Reborn which was many orders of magnitude worse and more disruptive than anything involving Knull. It's easy to look back now and say that when there's recency bias regarding Knull. But Knull won't be remembered because it had little consequence and was lame and at least had some good tie-ins. Onslaught was so bad it won't be forgotten for a long time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, Knull didn't actually change anything about the status quo, it just had a couple issues of seeing a hero deal with a global threat in the tie ins.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Knull didn't actually change anything about the status quo, it just had a couple issues of seeing a hero deal with a global threat in the tie ins.

I know retcons aren't forever (because they're retcons) but the whole Knull thing rewrote 616 history and placed a Venom-related character as one of the fundamental characters in the universe which... sucks a lot more than some marketing experiment from 1996 that people mostly remember for Captain America's chest to me. I don't understand hating Heroes Reborn, something that has zero long-term affects on anything and is just mostly dumb. Knull is probably going to be similarly forgotten with time but the stupidity is still very fresh and still is directly related to 616 stuff.

Also, on a personal level, I hate how Knull retroactively makes the God Butcher stuff dumber.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Plus, Heroes Reborn led to Thunderbolts, which was awesome. Let me know when Knull even indirectly leads to anything good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Plus, Heroes Reborn led to Thunderbolts, which was awesome. Let me know when Knull even indirectly leads to anything good.

Black Cat relaunch

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

danbanana posted:

I had never read any of the Alan Davis run but I think it is being criminally overlooked when people talk about the worst X-periods. Coming in blind, I had no idea how much the loving Skrulls would play in this story. Also, he created what I am insisting is the most offensive x-character of all time.

I'm not gonna debate that but Stacy X has gotta be up there for worst x-character

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Stacy X could be a really interesting character in better hands. Vindaloo is unambiguously offensive.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she was an interesting character during nightcrawler's group therapy session. one good scene is more than vindaloo ever got.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

Black Cat relaunch

Yeah but that book was good before Knull showed up? If the argument is that Knull gave Marvel an excuse to bring it back, I guess.

rantmo posted:

Stacy X could be a really interesting character in better hands. Vindaloo is unambiguously offensive.

There's lots of gross x-characters ('sup, Empath) and plenty of ethnic/racial stereotypes, but everything about Vindaloo- created in the late-90s!- is offensive. Every single thing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Heroes Reborn comics weren't good, but most of those books were in pretty dire places anyway. Tom DeFalco had completely run out of things to say with the Fantastic Four, Iron Man was about toothless rehashed youth drama with Teen Tony, Avengers had Mark Waid gamely trying his best amidst a dire status quo, Thor. Captain America was in an ok place, and Thor was in the middle of a weird and meandering but interesting Messner-Loebs run. The point being tossing those books aside and trying to take a wild stab at something new was not the worst thing in the world, most of them were either stagnant and unreadable or in a quagmire of ill-conceived inherited plot points (even the Messner-Loebs Thor has way more Red Norvell than anyone has ever asked for). That wild stab in the dark wound up producing, in most cases, even worse comics and the idea of farming out the books has always felt like it was doomed to failure but that's a different conversation.

Edit: I just started rereading Berserk which is a hefty project on its own, or else I'd propose a group reread of the whole Onslaught enchilada. I've been reading a lot not very good older comics over the course of 2020 and 2021 and I think it's pretty interesting and revealing to chart how character beats go wrong, how plot missteps snowball, how some bad stories poison the well for years while other are immediately forgotten. I think it's a good way, sometimes, to take the pulse of the medium at different times. Brian Woods' abysmal X-Men is bad in an entirely different way from Chuck Austen's, for example, and each is bad in a way that was only possible in their respective moments.

Edit 2: Thinking back on the long history of post-mortem interviews and retrospectives on Onslaught, it's striking how many good writers were involved and whose talents were wasted by an event increasingly spurred by editorial fickleness and corporate goading. Mark Waid in particular seems to have had a pretty clear, interesting, and straightforward idea in mind for who Onslaught was and what Onslaught wanted, but the groundwork he was laying got nipped in the bud by Bob Harras and to a lesser extent, allegedly, Scott Lobdell, who wanted to keep Professor X's moral character untarnished.

Edit 3: You know what, gently caress it, let's do this. I'll throw up an OP tonight for anybody who wants to read along.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 21, 2021

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
wait, are y'all actually reading the comics? i just like to argue online

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cloks posted:

wait, are y'all actually reading the comics? i just like to argue online
What? Read *comics*? Comics are for BABIES!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

or else I'd propose a group reread of the whole Onslaught enchilada.

Wait...

How Wonderful! posted:

Edit 3: You know what, gently caress it, let's do this. I'll throw up an OP tonight for anybody who wants to read along.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I imagine Ewing will use the Knull destroying abillion planets to do stuff in his space books. I mean, he already did it with snarkwar stuff.

Knew it was Onslaught. I've never read the original, but an Onslaught who knows the Krakoa plans might be cool. Though it might not be the original since it's orchis i guess?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

Edit 2: Thinking back on the long history of post-mortem interviews and retrospectives on Onslaught, it's striking how many good writers were involved and whose talents were wasted by an event increasingly spurred by editorial fickleness and corporate goading. Mark Waid in particular seems to have had a pretty clear, interesting, and straightforward idea in mind for who Onslaught was and what Onslaught wanted, but the groundwork he was laying got nipped in the bud by Bob Harras and to a lesser extent, allegedly, Scott Lobdell, who wanted to keep Professor X's moral character untarnished.

I think the Dark Xavier idea is great and simple idea. And I bitch a lot about the character assassination of Magneto after Claremont left but they had a wide open way to bring that back when they introduced the AoA version. A story where Dark Xavier is taken down by a returning Magneto and how that affects things is a slam dunk story. It really sucks that they got cold feet to execute on something like that.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

X-O posted:

Nah at a character level Onslaught was worse, from a storytelling perspective Onslaught was worse, and in the macro publishing sense Onslaught was worse because it led to Heroes Reborn which was many orders of magnitude worse and more disruptive than anything involving Knull. It's easy to look back now and say that when there's recency bias regarding Knull. But Knull won't be remembered because it had little consequence and was lame and at least had some good tie-ins. Onslaught was so bad it won't be forgotten for a long time.

this is easy to say now, and not in summer 2022 when Marvel unveils the Infinity Knull crossover, wherein Null sticks the Infinity Gems into his goopey symbiote sword and summons a dragon that looks like Thanos that destroys all of Kree-Skrull space, and is also revealed to be the double secret leader of the machine intelligence that has been set up as the ultimate final boss of the Krakoa era (CYBORG SYMBIOTES)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, I agree entirely. The origin they ultimately settled on wound up being so toothless that it said nothing interesting about either character-- it's just total fluff where we could have had something which, for the mid-90s at least, would have been pretty bold.

Anywhere, [url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968346] here's the thread! I'll be kicking it off in earnest tomorrow with X-Men: Prime #1 so if anyone would like to read along that where's we'll be beginning. In spite of how rough and rowdy this event gets down the line, I think Prime is a legitimately nice little one-shot, even if it is an artifact of absolutely spoiled potential, so I think it will be fun to re-examine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sounds fun, but I’m still in 1986. I’m about to finish the X-Men/Alpha Flight two parter, and then headed back to New Mutants for the slumber party issue, and a long stretch there.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Isn't knull a swedish word for fish?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

this is easy to say now, and not in summer 2022 when Marvel unveils the Infinity Knull crossover, wherein Null sticks the Infinity Gems into his goopey symbiote sword and summons a dragon that looks like Thanos that destroys all of Kree-Skrull space, and is also revealed to be the double secret leader of the machine intelligence that has been set up as the ultimate final boss of the Krakoa era (CYBORG SYMBIOTES)

What is this garbage.

Clearly they would be Techno-Organic / Trachnarchy Symbiotes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm ready for more Knull.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm ready for more Knull.

:mods:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Amazing that Soft Serve makes her comic debut on the same page as the Onslaught reveal.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

How Wonderful! posted:

The Heroes Reborn comics weren't good, but most of those books were in pretty dire places anyway. Tom DeFalco had completely run out of things to say with the Fantastic Four, Iron Man was about toothless rehashed youth drama with Teen Tony, Avengers had Mark Waid gamely trying his best amidst a dire status quo, Thor. Captain America was in an ok place, and Thor was in the middle of a weird and meandering but interesting Messner-Loebs run. The point being tossing those books aside and trying to take a wild stab at something new was not the worst thing in the world, most of them were either stagnant and unreadable or in a quagmire of ill-conceived inherited plot points (even the Messner-Loebs Thor has way more Red Norvell than anyone has ever asked for). That wild stab in the dark wound up producing, in most cases, even worse comics and the idea of farming out the books has always felt like it was doomed to failure but that's a different conversation.
All of this is fundamentally correct, but it's worth noting because of how many times this seems to happen to him, Mark Waid took over Avengers with issue #400. Issue #401 was an Onslaught tie-in, and #402 was the final issue before Heroes Reborn. It's not even like his Captain America run that got cut off after ten issues for Heroes Reborn, he really seemed to just being told he can have one of his dream jobs for three issues to do janitorial work between The Crossing and Heroes Reborn.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Is anyone else reading Dr. Nemesis in Way of X with the voice of Dr. Krieger or is it just me?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rantmo posted:

Is anyone else reading Dr. Nemesis in Way of X with the voice of Dr. Krieger or is it just me?

I am now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

since Dr. Nemesis was originally a pulp character from the 40s i always read his voice in a kind of vaguely-Transatlantic accented "radio serial hero" way

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

since Dr. Nemesis was originally a pulp character from the 40s i always read his voice in a kind of vaguely-Transatlantic accented "radio serial hero" way

Wait, what?

Do you mean his inspiration or personal history, or was there an actual Dr Nemesis in the 1940s?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dr. Nemesis was created in the 40s. Though his modern character is mostly derivative.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Wait, what?

Do you mean his inspiration or personal history, or was there an actual Dr Nemesis in the 1940s?

Dr. Nemesis was an Ace Periodicals character who debuted in 1941 that Marvel owned the rights to and was introduced into the 616 in 1993 in Roy Thomas' Invaders as Doctor Death of the Battle-Axis, and then Matt Fraction brought him back again as Dr. Nemesis in his Uncanny X-Men run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

Dr. Nemesis was an Ace Periodicals character who debuted in 1941 that Marvel owned the rights to and was introduced into the 616 in 1993 in Roy Thomas' Invaders as Doctor Death of the Battle-Axis, and then Matt Fraction brought him back again as Dr. Nemesis in his Uncanny X-Men run.

I had no Idea, I thought the Matt Fraction stuff was his first appearance,