Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its impossible to have a bad time with Michael Shannon around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Apparently it's also impossible to have a bad time with Snyder around, as everyone who ever worked with him can attest

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no i think its mostly Michael Shannon

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

snyder seems like a pretty nice guy to work with, from what i recall reading snippets of interviews! (never saw his stuff tho) :) definitely a big contrast with like, joss whedon

oh yea also i really liked SUF (saw it all in one go) and thought it was a unique, raw, interesting epilogue and spin on the rest of the show (along with being one of the very few things i can think of that's a direct follow up to something that just shows how people are rebuilding besides uhh og macross??)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mandalore on Pathfinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR-1t28ngkk

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Did Snyder eat the devil fruit

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Violet_Sky posted:

Did Snyder eat the devil fruit

which one

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Snack Zyder

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Grondoth posted:

Sexual harassment. Some of the most amazing series were ruined for me because of this. Car Boys was a masterpiece.

Car Boys was so loving good. I wish I could rewatch it without feeling my skin try to crawl off my skeleton.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Bleck posted:

which one

The Discourse-Discourse Fruit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shyrka posted:

Car Boys was so loving good. I wish I could rewatch it without feeling my skin try to crawl off my skeleton.

At least griffin and Justin have monster factory unless something terrible happened there too.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least griffin and Justin have monster factory unless something terrible happened there too.

I haven't followed the McElroy bros in awhile. But Travis is kind of a idiot last I heard. Not harmful, just dumb.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

I haven't followed the McElroy bros in awhile. But Travis is kind of a idiot last I heard. Not harmful, just dumb.
he's done some extremely easy to dunk on things, but it's hard for me to want to join in when: a) there's this weird desire from people for them to fail and be 'cancelled' that feels almost as parasocial as the sycophants, b) there are fans that will criticize them for talking about their own diet and call it fat-shaming which makes it difficult to separate the legit criticism from the way-too-online, c) none of what they've done in the last couple of years is anything more than unimportant poo poo. like travis got mad that people trolled him in among us. or he said if he was gay he would date ___. who cares. the world's on fire

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I stopped reading what anyone on twitter has to say about the McElroys and let me tell you my life is 100% better.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Mr Phillby posted:

I stopped reading what anyone on twitter has to say about the McElroys and let me tell you my life is 100% better.

you're not convincing anyone, Trav

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i really wish people would stop trying to justify why they find people annoying with them secretly being abusers or cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers or whatever. like travis mcelroy is a weirdo tool that’s very easy to make fun of and that’s fine

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

you're not convincing anyone, Trav

this is the first post to convince me Phillby ISN'T travis mcelroy in a trenchcoat because travis would NEVER stop reading the things people think about him online :colbert:

:ssh:this is a joke, and I'm also not actually interested in debating the merits of Travis because:

watho posted:

like travis mcelroy is a weirdo tool that’s very easy to make fun of and that’s fine

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

good video except for the stupid dig at 4E

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

good video except for the stupid dig at 4E

Shut down the thread, we got a live one.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
He was way too kind to the writing in that game. It's just…bad. Comically inept, cliched. I have no idea why the game has so much text in dialogue. It's no Planescape Torment, that's for sure.

And the encounter design… I've played with rear end in a top hat GMs before, and that was exactly how this game felt. Old Sycamore Depths and its deluge of weak encounters that do permanent stat damage was so much fun without a cleric because the only cleric at that point decides to go with the Obviously Evil Designated Villain instead, because he's so trustworthy. Just the freshest of D&D tropes.

I was not a fan.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Man who really likes fiddly groggy video games didn't know anyone who played 4th ed. Also water wet.

Antigravitas posted:

He was way too kind to the writing in that game. It's just…bad. Comically inept, cliched. I have no idea why the game has so much text in dialogue. It's no Planescape Torment, that's for sure.

And the encounter design… I've played with rear end in a top hat GMs before, and that was exactly how this game felt. Old Sycamore Depths and its deluge of weak encounters that do permanent stat damage was so much fun without a cleric because the only cleric at that point decides to go with the Obviously Evil Designated Villain instead, because he's so trustworthy. Just the freshest of D&D tropes.

I was not a fan.
Harrim isn't the only cleric, you can get a different one at the elk temple.

Really the only place encounter design felt bad compared to any other mechanics heavy isometric rpg was in the House at the Edge of Time. That was wretched.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 21, 2021

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
lmao at that obvious self insert character. Like, for a moment I thought it was gonna be a big self-aware joke on the part of that whole cliché but lol nope Kickstarter backer.

Reminds me of when the tabletop game Guild Ball (:rip:) added it's highest paying backer as a captain for one of the game's factions, and not only did the character look constantly out of place due to having to translate the dude's likeness into the game's style and his fluff really self-serving, it was hilarious watching them have to twist that faction's storylines around him to avoid anything bad happening to that character, even as the rest of the faction stabbed/schemed against/slept with each other.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

lmao at that obvious self insert character. Like, for a moment I thought it was gonna be a big self-aware joke on the part of that whole cliché but lol nope Kickstarter backer.

Reminds me of when the tabletop game Guild Ball (:rip:) added it's highest paying backer as a captain for one of the game's factions, and not only did the character look constantly out of place due to having to translate the dude's likeness into the game's style and his fluff really self-serving, it was hilarious watching them have to twist that faction's storylines around him to avoid anything bad happening to that character, even as the rest of the faction stabbed/schemed against/slept with each other.

honestly only surprised it wasn't the boomerang guy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qQim09n6mY

History Buffs is back

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's what all his videos are, and it's why his best video is the fallout 76 bug documentation one. He should really stick to explaining interesting technical issues and interactions rather than his normal reviews.

Gonna be a hard contrarian here because that Witcher 1 video owns and genuinely fills the niche of being a superior way to enjoy the game than actually playing it (that last act and the loving act 2 swamp dear god). Here it is for anyone who has somehow missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtrAx-rVgco

I think his worst videos are his gameplay-focused ones because they all go in inane and insane directions. The Mario and Breath of the Wild videos especially go full :brainworms: very quickly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Terrible Opinions posted:

Man who really likes fiddly groggy video games didn't know anyone who played 4th ed. Also water wet.
Harrim isn't the only cleric, you can get a different one at the elk temple.

Really the only place encounter design felt bad compared to any other mechanics heavy isometric rpg was in the House at the Edge of Time. That was wretched.

There are a lot of issues with Kingmaker's encounter designs specifically because it plays fast and loose with the tabletop's rules to the point where even if you know what you're doing it can be frustrating because sometimes poo poo just doesn't do what it should, or does poo poo it shouldn't. Also dogs and tripping in Kingmaker are absolute bullshit.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

SteelMentor posted:

I thought that would be Linzi because she's an annoying fangirl and she sounds like what a nerd would make but now learning it's Darven, it makes loads more sense.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That game was just too much for me. It felt like every choice I was making for the character was wrong even if it wasn't because there were no less than ten billion other choices I could have been making and maybe one of those was better?! I backed it but it ended up not being a game for me.

I'll also second not liking the encounter design. It felt like it was coming from a DM who hated the party playing and wanted them dead as soon as possible so they can find another group to DM.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
IIRC, the original module was designed for a party of four, so to scale things for six PCs the developers boosted enemy stats a bunch.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CYBEReris posted:

the show explicitly defines zaheer's gang as anarchists to connect them to a real world ideology but then pulls back and defines anarchism as "lol chaos" so that they have no long-term praxis and no plans of how to deal with the aftermath of the earth queen being assassinated. i'm not an anarchist but i can see how that would be frustrating to them given it's just reflecting real life stereotypes of the selfish adventurist anarchist back at them when they might be struggling to set up mutual aid networks and poo poo

The counterpoint to this is there ARE plenty of anarchists like that. You can argue no true scotsman bout it but anyone who's been involved with leftist university circles knows them. They're the worst until the tankies start talking.

Like the show not showing decent anarchism to contrast is I guess a criticism. But I'm not gonna expect nuanced political analysis from my children's cartoon. The fact it's doing a pastiche of early 20th century history is kind of enough.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

MiddleOne posted:

Gonna be a hard contrarian here because that Witcher 1 video owns and genuinely fills the niche of being a superior way to enjoy the game than actually playing it (that last act and the loving act 2 swamp dear god). Here it is for anyone who has somehow missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtrAx-rVgco

I think his worst videos are his gameplay-focused ones because they all go in inane and insane directions. The Mario and Breath of the Wild videos especially go full :brainworms: very quickly.

He’s 100% correct on Mario Odyssey. Oh boy another moon cause I stomped the ground.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nuebot posted:

There are a lot of issues with Kingmaker's encounter designs specifically because it plays fast and loose with the tabletop's rules to the point where even if you know what you're doing it can be frustrating because sometimes poo poo just doesn't do what it should, or does poo poo it shouldn't. Also dogs and tripping in Kingmaker are absolute bullshit.
What stuff was different besides making flanking easier? Wild Hunt fey were just as poorly designed on tabletop.

Good builds from tabletop all translated basically just fine to the game, my biggest problem was the enormous amount of assumed knowledge the player had and the game's complete failure to tell you how to play. Like Valerie is just as badly built as she is written. Yes they did actually give you a companion without the strength score to hold their starting gear.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 22, 2021

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
4e would have made some good video games. Shame grogs killed it.

GigaPeon posted:

He’s 100% correct on Mario Odyssey. Oh boy another moon cause I stomped the ground.

Counterpoint: I paid $$$ for a switch and there is only two games on it.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 22, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not grogs plural but one specific terrible grog in particular. 4th sold very well until Mearls sabotaged it with essentials.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

For those who liked Kyle Kallgren’s videos from back when he talked about older or more obscure films, you might want to check out Rabbit Hole Entrance. His most recent video, about a 1970 Czech film Called Valerie and her Week of Wonders, just appeared in my recommended videos and it’s pretty good. Seems like he covers a lot of art house/indie stuff.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

watho posted:

i’ve never watched korra but here’s my take on it

this is also my opinion of Man of Steel

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
anyone who defends man of steel is nuts

pa kent alone ruins that movie

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Captain Invictus posted:

anyone who defends man of steel is nuts

pa kent alone ruins that movie

nah

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gloomhaven is 4E taken even further and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Joseph Anderson's Odyssey and BOTW videos were both correct, and I have played a ton of BOTW