Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I found that it wasn't very funny, that was my biggest gripe. I don't know if it was internal tonal inconsistency, or inconsistency between the show's tone and the comic.

Remembering the comic, what it seemed to have was a lolrandom lightheartedness at the conceptual level, the whole Chairface sort of thing. You don't get that in a post-MCU show where all your characters are super-duper serious and "gritty" and dealing with issues like PTSD and family members getting murdered. Tick's goofy happy-go-lucky fish-out-of-water soliloquies were always supposed to be incongruous with the setting, that's his character, but putting them up against so much blood-n-guts when Serafinowicz ... I don't know, nobody can sell the character in RL as far as I'm concerned, not even Warburton. But especially not when the suit is so restrictive of movement you have to stalk around stiffly like you're in armor. And it just makes it harder to buy his lighthearted take on the world when everything's so heavy.

And this is a small nit but I could only roll my eyes at the fanservice lines like "spoon" and "not in the face" which were both forced and nonsensical.

That is well put and actually made me rethink a couple of things. I did really love the kazoo cover of "Where is My Mind?" even if that song is way overused... just wish they'd release a kazoo cover of it.

Still think that 90's cartoon was so drat good and wish they had more of it but I'll add that to the pile of cartoons that I wish lasted longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
The Tick's had enough chances at this point, its not coming back. The 90s cartoon was alright but VB does everything it did 1000x better and I don't see any point in continuing to push a clearly dead property that's not really even popular enough for cult status

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't really disagree. I'm glad all Tick stuff happened but it feels like other properties have left it in the dust. VB, The Boys, Brave and the Bold, Spider-Verse and a dozen others have zipped right past it and taken over its niche. Superhero parody is not novel in and of itself anymore.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 21, 2021

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

pablo gbscobar posted:

The Tick's had enough chances at this point, its not coming back.
I hate to say this is right... but this is right.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Amazon series was good, but really. I just don't think it needs to be in existence longer than it then now

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I do wish the Tick cartoon would get a complete physical release with all episodes and Edlund/McCulloch commentary on all episodes. The third season was incredible for a cynical 90s 12-year-old.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

It's starting to look a lot like many predicted and HBO go is gonna sink the company.

Are they sinking? In the past couple decades they've had some of the most popular programming – Deadwood, Wire, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Game of freakin' Thrones, Westworld, and so on.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I won't get my hopes up, but in my most optimistic moments I'm expecting a hilarious and satisfying 2-hour finale, only for Adult Swim to turn around and say "actually you can make another season of this" and then we get a weird disconnected coda in 2027.

It would be completely on form of Venture Bros has a finale that closes off some major plots only on the aftercredits to open up ANOTHER set of plot questions and just leave them dangling never to be answered

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is with Venture Bros is that the whole show kinda has an Escape To The House Of Mummies Part II thing going on; it's not the beginning of the story of the Venture Bros, nor is it the end. It does have complete story and character arcs within it, but the expectation that the adventure has gone on before the show started, and will continue after it ends. Though the characters having those adventures are likely to change significantly in themselves.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What if the finale is Escape to the House of Mummies Part 1? That’d be infuriating and beautiful.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Warbird posted:

What if the finale is Escape to the House of Mummies Part 3? That’d be infuriating and beautiful.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Part 1 and part 3 with a missing reel in the middle

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Part 4

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

What if the finale is Escape to the House of Mummies Part 1? That’d be infuriating and beautiful.

This is getting stupid!

Seriously, if they do that, I might form a team and hunt them down. My team will have me, Poe... and me!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is with Venture Bros is that the whole show kinda has an Escape To The House Of Mummies Part II thing going on; it's not the beginning of the story of the Venture Bros, nor is it the end. It does have complete story and character arcs within it, but the expectation that the adventure has gone on before the show started, and will continue after it ends. Though the characters having those adventures are likely to change significantly in themselves.

There's enough long-running beats that I would like to see tied-up without impacting that. I don't want anyone to follow Archer down the Reed Hole of the author just getting bored and obviously not caring or even forgetting about long-running hooks. What happened to the boys' mom? (I still care about this damnit). What was the whole Blue Morpho/Jonas Venture/Movie Night thing really about? And presumably some other third thing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Warbird posted:

While this would be funny and something I could see them doing as a gag, unless they are getting full rights to produce it on their own I think they have far too much respect for the universe and fanbase to waste the finale on that.

Unless they open Everyone has to go to the future, then gets their minds erased and plunked neatly into the events directly before Part 2. Which would honestly be a waste of the Part 1 gag and totally should be the first episode of the 2nd season of a spin off / reboot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hope they find a way to tie up literally every loose end. All of them through time travel.

The elder Venture that was a milliner was Hank all along.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Hank is going to bang Triana and it will the catalyst that finally turns Dean to the dark side

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Sash! posted:

I hope they find a way to tie up literally every loose end. All of them through time travel.

The elder Venture that was a milliner was Hank all along.

They’ve already established Doc has access to Grover Cleveland’s presidential time machine.

Escape to the House of Mummies part 1 taking place years after part 2 would feel pretty on brand. I don’t think they’ll do it. That kind of feels more like a Rick and Morty bit at this point.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

https://twitter.com/KenPlume/status/1398359553620721665?s=19

It's worth it...easily one of the best art books I ever bought.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
that thing is a tome and 22 bux is an absolute steal. if you have any affection for this show at all you should own that book.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wow. Solidly bought. Only 2 left in stock!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Get the book, y'all. It's an incredible glimpse into process, and if you like the show the book will just deepen your love.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe there's people without the book. Lad has pride of place on my coffee table.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
honestly, team venture, the show is in its twilight years and before too long you may not have another chance to get ahold of one these artifacts. act while you can.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

It really is a very excellent book, I would highly recommend

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I had a blast reading said book, go buy the drat thing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My favorite part of the book is when they’re reminiscing about “Love Bheits.” Publick spends two pages talking about how, yeah, there’s some stuff about Dean being mistaken for a girl that they would do differently, but there were a lot of great character designs and Warburton did a great job with this line and blah blah blah.

Then Hammer’s commentary is just “I loving hate this episode.” Next chapter!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Get the book, y'all. It's an incredible glimpse comprehensive, audio-guided museum tour into process, and if you like the show the book will just deepen your love.

Fixed that for you.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Imagine if they update the book after the movie comes out to cover everything the book currently doesn't cover

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I think that's just season 7 and the movie, right? Probably unlikely, but I'd buy it in a heart beat.

I'd also do a lot for that collectible Brock statuette they released a few years back.

I wouldn't part with the $1300 the yahoos and shuckadays on Ebay are asking for it, but still, a lot.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

So you read the book while you poop, big deal

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Its difficult to express how chonky this book is. First time you see it, like daymn. :drat:
I grabbed the book in PDF because its heavy enough that its physically tough to read at times.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh that’d be good. Where can you buy the pdf? I love the book but it isn’t practical to read on the go.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I bought the physical book then found a PDF of it to download (I’d already paid for the book so it’s ok) because it made it easy to actually read in bed or wherever

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My friend and I got drunk last night and speculated on what we wanted the ending for each character and plotline to be. At the end of it we realized we gave everyone happy endings where they chill out and just live a smaller, more contented lives away from the superscience world. Then we realized how far off the mark that's really going to be.

Still, it was a very fun process, though, trying to look at all the character arcs and where they're going.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 7, 2021

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Oh man, I want them to be happy but I'd prefer for them all to stay immersed in their wacky superscience/espionage/criminal worlds. I don't need big finales for everybody, I just don't want to see Brock on a farm quietly raising goats or something.

I also just can't figure out if I want Hank to be the protagonist to Dean's antagonist or not. I know I definitely want Dean to lose his hair.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nilbop posted:

Oh man, I want them to be happy but I'd prefer for them all to stay immersed in their wacky superscience/espionage/criminal worlds. I don't need big finales for everybody, I just don't want to see Brock on a farm quietly raising goats or something.

I also just can't figure out if I want Hank to be the protagonist to Dean's antagonist or not. I know I definitely want Dean to lose his hair.

Hair loss skips a generation. My dad got the hair, bastard. They seem well aware of this fact too since Jonas has hair, or maybe JJ stole his hair for real. Does Great Grandpa Venture have hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dean has already started losing his hair. He will be bald before too long.