Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Meskhenet posted:

So how do you regain hp in freedom mode?

There's a first aid kit you can make. Check in the personal equipment section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The thing to note about the scan range upgrade is that while 50m additional range doesn't sound like a lot, going from 300 to 350m is giving you 40% bigger an amount of seabed covered, and is even more worth it if you are doing it in a cave area where you could be getting up to 60% more volume covered. Additional range upgrades are even more beneficial as you stack them.

An idea is to set aside the materials to build a scan room and some power generation (e.g. thermal, or bioreactor) and just take it with you as a scan base you can deploy and then pack back up as required.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The hud chip for the scanner room is the best, the room is almost useless without it. In the room itself I just make four range modules.

Serephina posted:

Blueprints for the desaliator and nuke plant. Oh, that's in addition to the whole 'fully functional base ready to scan', that is.

Ahh I see, I’ve never used either item in any of the games so that’s why they didn’t register.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
edit: nevermind

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Fangz posted:

The thing to note about the scan range upgrade is that while 50m additional range doesn't sound like a lot, going from 300 to 350m is giving you 40% bigger an amount of seabed covered, and is even more worth it if you are doing it in a cave area where you could be getting up to 60% more volume covered. Additional range upgrades are even more beneficial as you stack them.

Just to clarify for others, this is because the increase in radius results in that proportional increase being squared for area and cubed for volume. It's a variation on the square-cube law.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Fangz posted:

An idea is to set aside the materials to build a scan room and some power generation (e.g. thermal, or bioreactor) and just take it with you as a scan base you can deploy and then pack back up as required.

My standards for outposts is like, scanner room+multipurpose with bioreactor and a growbed or two for melons. Solar panel on top depending on depth.

Just recently got the blueprints for thermal so I've gotta keep spots for that in mind now too.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

coolusername posted:

How do you use scanner rooms? I built one but I'm not.. exactly sure how to make it work, to be honest, and I do need help because I'm so bad at finding fragments that I don't have a grav trap unlocked but do have a nuclear reactor recipe because I'm kinda randomly stumbling on things.

The basics: build scanner, give it power, select thing to scan for, wait until blips appear on the map.

It has an integrated fabricator to make its own upgrades, of which the HUD chip is the most important one. Unfortunately that requires magnetite, which can be a pain to find. Without the HUD chip you'll have to watch the 3D map for blips, and then see what direction and distance they are from your scanner room, and then go looking in that general area.

With the HUD chip you can just swim around and the scanner will stream the information to your HUD, which makes it about a billion times easier to use.

There's also range and speed upgrades. I mostly go for 2 of each, unless I really really want the extra range. (Range upgrade also needs magnetite which makes them expensive. #1 goal for scanners at the start = find more magnetite.)

The last upgrade are the cameras. You get them by default in SN, in BZ you need to make them manually. I prefer the BZ system because they are useless. Don't make them. (I'd even go as far to, in SN vanilla, to go take them out and throw them in the trash.)

More generally, it's a good idea to make a scanner room in several places: your base, and at other interesting places. You can either make a new one each time, or demolish & rebuild. I mostly make new ones because I sometimes return to the existing ones and because the config can be slightly different. (Mostly because of different power needs.)

It can be a good idea to take the upgrades with you however, especially because the range upgrades can be precious.

Also, WARNING! If you demolish your scanner room with the upgrades still in there, you will LOSE THE UPGRADES.

Finally: the scanner room (at least in Subnautica, I'm less sure about BZ), can only detect items when the game has loaded in enough of the area. So you may need to have a swim around your scanner first, to force the game to load in the surrounding area, before your scanner will work properly. This will reset each time your game loads.

uXs fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 21, 2021

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zerilan posted:

My standards for outposts is like, scanner room+multipurpose with bioreactor and a growbed or two for melons. Solar panel on top depending on depth.

Just recently got the blueprints for thermal so I've gotta keep spots for that in mind now too.
The above warnings about the scanner room only being able to find stuff from loaded terrain reminds me (Which is basically one of the inadvertent "Uses" of a camera drone I guess )

Keep in mind that if it is anything like the first game, remote transmitted thermal power might not be active at first loading your save unless you load your game in proximity to the heat source due to "The thermal generators are loaded, but not their heat source terrain" antics.

So a bioreactor is always a good time as a backup just to ensure the air is on.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 21, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
There's a mod meant to fix that issue with scanner rooms, but also I have my camera drones spread out and just cycle them if I think I need to for terrain loading.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Thanks for the help! I was interacting to select the type of thing, seeing nothing happen after, and leaving assuming I missed some part of the construction. I’ll definitely need to install a proper reactor in my base since right now it’s all solar but it cuts out every now and then.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oasx posted:

In the first game you can potentially play a long time before finding the fragments for the charger, but in this one you get it together with the base builder (another great gameplay change), so I don't feel that battery power is a problem.

Don’t the charging fins require some late-game mats with hard to find components like benzene and synthetic fibers n poo poo?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fangz posted:

Pull out the cameras?

So you don't know about the HUD chip?

I don’t have the tech for mining/haven’t set up yet another goddamn scanner base for magnetite yet.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t have the tech for mining/haven’t set up yet another goddamn scanner base for magnetite yet.

Magnetite is kind of unusual in BZ, where you can find it ... the easiest place to get it is on land in one of the many many resource seams near phi robotics. otherwise, there are some hallow icebergs you can cut into, or the end game biome has some sitting on the ground

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Magnetite is kind of unusual in BZ, where you can find it ... the easiest place to get it is on land in one of the many many resource seams near phi robotics. otherwise, there are some hallow icebergs you can cut into, or the end game biome has some sitting on the ground

Christ, okay. So for those reading, make sure to hit up the marked areas on the Alterra map as soon as you can. The loop seems to be:

10 reach bases
20 reach signals
30 get resources
40 get upgrades
50 goto 10

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Also if you want to force a scan for an item you’ve got one/a few of (and need more), drop it outside the scanning room so the room picks it up as a scannable object...then go for a swim and see how many more blips show up along your journey :)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've heard that advice about scanner room bugs, but honestly in BZ it seems to work as advertised. Finding blips where the nearest is 400m away, etc.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm pretty sure the scanner room DOES find items further away from what is loaded, if you just give it time. It just takes a long time to scan. Hence being given the option to improve speed with chips (But IMO that's really never a better option than simply widening the search area and going out to explore while it scans).

Also - decided to set up base on the big ridge in the NW. I'm bordering underwater islands, the northwest blood kelp zone, the western mushroom forest, and the northwest grassy plateau. A very centralized location for endgame access to the lost river under the blood kelp zone, and in the meantime tons of wrecks to explore nearby while I set up my sprawling hamster habitat.

khy fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 21, 2021

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Thanks to the goon that posted that list of QoL mods a few days ago. I only installed the SnapBuilder mod, but it's calmed my nerves significantly. My lockers not lining up caused me way more anxiety than anything else in either of these games.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tsar Mikey posted:

My lockers not lining up caused me way more anxiety than anything else in either of these games.

There's a mod for that You should probably go see a doctor about that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PDP-1 posted:

I followed one of those alien pipe things until it disappeared into a glacier near Phi Base station and found what looked to be a transparent sheet of ice wall that I couldn't break or laser cut blocking then entrance to a cave. The seaglide 3D map shows a tunnel behind it - is there some way to get in there?

Yeah, I found it early and put a beacon on it assuming it was going to be important and I never ended up getting near it again.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Zesty posted:

Yeah, I found it early and put a beacon on it assuming it was going to be important and I never ended up getting near it again.

You can cut through it with the laser cutter but only from the other side (apparently). It's just a long tunnel that leads up to the ice worm area, there isn't anything special in there.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

On my way to the the bridge I found a cave that is blocked off by a layer of ice(?).

How can I break it and/or get in there?

Edit: Okay I guess someone else had this question too just now. Ignore this...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You can cut through it with the laser cutter but only from the other side (apparently). It's just a long tunnel that leads up to the ice worm area, there isn't anything special in there.

It's confounding that the game directs you there with that long alien cable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have no idea what will happen when my nuclear rods deplete with no nuclear waste disposal recipe, but until that happens, this nuclear reactor above my storage room makes some very calming ambient noise.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I have no idea what will happen when my nuclear rods deplete with no nuclear waste disposal recipe, but until that happens, this nuclear reactor above my storage room makes some very calming ambient noise.

Pretty sure that where ever you got the recipe has the scannable disposal bin right next to it.
I've never gotten the reactor without getting the disposal in the same shot.
Was it in BZ in that place that Marg Blew? Then its def in that same room.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I found the nuclear reactor in mercury 3 but maybe there’s also a waste disposal I missed, I didn’t find the water filtration machine that’s in the same place until I was on my way out by accident when I saw the scanner icon pop up because it was so covered in rust it didn’t register to me as something to scan

I do like that you can actually get nuclear much more easily in below zero than subnautica, I only found the nuclear reactor very late in subnautica at the bottom of an entrance to the lost river which seemed very out of the way, hard to see and surrounded by enemies. which was too late in the game for me to take advantage of it since I already had thermal reactors.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 21, 2021

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tsar Mikey posted:

Thanks to the goon that posted that list of QoL mods a few days ago. I only installed the SnapBuilder mod, but it's calmed my nerves significantly. My lockers not lining up caused me way more anxiety than anything else in either of these games.

Wait until you start making exterior growbeds.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
You know what I like the least about Below Zero? How it's literally less deep than Subnautica.

In Subnautica you need to keep going deeper and deeper. You start by barely making 100m before having to go back up for air, and increase your maximum depth by getting better air tanks, depth upgrades for your seamoth, getting a Cyclops and its upgrades, and finally a goddamn robot suit to go deeper than you could ever imagine when you were just starting out.

That is something that is sorely missed in Below Zero, the sensation of going crazy deep.

Really hoping that if they ever make a new game, they go back to that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pollyanna posted:

Don’t the charging fins require some late-game mats with hard to find components like benzene and synthetic fibers n poo poo?

I think the only difficult mat is the young cotton anemone for hydrochloric acid -> polyaniline which you have to get from the deep lilypad area. Aside from that it's just a wiring kit.

I kind of beelined doing all the depth upgrades so what may be mid-game for me may be end game for everyone else

(edit): I guess you also need a diamond for the modification station, but those are pretty early

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 21, 2021

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

uXs posted:

You know what I like the least about Below Zero? How it's literally less deep than Subnautica.

In Subnautica you need to keep going deeper and deeper. You start by barely making 100m before having to go back up for air, and increase your maximum depth by getting better air tanks, depth upgrades for your seamoth, getting a Cyclops and its upgrades, and finally a goddamn robot suit to go deeper than you could ever imagine when you were just starting out.

That is something that is sorely missed in Below Zero, the sensation of going crazy deep.

Really hoping that if they ever make a new game, they go back to that.

I was amazed that they didn't make anything Prawn-only depth. I built the thing and carted it around expecting to need it somewhere but nope.

They could have pretty easily made the red crystal caverns below the crush depth of the seatruck and then you'd have to get down to the final replicator room on foot while grappling around on the giant crystals fighting the cave leviathans or something.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

PDP-1 posted:

I was amazed that they didn't make anything Prawn-only depth. I built the thing and carted it around expecting to need it somewhere but nope.

They could have pretty easily made the red crystal caverns below the crush depth of the seatruck and then you'd have to get down to the final replicator room on foot while grappling around on the giant crystals fighting the cave leviathans or something.

That's not what you did anyway? Curious if you took the truck all the way into final biome, I would assume the shock module recharge would to be slow to keep them off you in the last room. I ditched my truck as soon as I go into the purple crystal biome.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Nukelear v.2 posted:

That's not what you did anyway? Curious if you took the truck all the way into final biome, I would assume the shock module recharge would to be slow to keep them off you in the last room. I ditched my truck as soon as I go into the purple crystal biome.

I took the truck there and didn't even have the shock upgrade. The leviathans lose interest in you immediately if you hop out of the driver's seat and hang out in the storage module. It's very silly.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I built a reactor pretty early on, and by the end of the game I could see no indication that my rods had depleted even a little bit. I've no idea how long they last, but it appears at least to be "an extremely long time".

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Oh wow. The devs really did not expected the players to find the Outpost Zero from the surface. I spent 15 min just hitting invisible walls until I found a hole down to the proper area.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I was curious and tried to put a pengling into the bioreactor.

They are not good fuel.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nukelear v.2 posted:

The shock recharge is like a second long and makes it completely "overpowered" to the extent that the concept applies to a game like this. Your biggest threat in terms of damage is being grabbed by a leviathan and the shock upgrade makes it a complete non-issue. If you're out of batteries and can't use it, you likely have more serious issues to worry about anyway.

Changes to depth upgrades in BZ have the questionable effect of making the Prawn Suit only really useful on land. In the original Subnautica the Seamoth only got you down to like 700(?) meters with a fully upgraded depth module, so eventually you had to ditch it and descend to the late-game content in either the Prawn Suit or Cyclops. Both were more sluggish than the Seamoth but you were forced into using them out of necessity. If the Seamoth had the ability to go all the way to the end-game at 1400m you would never have a good reason to craft either the Prawn Suit or Cyclops (except for arbitrarily forcing you to do it to craft Cyclops Shield for the final rocket part) and that's what they did with the Seatruck this time around. Being able to take the Prawn Suit on land also makes the Snowfox functionally useless, there's basically no reason to make it except to get the achievement.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

nekoxid posted:

Oh wow. The devs really did not expected the players to find the Outpost Zero from the surface. I spent 15 min just hitting invisible walls until I found a hole down to the proper area.

Yeah that was massively disappointing. Don't really like most of the map design in BZ to be honest. Too much crawling around to find the one entry into an area, and then every area is kinda small to medium size caves with not enough space to have some unique vistas and features sprinkled around to help with orientation. The first Subnautica is way more varied in that regard, at least in my memory. At some point I learned that map whereas here in BZ I need to drop a beacons like bread crumbs to be able to find anything again ever.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rynoto posted:

I was curious and tried to put a pengling into the bioreactor.

They are not good fuel.

jail

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I just took the sea truck the whole way there and didn't have the shock module. The cave leviathans take like 20-30% health off the sea truck per hit but there are plenty of small crevices to go hide in and repair. I got tagged like 2-3 times in and another 2-3 times coming out, by the end they were getting more annoying than scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Honestly, with the shock module the cave leviathan is a cuddly-wuddly darling in comparison to the surface beakshark thing. Just let it close up and start its attack animation, then zap it. It ends up being 1-3% damage which is no problem. In comparison the surface thing deals 10% instantly and can't be zapped before that which is much more annoying.