Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robotnik meeting Knuckles in Mushroom World kind of makes sense and it seems like we’ve got a chaos emerald of sorts as well (I wonder if that means we’ll see Super Sonic by the end). I am curious how they’re going to properly introduce and develop both Tails and Knuckles and their relationship with Sonic in one movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It looks like they’re sidelining the cop character, which is probably for the best since we’ve established who the character is and Tails can now play off Sonic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if Coleen’s still going to voice Tails in this movie like she did at the end of the last one or if they’ll replace her with a slightly more well known actor/actress

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 21, 2021

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

I wonder if Coleen’s still going to voice Tails in this movie like she did at the end of the last one or if they’ll replace her with a slightly more well known actor/actress

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sounds like the Master Emerald is gonna be the big plot driving macguffin.

I'm sure Knuckles flips sides before or during the climax, but I wonder if we'll see Metal Sonic or if the big threat at the end will just be Eggman in some big machine. I feel like having Eggman keep the quill at the end of the first movie logically leads to Metal Sonic in the second?

And then they can have look-a-like on the soundtrack, please, please do that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

It looks like they’re sidelining the cop character, which is probably for the best since we’ve established who the character is and Tails can now play off Sonic.

it'll cut to them eating at olive garden and checking the nanny cams every once in a while

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The cop storyline was dumb and tone deaf in 2020 so it's probably a good idea to dump it.

"I hate being a small town cop. All i do out here is help people with their problems... why can't I be a real big city cop?"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Will Knuckles rap in the movie?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Will Knuckles rap in the movie?

yes, about fortnite

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sea Lily posted:

Sounds like the Master Emerald is gonna be the big plot driving macguffin.

I'm sure Knuckles flips sides before or during the climax, but I wonder if we'll see Metal Sonic or if the big threat at the end will just be Eggman in some big machine. I feel like having Eggman keep the quill at the end of the first movie logically leads to Metal Sonic in the second?

And then they can have look-a-like on the soundtrack, please, please do that

Some official Sonic music on the soundtrack in general would be neat. I forget, did the first movie have any?

Also as he finally seemed to have the character down by the end of the last one I look forward to Jim Carrey hamming it up as Robotnik in this movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In fact, with Roger leaving I honestly wouldn’t mind Ben Schwartz taking over the role of Sonic in the games as well. But alas he’s union and would probably cost more than Sega’s willing to pay.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
No more Sonic voice actors. From now on he communicates only by midi.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Less focus on the cop is good, but the original Sonic Movie was such bland swill that I can't get excited for the sequel at all. I hope to be pleasantly suprised though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Less focus on the cop is good, but the original Sonic Movie was such bland swill that I can't get excited for the sequel at all. I hope to be pleasantly suprised though.

Eh, I liked it well enough (and this is coming from a guy who was ready to write the movie off the second we got the first plot details) and I appreciate them delaying the film to fix that terrible Sonic model from the original trailer.

This one seems like it’s more focused on the Sonic side of things though so hopefully it’ll be better.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

No more Sonic voice actors. From now on he communicates only by midi.
All Hail Vocaloid Sonic

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

All Hail Vocaloid Sonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTFILY93a9I

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pants Donkey posted:

All Hail Vocaloid Sonic

Hedgesune Soniku

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Larryb posted:

Eh, I liked it well enough (and this is coming from a guy who was ready to write the movie off the second we got the first plot details) and I appreciate them delaying the film to fix that terrible Sonic model from the original trailer.

This one seems like it’s more focused on the Sonic side of things though so hopefully it’ll be better.
I wish they delayed it longer and wrote a better script.

It was just so nothing. I didn't feel anything. Sonic's arc was that he had to stand up and fight instead of running away but he didn't want to go through the portal anyway. His motivation to stay on earth seemed more out of comfort, he had zero connection to the people of Greenhill but got a big 'everyone stands up for sonic' moment that felt unearned in the extreeme.

Like theres a perfectly fine kids movie about the sheltered and fearful sonic getting mixed up with humans and learning to make friends and have fun and fight the baddie at the end but instead we got a car trip and a bucket list.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
finally played the Unleashed Project and while it's really impressive as a modding effort, and it was kind of nice to revisit them after so long, the Unleashed daytime levels, especially in the second half, are just kinda arseholes huh. i guess between playing them so much at release that i knew where the trip points were and just really appreciating like the freshness of the approach and quality of technical execution at the time that i'd overlook things i'd kind of forgotten all the bits that are just there to be pricks to you that now stand out with distance

as someone that was an ardent Unleashed defender at the time, i dunno that i'd go to the mat so hard for it after that

i'm glad they're doing the "Knuckles is a gullible idiot" intro

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The cop storyline was dumb and tone deaf in 2020 so it's probably a good idea to dump it.

"I hate being a small town cop. All i do out here is help people with their problems... why can't I be a real big city cop?"

To be fair, he does decide to stay a small town cop in the end. Though the fact that he's a cop at all isn't great but I'm not expecting many family friendly movies to take the cops are bad stance in the first place

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

Though the fact that he's a cop at all isn't great but I'm not expecting many family friendly movies to take the cops are bad stance in the first place

a neat thing about the current Power Rangers season is that they have a supporting character that was a police officer in early development, but then they were like "actually cops are poo poo so we shouldn't have this guy that's going to be around and important to the main characters be one" and made him a park warden instead

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I will not see any more movies unless Crush 40 is on the soundtrack

And I am not just talking about sonic movies

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

avengers endgame would've been 100x better if live and learn kicked in after everyone came out of the portals

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/sun_mp2/status/1396196571134496769?s=19

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sonic opens his mouth and it's just the Sonic CD jump sound effect.

"B-WOP!"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I guess the tweet is protected or something? I can't see it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The account owner limits who can view their tweets.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Looks like we might be getting a new retro collection to go with Colours Ultimate:

https://twitter.com/sonicstadium/status/1396241037346185217?s=19

No details on what games it might contain, but if we finally get Advance/Rush in a compilation then I'd be really happy. Or maybe the early 3D games? Who knows what we'll get.

June's almost here, they surely have to announce a livestream or something by the anniversary date. Surely.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Lines up with that supposed leak a while back, but then again it’s not the hardest thing to guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Port Knuckles Chaotix already you cowards (and maybe SegaSonic arcade as well)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They can't port Segasonic because it uses a trackball.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sure you can, either rewrite the movement code if you have the source code, or tie the position of the analogue stick to a given trackball value, so it controls like a regular game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's just a big mouse ball that's not hard to replicate with a stick.

It will have a big effect on how the game feels though, holding a direction versus spinning a ball constantly is going to feel really different.

But its Segasonic Arcade its not going to be that interesting even with a trackball honestly.

I played it at segaworld with my dad I died in the lava zone thats my segasonic adventure.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Segasonic isn't great but deserves a rerelease of some kind, and I'm sure the lack of a trackball would be a non-issue if M2 were in charge of the port

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve played the game before via emulation and it wasn’t that hard to control with a key pad (though it was a bit slippery at times) so I don’t really see mapping the trackball to an analogue stick being that terribly difficult.

Come to think of it, did the game even get released in the west in some fashion?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

I’ve played the game before via emulation and it wasn’t that hard to control with a key pad (though it was a bit slippery at times) so I don’t really see mapping the trackball to an analogue stick being that terribly difficult.

Come to think of it, did the game even get released in the west in some fashion?

I played it at SegaWorld in London when I visited back in 97 so it definitely was available in the west in some capacity, but it was the original version. There are files in the game (or maybe they were found in a beta?) of the US Robotnik design to replace Eggman but it was never officially released outside of Japan so they went unused.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I haven't been to SegaWorld London, but I definitely played it somewhere. I also played the arcade release of Sonic 1 that cut out Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone, and for years I wasn't sure if I'd just dreamed it, but apparently it was real, and I'm not crazy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I played it at SegaWorld in London when I visited back in 97 so it definitely was available in the west in some capacity, but it was the original version. There are files in the game (or maybe they were found in a beta?) of the US Robotnik design to replace Eggman but it was never officially released outside of Japan so they went unused.

Was what little dialogue that’s in the game translated or was it all still in Japanese? That’s the only version I’ve ever been able to find at least.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

Was what little dialogue that’s in the game translated or was it all still in Japanese? That’s the only version I’ve ever been able to find at least.

I don’t remember hearing the dialogue, but there’s not an English version at all to my knowledge. The version you’ve found is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don’t remember hearing the dialogue, but there’s not an English version at all to my knowledge. The version you’ve found is it.

I meant the in game text (which is mostly in English anyway except some brief messages from Eggman at the start of each stage)